Brief Reactions from a New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by gtssenior
I would still like to the ability to go through the manual on a tablet, or on a computer, or hardcopy and not have to sit in the car reading. But I think the infotainment idea is a good one too as an additional place to house documentation.
I agree. Mercedes gives you both a hard copy and an interactive copy on the COMMAND system. You can also download a full pdf version to your tablet or computer. It's how it should be in 2018.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
So, please expain....how does one obtain the FULL PRINTED manual for their $45,000 expenditure?
Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
^They could have put a digital copy on the infotainment unit as others have done. It's always in the car and could even be customizable and updatable.
and searchable!

I never read those manuals except when I'm looking for something specific.

Last time I had a flat tire I couldn't find the damn air compressor neither the damn manual which would have told me where the damn compressor was hidden. The manual was in the house because I had good intentions to read it but I never did. LOL
Old 06-27-2018, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
So, please expain....how does one obtain the FULL PRINTED manual for their $45,000 expenditure?
My understanding is they make one hard copy available per VIN number. Not sure if that has to be sent to Acura or not. I already have the online version on my computer.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would still like to the ability to go through the manual on a tablet, or on a computer, or hardcopy and not have to sit in the car reading. But I think the infotainment idea is a good one too as an additional place to house documentation.
I downloaded a copy from Acura Link of the manuals to my iPhone and iPad. It’s available to me anytime now
Old 06-27-2018, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Nothing beats a paper hard copy....
Old 06-27-2018, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
I actually prefer digital copies for the ol' Ctrl + F function (Find) so that I can easily get to the right page.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Nothing beats a paper hard copy....
1983 called....
The following users liked this post:
37tzee (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by mcrompton
I actually prefer digital copies for the ol' Ctrl + F function (Find) so that I can easily get to the right page.
That's an advantage for sure, but every time I jot a note down in the margin it makes no sense on the following pages.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
For a car in this price range, the sales person should be able to provide documentation in whatever format the customer wants either hardcopy, softcopy or both..
Old 06-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
For a car in this price range, the sales person should be able to provide documentation in whatever format the customer wants either hardcopy, softcopy or both..
forget about the price of the car, it’s about the quality of sales and professionalism. I’m in sales and we don’t print manuals for our products anymore, but I email all of my customers pdf copies even before they take delivery of their order. I also offer product training on site free of charge. Whether it’s a $5k or 250k order they get that same level of detail and professionalism.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by romer
My understanding is they make one hard copy available per VIN number. Not sure if that has to be sent to Acura or not. I already have the online version on my computer.
With M2018, I signed up at owners.acura.com and there I was given the option to receive a free printed version of the manuals.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
A FULL printed manual SHOULD BE included with each car..."no ifs, ands, or buts" about it. No reason it must be kept in the glove box, afterall there is plenty of storage in the rear.
BUT this sort of begs the point.....WHY DOES IT TAKE 600 plus pages to explain this car to the owner?? I bet a good editor (not product designers) could write a comprhensive manual that's half of that. A 600 page manual is insane....BUT should still be included with each car!
i doubt they could cut it in half as it has to make it past the corporate lawyers. Also I see hard copy manuals going away. When I buy a car I download the manual and read it on my iPad on my sofa.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:17 PM
Advanced

It’s poor marketing to suggest a new owner should print 600 plus pages IF they want a hard copy or that one could “request ONE copy to be mailed”. The cost or the time it would take or how you’d even bind together the 600 pages isn’t my point..... it’s just stupid to not have a printed manual(s) in the car when delivered. I pay my money, I take delivery and I expect to have everything I need to learn about all of the systems in the car.
Come on Acura......are you saving a few bucks by not printing a manual? Do you think a 600 page manual would scare away potential customers?
I know it’s fashionable to just tell customers to “go to the Internet” but many like to read off paper , turn the pages, mark important passages, highlight stuff etc. Yes, I know all of the electronic ways of reading are great but, once again, there’s nothing wrong with still including a printed manual. ....... by the way the 2019 printed manual isn’t even available yet....... stupid!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL

i doubt they could cut it in half as it has to make it past the corporate lawyers. Also I see hard copy manuals going away. When I buy a car I download the manual and read it on my iPad on my sofa.

Wave of the future.

HOWEVER, when you read the FM, make note of those few pages you might need in case of a roadside breakdown (car wash procedure, for example), print those pages out, and stick em where the jack and tools are.

You don’t want to find yourself with a flat tire on the side of the road and your iPad at home.

(where is the manual release for the fuel filler door?)

As the saying goes, you never need the manual until you really need the manual.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 06-27-2018 at 06:34 PM.
acuraada (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
That's some pro tips there.

