Check your engine oil level guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeh62
Here's what's worrisome for me. Is a 5% increase really going to be THAT obvious on the dipstick? Think about it...that's a VERY small amount of liquid. Makes me concerned that it could go undetected.
Yes it will be THAT obvious if you check it properly.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Why is you line in the above pic not starting at the notch at the top of the orange measure zone?
Old 12-18-2018, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by securityguy
Why is you line in the above pic not starting at the notch at the top of the orange measure zone?
That line is the oil level point where I left it, after I changed the oil last time 4K miles ago.
I never fill up the oil to the top mark in any of my cars, there is no reason to do that if your engine is not burning the oil.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
You mentioned taking out 20-25 oz more than what you put in. That’s a helluva lot more than 5.8% of what you put in. Just sayin’

As I mentioned before BITOG regulars question Blackstone’s methods of measuring fuel dilution. They have an equation using the flash point, I believe, not a direct measurement.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:18 PM
Racer

One thing I also find interesting is I haven’t seen a bad UOA from a 1.5T (or 2.0T) with “high” fuel dilution. Bad meaning high iron or aluminum indicating extra wear beyond break-in metals being detected. I think that’s part of the reason for Honda dragging their feet. I’m envisioning corporate engineer types arguing with sales types “but there’s not enough to cause an issue [within warranty]” — sales type: “we have a reputation of engines going to 300k, 500k, or even a million miles — if we want to be GM in 1960, then you’re right, no problems here”
Old 12-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Master47
You mentioned taking out 20-25 oz more than what you put in. That’s a helluva lot more than 5.8% of what you put in. Just sayin’

As I mentioned before BITOG regulars question Blackstone’s methods of measuring fuel dilution. They have an equation using the flash point, I believe, not a direct measurement.
20-25 oz was total guess, I did not measure it exactly, it just seemed much more than 5q what I put in.
You’re right, 5.8% would be around 10 oz, and also I’m not sure how accurate Blackstone’s method to determine % of fuel in the oil is.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Jopa

20-25 oz was total guess, I did not measure it exactly, it just seemed much more than 5q what I put in.
You’re right, 5.8% would be around 10 oz, and also I’m not sure how accurate Blackstone’s method to determine % of fuel in the oil is.
can you describe your typical drive? Short drive, long commute, regularly get up to operating temps, often not fully warmed?
Old 12-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

can you describe your typical drive? Short drive, long commute, regularly get up to operating temps, often not fully warmed?
Those 4K miles (that oil sample was taken from), where mostly Summer miles which includes vacation trip of 1,5K miles of interstate driving and some other 100-200 miles trips.
My commute is driving approximately 2 times 2-3 mi, and 2 times 5-6 mi a day, and almost every weekend driving on interstate for about 20-30 miles.
I was using remote start almost every time before driving, but not more than 5 min on average.
My engine runs great, I don’t see or hear anything unusual whatsoever, an I tried my best to brake it in properly. Since this is my sixth new car in my lifetime, I have some experience with it. There is a lot of short trips in those 4K mi, which is probably the main contributor to this issue.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably not a factor but what octane gas do you typically run?
Old 12-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gtclav
Probably not a factor but what octane gas do you typically run?
Always premium 93 octane, I don’t see benefits of using lower octane fuel since this engine is designed to use premium for optimum performance.
Unles you’re in an emergency situation, of course.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Its not about miles in short trips, its how long engine runs.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by russianDude
Its not about miles in short trips, its how long engine runs.
Could you explain your point please, because I’m not getting it.
Miles driven will determine how long engine will run, unless you choose to drive in first gear using manual mode, that would make engine run MUCH longer. I can not have engine run for an hour, if my commute is 4 miles, unless I’m stuck in traffic. Just saying

Old 12-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Could you explain your point please, because I’m not getting it.
Miles driven will determine how long engine will run, unless you choose to drive in first gear using manual mode, that would make engine run MUCH longer. I can not have engine run for an hour, if my commute is 4 miles, unless I’m stuck in traffic. Just saying
You can drive 3 miles without trafic in 5min without fully warming up, or you can be stuck in traffic for 30 min driving 3 miles. Engine has to warm up to full operating temerature and stay warm for some time.
I think you can let you car idle for 15min, and that will be enough to make sure there is no gas in oil. But thats not practical, Acura better fix it.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

That line is the oil level point where I left it, after I changed the oil last time 4K miles ago.
I never fill up the oil to the top mark in any of my cars, there is no reason to do that if your engine is not burning the oil.

