Check your engine oil level guys

Old 11-24-2018, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Check your engine oil level guys

This is where I found it after 4K miles since the last oil change
After I prematurely ( after 3.7K mi) changed the engine oil on my daughters 2017 civic 1.5t, due to oil delusion issues witch had at least 15-20 oz over the max mark, I walked to my car and out a curiosity I check the level on my 2019 RDX and I was in shock when I saw this after 4K mi!

Last edited by Jopa; 11-24-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

I changed the oil and filter right away and this is where I left it, and I’ll keep checking weekly.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Here is a little better photo
The following users liked this post:
Addonis (04-22-2019)
Old 11-24-2018, 09:40 PM
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
I just checked mine and it also smells of gas. I have 2,700 miles on Aspec model. Acura is in for a world of hurt if this issue has the same oil dilution problems!! Not looking to good in my book as this would also indicate they don’t know how to fix the Honda’s 1.5 issues either.
Jopa (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
I just checked mine and it also smells of gas. I have 2,700 miles on Aspec model. Acura is in for a world of hurt if this issue has the same oil dilution problems!! Not looking to good in my book as this would also indicate they don’t know how to fix the Honda’s 1.5 issues either.
When I drained my diluded oil out it also had very strong gas smell, and seemed extremely thin​​​​​​.
It had around 20-25 oz of diluded oil over the max oil capacity in the crank case.

Last edited by Jopa; 11-24-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Jopa

When I drained my diluded oil out it also had very strong gas smell, and seemed extremely thin​​​​​​.
It had around 20-25 oz of diluded oil over the max oil capacity in the crank case.
how did you determine it is dilluted vs overfilled? Did you check oil when you took delivery and then again later to observe higher oil level?
smell of gas can be misleading, you can send oil sample to blackstones lab and they will test it for gas dilution percentage. Some snall percentage of gas is ok
Old 11-24-2018, 11:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by russianDude

how did you determine it is dilluted vs overfilled? Did you check oil when you took delivery and then again later to observe higher oil level?
smell of gas can be misleading, you can send oil sample to blackstones lab and they will test it for gas dilution percentage. Some snall percentage of gas is ok
It also appears from reading that a very small amount of gas in the oil will make it smell like gas. My level is also reading above the high mark however I did not check the level when new. I’ll keep an eye on it to see if it changes and I’ll also mention it to my dealer on Monday.
Jopa (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:11 PM
Suzuka Master

I would not be surpised if at factory they overfill. There is a safety region that goes well above the max level so it will not damage the engine. When you monitor your level make sure you take consistent reading: after engine is fully warmed up, turn off engine, wait 1min to take a reading on a flat space.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, forget the smell test.... used oil has all kinds of smells, need to monitor oil level or do science like sending oil for UOA. Small gas dilution is acceptable
Old 11-24-2018, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

I would not be surpised if at factory they overfill. There is a safety region that goes well above the max level so it will not damage the engine. When you monitor your level make sure you take consistent reading: after engine is fully warmed up, turn off engine, wait 1min to take a reading on a flat space.
l did the first oil and filter change at 1.7K my self, putting in Mobil1 full synthetic 0w-20. I left it at just below max mark as I always do on all my and kids cars for decades and I know how to change the oil. I admit, I did my first change a little to early but I wanted to do it before my 1.5K trip last summer.
So that’s how I know how much more I drained out than I pored in. I’m saving the oil that was in, and when I get some time I will probably get it tested.
I will definitely keep checking my oil level at least once a week from now on. My car is a lease, and I was planning to buy it of if I was happy with it after 36 months, but after this chances are very slim for that option.
Addonis (04-22-2019)
Old 11-25-2018, 12:06 AM
Intermediate

The oil level from the factory should not be over max mark. I did check the oil level after delivery, it was below max mark.
Only “technicians” at the dealership tend to overfill it most of the time, I will never understand why.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:26 AM
Racer

I’m curious to get any insight to the following questions:
1) Does using 87 vs 91/93 octane increase the chance of oil dilution? I’m guessing no but not 100% sure.
2) I see a lot of reference to “Short trips” make the issue more likely to happen. What is considered a short trip? 1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles etc? I’m assuming the speed driven during the short trips would also have some importance to how quickly the engine warms up to minimize this dilution.
3) Is the oil level increasing in amount in direct proportion to how much gas gets mixed in? Or does the gas somehow cause the oil to “expand” if that’s possible?