600 pages manual is a joke... In comparison, Tesla model X has only about 200 pages.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 PM
Advanced

I just watched the new HBO version of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradberry..... about a society that no longer allows books and its eventual demise. Nothing wrong with a manual on a CD or in PDF form kept on your smart phone or tablet BUT there’s also nothing wrong with the same printed on paper with ink. Come to think of it the paper printed version doesn’t depend on how much battery power you have, never becomes unreadable in bright sunlight and there’s no need to zoom-in or maneuver with your fingers to see details.....what a wonderful invention it’s just too bad it isn’t “modern tech”........LOL

Old 06-27-2018, 08:52 PM
mch
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
FYI From date of purchase at the myowners acura website you have 6 months to request your hard copy of the owners / navigation / warranty manual or else you have to pay $$$ for it.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acuraada
...Tesla model X has only about 200 pages.
Yeah, but it drives itself so you don't need all the driver control information.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
I just watched the new HBO version of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradberry..... about a society that no longer allows books and its eventual demise. Nothing wrong with a manual on a CD or in PDF form kept on your smart phone or tablet BUT there’s also nothing wrong with the same printed on paper with ink. Come to think of it the paper printed version doesn’t depend on how much battery power you have, never becomes unreadable in bright sunlight and there’s no need to zoom-in or maneuver with your fingers to see details.....what a wonderful invention it’s just too bad it isn’t “modern tech”........LOL

Understood but the effort is to be green. I read an article some where that Acura wanted to remain green in that effort since many manuals just sat in the glove box and never used after purchase. However, for those that are not interested in saving the tress or whatever the reason may be, they still allow the option to order a manual. They know that eventually those that prefer a manual will be gone eventually and they wont have to worry about manuals in the future.It is the future of manuals just like many other things are gone.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Valid arguments for saving paper, but I kind of like getting that leatherette/genuine leather owners manual pouch with a real printed manual, tho I haven't purchased new in a long time. My last few cars have been used. Maybe dealerships should keep some printed manuals on hand for those old-schoolers that request them upon car delivery.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:16 AM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by ednigma
Valid arguments for saving paper, but I kind of like getting that leatherette/genuine leather owners manual pouch with a real printed manual, tho I haven't purchased new in a long time. My last few cars have been used. Maybe dealerships should keep some printed manuals on hand for those old-schoolers that request them upon car delivery.
You still get the 'Owner's Guide' in the nice leatherette folder. It's an abridged version of the printed manual. Has all the basics.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:08 AM
Drifting

If you look for problems, you will find them. If you look for solutions, you will find them too. PDF-only owners manuals are something that can be worked around.
HONDAFIXER (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello

1983 called....
LOL! I literally just spit my coffee out.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

I make jokes about electronic vs printed manuals but the truth is the printed manuals have gone totally unused for my last 2 vehicles.

When I traded my previous ride I couldn't even remember where the printed versions were (found them tucked in with the jack and tools) and my current vehicle they are stuck in one of the under floor storage compartments still in the shrink wrap. I don't even own a '19 RDX yet (that may change later today) but I've read the QRG cover to cover and skimmed the entire OM pdf versions.

Easy enough to print the few pages that might be necessary on the road and keep them in the vehicle. Haven't yet put a PDF version on my phone but that doesn't seem like it would be an impossible task.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
My wife still has trouble with the electronic shift lever in my BMW. You can see her thinking through when to push the side button or the top button, and which way is drive and which reverse. We drove MTs for thirty years, and she never had a problem, and never had a problem with any other ATs along the way either. She has a problem with the non-standard cruise control as well, and must specifically remember which hidden stalk it is and how it works.

I think the two-screen in her current Accord is dumb, but it is not a problem. The unusual shifter in the Bimmer is a problem for her. The various control idiosyncrasies are why she still does not like to drive the car. When she does drive the car, it is usually to spell me on long trips, and when she gets going, she enjoys the power, ride, brakes, and the actual driving experience. But she is never comfortable. This is a concern for me in this RDX.
I brought home a TLX loaner with button shift. Driver #2 said, "NEVER". She is still driving her '13 TL!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

There is something to be said about the true and tried zic zac shifter. You never have to look down to know if you have hit R or D or P.

Push button is just “redesign because they can”. I have yet to hear any one citing any benefits. It doesn’t even save space! Oh wait, Acura did argue that you won’t hit a stick if you swing bags over to the passenger side.....
Old 06-28-2018, 09:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
If you look for problems, you will find them. If you look for solutions, you will find them too. PDF-only owners manuals are something that can be worked around.
Yup, just like pushing and holding a button for 3 seconds to disengage the AS/S feature. Some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

It’s call settling or overlook or accustom to or 80/20...

it it doesn’t mean it’s good design.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Pro

I had a 2016 TLX with the push button gear selector and liked it right away. I like the one in the TLX even better because it's up higher.
Seems perfectly natural to me and I don't miss the old gear lever at all.

I find the little stick control in BMWs unintuitive and weird.

We all have different preferences.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Do you still look down at the buttons to select or see what mode you are at?

As I do parallel parking a lot in NYC, I never have to look down to search for the shifter or know which gear I am selecting. But I dont know if that’s from muscle memory or intuition anymore....

i have test drove the car twice and this is the only thing that’s making me think twice.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Pro

No need to look down but, if you do, it's easier than if they were lower on the console.
Park is at the top.
Reverse pulls back rather than pressing and feels different.
Neutral is flat and in the middle.
Drive/Sequential is round.
They all feel different from one another.

