Brief Reactions from a New Owner - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Brief Reactions from a New Owner

Old 06-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Brief Reactions from a New Owner

I took delivery of a 2019 RDX Tech FWD (White, Parchment) last Wednesday evening. Let me say, after only 5 days, I am really liking the way it drives--although I still am way short on experience with it. I drove a 2013 RDX Tech FWD (White, Parchment) for 6 years prior to this. The 2019 seems more quick & nimble in "Comfort" mode than the 2013 was in "Sport" mode, and quieter--and the rear seat and the cargo bay are a bit roomier.

My main concerns, so far, are the push-button shifter and the infotainment system. I rented a lot of cars during my working life and I know that, given a week or two, I can get used to driving almost anything of any size and level of refinement (or lack of it)--but, I'm still early on the learning curve with these two features of the 2019.

- So far, I really do miss the shift lever. I thought Consumer Reports was being way too picky by downgrading some really nice Honda/Acura cars because of the pushbutton transmission being "unintuitive." But now I get what they mean: it IS really difficult to know WITH CERTAINTY that the car is in "park" or "reverse," which I used to know merely by sight, or by feel for what position the stick is in when I'm holding it. Or--try to quickly throw it in reverse and back up a few feet when trying to enter traffic from a blind driveway (i.e., I stick my nose out to see if anyone is coming, and yes--they are, and bearing down a lot faster than I expected--and I have to take my eyes away from them and look down to see where the hell that "reverse" button is, and get my finger on it and engage it--the situation is a lot more stressful than it used to be). I'm really beginning wonder if Acura has made a serious ergonomic blunder here. I hope I'll get the hang of it after a bit, but it can be nerve wracking at this point in time.

-- I don't mind the TouchPad interface as much--the reviewers are correct, you will quickly get the hang of the interface itself. BUT--the Nav system control procedures, and the audio control procedures, are now largely buried in layers of menus, and way different from the 2013 version. Overlaying that with the new TouchPad gestures, along with the complete lack of dedicated buttons where there used to be some, makes it really confusing. I was completely frustrated trying to figure out how to simply zoom the nav map out so I could see a nearby destination onscreen; I think I figured it out later that day, but the 2013 had a large knob that made zooming in or out much easier and really quick. (Side issue: I'm completely amazed that they took such a large knob, made it bigger and more prominent for 2019, kept it in the middle of the console, but apparently it is now for the sole purpose of changing the driving modes--which I plan to do very rarely (maybe never, once I pick the mode I like best). I'd think they could have applied it to some more frequently-performed functions).

ALSO--when I asked "where are the missing manuals," I was told at the dealer that no Owner's Manual (651 pages) or Navigation System Manual (91 pages) are being delivered with the new RDX--I'm supposed to download them (there is a short printed "Owner's Guide" (70 pages), but it only tells you WHAT, not HOW). I can just see me carting my laptop out to the car and balancing it on the steering wheel while reading the manuals and figuring out how to work these new systems. Maybe there is a use for an iPad, after all.

Finally (for now), in the 2nd Generation Forum we used to fuss about the backup camera getting raindrops on the lens which blocks the view. I can report that--after 6 years and a complete redesign--they still haven't fixed it.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to robuckj For This Useful Post:
Acuramon (06-30-2018), Boltface (06-12-2018), Comfy (06-14-2018), DanFun (06-12-2018), Froid (06-14-2018), geocord (06-12-2018), HotRodW (06-12-2018), oblio98 (06-12-2018), Outfitter (06-12-2018), TSX69 (06-16-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by robuckj View Post
I took delivery of a 2019 RDX Tech FWD (White, Parchment) last Wednesday evening. Let me say, after only 5 days, I am really liking the way it drives--although I still am way short on experience with it. I drove a 2013 RDX Tech FWD (White, Parchment) for 6 years prior to this. The 2019 seems more quick & nimble in "Comfort" mode than the 2013 was in "Sport" mode, and quieter--and the rear seat and the cargo bay are a bit roomier.

My main concerns, so far, are the push-button shifter and the infotainment system. I rented a lot of cars during my working life and I know that, given a week or two, I can get used to driving almost anything of any size and level of refinement (or lack of it)--but, I'm still early on the learning curve with these two features of the 2019.