Just curious on those topics as it does appear that this oil dilution can happen to almost any DI engine, especially with a turbo
Old 11-25-2018, 07:24 AM
Intermediate

I’m curious to get any insight to the following questions:
1) Does using 87 vs 91/93 octane increase the chance of oil dilution? I’m guessing no but not 100% sure.
2) I see a lot of reference to “Short trips” make the issue more likely to happen. What is considered a short trip? 1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles etc? I’m assuming the speed driven during the short trips would also have some importance to how quickly the engine warms up to minimize this dilution.
3) Is the oil level increasing in amount in direct proportion to how much gas gets mixed in? Or does the gas somehow cause the oil to “expand” if that’s possible?

Just curious on those topics as it does appear that this oil dilution can happen to almost any DI engine, especially with a turbo
All great questions,​​​​​​ in my case my commute to work is 1.5 mi but most of the time I drive around for 3-4 miles especially during break in period to warm up the engine to an operating temperature before shutting it down.
As far as speed, I’m always trying drive it normal and civilized as possible, especially new cars.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:33 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic Oil for example using natural gas into a 99.5% pure base oil and combining it with high performance additives.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts

All great questions,​​​​​​ in my case my commute to work is 1.5 mi but most of the time I drive around for 3-4 miles especially during break in period to warm up the engine to an operating temperature before shutting it down.
As far as speed, I’m always trying drive it normal and civilized as possible, especially new cars.
cars need to be driven more than that. Try to get it out on the road for a half hour/15 miles once a week, or at least every other week, including a run on the highway. I can’t see how 4 miles gets the car fully warmed up and keeps your battery charged, nor gets the engine oil,transmission oil, etc. fully up to operating temperatures.

(I could be wrong; I am no automotive expert and didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night.)
Old 11-25-2018, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

It could be moisture accumulating since car never gets fully warmed up due to short trips. Take a measurement after 30 or more minute trip to see if level goes down.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

cars need to be driven more than that. Try to get it out on the road for a half hour/15 miles once a week, or at least every other week, including a run on the highway. I can’t see how 4 miles gets the car fully warmed up and keeps your battery charged, nor gets the engine oil,transmission oil, etc. fully up to operating temperatures.

(I could be wrong; I am no automotive expert and didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night.)
Here is the problem with the “don’t take shore trips” answer. Many drivers have been doing short commutes for years and that is just part of their life style etc. I don’t think car makers should be dictating how long someone has to drive due to their engine designs. This is really on the car makers to ensure the cars can handle “all safe, typical driving conditions”. So if a dealer says to “Drive the car longer” that is NOT a valid answer as they are now trying to dictate how a car has to be used to some extent.

Also then the cars being sold with this issue need to state that short trips will cause problems so the buyers have the upfront knowledge to make an informed decision on whether to buy that vehicle or not.
The following 2 users liked this post by Midwestuser1:
DoLots (08-06-2020), Jopa (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
As far as I am aware, there have been no reported issues of oil dilution on the 2.0T...at least the last time I did an exhaustive search. I just checked my oil after reading this new post and I have about 2900 miles on the RDX and the oil level is spot on with no smell of fuel.
Jopa (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 09:38 AM
Intermediate

Here is the problem with the “don’t take shore trips” answer. Many drivers have been doing short commutes for years and that is just part of their life style etc. I don’t think car makers should be dictating how long someone has to drive due to their engine designs. This is really on the car makers to ensure the cars can handle “all safe, typical driving conditions”. So if a dealer says to “Drive the car longer” that is NOT a valid answer as they are now trying to dictate how a car has to be used to some extent.

