Old 08-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Car and Driver slams RDX Aspec

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ot-performance
Old 08-25-2018, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
The A-SPEC is an appearance package for mainstream driver and if they ever do a Type-S RDX I suspect that will be a totally difference level of performance, but most people buying an RDX (A-SPEC or not) are not pushing the car that hard anyway.

Last edited by EE4Life; 08-26-2018 at 12:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeithL:
37tzee (08-27-2018), Ken1997TL (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
The APEC is an appearance package for mainstream driver and if they ever do a Type-S RDX I suspect that will be a totally difference level of performance, but most people buying an RDX (APEC or not) are not pushing the car that hard anyway.
i got the aspec for the looks, not for anything else.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:41 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

i got the aspec for the looks, not for anything else.
Me too. I did not like the wheels or the chrome trim on the advance, and the $2K difference in price didn't hurt either!

I am 100% happy with my choice, and the C&D column writers who cannot afford a Kia on their own can kiss me butt!
Old 08-25-2018, 02:06 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I am sure there will be a performance RDX sometime in the future. The nice thing about Aspec is you can have desirable styling if you like it, that makes it more sporty.

A co-worker of mine has a white/black Aspec. I like it a lot, but if it omitted the suede inserts I would for sure get it. The red seats are too much of me, but the black is nice. So I will likely opt for the Elite Platinum (CDN). Too bad because I love the Aspec wheels.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:24 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
This article has the RDX > a half second slower to 60 than elsewhere, and no explation or recognition of that.
The following users liked this post:
Ken1997TL (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 03:53 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
This article has the RDX > a half second slower to 60 than elsewhere, and no explation or recognition of that.
because the guy that tested it has a Chrysler Seibring for his daily commute and wouldn’t know how to drive performance cars anyway
The following users liked this post:
Shadow2056 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 06:28 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
The review result is predictable. It wasn't a Mazda.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:57 PM
Racer

Agreed. The test driver left some on the table.

The very same magazine had a 2017 Fiesta ST slightly quicker in the quarter mile.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ed-test-review

TFLcar drag raced both side by side on a shorter track and the RDX won by a nose. The RDX was pulling ahead at the finish, which suggests a greater margin of victory would have been apparent on a standard (longer) track (1/4 mile).

Old 08-26-2018, 03:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Right?! That stuck out to me massively. Actually that is closer to a whole second slower to 60 than anywhere else. I have seen multiple sources state 5.7s. So something is a little fudgy here.

I feel like they intentionally messed it up to make it look bad, every single other review has praised the A-specs handling and even saying it's as good as some RWD crossovers. So yeah no not buying this at all.

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
The review result is predictable. It wasn't a Mazda.
This post is so accurate. They seem to be getting paid generously by Mazda.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:00 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
THey are correct the A- SPEC doesnt offer any performance benefits over the any other Acura RDX. It is purely an appearance package. Had Acura offered additional performance, it would make sense to look into the RDX deeper. Doesnt Acura usually offer add performance to the A-SPEC packages? However, If you want more performance, I am sure we will be able to add more when the tune is available for the RDX. I know you can already do this on the Accord for $695.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Kind of a clickbait headline for this thread but the reality of the Car and Driver review is a lot different. I read the review before I saw this thread and thought it was pretty fair, but I read it again just in case I had missed something. The review is actually very positive. There are quotes like "the new four sounds great"..."the RDX A-Spec feels quick on it's feet"..."the interior matches the sheetmetal's allure"..."full of highly impressive stuff"...etc. They did knock the grip, the braking performance, and the touchpad. And they have always had an issue with vehicles that offer sporty packages/trims like the A-Spec that seem to hint at performance improvements but don't really offer any.

Also, a few folks have mentioned the 0-60 time difference between Car and Driver and all the other "sources." But you have to remember that all of those "sources" were parroting whatever Acura told them because at the time everyone was first sharing the 5.7 second figure, none of them had actually had a chance to do their own performance testing yet. Maybe Acura was being a little too optimistic with their estimate, or maybe the magazine's test car had an off day.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:42 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelEDC
Kind of a clickbait headline for this thread but the reality of the Car and Driver review is a lot different. I read the review before I saw this thread and thought it was pretty fair, but I read it again just in case I had missed something. The review is actually very positive. There are quotes like "the new four sounds great"..."the RDX A-Spec feels quick on it's feet"..."the interior matches the sheetmetal's allure"..."full of highly impressive stuff"...etc. They did knock the grip, the braking performance, and the touchpad. And they have always had an issue with vehicles that offer sporty packages/trims like the A-Spec that seem to hint at performance improvements but don't really offer any.

