Build date to dealer deliver time estimates?

Old 08-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Dealer keeps hounding Acura about my car (built by 7/19 supposedly but still no VIN). He is very apologetic (Sales manager) and I believe genuine. But now he thinks I should have it within the next few weeks. I started another thread about the Gunmetal Metallic Advance AWD since I thought maybe that's part of the issue. It does seem there are very few. I've checked dealer inventory, including "In Transit" in five states and not one has or is receiving this specific car. I'll keep you guys posted--hope this doesn't get boring.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by romer
...I've checked dealer inventory, including "In Transit" in five states and not one has or is receiving this specific car...
Are you checking inventory via 'acura.com' or going to individual dealer websites? Not all dealers keep their sites updated on a regular basis. I know that mine that's 'in transit' doesn't show on my dealer's site, only acura.com.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Are you checking inventory via 'acura.com' or going to individual dealer websites? Not all dealers keep their sites updated on a regular basis. I know that mine that's 'in transit' doesn't show on my dealer's site, only acura.com.
Yes--I go through the Acura site. It shows vehicles in transit that if you just go directly to the dealer site it might not show in-transit status.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Dealer keeps hounding Acura about my car (built by 7/19 supposedly but still no VIN). He is very apologetic (Sales manager) and I believe genuine. But now he thinks I should have it within the next few weeks. I started another thread about the Gunmetal Metallic Advance AWD since I thought maybe that's part of the issue. It does seem there are very few. I've checked dealer inventory, including "In Transit" in five states and not one has or is receiving this specific car. I'll keep you guys posted--hope this doesn't get boring.
Has your sales manager or GM checked with the zone manager? My car was supposed to be here last week and I learned that my car was damaged in transport, hence fell off the grid. I hate the fact that, I, the customer am doing all the leg work and trying to find my car. Not sure what the dealership is going to do now, they said they would follow up with me on Monday. I too, have been tracking the Acura.com transit and it is not exactly accurate.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by starlord
...and I learned that my car was damaged in transport, hence fell off the grid....
Sucks that happened - but at least it's better to know that then know nothing and just keep wondering. Here's hoping the dealer can find another quickly, or at least be able to get the next one coming off the line diverted to him.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
So we were told our AWD Silver on Espresso Advance was built 7/31 so let’s see when they get it.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealership finally told me that the Modern Steel A-Spec that was "ordered" for me has a build date of 8/12. Then another 30 days for transport. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:59 PM
Instructor

I’m not desperate for the car as much as I’d like to know what’s up. I originally was led to believe I’d have the car the end of July. Obviously that’s passed. Now—who knows. It’s the herky jerky of it all that’s weird. I’m fine with a window but at this point if I had just ordered one, rather than expecting one in the que, I’d be close to the current end date as well. I think Acura must be awash in orders.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Are you guys negotiating now that it's taken a month or more to get the car?
Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skarface
Since my dealer is down to 3 RDXs on the lot it's not likely he's going to move on price. He just sold the black on black Advance he was using for test drives.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Every time I was in a dealer, literally the only car I heard a customer ask to see was the RDX. It could be they are shopping another car, but I only heard them asking about the RDX.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by skarface
I have yet to begin negotiating which is a good thing. You can bet I’ll be using this as leverage for negotiating. Luckily I made them match the carmax pricing on my Audi I plan on trading in.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DevineRDX
My dealership finally told me that the Modern Steel A-Spec that was "ordered" for me has a build date of 8/12. Then another 30 days for transport. Fingers crossed.
If that's how it's working--I could expect mine in about two weeks.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Been working with some dealerships with quotes on the car and accessories earlier than planned...

For a couple of reasons, dealerships are not seeing many Fathom Blue Pearl Advance SH-AWD (at least not in the immediate MD-DC-VA-PA area, I was told). For one, not many are coming in that color, being less requested than the more popular exteriors like White, Silver, Steel, Black, and Gunmetal. For another, the pool is smaller to begin with for what I'm looking for (Advance SH-AWD) because the hottest trims by far are the A-Spec and Tech packages -- thus the factory is churning a lot more of those.

I heard one dealer contact say, "you might not see one until February!" I think he was saying that tongue in cheek, but the picture is becoming clearer that we're not going to be able to just walk in to the dealership ANYTIME SOON and expect the exact thing you're looking is waiting just for you. Or, that it will only take several weeks (instead of months).