Also then the cars being sold with this issue need to state that short trips will cause problems so the buyers have the upfront knowledge to make an informed decision on whether to buy that vehicle or not.
I absolutely agree with you, and I drive it on weekends on longer trips including interstate driving. I did the same commute with different cars for years, never had similar issues, oil level stayed the same between oil changes.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Short trips are fine, but now you must follow “severe” service recommended maitance which means change oil sooner. And if your level went up due to moisture by 1/2 qt, why is this a problem. Was this never happening with 2nd gen given the same driving patterns?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

So, you’re saying that those of us who drive to work 4-5 miles should look for other places to work, further away because our cars don’t like shorts trips.
I do drive longer trips on every weekend, including highways. I do agree that short trips are not good for many components of the car engine, but this is how we live, and car companies should design cars around that I guess.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Oil expands when heated so checking the level when the engine is cold is a much better method to determine the change rate (if any). I always check mine in the morning when the engine is cold and the car parked in the same location in my garage. That way I have no variables other than the oil level itself.

FWIW my level has been sitting at the top of the plastic tip since the day after I picked it up. This is either due to a slight overfill at the factory or my garage floor not being level, or both - but the key is there has been no change in roughly 3600 miles.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:03 AM
Drifting

So, you’re saying that those of us who drive to work 4-5 miles should look for other places to work, further away because our cars don’t like shorts trips.
I do drive longer trips on every weekend, including highways. I do agree that short trips are not good for many components of the car engine, but this is how we live, and car companies should design cars around that I guess.
No. What I’m suggesting is that you take the car out every week or two and drive it someplace and get all the fluids fully warmed to operating temperature.

In the end, it is your car, obviously, so do what you like.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

...but this is how we live, and car companies should design cars around that I guess.
Design is only part of the equation, however the laws of physics tend to restrict what can and cannot be done with the design.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Racer

Short trips are fine, but now you must follow “severe” service recommended maitance which means change oil sooner. And if your level went up due to moisture by 1/2 qt, why is this a problem. Was this never happening with 2nd gen given the same driving patterns?
I think if the car manufactures stated that gas mixing in with the oil may happen “under certain driving conditions etc” and then stated this will not cause damage people wouldn’t worry about it. However there are several unknowns regaring this scenario happening thus why reactions are all over the board.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by securityguy
As far as I am aware, there have been no reported issues of oil dilution on the 2.0T...at least the last time I did an exhaustive search. I just checked my oil after reading this new post and I have about 2900 miles on the RDX and the oil level is spot on with no smell of fuel.
You are in a warm climate and according to the “Honda forums” this issue seems to be more prevalent in cold climates with shorter trips. As time goes on we’ll see if this is really an issue or not with more owners out there. Of course many of the owners will never end up on this forum
Old 11-25-2018, 11:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Why people think its gas and not moisture build up?
What was extra ammount ? I would not worry if its under 1/2 qt
Old 11-25-2018, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

You are in a warm climate and according to the “Honda forums” this issue seems to be more prevalent in cold climates with shorter trips. As time goes on we’ll see if this is really an issue or not with more owners out there. Of course many of the owners will never end up on this forum
I get that I am in a warm climate and I am very well versed in the 1.5T oil dilution issues. However, ALL of the reports related to this issue are 1.5T based and NOT 2.0T based. There has not been a single issue reported, that I am aware of or on any forums related to OD on a 2.0T motor. If someone can prove me incorrect, please do so but I have found nothing to date.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