- So far, I really do miss the shift lever. I thought Consumer Reports was being way too picky by downgrading some really nice Honda/Acura cars because of the pushbutton transmission being "unintuitive." But now I get what they mean: it IS really difficult to know WITH CERTAINTY that the car is in "park" or "reverse," which I used to know merely by sight, or by feel for what position the stick is in when I'm holding it. Or--try to quickly throw it in reverse and back up a few feet when trying to enter traffic from a blind driveway (i.e., I stick my nose out to see if anyone is coming, and yes--they are, and bearing down a lot faster than I expected--and I have to take my eyes away from them and look down to see where the hell that "reverse" button is, and get my finger on it and engage it--the situation is a lot more stressful than it used to be). I'm really beginning wonder if Acura has made a serious ergonomic blunder here. I hope I'll get the hang of it after a bit, but it can be nerve wracking at this point in time.

-- I don't mind the TouchPad interface as much--the reviewers are correct, you will quickly get the hang of the interface itself. BUT--the Nav system control procedures, and the audio control procedures, are now largely buried in layers of menus, and way different from the 2013 version. Overlaying that with the new TouchPad gestures, along with the complete lack of dedicated buttons where there used to be some, makes it really confusing. I was completely frustrated trying to figure out how to simply zoom the nav map out so I could see a nearby destination onscreen; I think I figured it out later that day, but the 2013 had a large knob that made zooming in or out much easier and really quick. (Side issue: I'm completely amazed that they took such a large knob, made it bigger and more prominent for 2019, kept it in the middle of the console, but apparently it is now for the sole purpose of changing the driving modes--which I plan to do very rarely (maybe never, once I pick the mode I like best). I'd think they could have applied it to some more frequently-performed functions).

ALSO--when I asked "where are the missing manuals," I was told at the dealer that no Owner's Manual (651 pages) or Navigation System Manual (91 pages) are being delivered with the new RDX--I'm supposed to download them (there is a short printed "Owner's Guide" (70 pages), but it only tells you WHAT, not HOW). I can just see me carting my laptop out to the car and balancing it on the steering wheel while reading the manuals and figuring out how to work these new systems. Maybe there is a use for an iPad, after all.

Finally (for now), in the 2nd Generation Forum we used to fuss about the backup camera getting raindrops on the lens which blocks the view. I can report that--after 6 years and a complete redesign--they still haven't fixed it.
Thanks for your comments. Just a thought, regarding navigation there's a lot you can do with voice, at least in my 40 minutes behind the wheel.
The Following User Says Thank You to mapleloaf For This Useful Post:
robuckj (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 05:25 AM
Registered Member

I'm completely amazed that they took such a large knob, made it bigger and more prominent for 2019, kept it in the middle of the console, but apparently it is now for the sole purpose of changing the driving modes--which I plan to do very rarely (maybe never, once I pick the mode I like best). I'd think they could have applied it to some more frequently-performed functions).

My sentiments exactly. Seems like wasted real estate for other commonly used functions they could have placed there. I feel the rain drops on the lens is applicable to other rear review cameras... My wife has a Lexus RX and it happens too.
The Following User Says Thank You to pdpgps For This Useful Post:
robuckj (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:06 AM
Registered Member

The original owner can order a printed manual for a Honda Accord.

Owner's Manual 2018 Honda Accord Sedan Honda Owners Site

I would be very surprised if you canít do this for an Acura, but I would not be surprised if the salesman doesnít know it. It might take a while for Acura to get up to speed on this.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 06-12-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

If it turns out that you cannot get an Acura owners manual but can get a Honda one, I would be truly pissed.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:14 AM
Hello World

With all due respect, may I ask your age? Serious question, without any wish to offend you.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

