Can Remote Engine Start be transferred?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:36 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Remote Engine Start be transferred?

I currently have a 2016 Acura RDX AWD w/Tech Package. It includes the Key FOB Remote Engine Start.

Is it possible to have that transferred to my (soon to purchase) 2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD w/Tech Package?

Yes I'm aware of the 6 month free phone app via AcuraLink then $110/yr after that for the '19 but since I already have the hardware from the '16, I thought I could save the $$.

Any insight from the community would be helpful

Last edited by EE4Life; 08-14-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Correction from SH-AWD to AWD
Old 08-14-2018, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
First of all, your 2016 RDX is not SH-AWD, it is regular AWD just a fyi

Also, the answer would be you MIGHT be able to reuse your key fob for the new car. IF you can, which Im not 100% sure programming will work, but if it does, you will still need to get a new key that goes inside the fob to fit your new RDX. In addition, you would need to have the remote programmed to the new car. So if you can, you still need to get those 2 things done which in the end won't really save you much if anything then just getting the new remote.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:46 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
The physical key would transfer between the original fob and the remote-start fob. I just verified that I can exchange them between the fobs for our 2014 MDX and 2019 RDX. ( Which gives me another opportunity to screw up, if I'm not careful... ).

But the remote-start fob would need to be programmed to the vehicle, and usually all the fobs for the vehicle need to be programmed together.

But most importantly, the remote start fob isn't the only requirement. An accessory remote-start transceiver needs to be installed in the vehicle, and this requires pulling out nearly every trim panel in the back of the vehicle.

remote_start_install.pdf
Old 08-18-2018, 10:23 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Since the original car had the remote start, you would have to expect the dealer to want that turned in when you trade in the car.
As others have said, the remote reciever is mounted in the root above the hatch area next to the XM antenna. Installation requires removing a lot of the rear area panels including the roof panel.
And the programming of the fob can only be done with the equipment at the dealership, so it's a pretty certain deal that the answer to your question is no.

However, these days, anything is possible. However, I would advise negotiating a deal for the official accessory when you buy the car. Just mention that Curry sells the parts for $299.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I just have a hard time thinking this could possibly end up better than having the dealer install the right one in the ‘19. Between taking remote start away from the older car, and messing with putting it in the new car, what could the savings be between diminished value of the old car and changing everything in the new? Then, if the dealer does not just put the right ‘19 remote in the new car, future electrical problems might occur which the dealer will assert, rightly or not, is a result of the non-dealer-installed remote.

I fail to see how this is worth the time, effort, money, and risk compared to a dealer-installed remote.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I fail to see how this is worth the time, effort, money, and risk compared to a dealer-installed remote.
Exactly, with something like this if it's worth doing at all it's worth doing it right.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Exactly, with something like this if it's worth doing at all it's worth doing it right.
My father always said “If you’re going to do something, do it right, or don’t do it at all.”

You didn’t happen to fight in New Guinea under MacArthur, did you?
Old 08-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
...You didn’t happen to fight in New Guinea under MacArthur, did you?
I'm old but not quite that old.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I'm old but not quite that old.
My father would have been 109 now. But he is not. He had a good run, made it into his ‘90s.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have heard the 19 RDX does not have the remote start on the remote, rather an app on your cell phone. My co-worker just got the 19 RDX A-spec, and her remote has the remote start just like my 17 (identical key fob). Maybe its a Canadian thing. Can anyone weigh in on this?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I have heard the 19 RDX does not have the remote start on the remote, rather an app on your cell phone. My co-worker just got the 19 RDX A-spec, and her remote has the remote start just like my 17 (identical key fob). Maybe its a Canadian thing. Can anyone weigh in on this?
it’s an option you can purchase but it needs to be installed in the vehicle as well as a new fob. I have it on mine. I won’t use it much until the snow flies.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:05 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6

Yes, it is a Canadian thing, like the folding mirrors and adaptive headlights among others. The irritating thing is the US website configurator at first listed it as a standard feature on the US advanced models. It is now a dealer installed option that requires the removal of most of the trim covers in the rear of the cargo area to install the receiver along with programming the new key fob. They should have just installed the receiver at the factory and still charged the same amount for dealer installation to program the key fob. Reduces the chances of broken trim clips and squeaks and rattles after installation.