Brief Reactions from a New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 09:50 PM
2019 RDX Tech SH-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
I am at day 12 with the RDX. I love it. Not without issues though as I have had some audio software issues pop up and yes, shifter is goofy. But this car is amazing and if you like Acura this RDX is everything you ever hoped Acura could be. They nailed it in every way. I waited so long for this. I was able to order a nav manual, but go to myAcura.com to download.
The following 4 users liked this post by stevesTL:
a35tl (06-17-2018), Froid (06-18-2018), Outfitter (06-17-2018), robuckj (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 02:29 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Fuel economy on a 7.4L engine? LOL!!

The puny 2.0T can give it a good run for its money... But only after a Hondata tune! Then the 454 might shit a little brick!
I wonder if a Hondata tune could bypass the ASS? Or change it to recall the last setting? That might bring a whole new customer to their door. Just a mod to remove the ASS?
Old 06-17-2018, 06:06 AM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
If the auto stop/start is a passive system instead of the active system that it currently is, then Acura could not use it in its mileage claims. Thank the Gov.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:19 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by stevesTL
I am at day 12 with the RDX. I love it. Not without issues though as I have had some audio software issues pop up and yes, shifter is goofy. But this car is amazing and if you like Acura this RDX is everything you ever hoped Acura could be. They nailed it in every way. I waited so long for this. I was able to order a nav manual, but go to myAcura.com to download.
Thanks for your post. With so much angst on these forums over this and that, it is nice to get some perspective by hearing from someone who is enjoying their RDX.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I really want to "like" the new 2019 RDX but having gone through the owning experience in buying "a newly redesigned" car in 2013 (Nissan Altima) I will probably wait until the 2020 RDX model year. My past experience of being a "beta tester" for an automotive company was an awful experience. Hopefully the defalt ASS issue, with no way of turning it off completely (for those who prefer that) will be made possible, even if by after market vendors. Does anyone know when the second model year for the RDX will begin (2020's)?

Also, I've read replies about the "car wash mode". What's that? IF I go to one of those car washes where the driver sits in the car and is told to place the car in neutral as it moves through the wash ....is there something special that needs to be done by the driver? Can you just place the car in neutral? Will the car engine shut down?
Old 06-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
I really want to "like" the new 2019 RDX but having gone through the owning experience in buying "a newly redesigned" car in 2013 (Nissan Altima) I will probably wait until the 2020 RDX model year. My past experience of being a "beta tester" for an automotive company was an awful experience. Hopefully the defalt ASS issue, with no way of turning it off completely (for those who prefer that) will be made possible, even if by after market vendors. Does anyone know when the second model year for the RDX will begin (2020's)?

Also, I've read replies about the "car wash mode". What's that? IF I go to one of those car washes where the driver sits in the car and is told to place the car in neutral as it moves through the wash ....is there something special that needs to be done by the driver? Can you just place the car in neutral? Will the car engine shut down?

If you remain in the car, with the door closed, you can stay in neutral. Read P 422 of the owners manual.
■ If you want to keep the transmission in (N position [car wash mode] With the engine running: 1. Press and hold the brake pedal. 2. Select (N, then release the button to display (N (Neutral) hold mode on the multi-information display. 3. Press and hold (N again for two seconds. u This puts the vehicle in car wash mode which must be used when your vehicle is pulled through a conveyor type automatic car wash where you or an attendant do not remain in the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
robuckj (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
And when it stops the engine you should be able to shake the steering wheel to restart the engine like on my TLX.
Stew4HD (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
And when it stops the engine you should be able to shake the steering wheel to restart the engine like on my TLX.
I typically just let off the brake ever so slightly to get the restart
robuckj (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Per the owner's manual it will.
Stew4HD (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I typically just let off the brake ever so slightly to get the restart
Similarly, I’ve found that if I don’t press the brake pedal all the way after I stop the the vehicle, start/stop will not trigger. The engine only stops if I keep ithe pedal pressed fully after the vehicle comes to a stop.
Stew4HD (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:06 AM
Advanced

Seriously?!?!.....I have to "shake the steering wheel" to keep the engine from shutting down in a car wash..... you're kidding aren't you?
Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

.Not shake, just barely move the steering wheel to either direction. As soon as the system senses the steering wheel movement, the engine restarts
Old 06-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Seriously?!?!.....I have to "shake the steering wheel" to keep the engine from shutting down in a car wash..... you're kidding aren't you?
Auto Idle Stop (AIS) has nothing to do with the so-called "car wash" mode. What are you talking about? There is a slight lag to get moving again after AIS has shut down the engine (for obvious reasons); if you anticipate the traffic will start moving again shortly and want to avoid that lag, simply ease off your right foot from the brake pedal slightly, or give the steering wheel a slight twist. That's what the others were talking about.