Also, a few folks have mentioned the 0-60 time difference between Car and Driver and all the other "sources." But you have to remember that all of those "sources" were parroting whatever Acura told them because at the time everyone was first sharing the 5.7 second figure, none of them had actually had a chance to do their own performance testing yet. Maybe Acura was being a little too optimistic with their estimate, or maybe the magazine's test car had an off day.
Agreed. It always amuses me how folks are quick to accept the quickest 0-60 time they can find as gospel and any other sources who get slower times are full of s$%t..... I thought it was strange the 19 would be so quick compared to the 2nd gen as we are talking about less horsepower with more torque with the 2.0T. It seems like a bit of wishful thinking the new motor would produce almost a second quicker 0-60 times (5.7 sec vs 6.5 sec) runs with such a small power advantage. I am sure this will set off a few arguments with the "40% more torque" figures thrown around a few months ago.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Drifting

It seemed in keeping with its peers.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelEDC
...But you have to remember that all of those "sources" were parroting whatever Acura told them because at the time everyone was first sharing the 5.7 second figure, none of them had actually had a chance to do their own performance testing yet....
Go to 13:15 of this video.

The following 2 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
catbert430 (08-26-2018), Madd Dog (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 05:59 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
Car and Driver didn't 'slam' the RDX.
The only people who slam the RDX are the trolls on this forum.
Most especially the people who claim to have experienced every glitch that has been reported and those who are still shopping.

The TLX forums are just as bad.
They should change the name to AcuraWhine.

It's becoming very tedious.
I think I need to spend more time enjoying my RDX and less time reading the endless complaints and concerns.
The following 3 users liked this post by catbert430:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (08-28-2018), oblio98 (08-27-2018), Shadow2056 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
C/D is not the trusted automotive source it once was. They're bias comes through in their reviews, sometimes sickeningly so. But one thing I rarely question is their official performance test results. Which make me wonder:

Was this particular test sample down on power?
Were early testers 'juiced', as was common once upon a time?
Has Acura made a running change to the ECU and/or shift logic, possibly to smooth out the rough shift criticism?

Regardless, I'm inclined to believe the numbers are accurate. 0-60 numbers mean little to me anyway since brake-torque launches just don't happen in the real world. 5-60 and 50-70 are the numbers I tend to focus on, along with seat-of-the-pants feel.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chickdr
Agreed. It always amuses me how folks are quick to accept the quickest 0-60 time they can find as gospel and any other sources who get slower times are full of s$%t..... I thought it was strange the 19 would be so quick compared to the 2nd gen as we are talking about less horsepower with more torque with the 2.0T. It seems like a bit of wishful thinking the new motor would produce almost a second quicker 0-60 times (5.7 sec vs 6.5 sec) runs with such a small power advantage. I am sure this will set off a few arguments with the "40% more torque" figures thrown around a few months ago.
There was a similar allergic reaction from the V6 Accord camp when the new 2.0L turbo Accord arrived. Then this video appeared:

To be fair, if I bought a vehicle and cherished / bonded with it, then the very next year a successor appeared that blew mine off the road, I might be a bit chaffed too.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

But it's the truth, the J-Series V6 was a great engine but having driven NUMEROUS iterations of it ranging from a 2003 TL with the 3.2 to a 2005 pilot with the 3.5 to my 2007 MDX with the 3.7, to the 2017 RDX with the 3.5 again however it was anemic at low revs IME.

The 2.0T not only makes full torque just off idle, it also has the 10 speed auto and superior AWD system to better put down the torque. It's wishful thinking to assume a basically 20 year old engine is going to be as good as a brand new engine with new technologies just because it makes a handful more horsepower.

Originally Posted by HotRodW
C/D is not the trusted automotive source it once was. They're bias comes through in their reviews, sometimes sickeningly so. But one thing I rarely question is their official performance test results. Which make me wonder:

Was this particular test sample down on power?
Were early testers 'juiced', as was common once upon a time?
Has Acura made a running change to the ECU and/or shift logic, possibly to smooth out the rough shift criticism?