One of the harder aspects of this is that I have about 3 dealer contacts who have been extremely responsive, excellent to interact with, and would be a pleasure to give my business to -- but I'm only buying one, not three. LOL
Old 08-06-2018, 07:19 PM
Drifting

Ya want a blue one, stand by that.

Don’t get this fine car and look at it in your driveway and wish another one was there.

Patience.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Ya want a blue one, stand by that. Don’t get this fine car and look at it in your driveway and wish another one was there. Patience.
Do not compromise, get exactly what you want.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Pro

Don’t get this fine car and look at it in your driveway and wish another one was there.

Patience.
Definitely agree!
Old 08-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MarineOne
Yes -- what I plan to do.

Semper Fi!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Patience.
Yup. They’ve offered other cars but I’ve stood pat. My wife’s counsel when I get a car is always ‘get exactly what you want.’
Old 08-07-2018, 07:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarineOne
I guess I'm lucky in that regard - there are 3 colors I was equally happy with, for different reasons, so it became a matter of which one became available first.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Back to the original subject of this thread.

My RDX showed up on the Acura site as 'in transit' on the morning of Friday, 8/3. Dealer just called about an hour ago saying it was on the lot and beginning the prep process - so 4 days 'in transit' to the dealer over a weekend. (Dealer is about 200 miles from the plant.) I'll be picking it up Thursday at 1:00pm assuming my insurance agent gets the necessary paperwork to the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Master47 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 PM
Instructor

My RDX showed up on the Acura site as 'in transit' on the morning of Friday, 8/3. Dealer just called about an hour ago saying it was on the lot and beginning the prep process - so 4 days 'in transit' to the dealer over a weekend. (Dealer is about 200 miles from the plant.) I'll be picking it up Thursday at 1:00pm assuming my insurance agent gets the necessary paperwork to the dealer.
Congrats on your new ride! Looks like mine (built in July but no VIN and no trace of the car) will likely be part of a late August release, arriving closer to the middle of September, as the current version goes. This is pretty crazy I'd say. If anything changes--I'll post again.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Congrats! Post pictures of the new whip when you get a chance!
Old 08-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Drifting

Thursday?

When my salesman realized I could buy now, or later, his final bid email said ‘this deal holds only if you can pick it up this week’. It was Wednesday,. I said sure, is Saturday ‘this week’? (I had already had a nice, in-person converstion with the GSM. “We are too far apart now” said me. We are going travelling in a couple of weeks, then my wife has knee surgery, so I will see you in October-November.” We were three thousand apart.) The salesman said yeah, Saturday is this week, but we don’t usually do deliveries on Saturday. Could you come early? I said I could also do Friday afternoon, since I have a tennis match on Friday morning. He said he doesn’t work on Friday. I said ‘cool’, I can do it Saturday when you open so you can have most of the day for sales. He said, yeah, that can work.

Later that day, Wednesday at around 3:30, the finance guy calls (I could have financed the whole thing, but, I only wanted a $30K note, because that is what I wanted in my budget.). he says, can you get here before five? We have the car prepped. I said yeah, but I don’t have a final number, and you guys want a certified check. He asked what bank I used, I told him, and he said that bank is open until six, and he gave me the number. I told him I had checked out the banks hours, and on Wednesday, they close at four, and there just isn’t time. I could get it to you tomorrow morning (It was August 1).

He said, screw it, I checked you out, we will take a personal check (it was a bit over ten grand). (This was my ninth car I bought from a Curry dealership) I said, OK, we are headed down.

We showed up, did the paperwork. And drove off.

Maybe they were able to book the sale for July in their stats.

This stuff can be done so fast these days. It used to take several days to get all the paperwork straight.

In between the salesman contact and the finance guy contact, my insurance guy called to verify I was buying a car, and that got settled in a minute.
billyt1963 (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 07:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Thursday?...
Yeah, probably could have done it tomorrow but MI law requires proof of insurance on the new vehicle and my agent was already gone for the day. I emailed all the pertinent info so hopefully the insurance stuff will get to the dealer tomorrow. Need to get to the bank for the certified check and clean out my trade (amazing how much stuff accumulates in a car) so I can do that at my leisure.

By picking it up Thursday I'll have the luxury of a few hours alone to play with it as my wife and her sister are going out for the day so no interruptions.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Congratulations. I know you are looking forward to picking it up.