The gear indicator is also in the instrument cluster.

The only issue with parallel parking might be the brief delay in the reverse camera but, that would likely be the same with a regular gear lever.

As I said, 3 years of experience makes it all feel very natural. When I drive a different car, the gear lever feels oddly intrusive to me.
The dial-type control used by Jaguar, Ford, and Chrysler/Jeep looks strange to me but, I assume I would get used to it after a few days as well.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catbert430
No need to look down but, if you do, it's easier than if they were lower on the console.
Park is at the top.
Reverse pulls back rather than pressing and feels different.
Neutral is flat and in the middle.
Drive/Sequential is round.
They all feel different from one another....
Agree with all points. Test drove one this morning and no issues at all with the 'shifter'. Push straight down for P and N, pull back for R and push forward for D/S. No way I can see to inadvertently get into the wrong gear or to spend much time fumbling around to find the right gear.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Yup, just like pushing and holding a button for 3 seconds to disengage the AS/S feature. Some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining.
Of course people like to complain. (And that includes people complaining about other people complaining.) Traffic around here would be pretty slow if they didn't. But that doesn't change the fact that some complaints are legit. Why not just have the ASS remember its last setting so owners can turn it off and leave it off if that's their wish?
Old 06-28-2018, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotRodW
...Why not just have the ASS remember its last setting so owners can turn it off and leave it off if that's their wish?
It has to do with the CAFE MPG 'mileage credits' from the EPA. The less flexibility there is for owners to control the system the more CAFE credits the manufacturer gets.

ex: With no S/S system there is 0MPG credit; S/S that 'remembers' the last setting might be a .2MPG credit; S/S that defaults to 'ON' and does not remember a .4MPG credit; S/S that's always 'ON' and cannot be turned off (as in the new GM systems) gets a .6MPG credit. It's a big deal for manufacturers and not something they implement on a whim.

Note: The above numbers are just an example, the actual credits are determined by a fairly complex formula but you get the idea of why the different methods may varying from one manufacturer to another depending on their total model mix.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
It has to do with the CAFE MPG 'mileage credits' from the EPA. The less flexibility there is for owners to control the system the more CAFE credits the manufacturer gets.

ex: With no S/S system there is 0MPG credit; S/S that 'remembers' the last setting might be a .2MPG credit; S/S that defaults to 'ON' and does not remember a .4MPG credit; S/S that's always 'ON' and cannot be turned off (as in the new GM systems) gets a .6MPG credit. It's a big deal for manufacturers and not something they implement on a whim.

Note: The above numbers are just an example, the actual credits are determined by a fairly complex formula but you get the idea of why the different methods may varying from one manufacturer to another depending on their total model mix.
ASS in general has an impact on Off-Cycle credits, and I know the credits vary by type of system employed, but when I looked previously, I wasn't able to find documentation that indicates the credits are reduced if the manufacturer allows you to disable the system for multiple start cycles.

Regardless of the reason or justification, I dislike the systems immensely. I am less likely to purchase a vehicle that engages ASS automatically at every start, and unlikely to purchase one that has one that can't be turned off at all.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I did a test drive today and the salesman indicated that Acura is looking to remove the ASS button. I find that hard to believe but that is what he told me.
btw.....great test drive.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by catbert430
I had a 2016 TLX with the push button gear selector and liked it right away. I like the one in the TLX even better because it's up higher.
Seems perfectly natural to me and I don't miss the old gear lever at all.

I find the little stick control in BMWs unintuitive and weird.

We all have different preferences.
The only reason you find the little stick in the BMW unintuitive and weird is because it is. Push forward to go back, and back to go forward. Hold the side button in when pushing forward to go back, don’t hold the side button to pull back to go forward. Press the top button to put the car in Park. Took me quite a while to get used to that, and, since I think that manual gear selection is no substitute for a real stick, I never got down whether you push forward to downshift, or pull back to downshift.

Other than that, piece of cake.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
catbert430 (06-28-2018), GW208 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
I did a test drive today and the salesman indicated that Acura is looking to remove the ASS button. I find that hard to believe but that is what he told me.
btw.....great test drive.
Saw a post in some BMW forum that BMW is going to do the same thing. As it stands now BMWs button to disable ASS is part of the EngineStart button assembly making it very easy to switch off when starting the engine in one swift motion.

The system can be coded so that it remembers the last state of the ASS off button.

Supposedly in 2019/20, ASS will be non-defeatable.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:07 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by robuckj
I agree, it happens on many cars--but I drove an MDX from 2005 until 2012 and never encountered that problem--only when I bought the 2013 RDX did I see it. I believe it has something to do with how far back the camera is mounted, under the overhang for the license plate--it is a lot more exposed to water in the later models than it was in the old MDX (not sure about newer MDXs). To me it seriously degrades safety if you can't see anything, so I've got to figure out some kind of "fix" for it, just as a matter of principle-- some additional "drip edge" or something that doesn't interfere with the image.
The fix is like some cars that have it behind a logo and it flips up when you reverse. Its then always clean.

Quick Reply: Brief Reactions from a New Owner