Why don't you go test drive an actually vehicle, instead of talking about it endlessly? Then you can move on to something else.
The following 6 users liked this post by Accord07:
a35tl (06-18-2018), HONDAFIXER (06-18-2018), Madd Dog (06-18-2018), steve_97060 (06-18-2018), Stew4HD (06-18-2018), TacoBello (06-20-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Or maybe spend the half a second to disable it by hitting the button. I've never had this before, but I can't see it being so cumbersome that it's a huge deal. I'm sure after a week it becomes like putting on your seatbelt.
37tzee (06-19-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
Or maybe spend the half a second to disable it by hitting the button. I've never had this before, but I can't see it being so cumbersome that it's a huge deal. I'm sure after a week it becomes like putting on your seatbelt.
I got in that habit on my TLX. Just start the car, push the "A" button, drive off.
37tzee (06-20-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 10:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by robuckj
You are probably right, but I haven't tried that yet. Voice command for Nav on the 2013 was somewhere between useless and difficult, IMO, so I'll have to see if it has improved for 2019.
Big time improvement. Normal spoken language is recognized.
Stew4HD (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Accord07........I love stick shift cars. I own a 6 speed manual Porsche Boxster.
Having said that, the idea of a start/stop system isn't for me. I can just imagine trying to parallel park where one has to move back and forth to maneuver into the spot and each time coming to a full stop each time....does that mean the engine will stop and start each time I move back and forth?.........IF so, a total PITA. I really wanted to like this SUV but spending years pressing a defeat button each time I drive is something I'd get tired of fast.
If you go back and read a few posts up, it's stated that start/stop will not activate in a slow parking situation.

All of this is new technology for a lot of folks here that they will just have to get used to. The first car I had with start/stop was a pain for me. I just learned to push a button after starting the car to disable it. You old guys just have to get over it! (BTW - I just turned 60).

The back-up camera lens issue is a design fault. I first noticed a similar problem on my 2018 Audi. Up until that car, I've never had an issue.

I'm going to sit back and let the beta testing run its course for 2019. Looks like the wife will be getting a 2020. Surprisingly to me, she really likes the A-Spec model. She did raise exactly the same points on the Drive knob in the center of the dash. The "iPad glued to the dashboard" is another gripe. Here last gripe is the limited color choices. She was hoping for a nice dark shade of metallic green.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Drifting

The Q5 has a dark green, and you can get it with a beige leather interior, and have a modern MG look-alike.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Advanced

37teez......I agree with your comment about the multi-function screen on the dash, it does looks like it's glued on. For the life of me I can't understand why Acura didn't design it to look like it's actually designed to be part of the dash and not just an afterthought. I mean IF you are going to "re-design" then why does it look like an afterthought? In fairness, Acura isn't alone in this type of poor design, in fact most screens look like they are just "glued on". On the other end of the spectrum are the new Alfa's.....wow what a beautiful design and placement of their 'info screen"....it's designed into the dash! I'm not interested in an Alfa but it is a beautiful, well thought out placement/design.

I predict in years to come we'll look back at these types of screen placements the same as we do when we recall under dash AC units and door lock buttons on the window sills and ask "why?".

Come on Acura, incorporate the screen into the dash with good design and class!
Old 06-19-2018, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
I have an additional minor comment about the multi-function/navi screen, after I did a quick test drive of the 2019 RDX last week.
My current TLX has a nice top-cover shield or sunshade which really helps reducing bright light and glare onto the screen, but I noticed the new RDX does not have any kind of shade.
Does anyone know if one might be available as an accessory or as an after-market add-on? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 37tzee
If you go back and read a few posts up, it's stated that start/stop will not activate in a slow parking situation.

All of this is new technology for a lot of folks here that they will just have to get used to. The first car I had with start/stop was a pain for me. I just learned to push a button after starting the car to disable it. You old guys just have to get over it! (BTW - I just turned 60).

The back-up camera lens issue is a design fault. I first noticed a similar problem on my 2018 Audi. Up until that car, I've never had an issue.

