break-in period and procedure

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
break-in period and procedure

I looked for information about the break-in period in the concise, printed manual that was provided with the car but there was none that I could find (doesn't mean it isn't there, though). I also didn't get any break-in instruction from the dealer during delivery.

The pdf manual at:
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...BTJB1818OM.PDF
has only the following info for break-in:
Break-in Period
Avoid towing a trailer during your vehicle’s first 600 miles (1,000 km).
But hidden under Precautions While Driving on page 416, we have:
During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as not to damage the engine or powertrain.
Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). You should also follow this when the brake pads are replaced.
Thought this may be useful for folks.

I got the car with 9 miles on the odometer and I'm still only at around 250 miles.

Last edited by anoop; 10-19-2018 at 12:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 04:22 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Thanks Anoop!
Old 10-19-2018, 06:39 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
If you RDX had 9 miles on it when you first test drove it, I'll bet someone else already tested the "full throttle operation" of it. That is encouraged on all test drives I've been on lately. The dealers even have a test track they share by me, which allows for hard braking and cornering maneuvers.

The only thing I worry about during the first 1k miles is the brakes. These things are made to much tighter tolerances these days, which makes the break-in less important.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
yes, that happens with me too. Sales rep encouraged me during my test drive using sports+ mode. Even he did the same...
Old 10-19-2018, 08:07 AM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
My sales rep encouraged me to use Sport+ as well. I did him one better and drove over to the twistiest section of nearby roads. I told him to hold on before I really went for it. The look on his face was priceless and once the blood came back, he was real quiet for awhile. Finally he complemented me on my skill and said that no one has ever done that on his test drives. I told him it's all in the RDX, but was glad to demonstrate it's capability anytime.
The following users liked this post:
vchen441 (03-21-2023)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:48 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
If you RDX had 9 miles on it when you first test drove it, I'll bet someone else already tested the "full throttle operation" of it. That is encouraged on all test drives I've been on lately. The dealers even have a test track they share by me, which allows for hard braking and cornering maneuvers.

The only thing I worry about during the first 1k miles is the brakes. These things are made to much tighter tolerances these days, which makes the break-in less important.
If you really wanted a car which was untested by customers, then you should order it rather than buy from a lot.
When I bought mine several years ago, there were two identical RDXs on the dealer lot, one which was clean, shiny with a lot of dealer added options and placed inside the showroom and everyone including me test drove that one. But I bought the other one which was dusty, kept in the corner of the lot and the keys were missing and therefore no one could test drive it. When I finally bought it (after another test drive) it had 3 miles on the Odo. . The dealership eventually provided me new keys anyway.

Last edited by Comfy; 10-19-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Agree @Comfy . I would do the same. I don't mind few miles on new car but test drive is test drive. People including sales rep do use it to full extent to show case the car which is exactly opposite to what Acura suggest in manual for break-in period.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:27 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Can anyone point to an actual failure attributed to "spirited" driving during the break-in period?

I think a lot of our convention is informed by myth and legacy information from a time when machining wasn't as precise and lubricants wern't as good.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:51 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by p07r0457
Can anyone point to an actual failure attributed to "spirited" driving during the break-in period?

I think a lot of our convention is informed by myth and legacy information from a time when machining wasn't as precise and lubricants wern't as good.
You have a point, but we talking about longevity of the components, not outright failure. Also it is very difficult to prove that failure occurred due to poor procedures followed during break in period. If breaking in was not at all required in newer engines, why do the manufacturers recommend it on the manual? There has to be a valid reason, isn’t it? I presume Teslas do not require it.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
You have a point, but we talking about longevity of the components, not outright failure. Also it is very difficult to prove that failure occurred due to poor procedures followed during break in period. If breaking in was not at all required in newer engines, why do the manufacturers recommend it on the manual? There has to be a valid reason, isn’t it? I presume Teslas do not require it.
Manuals are written by writers -- not engineers. Most manuals are not written from scratch, either; they take another manual and copy/paste/edit it. Legacy information and "myth" persists, in this way.

I think we can all agree that the (minimal) break-in information that is included in current manuals is much less stringent and less-specific than what manufactures dictated years ago. So the trend is certainly towards less special handling required during break-in.

The number of buyers who get their vehicle fresh off the transport truck are almost nil. If you're vehicle had any test drive miles on it, chances are it was driving in a "spirited" manner -- whether by a dealership employee or another customer.

It is anecdotal, but many (most?) manufactures have a test track at their production facilities. Some manufacturers will take "sample" vehicles and put them through extended tests before releasing them for shipment. The point here is that they drive them like they stole them for ~50 miles, and still sell them to consumers. I believe Honda/Acura has a dyno/rolling-road as part of their production line where EVERY vehicle does 2-3 miles, with a bit of WOT, as well, before they can be released for transport.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by p07r0457
Manuals are written by writers -- not engineers. Most manuals are not written from scratch, either; they take another manual and copy/paste/edit it. Legacy information and "myth" persists, in this way.

I think we can all agree that the (minimal) break-in information that is included in current manuals is much less stringent and less-specific than what manufactures dictated years ago. So the trend is certainly towards less special handling required during break-in.

The number of buyers who get their vehicle fresh off the transport truck are almost nil. If you're vehicle had any test drive miles on it, chances are it was driving in a "spirited" manner -- whether by a dealership employee or another customer.

It is anecdotal, but many (most?) manufactures have a test track at their production facilities. Some manufacturers will take "sample" vehicles and put them through extended tests before releasing them for shipment. The point here is that they drive them like they stole them for ~50 miles, and still sell them to consumers. I believe Honda/Acura has a dyno/rolling-road as part of their production line where EVERY vehicle does 2-3 miles, with a bit of WOT, as well, before they can be released for transport.
I guess that sounds reasonable to me. So we can largely ignore the break in procedures now. This is going to be a moot point in near future anyway since manufacturers are slowly but surely shifting towards electric power trains.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
I put a deposit on the car 2 weeks before it arrived at the dealer and I was told they put a sold sign as soon as it came in and I picked it up the same day. I think a one-off WOT is probably not a big deal. Mashing the throttle daily is what they are trying to get folks to avoid during the first 600 miles. Same with brakes during the first 200 miles.

According to some dealer websites, the only Acura that comes fully broken-in is the NSX.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Mine had 9 miles on the odometer when I picked it up. My dealer said they normally put 4-5 miles on all new vehicles before releasing to the customer so it looks like the factory/shipping company did about the same. I probably wouldn't want a vehicle with just 1 mile on it, would indicate to mi it hadn't been checked out at all. My last 2 vehicles were both dealer trades and I got them with between 400-500 miles so this one is for me brand spanking new.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
I guess the deer that jumped out in front of me the first weekend I had mine didn’t get the memo about no sudden stops... <sarcasm>
Old 10-22-2018, 08:09 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Mototune break in procedure This is what I use for break in process. Never a problem with any of my vehicles and they all ran strong upwards to 200+ thousand miles.