Regardless, I'm inclined to believe the numbers are accurate. 0-60 numbers mean little to me anyway since brake-torque launches just don't happen in the real world. 5-60 and 50-70 are the numbers I tend to focus on, along with seat-of-the-pants feel.
I would not be surprised if they were juicing up the numbers to be honest with you. But I did see a few other sources state 5.7s and it makes sense to me given the power to weight ratio...etc. Now had they said 5.0s I would have called B.S on it.

With all that said, I am ok with 6.6 even and exactly, nobody should be out here pulling 0-60 runs on a regular basis. For me it's all about that mid-range passing power.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The amount of transmission gears alone should make it faster. More gears = closer gear ratios = faster acceleration through each gear, albeit a lower top end speed for each gear. But since there is ten gears... it can still haul at a good top end speed. Generally car companies make the final gear much taller, just for highway cruising purposes at lower rpm. Plus, who needs to drive an RDX at 120+ mph anyway. That’s just asking for trouble.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:43 PM
Drifting

What stood out to me was the complete silence about the large difference in the CD numbers from the other numbers out there. If, indeed, Acura was saying, say 5.8, and Alex was saying 5.7 or .9, and somebody else was saying 6.0, for CD to go over 6.5 calls for some explanation. But there was none.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I would not be surprised if they were juicing up the numbers to be honest with you. But I did see a few other sources state 5.7s and it makes sense to me given the power to weight ratio...etc. Now had they said 5.0s I would have called B.S on it..
Actually, I meant juicing the cars in the press fleet. It’s been known to happen, and it’s simple to do with modern turbos. It’s the reason Consumer Reports buys their cars rather than using vehicles from the test fleet. Speaking of which, I wonder if CR has published a 0-60 time for the RDX yet?
Old 08-27-2018, 02:45 AM
Suzuka Master

What stood out to me was the complete silence about the large difference in the CD numbers from the other numbers out there. If, indeed, Acura was saying, say 5.8, and Alex was saying 5.7 or .9, and somebody else was saying 6.0, for CD to go over 6.5 calls for some explanation. But there was none.
I agree that there is definitely something off with them not saying anything. I don't believe that they are lying intentionally, but that rather something is off with either the testing equipment or the car itself but them saying nothing really indicates something to me as well.

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Actually, I meant juicing the cars in the press fleet. It’s been known to happen, and it’s simple to do with modern turbos. It’s the reason Consumer Reports buys their cars rather than using vehicles from the test fleet. Speaking of which, I wonder if CR has published a 0-60 time for the RDX yet?
Sorry I meant what you are saying, that they played with the actual cars not the numbers. But to me the power to weight ratio...etc really does add up to a 5.7-6.0 0-60. 6.6s seems really out of left field to me. I doubt Acura would have kept ththe 2.0T if it is not only worse on fuel but also SLOWER than any RDX in history.

You're telling me that this 2019 RDX with DI and much more improved turbo and 10 speed auto is slower than my archaic 2007 RDX with a 5 speed and much lower power ratings? That is why I call B.S.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I do agree on the part about the tires and brakes. Still have no clue why the A-Spec is outfitted with Goodyear Eagle RS-A's as they are absolutely terrible (other than cost), and I really think that if the vehicle was even outfitted with one of the higher rated AS tires (Continental DWS06 or Micheline PS AS3+) it would be a night and day difference. The stock brake pads isn't anything special either, and I know mine personally squeals a little every time I drive my car for the first few stops until I wear down whatever compound/rust has built up on the rotors. Again nothing that a new set of pads can't solve, or drilled/slotted rotors if you really want to go all in. If Hondata ever comes out with a tune for this car, that will be high on my list. I think the stock brake setup is barely adequate for this vehicle.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
You from Michigan? I have never seen a new RDX on the road after i bought in MIchigan. lol
Old 08-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joe424242
You from Michigan?...
Yep, Go Blue!

Originally Posted by joe424242
...I have never seen a new RDX on the road after i bought in MIchigan. lol
Neither have I. A bit surprising since they seem to be leaving the dealer lots as fast as they come in.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:47 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

0-60 7.3sec at 2200ft elevation
Old 08-27-2018, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^ Altitude kills performance.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Drifting

I noticed that when doing the 0-60 run, they did not turn off traction control, nor did they brake start. They seemed to simply go off the brake and on the gas.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:19 PM
8th Gear

Exactly what I thought, there was no screeching as you hit the pedal (the camera near the wheels didnt hint at any). He is probably not making use of the very tall first gear which would have significantly affected 0-30 mph. Alex on Autos expected a 0.2-0.3 sec difference in 0-60 from his first drive at Whistler (higher altitude??) to his own backyard in California and he did seem to observe that.

