Build date to dealer deliver time estimates?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:04 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
I have my VIN now (shown on the Costco Auto Program Member-Only Price Sheet the dealer sent to me).

Actually, what does having a VIN mean, exactly? For example, does it mean it's on the rails (build has started or is about to?)? I'm not thinking that that's what it means because the dealership said my car-to-be's build date will be in September (it hasn't been born yet).

I guess it could mean I have a "soft" VIN on paper, which will be stamped on steel on the actual car that will be built next month...

Speculation on my part...anybody know what's the real deal of what's going on?
Old 08-21-2018, 05:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Got the call yesterday, ordered Silver/Espresso Advance SH-AWD on 6/23 at dealer on 8/20. Will pick it up Friday.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
Been working with some dealerships with quotes on the car and accessories earlier than planned...

For a couple of reasons, dealerships are not seeing many Fathom Blue Pearl Advance SH-AWD (at least not in the immediate MD-DC-VA-PA area, I was told). For one, not many are coming in that color, being less requested than the more popular exteriors like White, Silver, Steel, Black, and Gunmetal. For another, the pool is smaller to begin with for what I'm looking for (Advance SH-AWD) because the hottest trims by far are the A-Spec and Tech packages -- thus the factory is churning a lot more of those.

I heard one dealer contact say, "you might not see one until February!" I think he was saying that tongue in cheek, but the picture is becoming clearer that we're not going to be able to just walk in to the dealership ANYTIME SOON and expect the exact thing you're looking is waiting just for you. Or, that it will only take several weeks (instead of months).

One of the harder aspects of this is that I have about 3 dealer contacts who have been extremely responsive, excellent to interact with, and would be a pleasure to give my business to -- but I'm only buying one, not three. LOL
I can identify! I also want Advance, awd, fathom blue pearl. I would buy one today but there are none available. And what makes it worse is that I would have ordered one a long time ago but it was only a week ago that my dealer had one for me to test drive, and it wasn’t even an advance. And I was told that the $1000 loyalty discount that I qualify for requires delivery by Sep 4 - bummer! Wonder if program will be extended.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Well for those who know my situation, my car was damaged in transport a few weeks ago and Acura is doing nothing to help source me another RDX (WDP with red interior ASPEC SHAWD). Any trim in AWD is pretty difficult to find in socal, let alone an Advance or ASPEC. I went through a local car broker and he sourced me a car in norcal. Well I am happy to say I took delivery last night!

The following 2 users liked this post by starlord:
Curious3GTL (08-22-2018), GW208 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by starlord
Well for those who know my situation, my car was damaged in transport a few weeks ago and Acura is doing nothing to help source me another RDX (WDP with red interior ASPEC SHAWD). Any trim in AWD is pretty difficult to find in socal, let alone an Advance or ASPEC. I went through a local car broker and he sourced me a car in norcal. Well I am happy to say I took delivery last night!

Congratulations--terrific news! For those who know my story...more bad news. The car that was supposed to be on its way a week ago from Ohio to another WA dealer to be used as a swap for a car at my dealer, has not left Ohio as of yesterday. So the car they said I'd have by now, will not be here until who knows when. de ja vous.
The following users liked this post:
starlord (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Congrats!!!! Beautiful!
starlord (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by romer
Congratulations--terrific news! For those who know my story...more bad news. The car that was supposed to be on its way a week ago from Ohio to another WA dealer to be used as a swap for a car at my dealer, has not left Ohio as of yesterday. So the car they said I'd have by now, will not be here until who knows when. de ja vous.
Not good news. I hope something starts moving soon.

Billy
Old 08-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Racer

Looks good, congratulations.

Billy
starlord (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 03:48 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Congrats Starlord on the new RDX!
starlord (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 04:39 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW! Star lord, very cool.
starlord (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Demand still seems very strong.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
WOW! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your new ride. You are among one of the few with that combo =)
Old 08-23-2018, 05:36 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Back to the original subject of this thread.