I'm going to sit back and let the beta testing run its course for 2019. Looks like the wife will be getting a 2020. Surprisingly to me, she really likes the A-Spec model. She did raise exactly the same points on the Drive knob in the center of the dash. The "iPad glued to the dashboard" is another gripe. Here last gripe is the limited color choices. She was hoping for a nice dark shade of metallic green.
I like the single screen up in the dash and the Dynamic mode knob selector isn't that big in person...it just looks obnoxious in photos unfortunately. I actually really like the floating dash; I have long legs so it's nice to spread out instead of hitting a hard surface and having your knee rub up against that. My Mom is looking to get a new vehicle to replace her Oddy, so this should be a top choice. What I'm most happy about is the interior; Acura has really stepped it up here, especially with the small details.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:16 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Consumer Reports Podcast

CR was very critical of the dash control layout and the touch pad.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by R. White
In the end, it's personal preference. I happen to like the dash control layout and touch pad. Yes, it's different but seems to be a step in the right direction.

I had a Lexus with that "mouse" and it sucked! This one seems easier to use though time will tell, as always.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 AM
Drifting

My wife sat in it and said it looks like an airplane cockpit, and not in a good way. She thought it might just be too much tech for her. The steering wheel bristling with buttons, a new kind of remote touch-screen interface; she seemed pretty intimidated, and thought the whole thing would be distracting.

For me, the inability to control the zoom level of the map is my biggest concern.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 06-20-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

My wife sat in it and said it looks like an airplane cockpit, and not in a good way. She thought it might just be too much tech for her. The steering wheel bristling with buttons, a new kind of remote-touch screen interface; she seemed pretty intimidated.

For me, the inability to control the zoom level of the map is my biggest concern.
Is the inability to control zoom limited to the Acura Nav or also Carplay nav?

Is the zoom feature also not available that go for maps in apple car play (Apple maps and soon Waze)?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife sat in it and said it looks like an airplane cockpit, and not in a good way. She thought it might just be too much tech for her. The steering wheel bristling with buttons, a new kind of remote touch-screen interface; she seemed pretty intimidated, and thought the whole thing would be distracting.
My wife was also intimidated with the track pad and controls but her plan is to learn the basics (Navigation and Radio) and leave the rest alone. I plan to change the default setting to comfort too such that she does not even need to worry about that...
Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by burn1010
Is the inability to control zoom limited to the Acura Nav or also Carplay nav?

Is the zoom feature also not available that go for maps in apple car play (Apple maps and soon Waze)?
I don’t know about CarPlay, but it seems like you can’t zoom the map the way I like to use Nav in the car. There is another thread on Nav.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting because my wife isn't a big fan of the touch pad/nav interface either.

Even more interesting are the discounts on 2018 MDX's that make them much more of an alternative for us.

MOST interesting is a dealership in Jacksonville that has a few leftover 2017 MDX's at over $10K off. I realize we are talking a somewhat apples and oranges thing here between an RDX and a MDX, let alone the major discount is on effectively an almost two year old car. However, doubtful anyone can tell the difference between a 2017 and the 2019 when released. Interesting option for the wife as it will probably be her last car, or she'll hold on to it so long that the difference in resale value between a '17 and a'19 will be negligible.

More than likely, we are just going to wait until mid next year and see how everything shakes out. She loves the exterior of the RDX, but really misses her 2008 MDX. Time will tell.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord07
Auto Idle Stop (AIS) has nothing to do with the so-called "car wash" mode. What are you talking about? There is a slight lag to get moving again after AIS has shut down the engine (for obvious reasons); if you anticipate the traffic will start moving again shortly and want to avoid that lag, simply ease off your right foot from the brake pedal slightly, or give the steering wheel a slight twist. That's what the others were talking about.

Why don't you go test drive an actually vehicle, instead of talking about it endlessly? Then you can move on to something else.
In my line of work, I deal plenty with residents. Let me tell you, 9 out of every 10 times, it's someone retired who's complaining. People eventually get to a certain age where they apparently have plenty of time on their hands. As we age, we also become more and more fearful of change. That, along with having lots of free time, results in complaints coming in from retired residents 90% of the time.

Judging by Rob's profile- he seems to fit the demographic

Sorry Rob, but you're freaking out about having to hold a button for three seconds. I dunno where you're always in such a rush that the three second wait is too much, or how you possibly can't come to terms with the change. I'm expecting you to come back and say "I'm okay with change, so long as it makes sense!" Unfortunately for you, it's all about perception and from which side you're looking at the change. It can look equally good or bad, depending on your viewpoint.