Very interesting as I have never in my 40 years of driving ever heard of someone changing their oil and not filling it to the recommended level. If the vehicle says "5" then why not put in "5"? Are you trying to save money on a quart of oil?
Old 12-19-2018, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Very interesting as I have never in my 40 years of driving ever heard of someone changing their oil and not filling it to the recommended level. If the vehicle says "5" then why not put in "5"? Are you trying to save money on a quart of oil?
While its not common to fill oil only between max and min marks, this is perfectly fine and really has nothing to do with his oil gas dilution issue, does it?
The following users liked this post:
Jopa (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

No...it does not have anything to do with the dilution issue. I just find it strange to not fill the oil to the recommended level.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Intermediate

Wink

Very interesting comment, but that’s okay!
First of all, vehicle doesn’t tell you anything, vehicle manual says 5q including oil filter change.
So, if you changed the oil in 2019 RDX, you would know that when put in 5q of oil including filter change, your oil level is going to be at least a 1/4” below MAX mark, and that’s exactly how much I put in. Also, in your 40y of driving if you think that MAX mark is recommended oil level, you where wrong for 40y.
And that’s all about me trying to save money!!
lausy (02-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

No...it does not have anything to do with the dilution issue. I just find it strange to not fill the oil to the recommended level.
https://motointegrator.com/bg/en/gui...nto-the-engine
Old 12-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Jopa but I'll keep filling mine to full mark as I have for 40 years without ever having an issue. When I have a vehicle that the manual has called for "5" quarts including a filter change, the 5 quarts took me to the fill line, not 1/4" below. Maybe it's the anal engineer in me but I have never heard of this until the article you posted as I am sure most others haven't either. I never said you were wrong, I just commented that I have never heard of anyone, or a dealer, not filling to the fill mark. It's funny how in todays world of the Internet, you can find anything to support any argument. To each their own my friend and enjoy your RDX.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Any update from dealer/Acura about 5% gas in oil?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

My understanding is that they (Honda) are limiting themselves to confirming the dilution issues with the 1.5T and that the 2.0T is not affected. They may change their tune but nothing yet on the 2.0T.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

My understanding is that they (Honda) are limiting themselves to confirming the dilution issues with the 1.5T and that the 2.0T is not affected. They may change their tune but nothing yet on the 2.0T.
yeah, but the guy has oil analysis report, what are they going to tell him? “Ignore the report, its ok”
Old 12-21-2018, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts

yeah, but the guy has oil analysis report, what are they going to tell him? “Ignore the report, its ok”
probably just say that it is operating as designed. It should be interesting if many other current RDX owners get analysis done. Curious to see the differences in reports based upon daily commutes (i.e....5 miles vs 50 miles for typical daily use)
Old 12-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by quantum7
probably just say that it is operating as designed. It should be interesting if many other current RDX owners get analysis done. Curious to see the differences in reports based upon daily commutes (i.e....5 miles vs 50 miles for typical daily use)
I dont think many people will do UOA, this is not for your typical car owner.... I wonder if they say 5% is OK (typically should never be more than 2%), or they will question blackstone UOA validity.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Any update from dealer/Acura about 5% gas in oil?
No, I didn’t even have time to do anything with the dealer yet, and since in the past I had some horrible experiences with dealer service in general (my current dealer is one of them), I don’t want them to touch my car unless I really have to.
The same day I found out about the issue, I changed the oil and filter right away, and I know they wouldn’t do anything else about it since the engine is running perfectly. MPG is on par with what most of us are posting here, and in general performance is just as it should be.
The main reason I did an oil analysis is to find out what’s going on, and based on that, will I keep the car after lease is up or not. So, after all this mess with these new Honda turbo-direct injection engines and how many customers are effected, I’m almost positive that I’ll be done with this car in 2.5 years.
I will definitely bring the car to the dealer, if they come up with some kind of solution for this issue in general, and if it turns out to be similar to 1.5t problem, but even that will not change my decision not keeping the car after the lease is done. Until then, I will keep checking my oil weekly and change it every 3-4K miles to keep it fresh using good high quality full synthetic oil. On my next oil change, I probably do another test to see if anything changed. For those of you guys, especially who purchased the car and planing to keep it for many years, and who find the oil level on dipstick to be somewhat over the MAX mark, I would recommend to do an oil analysis somewhere, just to make sure and know what is lubricating your engine. I just hope that I’m the only one who found fuel in oil, and I would be okay with that.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

The dealer and Acura need to hear the complaints and see evidence before they do anything. You guys need to speak up, they really dont do anything unless people complain or engine problems happen. It will be too long before engine problems begin to happen, so let them know early enough
Old 12-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Burning Brakes

We don't use the RDX on short commutes unless we're just heading down the road to the store and back. My wife drives about 25 miles each way to work and that is, typically, what the RDX sees. I check the oil level weekly and have seen no signs of the oil going higher than full mark on the dipstick. We are quickly approaching 4K miles and remain very happy with the vehicle.

If the issue is anything like the 1.5T, it is based solely on short commutes and cold weather conditions. I experience neither so I'm not the best person to increase the sample size.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:55 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
I just find it strange to not fill the oil to the recommended level.
The "recommended oil level" is between the "min" line and the "max" line. Otherwise, the lines would be labelled "normal" and "too damn low".

I've been filling my oil "between the lines" for about 4.2 decades and have yet to seize an engine.

OTOH I just got a notice from Honda about my daughter's 2018 CRV with the 1.5T: Bring it in for software change and replacement of A/C control module. Failure to do so ASAP may be considered neglect and may adversely affect warranty coverage. ( slightly paraphrased ) Not to be rude, but WTF?!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Wander:
bldrdx (06-01-2019), Jopa (12-22-2018), lausy (02-19-2019)
Old 12-22-2018, 06:42 AM
Racer

Not only rude but riddled with irony. At first (before the Chinese government stopped sales of the 1.5T), it was “normal” operation without adverse effects. Now it’s considered neglect if it’s not taken care of immediately. Deny, deny, and counter-accuse (“drive your car for longer trips”), then when the pressure builds fall on the sword and take months to come up with a fix and beat customers down for not coming in sooner to get it fixed. I love human behavior.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts

I dont think many people will do UOA, this is not for your typical car owner.... I wonder if they say 5% is OK (typically should never be more than 2%), or they will question blackstone UOA validity.
I kinda agree but if I owned an RDX and thought that my oil was higher than I last filled it...I would have mine tested. And if it came back out of normal I would bring it to Acura. At the very least I would get it in their records that "customer complains....etc" when I brought it in for evaluation. Any time my Acuras have had issues I had them document the complaint. For example, they replaced a half shaft and it unsealed twice....both times with extensive loss of transmission fluid while driving. Had it documented just in case I had transmission issues later (luckily none).
Old 12-23-2018, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Honda youtube video explanation for issue with CRV