My RDX showed up on the Acura site as 'in transit' on the morning of Friday, 8/3. Dealer just called about an hour ago saying it was on the lot and beginning the prep process - so 4 days 'in transit' to the dealer over a weekend. (Dealer is about 200 miles from the plant.) I'll be picking it up Thursday at 1:00pm assuming my insurance agent gets the necessary paperwork to the dealer.
Ours just showed up as ‘in transit’ on the Acura site this morning. We’re located about 200 miles (south) of the plant. Will report back when it has arrived. It’s a Fathom Blue SH-AWD Advance that I’ve seen a couple people on this thread seeking. We were lucky in that after putting our order in on 7/20 were told 8-10 weeks, but last week got a call that someone had ordered the identical car a few weeks prior to us, and backed out buying a red one from the lot. That moved us up and earmarked for their order. So, you guys looking for the blue AWD Advance, there’s an extra one on its way to KY in mid-Sept.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:56 PM
6th Gear

Unhappy Waiting

Well, talked to the dealer this afternoon about when they might expect our MSM/Black SH-AWD Advance which we ordered on 6/27 to show up. It’ll be 8 weeks on 8/24 and he said it looks like mid Sept. We planned a 3 week out country vacation starting this weekend and won’t be back until mid Sept., I guess will be surprised with the RDX on our return. Just to keep the dealer busy until we return we also ordered the front lower bumper trim, trailer hitch, welcome lights, chrome tailgate spoiler trim, cargo protector and tray. So much for my best laid plans of 6-8 weeks for delivery.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RadX
Well, talked to the dealer this afternoon about when they might expect our MSM/Black SH-AWD Advance which we ordered on 6/27 to show up. It’ll be 8 weeks on 8/24 and he said it looks like mid Sept. We planned a 3 week out country vacation starting this weekend and won’t be back until mid Sept., I guess will be surprised with the RDX on our return. Just to keep the dealer busy until we return we also ordered the front lower bumper trim, trailer hitch, welcome lights, chrome tailgate spoiler trim, cargo protector and tray. So much for my best laid plans of 6-8 weeks for delivery.
My saga is similar. It started 6/15 when the deal was made with the dealer 'expecting' to have my car, already in the build queue for 7/15, ETA by end of July. Still no sight of it. Nor a VIN. Then, over a week ago, the promise of a swap for the car my dealer has and my car, headed to another dealer. VIN exists and the other dealer's website showed "my" car 'In Transit.' Only to learn a couple days ago, the car is still in Ohio. Now--Acura will send the car directly to my dealer, thus by-passing the swap complications and our dealer only needs to send the car they have to the other dealer. BUT--no known date for shipping of my car. Latest ETA is a couple weeks. That puts us in September. So we'll see. One thing I've observed, maybe only because of my focus, is that many of the 'delayed' cars are Advance w/SHAWD. I was thinking my color, Gunmetal, was the culprit but my dealer has received several of them recently, though not in Advance trim.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 PM
6th Gear

