Brief Reactions from a New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
As was stated earlier:

Engine start/stop doesn’t activate unless you’ve exceeded a certain speed immediately prior to bringing a car to a halt. It won’t happen in a parallel parking situation.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Press Start button to start car, move hand six inches to the right, press button to disable stop-start. Really, how hard is that?
The following users liked this post:
MTD (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Press Start button to start car, move hand six inches to the right, press button to disable stop-start. Really, how hard is that?
Yes, but then you need to move your hand (again) another 6 inches to push the drive button (and god forbid you must reverse out of your spot first...another button push...err pull) ...this may be asking too much.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mattski
Yes, but then you need to move your hand (again) another 6 inches to push the drive button (and god forbid you must reverse out of your spot first...another button push...err pull) ...this may be asking too much.

You know, I never thought of that.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:11 AM
Lost in translation

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So much back & forth on this 'disable stop-start,' I do not recall if anybody said the disable feature works only with the RDX in park.
Can you be on your merry way and reach over and defeat the feature? Or, re-enable it if desired?

Also, I imagine the "opening the driver's door will throw the tranny into park" function will not occur with the car moving.
Thinking how many times in my life it became necessary for me to open and close the door while in motion.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
You can disable stop-start at any time.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Froid
So much back & forth on this 'disable stop-start,' I do not recall if anybody said the disable feature works only with the RDX in park.
Can you be on your merry way and reach over and defeat the feature? Or, re-enable it if desired?

Also, I imagine the "opening the driver's door will throw the tranny into park" function will not occur with the car moving.
Thinking how many times in my life it became necessary for me to open and close the door while in motion.
This has to be the longest thread ever about a button.

A number of the features are controlled electronically and can be toggled while the vehicle is in motion, such as auto idle stop (on/off), D/S (Drive/Sequential), and brake hold (on/off).
Old 06-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord07
This has to be the longest thread ever about a button.
LOL
Old 06-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
Accord07........I love stick shift cars. I own a 6 speed manual Porsche Boxster.
Having said that, the idea of a start/stop system isn't for me. I can just imagine trying to parallel park where one has to move back and forth to maneuver into the spot and each time coming to a full stop each time....does that mean the engine will stop and start each time I move back and forth?.........IF so, a total PITA. I really wanted to like this SUV but spending years pressing a defeat button each time I drive is something I'd get tired of fast.
I live in north NJ and have had my 15' TLX SH-AWD with auto stop/start, so I do quite a bit of parallel parking. Unfortunately this feature doesn't work that way because the system can somewhat detect rapid successive braking to a stop & go, therefore it will stop doing it. It also does not do it all the time. If you're in stop & go traffic it will only do it once in a while because it does not allow rapid repetitive stop/starts in a short period of time. The part I find it most cumbersome is if you need to accellerate quickly, like trying to make a left hand turn or an on ramp from a dig that you need to quickly get up to speed. But the stop/start system is pressure sensitive to the brake pedal. So if I know i have to accellerate quickly then I wont push down as hard on the brake pedal. If you come to a complete stop and you're only pushing on the brake pedal lightly it will not shut the engine off.
robuckj (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
The lights in Raleigh can be literally a 3 minute wait so I'm actually pretty excited about the start/stop technology. That's where I lose so much MPG
robuckj (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 02:17 PM
mch
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone else's car shake quite a bit when waking up from the start/stop tech? This is first time I've had a car or rode in one that has this feature and it can be quite annoying... I've thought someone pushed my car or what not on a few occasions.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:19 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

