AutoStartStop turns on engine when you shift to park.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
AutoStartStop turns on engine when you shift to park.

I'm not sure about you, but I get annoyed that AutoStartStop turns on the engine again when I shift to park. This happens a lot when I pull into my garage and stop. At this point ASS turns off the engine. However, when I shift to park (or turn on the electronic parking brake), ASS turns on the engine again when I'm about to turn off the car.

So far, the only work around I found is... Instead of shifting to park or turning on the electronic parking brakes, just turn off the car. The safety features will automatically shift the car to park. And the electronic parking brakes will engage if you programmed it to. (There is a section on how to auto engage the electronic parking brakes in the manual.)

Old 07-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I found this odd the first time it happened, too. But as you state, with the electronic transmission, there is no need to put the car in park, I now just hit stop.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:23 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
You could also ease off on the brake just a bit, which will keep the engine running, i.e. it needs a harder brake press to auto stop. This all depends on the surface you stop on of course.....sometimes you need a bit more brake to hold things stopped.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, regarding the brake pedal pressure, i noticed that too. I find it easy to prevent the ASS from turn off the engine on a very slight incline. However, if you have a slight decline, it's a different story. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for my garage.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:28 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
lol interesting to know I'm not alone in thinking this is a bit annoying.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:51 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Like Auto Start/Stop??

I take it that those on this thread like the ASS feature?? It appears so. Personally, I don't like them, and I don't have to put up with any of your issues....I just turn the system off each time I start it up. It's certainly not going to
give us much in better gas mileage to be worth the "issues." I already get over 22 mpg in city only driving...which is good enough for me. The system is tries to be a "selling point" for the many vehicles that have them, and they
can tell the Feds..."hey look what we are using on our vehicles." And to get that system to be put on a vehicle, so much "tech had to be developed"......a special starter, a different battery, etc, etc. We pay for all that in the price
of the vehicle. Not nearly enough fuel mileage savings to be worth all that cost and trouble that comes with it.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:41 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I take it that those on this thread like the ASS feature?? It appears so. Personally, I don't like them, and I don't have to put up with any of your issues....I just turn the system off each time I start it up. It's certainly not going to
give us much in better gas mileage to be worth the "issues." I already get over 22 mpg in city only driving...which is good enough for me. The system is tries to be a "selling point" for the many vehicles that have them, and they
can tell the Feds..."hey look what we are using on our vehicles." And to get that system to be put on a vehicle, so much "tech had to be developed"......a special starter, a different battery, etc, etc. We pay for all that in the price
of the vehicle. Not nearly enough fuel mileage savings to be worth all that cost and trouble that comes with it.
We drove a MB C300 as a loaner that had this feature and am still on the fence about this feature.

So if it's blazing hot and you're on a stop and go traffic...how does it keep up with the demand of the A/C and all the other gizmos that need the juice from the battery?
Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by knhellesky
We drove a MB C300 as a loaner that had this feature and am still on the fence about this feature.

So if it's blazing hot and you're on a stop and go traffic...how does it keep up with the demand of the A/C and all the other gizmos that need the juice from the battery?

The logic is supposed to NOT stop the engine under various conditions such as outside temp, AC load, high electrical load, low state of battery charge, incline, etc. There's a list somewhere in the owners manual I believe
Old 07-31-2018, 08:15 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ednigma
The logic is supposed to NOT stop the engine under various conditions such as outside temp, AC load, high electrical load, low state of battery charge, incline, etc. There's a list somewhere in the owners manual I believe
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
The system is engineered to operate smoothly and seamlessly. When stopped, a special cold storage evaporator in the air conditioning system helps maintain a comfortable cabin temperature even in warm weather.

■ Auto Idle Stop does not activate when:
• The Auto Idle Stop OFF button is pressed.
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The engine coolant temperature is low or high.
• The transmission fluid temperature is low or high.
• The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 3 mph (5
km/h) after the engine starts.
• Stopped on a steep incline.
• The transmission is in a position other than (D.
• The engine is started with the hood open.
u Turn off the engine. Close the hood before you restart the engine to activate
Auto Idle Stop.
• The battery charge is low.
• The internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (−10°C). or less.
• The climate control system is in use, and the outside temperature is below −4°F
(−20°C) or over 104°F (40°C).
• The climate control system is in use, and the temperature is set to the Hi or Lo.
• is ON (indicator on).
• The dynamic mode is changed to Snow or Sport+ mode.

Last edited by MarineOne; 07-31-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I would debate the "smooth and seamless" part. It lets out a noticeable lurch when it restarts. Not shaking the rivets loose or anything, but it definitely gives a little kick.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Is there something special about the evaporator other than the carryover energy transfer that happens after you turn off any car and let the fan run over the mass of the cold metal?

Hmm, also reading the list of exceptions to AIS. My hood latch sensor may need to be left “open” — any dummy light on the dash show up if say you forget to close the hood? If not...
Old 07-31-2018, 10:30 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
This drove me nuts when I first got the car. I would park in the garage, go to get out of the car and it appeared to be on after I turned it off! I could not figure out what was happening. Took a bit but now I am used to it, but it worries me when I think about someone else driving the car. Like a wife, a valet parker, parking garage dude. You could walk away from the car with it on (if you don't try and lock it)

Very strange beasts these RDX's!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:17 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
I haven’t noticed this. I’ll oay more attention tomorrow. I know my driveway is sloped and my garage as well so it’s not likely to do it at home. I have mastered the art of finessing the system on the roads. But honestly when in bumper to bumper traffic on a long commute home I will turn it off. Otherwise it’s fine. Long lights on delaware make me appreciate the ASS.