OK, at this point I'm "shopping" for a new car this year or early next year. I like the new RDX ....but....I'm having a hard time considering the ENGINE AUTO STOP/START feature. I've never had it and don't really want it. It was explained to me that a push of a button will defeat it (turn it off)......BUT ONLY temporarily until the next time I start the car to drive somewhere. Then I'd have to push it again to defeat the "auto stop-start" feature to defeat it for that ride. I don't like the whole system. What happens when the engine shuts down at every stop when the AC is running? Sounds like the battery would take a beating as well as the starter. Needs to have the option to defeat it permanently......am I missing something?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
OK, at this point I'm "shopping" for a new car this year or early next year. I like the new RDX ....but....I'm having a hard time considering the ENGINE AUTO STOP/START feature. I've never had it and don't really want it. It was explained to me that a push of a button will defeat it (turn it off)......BUT ONLY temporarily until the next time I start the car to drive somewhere. Then I'd have to push it again to defeat the "auto stop-start" feature to defeat it for that ride. I don't like the whole system. What happens when the engine shuts down at every stop when the AC is running? Sounds like the battery would take a beating as well as the starter. Needs to have the option to defeat it permanently......am I missing something?
I was told during the test drive that the idle stop only works when AC is not at full blast. It was a pretty hot day and the first few miles it was not shutting off the car. Finally, the car cooled down and I could hear the engine stop. The engine is very quiet and I could not tell when it was on or off....
Old 06-12-2018, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pdpgps View Post
I feel the rain drops on the lens is applicable to other rear review cameras... My wife has a Lexus RX and it happens too.
I agree, it happens on many cars--but I drove an MDX from 2005 until 2012 and never encountered that problem--only when I bought the 2013 RDX did I see it. I believe it has something to do with how far back the camera is mounted, under the overhang for the license plate--it is a lot more exposed to water in the later models than it was in the old MDX (not sure about newer MDXs). To me it seriously degrades safety if you can't see anything, so I've got to figure out some kind of "fix" for it, just as a matter of principle-- some additional "drip edge" or something that doesn't interfere with the image.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

I agree, it happens on many cars--but I drove an MDX from 2005 until 2012 and never encountered that problem--only when I bought the 2013 RDX did I see it. I believe it has something to do with how far back the camera is mounted, under the overhang for the license plate--it is a lot more exposed to water in the later models than it was in the old MDX (not sure about newer MDXs). To me it seriously degrades safety if you can't see anything, so I've got to figure out some kind of "fix" for it, just as a matter of principle-- some additional "drip edge" or something that doesn't interfere with the image.
The RDX manual says this on page 505: "If the rear camera lens is covered with dirt or moisture, activate the rearview camera washer* or use a soft, moist cloth to keep the lens clean and free of debris." [* Not available on all models]

Couldn't this address / mitigate this issue some?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

...I like the new RDX ....but....I'm having a hard time considering the ENGINE AUTO STOP/START feature. I've never had it and don't really want it.
It supposedly saves gas, but a lot of automakers have really rough systems--a lot of harshness when the motor cuts off, and again when it restarts. I suppose we could also worry about the potential for "added wear and tear." I've never had it, before, either; but, after a week of using it, the RDX system seems fairly smooth in engine cut-off and in restarting. So far I don't dislike it at all, and intend to keep using it--I will have to trust that it actually does save fuel I'd otherwise burn while idling at stoplights.

It was explained to me that a push of a button will defeat it (turn it off)......BUT ONLY temporarily until the next time I start the car to drive somewhere. Then I'd have to push it again to defeat the "auto stop-start" feature to defeat it for that ride.

Yeah, I don't like that approach. It should be a programmable custom function, set it once and forget it--just like we can set how long the headlights stay lit after engine cutoff. Similar situation for the "Brake Hold" feature, but in reverse--it's a nice feature, and I like using it, but to engage it I have to press the "Brake Hold" button each time I start the car. Seems to me it should be programmable to automatically engage it for me; why should I have to press two buttons ("Start" and "Brake Hold"), instead of one, each time I drive? The salesman said that would be a safety issue, but I still can't understand why. It just seems awkward.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by birdonamission View Post
The RDX manual says this on page 505: "If the rear camera lens is covered with dirt or moisture, activate the rearview camera washer* or use a soft, moist cloth to keep the lens clean and free of debris." [* Not available on all models]