I think you’re right on about SH-AWD Advance models being slow out of the gate, hope you gets yours shortly, that would give some comfort knowing that I might be right behind you for a delivery date. The beat goes on!
romer (08-23-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ShouldIBuyNew
I can identify! I also want Advance, awd, fathom blue pearl. I would buy one today but there are none available. And what makes it worse is that I would have ordered one a long time ago but it was only a week ago that my dealer had one for me to test drive, and it wasn’t even an advance. And I was told that the $1000 loyalty discount that I qualify for requires delivery by Sep 4 - bummer! Wonder if program will be extended.
After many years of owning German cars, I recently went via Costco to a dealer in MD to start the process to order a new RDX Advance in Performance Red. I was amazed that the dealer looked at some sort of sheet and said that they had "one coming in, but already sold to someone else, and that it would be awhile before they got another one"!! Huh? After some discussion in which I said why don't you just order one for me, I got what amounted to a "we don't do that, we wait on one to arrive". What kind of crazy system is that? Most dealers of other makes (at least the non-Japanese ones), will order a car specifically for you, in whichever color you choose and with whatever additional equipment you want. I understand that Acura essentially packages everything within the various models of the RDX, and then adds "dealer installed accessories", but why can't they just tell the factory that they have a customer who wants such and such model and have that built and sent? Supposedly, I have dibs on the next Performance Red Advance that arrives at this dealer, perhaps late September, but what would happen if ten people wanted the same thing? How long would they wait? Not impressed with this process.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShouldIBuyNew
ShouldIBuyNew--are you still looking and near Portland, OR? If so, a dealer there has one on the lot.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pearl77
After many years of owning German cars, I recently went via Costco to a dealer in MD to start the process to order a new RDX Advance in Performance Red. I was amazed that the dealer looked at some sort of sheet and said that they had "one coming in, but already sold to someone else, and that it would be awhile before they got another one"!! Huh? After some discussion in which I said why don't you just order one for me, I got what amounted to a "we don't do that, we wait on one to arrive". What kind of crazy system is that? Most dealers of other makes (at least the non-Japanese ones), will order a car specifically for you, in whichever color you choose and with whatever additional equipment you want. I understand that Acura essentially packages everything within the various models of the RDX, and then adds "dealer installed accessories", but why can't they just tell the factory that they have a customer who wants such and such model and have that built and sent? Supposedly, I have dibs on the next Performance Red Advance that arrives at this dealer, perhaps late September, but what would happen if ten people wanted the same thing? How long would they wait? Not impressed with this process.
I have a friend who ordered one. It's supposed to arrive in September. So there is a way to do it apparently. Either that or the dealers use one of the cars in their allotment to request a specific car because they have a buyer with money down?
Old 08-24-2018, 02:01 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
ShouldIBuyNew--are you still looking and near Portland, OR? If so, a dealer there has one on the lot.
Thanks for letting me know but unfortunately I’m over 2,000 miles away!
Old 08-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Master47

Ours just showed up as ‘in transit’ on the Acura site this morning. We’re located about 200 miles (south) of the plant. Will report back when it has arrived. It’s a Fathom Blue SH-AWD Advance that I’ve seen a couple people on this thread seeking. We were lucky in that after putting our order in on 7/20 were told 8-10 weeks, but last week got a call that someone had ordered the identical car a few weeks prior to us, and backed out buying a red one from the lot. That moved us up and earmarked for their order. So, you guys looking for the blue AWD Advance, there’s an extra one on its way to KY in mid-Sept.
What is this Acura website where you were able to check on your car and you saw its status was “in transit?”

I made a deposit on 8/17/18 on a Fathom Blue Pearl Advance SH-AWD and was told it will be 1 of 2 allocations with September build dates and then ~2 weeks for delivery.

Thanks.

It it will be nice to track once o get my build date.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:39 PM
Instructor

I'm not sure "In Transit" means what most of us assume. My car, the one being swapped, was supposedly en route and showed on the other swapping dealer's site as "In Transit." You had to access it via the Acura site to see this--not via directly to the dealer's site. But--I learned Wed. that my car, shown as "In Transit," had not left Ohio yet, even though it showed as "In Transit" for a week and a half. at least.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a friend who ordered one. It's supposed to arrive in September. So there is a way to do it apparently. Either that or the dealers use one of the cars in their allotment to request a specific car because they have a buyer with money down?
The impression I got was that each dealer has an allocation of various models/colors/etc. If you want a specific one (color, etc), they will take your deposit and then you get the next one that comes in like you "ordered", but they did not "really order it for you", just reserved the next one they get like you wanted. They do get info on when various models are built, what their VIN numbers are, etc., so if they get that info on a model that you want, they can give you the VIN, likely delivery dates, etc. Sometimes they can see that another dealer is going to get one like the one you want and they can do a swap with them, but actually contacting the factory and specifying that we have customer X who wants an Advance model in Fathom Blue, is not something they do. This is pretty much what happened when I "ordered" my Performance Red Advance, and when they saw how incredulous I was at the process, said that "this is how it is done".
birdonamission (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission

What is this Acura website where you were able to check on your car and you saw its status was “in transit?”