Why people think its gas and not moisture build up?
What was extra ammount ? I would not worry if its under 1/2 qt
I think it is gas because it has very strong gas smell that I never experienced before from a used oil, after I draine it in the pan. And don’t know what kind of other moisture could possibly be in it, to increase the total drained amount by 20-25 oz more than the amount I pored in when I changed the oil last time roughly 3.9K mi ago. I’m not a chemist, but I think if it was water from condensation, it would probably evaporate or separate from oil in the draining pan.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Racer

I get that I am in a warm climate and I am very well versed in the 1.5T oil dilution issues. However, ALL of the reports related to this issue are 1.5T based and NOT 2.0T based. There has not been a single issue reported, that I am aware of or on any forums related to OD on a 2.0T motor. If someone can prove me incorrect, please do so but I have found nothing to date.
Given time I think we may start to see more reports as I don’t believe the 1.5T reports all came out within 6 months of it’s introduction either. OP changes his own oil and has been doing so for many years on multiple vehicles. If he’s noticing a strong gas smell that is different than the dozens of other oil changes he’s done I think he has some credibility.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

I wish I’m the only one, and that I get proved wrong.
Time will tell, maybe the reason that there are only reports related to 1.5t is the fact that there is so many more of those engines in use in different cars, and those cars where on roads way before cars with 2.0t engines.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Just reading this post and went out to check my oil level on my Advance model purchased in June and no now with 5,600 spirited miles on it. I checked it upon delivery and the oil was exactly on the full mark. Today, when cold it was exactly on the full mark. Took it out for a ride and checked it about 5 minutes after shut down and the oil level was on the full mark so no issue with my vehicle at this time. I have only a couple of minor issues unlike many on this forum and I enjoy driving this vehicle every day.
Jopa (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 02:13 PM
Drifting

I checked mine today too. Around 3K miles, and theoil was at the top of the mark, and did not smell of gas.

Let me take this opportunity to complain about the readability of the dipstick. There should be some cross hatching on it to better show the levels.
The following 3 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
Addonis (04-22-2019), Funz51 (04-15-2019), Jopa (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 02:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've read all the honda accord 2.0t message boards and seen UOA on BITOG for the engine. I saw one report on BITOG with trace levels in the oil at 4k miles. They were running 87 octane gas regularly. Engines running higher octane didnt find fuel in oil in their UOA. Over time we will see if fuel dilution is an issue. However, I'm optimistic and havent seen anything to warrant concern. I will run 93 octane though to get the most out of the engine performance wise and perhaps to minimize the dilution issue
Jopa (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 02:36 PM
Racer

I checked mine today too. Around 3K miles, and theoil was at the top of the mark, and did not smell of gas.

Let me take this opportunity to complain about the readability of the dipstick. There should be some cross hatching on it to better show the levels.
My oil (19 RDX Aspec SH-AWD) definitely smells of gas compared to my wife 2019 MDX Aspec. Her’s has about 450 miles on it so it’s still pretty new.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Gtclav
I've read all the honda accord 2.0t message boards and seen UOA on BITOG for the engine. I saw one report on BITOG with trace levels in the oil at 4k miles. They were running 87 octane gas regularly. Engines running higher octane didnt find fuel in oil in their UOA. Over time we will see if fuel dilution is an issue. However, I'm optimistic and havent seen anything to warrant concern. I will run 93 octane though to get the most out of the engine performance wise and perhaps to minimize the dilution issue
Curious to why running 93 octane would make any difference?
Old 11-25-2018, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

I'm not an engine person,but read that when using lower octane fuel, and when knock is detected, they are enriching the air fuel mixture instead of retarding timing.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not an engine person,but read that when using lower octane fuel, and when knock is detected, they are enriching the air fuel mixture instead of retarding timing.
I'd be interested in reading about that. Do you have a link?
Old 11-25-2018, 03:19 PM
Racer

If there was some evidence that running 93 octane would reduce this it would be good to know. Now we just need one of Honda’s engine designers to confirm this for us
Old 11-25-2018, 03:30 PM
Cruisin'

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/4886894/2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check your engine oil level guys