Couldn't this address / mitigate this issue some?
That doesn't work for me -- my Tech model is not so equipped. If I take the "soft cloth" approach, each time it rains and I want to back up, I'd have to jump out, walk around and wipe water off the lens--that ain't gonna happen. Dirt or grit, yes--I can do that to wipe the lens off once a week, easily. And if it's raining (or there is a lot of dew), I can always just turn my head and look, the way we did it before we had backup cameras. But it is annoying, and I believe they could design it so rain would not be an issue.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ultramart View Post
With all due respect, may I ask your age? Serious question, without any wish to offend you.
68. Old-school. .
The Following User Says Thank You to robuckj For This Useful Post:
Rolf65 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

That doesn't work for me -- my Tech model is not so equipped. If I take the "soft cloth" approach, each time it rains and I want to back up, I'd have to jump out, walk around and wipe water off the lens--that ain't gonna happen. Dirt or grit, yes--I can do that to wipe the lens off once a week, easily. And if it's raining (or there is a lot of dew), I can always just turn my head and look, the way we did it before we had backup cameras. But it is annoying, and I believe they could design it so rain would not be an issue.
Ahh...got ya. (I know, right -- wiping the lens however many times on a rainy day...uh, no.)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mapleloaf View Post
Thanks for your comments. Just a thought, regarding navigation there's a lot you can do with voice, at least in my 40 minutes behind the wheel.
You are probably right, but I haven't tried that yet. Voice command for Nav on the 2013 was somewhere between useless and difficult, IMO, so I'll have to see if it has improved for 2019.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Madd Dog View Post
The original owner can order a printed manual for a Honda Accord....I would be very surprised if you canít do this for an Acura....
Thanks. I've just now looked at the Acura Owner's site, and found where you can order printed versions of manuals--it's a link on the same page where you would download them. Link goes to a 3rd party site, but they don't offer the 2019 manuals yet. Just FYI, the 2018 Owner's Manual costs $50, and the 2018 Nav Manual costs $40.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

I requested manual from Acura and got email today that it has been shipped. The website says you can order one copy for free per VIN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guytdt For This Useful Post:
RangersRule99 (06-13-2018), robuckj (06-15-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:24 AM
Summer is Coming

I have the same push button set up on my TLX. You will adapt, and I find it easier and faster than the stick. A few weeks ago I rented a car with a stick and I felt it was awkward. So I've completely converted. The Reverse button is a completely different feel and action than the Drive button. I never have to look down. When I take the car out of park I simply pull back on the Reverse button with my middle finger and hit the parking brake off with my thumb in one quick action. You'll get used to it. No problem. But it does take a few days so reviewers seldom have gotten used to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket_man For This Useful Post:
robuckj (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by birdonamission View Post
Ahh...got ya. (I know, right -- wiping the lens however many times on a rainy day...uh, no.)

Rain-X comes to mind. Maybe try that?
The Following User Says Thank You to Madd Dog For This Useful Post:
robuckj (06-15-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:53 AM
Hello World

68. Old-school. .
Ok thanks, that's for my statistical study. I'll file your review in the 'muscle cars generation' folder. :-)
Old 06-13-2018, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rocket_man View Post
...You will adapt, and I find it easier and faster than the stick....But it does take a few days so reviewers seldom have gotten used to it.
Thanks, that is what I am hoping!! Originally, I assumed CR was just being ďnew-technology resistant,Ē and your experience would confirm that.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Rain-X comes to mind. Maybe try that?

Thanks, thatís a really good thought. I use Rain-X wiper blades and their washer fluid, Iíll try wiping a little of that on the lensóif that doesnít help, Iíll try the original polymer from the little bottle.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ultramart View Post
Ok thanks, that's for my statistical study. I'll file your review in the 'muscle cars generation' folder. :-)
Ha! Have you studied the 0-to-60 times for the old ďmuscle carsĒ against those for the common car today? We would have killed to own a car below 8 seconds...most were above 10.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:22 AM
MTD
Registered Member

Another tip, if you open the door it goes into park automatically.
The Following User Says Thank You to MTD For This Useful Post:
robuckj (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