No, it works when parking. One less button to push for those that are so anti-pushing-buttons lol.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcrompton
The lights in Raleigh can be literally a 3 minute wait so I'm actually pretty excited about the start/stop technology. That's where I lose so much MPG
Depending on outside temperature, the engine may not be able to stay off for that long.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mch
Does anyone else's car shake quite a bit when waking up from the start/stop tech? This is first time I've had a car or rode in one that has this feature and it can be quite annoying... I've thought someone pushed my car or what not on a few occasions.
Unfortunately that's part of the deal, every engine start will come with some vibrations, not any worse or better than when you start the engine "normally".
robuckj (06-16-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MTD
No, it works when parking. One less button to push for those that are so anti-pushing-buttons lol.
Yes, I know some are very much against the buttons. It didn't take me long to get used to it. Besides, without mechanical linkage between the shifter and actual gears, buttons actually make sense to me. Except when I intend to leave the engine idling, or when my kids are using a Roku stick to stream video (stopping the engine stops USB ports in the back as well, the Roku stick is powered by one of them, not all streaming apps deal with a sudden loss of power well and may not resume at the correct location on the next run); the data-capable USB port in the console, however, is directly connected to the head unit and remains on until the driver door is opened), I usually hit the engine start/stop button directly when I park my van, because hitting P first is just a formality now and the shifter will go to P automatically.
The following 2 users liked this post by Accord07:
MTD (06-14-2018), robuckj (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:38 AM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

THAT is complicated. LOL

Could you move your aircraft over there? Yes, just 30 minutes, I have to push 200 buttons. LOL
Old 06-15-2018, 07:45 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Well......sorry folks but the system that makes the start/stop system work is sounding more and more complex with each reply. There's a button to disable it each time you get in to drive, brake peddle pressure can affect when the system works, outside temps can affect how it works, stop and go traffic can affect the system, better yet I can push the D/S 3 times and it will disable it BUT then only use 8 gears not all 10 etc etc......REALLY???.......A system that "variable" is bound to present problems 3-4-5+ years down the road. It's NOT about "pressing buttons", its about designing a complex system to save a few sips of fuel to satisfy the EPA......AND by the way the new RDX gets only fair fuel economy ratings at best. And I haven't even mentioned the 2019 RDX has the lowest in class towing capacity (1,500 lbs)....but that's a discussion for another thread.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Pro

Well......sorry folks but the system that makes the start/stop system work is sounding more and more complex with each reply. There's a button to disable it each time you get in to drive, brake peddle pressure can affect when the system works, outside temps can affect how it works, stop and go traffic can affect the system, better yet I can push the D/S 3 times and it will disable it BUT then only use 8 gears not all 10 etc etc......REALLY???.......A system that "variable" is bound to present problems 3-4-5+ years down the road. It's NOT about "pressing buttons", its about designing a complex system to save a few sips of fuel to satisfy the EPA......AND by the way the new RDX gets only fair fuel economy ratings at best. And I haven't even mentioned the 2019 RDX has the lowest in class towing capacity (1,500 lbs)....but that's a discussion for another thread.
Sounds like the RDX is just not for you, my good man. Happy Elsewhere Shopping.
TacoBello (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by birdonamission

Sounds like the RDX is just not for you, my good man. Happy Elsewhere Shopping.
Is this what you have in mind? From what I heard they are easy to operate and offers better handling:

Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Pro

Is this what you have in mind? From what I heard they are easy to operate and offers better handling:

No, probably not. I think one would miss the HUD too much with that one.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:37 AM
2013 RDX tech Amber

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have had start stop in my BMW for last 3 years lease ends this August. After driving the Acura I found its start stop to be much less intrusive and barely noticiable compared to the BMW. To those that are coming from a car without it I know it can be strange at first but after a month of driving you get used to it.
DWG (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Lost in translation