Billy
Old 08-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Yeah, probably could have done it tomorrow but MI law requires proof of insurance on the new vehicle and my agent was already gone for the day. I emailed all the pertinent info so hopefully the insurance stuff will get to the dealer tomorrow. Need to get to the bank for the certified check and clean out my trade (amazing how much stuff accumulates in a car) so I can do that at my leisure.

By picking it up Thursday I'll have the luxury of a few hours alone to play with it as my wife and her sister are going out for the day so no interruptions.
Well I hope it works out for you on the purchase.I was about to ask why the insurance would hold up your deal but now I understand about the MI law. In Texas you have 30 days to put the new car on your insurance as long as you have current insurance on your vehicle. They only need to see proof and then you are good with insurance. I usually dont move my insurance over on any vehicle until my deal is done as I have been known to leave the deal on the table for obvious reasons.
Looking forward to seeing your post after the purchase also.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Playing with it without the womenfolk hanging around and distracting important stuff is surely worth arranging.

You will post some pics, I hope.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
...In Texas you have 30 days to put the new car on your insurance as long as you have current insurance on your vehicle...
I'm fairly certain that MI is the same, I know my policy will cover any new/replacement vehicle for 30 days. It's the dealers I suspect that won't let the new vehicle out the door without proof on the new one. Probably a CYA thing.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Congrats MI. I hope you enjoy your new ride.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Put deposit down on 6/23 for Advance AWD Silver with Espresso and got call today, it was built 7/31 and due at dealer between 8/21 - 8/25. So about 2 months from order to delivery. Has has the VIN as well.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KeithL
Put deposit down on 6/23 for Advance AWD Silver with Espresso and got call today, it was built 7/31 and due at dealer between 8/21 - 8/25. So about 2 months from order to delivery. Has has the VIN as well.
That is the set-up I expected, but the canyon bronze with the parchment interior just hit us. Since this car replaced my 535, which had a beige interior, it all just fit. We like a lighter interior, and Espresso was as dark as we were willing to go.

But I love that combo too.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:45 AM
Instructor

So my dealer was asked to swap a car they have, and the other dealer has the car I want in transit. VIN is known. Once it arrives at that dealer, it will be trucked to my dealer in Portland, OR. About ten days is the ETA. Still no sighting of the original car supposedly built July 15-19. That likely would not have appeared at my dealer until early September--but that's all a theory. Bottom line, I'm near the end of my story and my wait. Good feeling.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
So my dealer was asked to swap a car they have, and the other dealer has the car I want in transit. VIN is known. Once it arrives at that dealer, it will be trucked to my dealer in Portland, OR. About ten days is the ETA. Still no sighting of the original car supposedly built July 15-19. That likely would not have appeared at my dealer until early September--but that's all a theory. Bottom line, I'm near the end of my story and my wait. Good feeling.
Hooray! Glad you finally have something a little more solid and inbound.

:gheywave:

Billy
romer (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Wow that was pretty crappy not to be able to get the information needed on the original RDX status. However, all is working as you want so good luck.
I went to my dealer yesterday to pick up license plates and they had all colors and many trims sitting in stock except for white advance one.They had 32 2019 RDX's in stock when I counted.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:48 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put a deposit down on one a few days ago, and was told the build date is 8/12, and should arrive at the dealer in the next 10-14 days. We shall see.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:15 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Waiting!

We ordered a MSM Advance on 6/27, have not heard anything about a VIN or build date. Six weeks have past, and I’m hoping it shows up in the next couple of weeks. We leave for a 3 week trip end of August. Really don’t want wait until mid-Sept. for the new ride.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So I have my first-ever Acura on order. It is a Red/Parchment AWD Advance. I requested it July 13th. I was advised this past Tuesday that the production date would be between 8/20-24 and should be at the dealership 2 weeks thereafter. The anticipation is killing me.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Pirate Princess
So I have my first-ever Acura on order. It is a Red/Parchment AWD Advance. I requested it July 13th. I was advised this past Tuesday that the production date would be between 8/20-24 and should be at the dealership 2 weeks thereafter. The anticipation is killing me.
Nice! Congratulations...

Pirate Princess (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RadX
We ordered a MSM Advance on 6/27, have not heard anything about a VIN or build date. Six weeks have past, and I’m hoping it shows up in the next couple of weeks. We leave for a 3 week trip end of August. Really don’t want wait until mid-Sept. for the new ride.
When I first started looking that was one of my color choices. My dealer said he already had one on order with a tentative build date of late August/early September with no expectation of anything earlier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build date to dealer deliver time estimates?