NO thanks......I wouldn't buy one of the new RDX's for at least a full model year has passed. Maybe a 2020 is in my future? But I want to thank all of you "beta-testers" who did or are planning to buy the 2019. Hopefully Acura will do some "re-designing" of their "re-design". Until then I just can't rationalize spending $45,000 on a vehicle that has a cumbersome shift system (check out "the CAR WASH MODE) and stops and starts everytime it comes to a stop unless I press a button each time I drive........how the heck do you parallel park if each time you stop to change from drive to reverse when the engine keeps starting and stopping?....what a PITA!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

NO thanks......I wouldn't buy one of the new RDX's for at least a full model year has passed. Maybe a 2020 is in my future? But I want to thank all of you "beta-testers" who did or are planning to buy the 2019. Hopefully Acura will do some "re-designing" of their "re-design". Until then I just can't rationalize spending $45,000 on a vehicle that has a cumbersome shift system (check out "the CAR WASH MODE) and stops and starts everytime it comes to a stop unless I press a button each time I drive........how the heck do you parallel park if each time you stop to change from drive to reverse when the engine keeps starting and stopping?....what a PITA!
I completely agree on the stop/start. What a lousy "feature". My friends new 530i has it. I drive it when we go to lunch and I always deactivate it as soon as I am behind the wheel. In the BMW putting the car in sport also deactivates stop/start. Not sure if that works in the RDX. I would be trying to recode the car to deactivate it if I had one.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Engine start/stop doesnít activate unless youíve exceeded a certain speed immediately prior to bringing a car to a halt. It wonít happen in a parallel parking situation.

Iíve had three TLXs; the push button shifter is quite brilliant. Youíll notice that Park requires you to push the button straight down, as if you want the car to stay put. Reverse requires you to pull the button back, as if you want the car to move backwards. Drive requires a push of the button forward, well, you get it Iím sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebringSilver For This Useful Post:
MTD (06-13-2018), robuckj (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SebringSilver View Post

Engine start/stop doesnít activate unless youíve exceeded a certain speed immediately prior to bringing a car to a halt. It wonít happen in a parallel parking situation.

Iíve had three TLXs; the push button shifter is quite brilliant. Youíll notice that Park requires you to push the button straight down, as if you want the car to stay put. Reverse requires you to pull the button back, as if you want the car to move backwards. Drive requires a push of the button forward, well, you get it Iím sure.
hey donít try to convince someone that obviously hasnít test driven it that itís not what they think it is. 😆

it almost like acura put thought into it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizzyg12 For This Useful Post:
robuckj (06-13-2018), SebringSilver (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SebringSilver View Post

You are absolutely right. All Honda/Acura vehicles with automatic idle stop requires the vehicle to have reached a certain speed (3 mph?) prior to coming to a complete stop. In my van brake hold (if enabled) engages first at a stop, and I need to step on the brake pedal harder for the engine to stop. With a little practice it is really not that hard to prevent an engine stop if so desired, by adjusting how hard to step on the brake pedal. Personally I neither love nor hate the auto start/stop feature. I like to use it along with brake hold when I come to a traffic light that just changed to red so I will be there for a while. It is occasionally annoying when I wait to merge into traffic on a right turn and steps on the brake pedal too hard, but it has never been a problem when it comes to parking.

As for the shifter, it has been around for a while. It took me about one day to get used to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Accord07 For This Useful Post:
robuckj (06-13-2018), SebringSilver (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I completely agree on the stop/start. What a lousy "feature". My friends new 530i has it. I drive it when we go to lunch and I always deactivate it as soon as I am behind the wheel. In the BMW putting the car in sport also deactivates stop/start. Not sure if that works in the RDX. I would be trying to recode the car to deactivate it if I had one.
Two ways to disable it: 1) press the Off button at the beginning of each drive; 2) press the D/S button twice at the beginning of each drive, it goes into "Sequential" mode which disables automatic idle stop, keeps the engine revving at higher rpm, and stays away from 9th and 10 gears.