I made a deposit on 8/17/18 on a Fathom Blue Pearl Advance SH-AWD and was told it will be 1 of 2 allocations with September build dates and then ~2 weeks for delivery.

Thanks.

It it will be nice to track once o get my build date.
Go to Acura.com, search inventory and find the dealership where you placed your deposit. It will show cars that are on the lot and in transit. I don't believe it is real time, I think it gets updated every 24 hours. I was watching it like a madman when I ordered my car.
birdonamission (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 05:53 PM
Pro

Go to Acura.com, search inventory and find the dealership where you placed your deposit. It will show cars that are on the lot and in transit. I don't believe it is real time, I think it gets updated every 24 hours. I was watching it like a madman when I ordered my car.
I appreciate it!
Old 08-24-2018, 05:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Pearl77
The impression I got was that each dealer has an allocation of various models/colors/etc. If you want a specific one (color, etc), they will take your deposit and then you get the next one that comes in like you "ordered", but they did not "really order it for you", just reserved the next one they get like you wanted. They do get info on when various models are built, what their VIN numbers are, etc., so if they get that info on a model that you want, they can give you the VIN, likely delivery dates, etc. Sometimes they can see that another dealer is going to get one like the one you want and they can do a swap with them, but actually contacting the factory and specifying that we have customer X who wants an Advance model in Fathom Blue, is not something they do. This is pretty much what happened when I "ordered" my Performance Red Advance, and when they saw how incredulous I was at the process, said that "this is how it is done".
This sounds about right, based on how things are unfolding for mine.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Pro

I'm not sure "In Transit" means what most of us assume. My car, the one being swapped, was supposedly en route and showed on the other swapping dealer's site as "In Transit." You had to access it via the Acura site to see this--not via directly to the dealer's site. But--I learned Wed. that my car, shown as "In Transit," had not left Ohio yet, even though it showed as "In Transit" for a week and a half. at least.
I followed what the other fella said about how to check inventory on Acura.com and I actually see the two Fathom Blue Pearl Advance SH-AWDs the dealership contact told me they were getting.

What's curious to me is it says the 2 are "in transit" even though my understanding from the store is they're both are scheduled for September build dates. So, following what you said, "in transit" is not necessarily what we assume it means. "In transit" apparently can mean "allocated" and does not always mean "it's on the way."

UNLESS these two the website is showing are "in transit" are totally different cars that are actually August allocations (and are both already spoken for).
Old 08-24-2018, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Just picked up wife's Silver Espresso Advance SH-AWD. Ordered 6/23 and hit dealer on 8/21.

only drove it 20 miles, but a few quick observations compare to her 16 RDX Advance AWD.

- car ride is a bit more refined.
- the new ELS is definitely cleaner and clearer than the old RDX and even my 19 TLX
under light acceleration engine noise is very quiet, but under heavy acceleration it is noisier than olde RDX and screams 4 banger, but acceleration is very smooth
- the new head unit will take some getting used too
-the HUD is clean, crisp and large
x while the car ride is mother the exterior noise seems worse than her old RDX
Old 08-25-2018, 07:26 PM
6th Gear

8 weeks since we put a deposit down on a RDX. We’re leaving on a 3 week vacation on Monday returning on 9/16, so between now and then maybe it will be built or the dealers can play Swap O Rama and locate the model we want. Gave the dealer contact info while out and about maybe we’ll get good news during our travels. Ciao for now!
Old 08-25-2018, 07:58 PM
Racer

Hope you have a great trip and get some good news about your car also!

