Notices

brake squealing

Old 01-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Changing the pads and rotors is not going to work. Talked with my service manager and service tech today while having my first A1 Service done. I was told that he could order replacement pads and rotors but that would not solve the problem and it would just be a temporary band aid. Also he says Acura is aware of the problem and they are in the process of coming up with a fix. As for a date he had no information. Me I'm just gonna wait for the fix they come up with then go from there. Hell yes its annoying but it only lasts for about 10 to 15 minutes then it goes away.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My A-spec has been parked outside overnight in 20 degree weather for days and have NEVER had any brake noise at all.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Really?? Only on the cold days here in Va is when I get the squeal. When its warm no squeal and when after the brakes get warmed up no squeal. Lucky you.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2019 a spec. I noticed a lot of brake squealing when it is cold out. It is so god awful loud. I also was driving home one night when it sounded like I was dragging something aluminum along with me. The dust plate was rubbing on my rotors. That was something else. I thought ok that must have been a fluke. Nope happened again this weekend. I couldn't believe it. Will be calling the dealership. I wonder if the dust plate has something to do with the squealing The squealing brakes don't just squeal a little, its loud, annoying, and quite frankly embarrassing.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just want to share that I ordered new front brake pads for my RDX A-Spec to get rid of the squealing brakes in cold temps. Ordered from Rockauto, received them a week ago. I ordered Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic brake pads ($65 CDN shipped)
I wanted to do that for a long time but the RDX being a new model, nobody had aftermarket brake pads available until I found them at Rockauto. Acura Canada is still just waiting to resolve the problem......
I installed them and for a week now, no more noise! Absolutely quiet! And it's like really cold -20 degrees here in Montreal! Very happy about that, problem solved
The following users liked this post:
Audi2Acura (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey

Not sure if you saw my question to you in the other "brake squeal" thread (they should prob be combined by the mods). Thanks for the update. Good to know. I haven't had a chance to get the Centrics on yet due to the weather. Don't have room in the one car garage. Quick question. Did you use the pinch welds as the jack points? There is some composite covering on either side of the welds and I wanted to make sure the jack stands would be good to go, pushing up on either side of that weld. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2019, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandi Nagy View Post
I have a 2019 a spec. I noticed a lot of brake squealing when it is cold out. It is so god awful loud. I also was driving home one night when it sounded like I was dragging something aluminum along with me. The dust plate was rubbing on my rotors. That was something else. I thought ok that must have been a fluke. Nope happened again this weekend. I couldn't believe it. Will be calling the dealership. I wonder if the dust plate has something to do with the squealing The squealing brakes don't just squeal a little, its loud, annoying, and quite frankly embarrassing.
Exact same thing here, I will bring up during my first service, which should be soon. Along with the annoying rattle by my passenger seat belt thingy in the pillar, as well as the annoying rattle coming from the back, could be the plastic under the cargo area, it's annoying as hell.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Marty790 View Post
Just want to share that I ordered new front brake pads for my RDX A-Spec to get rid of the squealing brakes in cold temps. Ordered from Rockauto, received them a week ago. I ordered Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic brake pads ($65 CDN shipped)
I wanted to do that for a long time but the RDX being a new model, nobody had aftermarket brake pads available until I found them at Rockauto. Acura Canada is still just waiting to resolve the problem......
I installed them and for a week now, no more noise! Absolutely quiet! And it's like really cold -20 degrees here in Montreal! Very happy about that, problem solved
It really is amazing to me that Acura either can't figure out new brake pads or simply doesn't care enough to provide this simple fix to buyers.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Audi2Acura View Post
Hey

Not sure if you saw my question to you in the other "brake squeal" thread (they should prob be combined by the mods). Thanks for the update. Good to know. I haven't had a chance to get the Centrics on yet due to the weather. Don't have room in the one car garage. Quick question. Did you use the pinch welds as the jack points? There is some composite covering on either side of the welds and I wanted to make sure the jack stands would be good to go, pushing up on either side of that weld. Thanks!
i'm not sure what the pinch welds are....... but there is some place under the rocker panels where we are supposed to put the jack to lift the car, that's where I put my jack and everything is fine doing that!
Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Received 249 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil Onyschuk View Post
Exact same thing here, I will bring up during my first service, which should be soon. Along with the annoying rattle by my passenger seat belt thingy in the pillar, as well as the annoying rattle coming from the back, could be the plastic under the cargo area, it's annoying as hell.
Assuming the spare tire is snugged up, the rattle from the back could be from the the plastic cargo cubby liner. I've had several Pilots and in each of them I pulled that darn thing out to install some kind of rubber sheet under it. It's a bit better isolated in our MDXs.