Curious3GTL (12-28-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
Honda youtube video explanation for issue with CRV

https://youtu.be/fVdKNRgzGT8
my girlfriend has a 2018 CRV that had this issue really bad, we just had the updates done and oil change last week, and before the car could be driven for 20-30 minutes before it would heat up, and that was in fall weather, it was rediculous, now in 20 degree weather after sitting outside it starts to register on the engine temp within a few minutes of driving and is up to temp in about 5-10 minutes, blows hot air very quickly now, the update they did made a huge difference. We also had a very high oil level and fuel smell in the oil pretty strong. I did check my RDX and the level is slightly high with the smell of fuel in the oil, but I honestly don’t think it’s more then what it’s designed for. Also being on its first quarts of oil and the engine rings seating and breaking in I think it’s best to check on the 2nd and 3rd oil changes before it’s really an issue. I live in Minnesota where it can get to 30-40 below in the winter, so far it’s been mild tho with 20-30s, and I park in a heated garage so I don’t have any problems with it warming up, even after parking outside it heats up fairly quickly, or average I would say.
securityguy (12-23-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I just ordered an oil analysis kit and plan to change the oil this up coming weekend. I’ve also noticed my oil smells like gas but haven’t seen any noticeable rise in oil level. Of the 3400 miles I’d say 1500 of them have been shorter trips of 5-10 miles if that sometimes so I’m curious to see the oil analysis results. I have also noticed how long it takes for the car to warm up and mentioned it to my wife a few weeks ago. Funny others have said the same. I will post the results when I get them back.
The following 2 users liked this post by yeahkkyle:
dukeh62 (12-26-2018), quantum7 (12-25-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 04:03 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Unintended consequence of how efficient Honda engines have become is they don't produce much excess heat so they take longer to warm up. Kind of a funny consequence that wasn't accounted for.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:03 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Takes my car about 3 or 4 miles to even show some heat on the temp gauge.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:47 PM
Banned

I got my oil sample ready to be shipped to Blackstone Laboratories tomorrow. I just put ~900 additional miles on the car and changed the oil today. I noticed my oil level has in fact gone up on the dipstick contrary to what I previously stated and the drain pan showed approx 5.75 qts drained. The oil smells of gas pretty bad also. After draining I refilled with 5 quarts Mobil 1 0w-20 Advanced Full Synthetic(extended performance) and it put me at an 1/8'' below the high mark. I'm going to keep track of the level over the next couple weeks and will post my analysis results when I get them back. If high fuel levels are found in the oil I will be stopping by the dealer.
subin (12-29-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 06:53 PM
Racer

With all the debate on which octane fuel to use, I wonder what the guys that are adamant about using the 'recommended' octane think about this. If fuel is diluting your oil, you definitely aren't running your engine with the 'recommended' oil viscosity anymore. I would think that's a bigger problem than losing 10hp from using 87.

Maybe switching to higher viscosity oil until this is figured out can mitigate some of the damage being done to your engine?

Fuel Dilution Can Wreck Havoc On An Engine - AMSOIL Authorized Dealer
Old 01-15-2019, 07:19 PM
Banned

I got my result back from Blackstone Laboratories. Other than the slightly higher fuel at 2.5% everything seems okay. I'm guessing the 75% short trips doesn't help and the car doesn't warm up that quick. I will be keeping an eye on oil level and will be getting another analysis when I do the next oil change.

subin (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:43 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by skarface
With all the debate on which octane fuel to use, I wonder what the guys that are adamant about using the 'recommended' octane think about this. If fuel is diluting your oil, you definitely aren't running your engine with the 'recommended' oil viscosity anymore. I would think that's a bigger problem than losing 10hp from using 87.

Maybe switching to higher viscosity oil until this is figured out can mitigate some of the damage being done to your engine?

Fuel Dilution Can Wreck Havoc On An Engine - AMSOIL Authorized Dealer
Actually, the engine will run more efficiently with thinner oil. Until it possibly dies an untimely death.

Under normal conditions, much of the engine wear happens during initial start-up before the oil starts circulating. Running a higher viscosity oil in cold climates might not be prudent. I might opt for more frequent oil changes.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:33 PM
Racer

Interesting to actually hear a recording of Honda stating something is normal and brushing off an issue (similar to the RDX). Really seems like it takes tooth pulling to get them to fix obvious flaws.
Havasubum (02-01-2019)

Quick Reply: Check your engine oil level guys