Billy
RadX (08-25-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So I think according to the Acura website my RDX is in transit Can anyone tell me the width of the backseat? I'd like to go ahead and order a hammock for my pup, but I want to make sure I order one that is long enough.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Pirate Princess
So I think according to the Acura website my RDX is in transit Can anyone tell me the width of the backseat? I'd like to go ahead and order a hammock for my pup, but I want to make sure I order one that is long enough.
Mine says "in transit," too, but confirmed from my dealership that that doesn't mean it's "on the way." Just slightly misleading, huh?

It basically just means it's an allocation, in my case, for this month (ordered [made a deposit] in mid-August). Now just waiting to hear what my September build date is or will be.

By the way, I spent a few minutes searching for the rear seat bench's width (including in the owner's manual and installation instructions PDFs), but couldn't find the information. I even looked at the rear seat cover accessory's details at websites where it's sold, but nothing I saw talked about dimensions.

Hopefully someone here who already owns the car will run a tape and post the width for you.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
birdonamission - where on the Acura site are you able to see the status of your car? I'm dying to find out the status of mine (I've been promised mid-Sept for delivery).
Old 09-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Huskr84
birdonamission - where on the Acura site are you able to see the status of your car? I'm dying to find out the status of mine (I've been promised mid-Sept for delivery).
Follow these steps on Acura.com. Note that this information will show what's coming to or is already at your dealership -- after you see the status that comes back by following these steps, your guy or gal at the dealership can confirm that the car referenced in the result is actually yours (or, if it says more than 1 car is on the lot or "in transit," that one of the x number of cars is yours).

1. Click on Shopping Tools on the top menu, then click on Search Inventory.

2. Locate your dealer, then click on View Inventory below your dealer's contact information that shows up below (the dealer is also mapped on the right).

3. Click on See Inventory below the picture of the RDX.

4. Click through the different attributes of your car (colors, powertrain, packages & features). You will see on the right a status under the picture of the car; in this example, it says "1 in transit."

Old 09-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirate Princess

Back seat bottom is 53" at widest point. Back seat backrest is 48 1/2" wide.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
My scheduled build dates for my shawd elite platinum is sept 10 with an estimated arrival of sept 28-oct 5. It is interesting that people are having a hard time getting the shawd versions, because you can’t get the fwd version in Canada.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:05 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
From build date to arrive date, mine took a total of 2 weeks even being located 200 miles south of the manufacturing plant. About a week after build date it showed up on the Acura site as “in transit” and remained there until my dealership took it into inventory a week later. We took delivery this past Saturday.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Pro

From build date to arrive date, mine took a total of 2 weeks even being located 200 miles south of the manufacturing plant. About a week after build date it showed up on the Acura site as “in transit” and remained there until my dealership took it into inventory a week later. We took delivery this past Saturday.
A total of 2 weeks from build to delivery? Doesn't seem possible, but OK. My dealership told me it's more like 3 weeks.

Basically, one week on the assembly line with robots and humans welding and bolting and wiring and otherwise putting together thousands of parts and then running all the pre-delivery inspections, followed by another week to deliver, give or take a day or two, considering weather, overland traffic, etc., sounds like a monumental, herculean feat. Impressive...

The Acura plant is something like 500 miles to the D.C.-Baltimore area, so the dealership is factoring that in, too, I"m sure.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:04 AM
Instructor

Finally

late last night I received an email that my car arrives to dealer today. No word yet on when I pick it up. It’s been quite a slog as some of you know from previous posts. This all started June 15 with a car tagged for me once built, which showed mid-July build date, expected delivery end of July. That car never materialized. You know the rest. But the Advance AWD Gunmetal Metallic is here. All’s well that ends well.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
I was lucky enough to be able to pick up a Platinum Elite that was already on the lot. Signed the papers on September 1 and drove it away on September 6.

Quick Reply: Build date to dealer deliver time estimates?