AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Buying in Canada for USA (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/buying-canada-usa-969896/)

oblio98 05-17-2018 02:43 PM

Buying in Canada for USA

Not that I would actually do it, but if in fact the Canadian versions of the new RDX have a combo A-Spec/Advance model, how complicated would it be to go up there, buy a car, and register it in the US and drive it home?
I would imagine it would be quite a chore - and getting it serviced might be tricky.

Has anyone ever done something like this? Just curious.

thoiboi 05-17-2018 02:44 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=buyi...firefox-b-1-ab

mrgold35 05-17-2018 03:01 PM

I think purchase and servicing wouldn't be an issue. It would come down to Acura supporting the 4/50 basic, 6/70 powertrain, Acura Care extended warranties, or any TSB fix with the all new RDX across borders.

dcmod 05-17-2018 04:34 PM

And then after all those troubles ,, you get to pay double tax . Once in Canada and the other in the USA !

heisnuts 05-17-2018 06:53 PM

That would be a grey market vehicle, meaning there would be no warranty from Acura in the USA for that vehicle. If you did that, you would want to purchase a third party extended warranty since there would be no coverage should something break, even if it was only 2 days old and had 200 miles on it. You could also just risk it and not purchase any warranty for it.

TacoBello 05-17-2018 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by heisnuts (Post 16235249)
That would be a grey market vehicle, meaning there would be no warranty from Acura in the USA for that vehicle. If you did that, you would want to purchase a third party extended warranty since there would be no coverage should something break, even if it was only 2 days old and had 200 miles on it. You could also just risk it and not purchase any warranty for it.

This is what I've heard, also.

TacoBello 05-17-2018 07:22 PM

I remember back when I had my '03 Accord, there were warranty repairs on the radio display going out, in the US, where as in Canada it was merely a TSB for the same problem, and was at the dealership's discretion whether to fix it as a warranty item or not. From what I've heard, many did not. It seems warranty in one country is not the same as in a different country. Meaning how do you honor a Canadian car now owned in the US? They would probably say- you can't.

mapleloaf 05-17-2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by dcmod (Post 16235184)
And then after all those troubles ,, you get to pay double tax . Once in Canada and the other in the USA !

You would not pay Provincial sales tax in Canada, but you would pay our Federal GST, plus ant applicable State tax. You would pay duty on the bulk of the price, minus the personal duty exemptions of the people in the car. Of course if the President catches you stimulating the Canadian economy, there would also be hell to pay:)

Tony Pac 05-18-2018 10:22 AM

There was a time, when CDNs used to go to the US and buy cars and bring to Canada :)
Don't forget in Canada cars are a lot more expensive. But with the currency exchange, you might be better off to buy a car in Canada and ship it to the US. Do your math. The only issue is warranty and I don't know about it.

Madd Dog 05-18-2018 12:07 PM

The downside is that you have to drive in a polite manner.

oblio98 05-18-2018 07:12 PM

Thanks everyone. It's not something that I would actually do, but was just wondering.

Mcesar84 01-13-2023 08:40 PM

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread here, but I'm looking at a third party dealership that is selling a legally imported (and Michigan titled) 2019 model. The gauges default in large font MPH, so I wonder if it's been "legally converted" or if they were just sold that way up there for cost purposes. Main question is would the warranty still be applicable in the U.S.? The 4 years is just about up either way but was just curious about the 7/70 powertrain. TIA