I am thinking hard why Acura would modify the powertrain significantly to moderately improve gas mileage, emphasize more on precision crafted performance (engine performance curves also suggest improved performance, power to weight ratio makes sense), yet on their final test drive find that it runs slower to 60 than its predecessor. Blame it on fuel quality/ altitude/ driving style.

Can one of you guys here upload a 0-60 mph after your breaking-in period? I dont have a 2019 RDX yet.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jayanth_malatkar
Exactly what I thought, there was no screeching as you hit the pedal (the camera near the wheels didnt hint at any). He is probably not making use of the very tall first gear which would have significantly affected 0-30 mph. Alex on Autos expected a 0.2-0.3 sec difference in 0-60 from his first drive at Whistler (higher altitude??) to his own backyard in California and he did seem to observe that.

I am thinking hard why Acura would modify the powertrain significantly to moderately improve gas mileage, emphasize more on precision crafted performance (engine performance curves also suggest improved performance, power to weight ratio makes sense), yet on their final test drive find that it runs slower to 60 than its predecessor. Blame it on fuel quality/ altitude/ driving style.

Can one of you guys here upload a 0-60 mph after your breaking-in period? I dont have a 2019 RDX yet.
More than that, it's even slower than my RDX which had an archaic 5 speed and old 2.3T. So it defies my logic that it would be slower than that (6.3s 0-60 consistently).
Old 08-27-2018, 06:18 PM
Drifting

I don’t street race. Butt my scientifically calibrated but dyno puts it 6.0 or less. Comparing it to my 535 that hit 60 before the timer hit 6 seconds.

Scientifically Calibrated, mind you.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

I don’t street race. Butt my scientifically calibrated but dyno puts it 6.0 or less. Comparing it to my 535 that hit 60 before the timer hit 6 seconds.

Scientifically Calibrated, mind you.
I trust your butt dyno.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:04 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
C&D generally has the fastest 0-60 times because they do the 1 foot rollout and are more than happy to brake torque or hard launch whatever they have their hands on (see Civic Type R which they got a 4.9 versus mid-5s for everyone else, the ND Miata which they got under 6s compared to mid 6s). The power to weight ratio on the RDX doesn't add up in this case as the Q5 and X3 are the closest to it and are in the high 5's. Either the calibration on the SH-AWD is not launch friendly (eg. bogs on launch) or this particular car was a bit short on horses. I'd wait till C&D does the inevitable comparo of the class leaders and see what comes up.

The performance numbers (braking and lateral G) are disappointing but should surprise no one - the tires on the car are SHIT and Honda brakes have never been anything to write home about (they are also generally shit).
Old 08-27-2018, 10:28 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
^^^ Altitude kills performance.
It shouldn't with an FI engine. NA motors are adversely affected, but turbos should not be.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Burning Brakes

It shouldn't with an FI engine. NA motors are adversely affected, but turbos should not be.
That's true once the turbo spools up but until then it functions as a NA engine. Nit picking a bit maybe but in that video the delay is obvious after the initial application of the throttle (my guesstimate is 2-3 seconds). If he had done a bit of torque braking to get the RPMs up the results would have been measurably different, and I'm sure the same test at 100 feet elevation would be different as well.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:43 PM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
Though I’ve not attempted to time the vehicle from 0-60 in comparison to my 2018 TLX A-Spec the RDX feels faster. I don’t usually challange at stop lights, but the other day had a 330i try to throw sand in my face in that way some BMW drivers like to do. At the next light caught his as sleeping and laid the hammer on him. He was quite surprised. I’m running on Conti DSW’s so that might have helped a bit.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:26 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by durt
https://youtu.be/75iWibpPFDU

0-60 7.3sec at 2200ft elevation
This guy does not know how to launch a turbo car. Hold brake,build boost and then launch
Old 08-28-2018, 04:06 PM
4th Gear

I wonder if putting the transmission in S mode makes much difference to 0-60 / 1/4 mile times. Maybe C/D left it in D?
Old 08-28-2018, 04:08 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by HONDAFIXER
This guy does not know how to launch a turbo car. Hold brake,build boost and then launch
Agreed, and even at elevation he wasn’t that much slower than what C/D got on this recent test and they normally do altitude correction on their numbers.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver slams RDX Aspec