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, I know some are very much against the buttons. It didn't take me long to get used to it. Besides, without mechanical linkage between the shifter and actual gears, buttons actually make sense to me. Except when I intend to leave the engine idling, or when my kids are using a Roku stick to stream video (stopping the engine stops USB ports in the back as well, the Roku stick is powered by one of them, not all streaming apps deal with a sudden loss of power well and may not resume at the correct location on the next run); the data-capable USB port in the console, however, is directly connected to the head unit and remains on until the driver door is opened), I usually hit the engine start/stop button directly when I park my van, because hitting P first is just a formality now and the shifter will go to P automatically.
Wondering if I'm the only one who does this in my '14: with trans out of park, press off button to shutoff engine, then put trans into park. This keeps my RDX in accessory mode, uninterrupted. I generally do this while listening to music or talking on my phone via Bluetooth thru the car's speakers. It avoids disconnecting. It'd be swell if the '19 allows this.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Wondering if I'm the only one who does this in my '14: with trans out of park, press off button to shutoff engine, then put trans into park. This keeps my RDX in accessory mode, uninterrupted. I generally do this while listening to music or talking on my phone via Bluetooth thru the car's speakers. It avoids disconnecting. It'd be swell if the '19 allows this.
Yep I do the same when on a phone call!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
I never got used to stop/start. Fortunately, I was able to have the dealer disable it in my BMW. (Not permanently, but it was changed to remember the last setting at restart. That's how they should ALL function.) ASS (yep, I said it) doesn't bother my wife in her car now that she's used to it, but I still turn it off on the rare occasion I drive her car. At least Acura allows you to turn it off. Some do not, or like Volvo make you go to far into the infotainment system's menu to bother.

One ASS scenario that I find potentially dangerous goes like this: driver pulls into garage, talking on the phone or listening to their favorite tune. The car shuts off when he/she comes to a stop, but otherwise distracted, the driver doesn't put the car in park or turn off the ignition. When the song or phone conversation finishes a minute or two later, he/she lifts her foot off the brake, and the car fires up and leaps forward. Yes, it's human error, but it's an easy error to make. Cars with collision-avoidance should prevent the car from driving into the kitchen, but even in luxury cars collision-avoidance is far from a standard feature.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
This Canadian trick doesn't work for US models, at least in my MY18 Advanced. I wished it did but even the manual says it won't work for US models. Using your scenario, accessory power turns off when releasing the lock button after shifting into park. Add that to the list of things available only in Canada!
Old 06-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Team Owner

Soooo why are you here and why are you even considering the RDX?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:16 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Surely you dont think Acura has created something unique here do you. Everything they have on this 2019 RDX has been used for nearly 10 years elsewhere. 4 of my cars all the features that the 2019 Acura RDX has finally decided to implement. Most manufactures are having limited issues if any with them now that these features have been around so long. Can anyone name a feature that isnt or hasnt been in use for years now? I too had been an analog car guy but in order to purchase newer cars, these features were standard in all of my more recent purchases so I had to adjust to them. Spend a day or two with the RDX or any other newer vehicle and you will get used to the features. If one doersnt like then keep the vehicle you have as more vehicles will have more of these features each year.

Last edited by Hou-RL; 06-15-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
Surely you dont think Acura has created something unique here do you. Everything they have on this 2019 RDX has been used for nearly 10 years elsewhere. 4 of my cars all the features that the 2019 Acura RDX has finally decided to implement. Most manufactures are having limited issues if any with them now that these features have been around so long. Can anyone name a feature that isnt or hasnt been in use for years now? I too had been an analog car guy but in order to purchase newer cars, these features were standard in all of my more recent purchases so I had to adjust to them. Spend a day or two with the RDX or any other newer vehicle and you will get used to the features. If one doersnt like then keep the vehicle you have as more vehicles will have more of these features each year.

Right.

The problem with all these modern cars is that they are so modern. Whatever happened to sticking a screwdriver into the butterflies and pouring Gumout into the carb? Then you could say to your buds, “lookit that blue shit coming out! This stuff really works.” And then have a couple or few more beers.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 06-15-2018 at 05:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
robuckj (06-16-2018), TacoBello (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Right.

The problem with all these modern cars is that they are so modern. Whatever happened to sticking a screwdriver into the butterflies and pouring Gumout into the carb? Then you could say to your buds, “lookit that blue shit coming out! This stuff really works.” And then have a couple or few more beers.
Carburators ruled! Except when they did not, which was most of the time. I remember helping my father rebuild the carb in his 1970 Chevy station wagon, which had a 454 engine, with 390 hp.