Also, make sure you have sufficient crap stashed in the cubby. With this arctic blast, maybe consider a blanket or two!

When I installed the hitch and wiring harness, I noticed some felt padding under the various plastic cubbys where they contact the vehicle, including the side "milk jug" cubby. From verbiage in Acura's vehicle specs, that my be unique to the Advance trim. That's something to think about adding to other trims.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Break issue

Originally Posted by nyr726 View Post
I've read a lot of threads on the 2019 RDX brake squealing in cold and wet weather I'm curious as to why nobody finds this as annoying as I do in a brand new high end vehicle is it the fact that the people saying dont worry about it live in a warmer climate to me it has become so bad that I'm questioning whether I made the right move buying this vehicle I always said Acura was the best running car I ever had until now I've tried to get the problem fixed and the dealership claimed there is no fix for it that it's under investigation which I'm sorry there's always a way to fix something anyone else having a concern on this topic please respond ive gone as far as contacting customer relations and still not getting anywhere with that
have rdx 19 2 weeks old had entertainment issue (note an update is now available for that issue) dealer did that. The brake issue is also now known but they have no eta on resolution. Dealer said they have replaced on cars full breaks and same issue. They are waiting on Acura
Old 02-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I too had my front rotors and pads replaced but new ones also squeal. My dealer has mentioned it on the invoice that acura is aware of the squealing issue and is working on a fix. The cause they say is probably the new anc rotors with coating.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Itís not the rotors. My aftermarket pads (Centric Posi-Quiets) are smoother and dead silent. Itís the crappy OEM Honda pads and whatever composite materials were utilized in their manufacture. Honda/Acura doesnít want to take it in the shorts by having to toss warehouses full of pads so they are postponing doing anything, hoping too many people donít complain. They are looking at the numbers before they eventually do something, if anything at all!!! The small cost to me was absolutely worth it. The alternative was to continue listening to the squeal everyday for who knows how long...Nope.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:36 PM

break squeal began at about 1500 miles. Dealer replaced pads and rotors. Six weeks later the squeal was back. Client relations said there is no current fix but their engineers are working on it. Dealer will not do anything as they are waiting for the "fix" to be communicated. The brake noise, which sounds similar to the alert when you put the car in reverse, continues. Cold weather, warm weather, it doesn't matter. Usually occurs when stopping on a decline. Does it affect stopping distance?
Old 03-08-2019, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts
Donít feel too bad, going through Facebook comments for the new Audi Q5, lots of Audi customers are also complaining of having brake squeal

(in a cartman voice) oh I thought other brands didnít have that issue and Acura was the only imperfect brand 😂😂😂 (sarcasm)

Also mine has gotten much worse now that Iím at 7400 miles, the squeal almost all the time now

Last edited by Dereileak; 03-08-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Audi2Acura View Post
Itís not the rotors. My aftermarket pads (Centric Posi-Quiets) are smoother and dead silent. Itís the crappy OEM Honda pads and whatever composite materials were utilized in their manufacture. Honda/Acura doesnít want to take it in the shorts by having to toss warehouses full of pads so they are postponing doing anything, hoping too many people donít complain. They are looking at the numbers before they eventually do something, if anything at all!!! The small cost to me was absolutely worth it. The alternative was to continue listening to the squeal everyday for who knows how long...Nope.
do you notice a firmer brake feel with the new pads?
Old 06-04-2019, 05:20 PM

Same problem

I have same problem with u , i have 2019 rdx bought on 2018 july and i hear brake noises until now the squealing noise is gone turn to different strange noise when u drive up 40 miles
Old 06-09-2019, 08:06 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
The issue of brakes squealing is normal in modern cars, unfortunately. Here's a Popular Mechanics article explaining why:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...queaky-brakes/

I always have squealing of my brakes first thing in the morning until the car warms up. The cause is a thin coat of rust from moisture overnight. As soon as it is ground off from your first few stops, the sound should stop. Obviously, this is different from prolonged and constant brake squealing.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne View Post
The issue of brakes squealing is normal in modern cars, unfortunately. Here's a Popular Mechanics article explaining why:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...queaky-brakes/

I always have squealing of my brakes first thing in the morning until the car warms up. The cause is a thin coat of rust from moisture overnight. As soon as it is ground off from your first few stops, the sound should stop. Obviously, this is different from prolonged and constant brake squealing.
Yes...that is normal and everyone knows that. The issues that folks are complaining about is the constant squealing well AFTER this has occurred.