While I neither love nor hate it, and would prefer auto idle stop can be turned off permanently in the settings, I am amused by how passionate people get about not wanting to press a button every time. My riding lawn mower has a "safety" feature that requires the operator to press a button when the mower blades are engaged before driving the mower in reverse, there is supposedly a way to short two pins with a jumper to disable it, but after a couple of hours on the thing the maneuver became muscle memory so I never bothered with the modification.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Your lawn mower does that as a "safety" measure......this start/stop feature is NOT about safety but a way for the manufacturer to statistically lower the federal MPG statistics. That's wonderful for those owners who care about that. BUT, all I want is the ability to choose to turn off the stop/start feature PERMANENTLY. It should be up to the owner to decide if they want to save a few pennies of fuel or not. It shouldn't be the owners responsibility to learn how to brake in a certain way so as to "defeat" the system. IF you really are concerned about saving a few drops of fuel (claimed maximum of 10%) then perhaps this $40M vehicle is too much for you?.....again, all I want is the ability to operate my car PERMANENTLY as I wish. Not trying to be a PITA just think the system should be totally optional and up to the owner.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Your lawn mower does that as a "safety" measure......this start/stop feature is NOT about safety but a way for the manufacturer to statistically lower the federal MPG statistics. That's wonderful for those owners who care about that. BUT, all I want is the ability to choose to turn off the stop/start feature PERMANENTLY. It should be up to the owner to decide if they want to save a few pennies of fuel or not. It shouldn't be the owners responsibility to learn how to brake in a certain way so as to "defeat" the system. IF you really are concerned about saving a few drops of fuel (claimed maximum of 10%) then perhaps this $40M vehicle is too much for you?.....again, all I want is the ability to operate my car PERMANENTLY as I wish. Not trying to be a PITA just think the system should be totally optional and up to the owner.

If it were, and therefore Acura loses whatever fuel economy it gains, then something else will be changed.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

If it were, and therefore Acura loses whatever fuel economy it gains, then something else will be changed.
Yeah, as small as the difference may be, they probably have to keep it on as the default just so they can claim the fuel economy.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

I think he saying that it should remain standard, but owners given the ability to disable it. That would still allow Acura to maintain the same fuel economy numbers.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Oh, since you are so obsessed with "performance" of your $40-million "sports car" and cannot care less about fuel efficiency, you shouldn't be putting the shift selector in "D" to begin with - it MUST be in "S" at all times, which turns off AIS, keeps the engine rev'ed higher, and would only use gears 1 thru 8 automatically. The next thing you are going to complain about is why you have to press the D/S button twice to go into S? Well, once upon a time to be an "enthusiast" one had to handle a stick shift. That would have been too much work for you, apparently.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 19RDX View Post
I think he saying that it should remain standard, but owners given the ability to disable it. That would still allow Acura to maintain the same fuel economy numbers.
For Acura to be able to legally claim the fuel numbers associated with auto stop/start, the auto stop/start feature has to be active by default whenever the car is started.
The Following User Says Thank You to MHarnois For This Useful Post:
19RDX (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 19RDX View Post
...but owners given the ability to disable it. That would still allow Acura to maintain the same fuel economy numbers.
In the real world yes, but not in the eyes of the EPA. There's a CAFE penalty to be paid for having the ability to turn off S/S and a credit for having it on all the time. Just be happy that it's been implemented with the ability to turn it off, even if it has to be done every time you start up.
The Following User Says Thank You to MI-RDX For This Useful Post:
19RDX (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

"Well, if I have to push a button every time I start the car, I say the hell with it."
Old 06-13-2018, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

I use Rain-X wiper blades and their washer fluid, Iíll try wiping a little of that on the lensóif that doesnít help, Iíll try the original polymer from the little bottle.
Does the RDX have a washer fluid level sensor? If it does, I recommend you avoid Rain-X and other water-repelling products containing silicone. It can damage the sensors.
The Following User Says Thank You to HotRodW For This Useful Post:
robuckj (06-16-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

Accord07........I love stick shift cars. I own a 6 speed manual Porsche Boxster.
Having said that, the idea of a start/stop system isn't for me. I can just imagine trying to parallel park where one has to move back and forth to maneuver into the spot and each time coming to a full stop each time....does that mean the engine will stop and start each time I move back and forth?.........IF so, a total PITA. I really wanted to like this SUV but spending years pressing a defeat button each time I drive is something I'd get tired of fast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brief Reactions from a New Owner

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.