When I bought a 1992 Civic, I remember that one of the reasons that I chose it over the Accord was that the Civic was fuel injected, while the Accord still had a carb.
TacoBello (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:18 PM
Intermediate

I don't think this is uncommon, and would be even easier to do in these newer cars. Sometimes I need to make a quick run into a store, when the rest of my family would rather stay in the van. I hit the start/stop button to stop the engine first, music continues to come out of the front speakers while my kids continue to watch their streamed video; before I open the driver door which would cut all power, I press the start/stop button again to turn on accessory power, at that time I can get out without interrupting anything. This works out perfectly when the kids are using the few built-in video apps that came with the Rear Entertainment System, but one thing Honda engineers forgot was to make sure the rear USB ports would not lose power momentarily between the two presses - with two USB charging ports next to an HDMI input, it can be expected that some would put Roku, Chromecast, or Amazon Fire TV there. So I have to alert the kids the video would be interrupted. It is possible to work around it by running the streaming stick off the USB data/charging port in the console, but then I lose the ability to use Android Auto. At the end of the day this is a first world problem and no big deal.
robuckj (06-16-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
Carburators ruled! Except when they did not, which was most of the time. I remember helping my father rebuild the carb in his 1970 Chevy station wagon, which had a 454 engine, with 390 hp.

When I bought a 1992 Civic, I remember that one of the reasons that I chose it over the Accord was that the Civic was fuel injected, while the Accord still had a carb.

That 454 was a monster. 7.4 liters.

I bet the little, puny-assed 2.0 liter engine could give it conniptions.
TacoBello (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Team Owner

Fuel economy on a 7.4L engine? LOL!!

The puny 2.0T can give it a good run for its money... But only after a Hondata tune! Then the 454 might shit a little brick!
Old 06-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TacoBello
As was stated earlier:
. N n nmk 0.7 I'llI'll Pmmmk bu kkmm
mm look k kkmmk ml. Nm
hi km mo kmk n nmkmin mmmm.... no mkhi ko.m min nk 0.7m min li ko n猫猫美女你路基密密麻麻姐姐你那年纪。健康看开美女哦快乐里面难美女妹妹mkm模拟考
Old 06-16-2018, 03:46 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
...every engine start will come with some vibrations, not any worse or better than when you start the engine "normally".
Actually, in my copy of the new RDX, the re-starts seem to be smoother than the initial start-ups (using the start button). Re-starts also seem quieter; but, that could be because they happen with a lot of other traffic noise all around, while initial starts are in an otherwise quiet garage or parking spot. I’ve got an old sound meter, somewhere, so maybe I can actually measure starts vs. re-starts, in decibels. Just for fun.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by robuckj

Actually, in my copy of the new RDX, the re-starts seem to be smoother than the initial start-ups (using the start button). Re-starts also seem quieter; ...

Probably not your imagination. In other forums where this same discussion is taking place the consensus seems to be that the S/S implementation insures that one cylinder is positioned at (near to?) the top of the compression stroke so that a good portion of the force to turn the engine over comes from firing that spark plug.
robuckj (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ever try to fly an airplane,lol?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:59 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisBesu
Ever try to fly an airplane,lol?
Actually, yes... learned to fly a little Cessna many years ago.

As far as the RDX, I will have no problem hitting that A-S-S button every time I get in - will become automatic routine within a few weeks I am sure.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Actually, yes... learned to fly a little Cessna many years ago.

As far as the RDX, I will have no problem hitting that A-S-S button every time I get in - will become automatic routine within a few weeks I am sure.
fortunately most of my driving is highway so the ASS button won’t be needed much.

I just wanted to say ASS 😂
Old 06-16-2018, 05:07 PM
Drifting

One takes one’s opportunities when they present themselves.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Just so you know, if you are in neutral, you have to push the brake to shift into either reverse of drive but can shift directly into park. For those that use automatic car washes...

Quick Reply: Brief Reactions from a New Owner