Embrace it. It won't kill you. I promise it won't ruin your life either. Or... just move to another brand. There are a dozen other vehicles in this category for you to choose from.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

CR (and most reviewers) tend to be critical of infotainment systems because there's no standard therefore there's a bit of a learning curve that they don't have time for so they never get comfortable with them. Read the reviews on just about any 'tech' product that has a learning curve and it will be the same - there will be more negative than positive.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
I am still a big proponent in general for Consumer Reports however I don't take their opinions on infotainment for any value. It's way too subjective and should not be included in reliability scores/.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I wonder if a Hondata tune could bypass the ASS? Or change it to recall the last setting? That might bring a whole new customer to their door. Just a mod to remove the ASS?
Hey, that's a good point! If anything, owners should start bombarding Hondata with a request to include that into the software (if at all possible). I wonder if it is just as simple as that... it seems to be just a programming thing (at least as far as I can tell).

The squeaky wheel gets the grease... owners should start emailing Hondata!
Old 06-20-2018, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Are you guys seriously criticizing Rob for finding pushing few buttons non-ergonomic? Old age, afraid of change? Are you aware that Samsung lost a 120million lawsuit over a swipe-to-unlock gesture to Apple?

Ergonomic is every day comfort. Just because you adept, it doesn't make it right or comfortable. You have passion for the car and enjoy its other feature so much you can overlook those issues but don't judge others for criticizing it.

Consumer Report is the only media that continues to criticize Acura's decision to move to a push button shift systems and the only media that called out the waste of realestate for the giant drive dynamic button that will probably get seldom usage. CR doesn't get incentives from the vendors, they are not afraid to piss off advertisers. So they call it as they see it.

Let's be real here.

Last edited by acuraada; 06-20-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by mcrompton
I am still a big proponent in general for Consumer Reports however I don't take their opinions on infotainment for any value. It's way too subjective and should not be included in reliability scores/.
Agree that some of their issues are subjective and when you watch their roundtable discussions, some of the opinions seem to be very subjective. As of late I have been losing faith in CR. I have found many of their reviews of items to be exactly opposite of my experiences with items. I once made a major purchase based upon a glowing recommendation by CR, only to see that they reversed their recommendation about 2 weeks after I had made the purchase.....thanks!
Stew4HD (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I just look at the reliability data and if they say something about safety but ignore the rest.
Stew4HD (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boltface
I just look at the reliability data and if they say something about safety but ignore the rest.
That's exactly how their (or any other) reviews should be used. Anything that's not factual is just opinion and/or personal preference.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by acuraada
Are you guys seriously criticizing Rob for finding pushing few buttons non-ergonomic? Old age, afraid of change? Are you aware that Samsung lost a 120million lawsuit over a swipe-to-unlock gesture to Apple?

Ergonomic is every day comfort. Just because you adept, it doesn't make it right or comfortable. You have passion for the car and enjoy its other feature so much you can overlook those issues but don't judge others for criticizing it.

Consumer Report is the only media that continues to criticize Acura's decision to move to a push button shift systems and the only media that called out the waste of realestate for the giant drive dynamic button that will probably get seldom usage. CR doesn't get incentives from the vendors, they are not afraid to piss off advertisers. So they call it as they see it.

Let's be real here.
Well when someone bitches about it, post after post, what are we supposed to do? Write Acura on his behalf and tell them he's not happy?

It's in his power to do something about it. Either deal with it, or move to another brand. Acura isn't changing shit due to EPA standards.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:12 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The original owner can order a printed manual for a Honda Accord.

Owner's Manual 2018 Honda Accord Sedan Honda Owners Site

I would be very surprised if you can’t do this for an Acura, but I would not be surprised if the salesman doesn’t know it. It might take a while for Acura to get up to speed on this.
A salesman not knowing ----- gee!
Old 06-20-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by mcrompton
The criticism of the UX was from a Talking Cars episode - those are opinion based and not to be confused with their reliability scores.

The people who do the show seem to have an anti-Acura bias over the past few years (some of it well earned) - time will tell if they're right on this one.
Stew4HD (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dirleton
A salesman not knowing ----- gee!
I usually know more about the car than the salesmen do!

Quick Reply: Brief Reactions from a New Owner