Automatic Power Liftgate Opener / Closer and Folding Side Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:46 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Automatic Power Liftgate Opener / Closer and Folding Side Mirrors

So, any word (rumor or otherwise) whether the '19 has added the option to open and close the liftgate other than by pressing on the key fob or the physical button on the gate itself? I've seen other implementations of this technology, like waving your foot below the rear bumper and such.

I also would love to see power folding side mirrors. I know when I bought my '17 Advance it was not an option in the U.S. but was on the Canadian version (what gives??). Any word on this for the '19?
Old 04-17-2018, 10:42 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Since you can get it on the 2018 CR-V Touring trim, I fully expect to get it on the RDX. Whether it is only on the top trim or not would be my only question.
The following users liked this post:
RDL1 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Since you can get it on the 2018 CR-V Touring trim, I fully expect to get it on the RDX. Whether it is only on the top trim or not would be my only question.
Sweet... Thanks!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Drifting

"It" being the auto tailgate.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Pro

"It" being the auto tailgate.
Right... I went to the Honda website after I read you post and noticed that. I'm still holding out hope that the power folding mirrors will be available.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
I'm gonna need that. Don't know how many times I've came within a coat of paint of dinging the mirrors on the garage door frame.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Drifting

I always pop the fold the mirrors button when I pull into the garage. Outside of the garage, I rarely use it.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:08 AM
Pro

I always pop the fold the mirrors button when I pull into the garage. Outside of the garage, I rarely use it.
You have power folding side mirrors? (RDX?)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Drifting

No. BMW 535.
birdonamission (04-22-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I have them on my 2.4 TLX Tech. I would think it will be at least a feature on the Tech or Advance (Elite) package.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I have them on my 2.4 TLX Tech. I would think it will be at least a feature on the Tech or Advance (Elite) package.
Yeah, I noticed you live in Canada. When I bought my '17 I knew the power folding side view mirrors were available in the Elite for you guys, but there was no way to get the it in the U.S. as it wasn't offered at all in the Advance...sigh. Couldn't figure out why in the world not. Hopefully it will be available down here this time.
RDL1 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by birdonamission
Yeah, I noticed you live in Canada. When I bought my '17 I knew the power folding side view mirrors were available in the Elite for you guys, but there was no way to get the it in the U.S. as it wasn't offered at all in the Advance...sigh. Couldn't figure out why in the world not. Hopefully it will be available down here this time.
I expect they will be. My friend has them on his Kia Optima, and they close automatically when he locks his door.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:03 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm hoping to see power folding mirrors and memory seats on the new RDX. In looking at the current RDX, it looks like it doesn't have memory seats? Both features are on the current MDX.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by DWG
I'm hoping to see power folding mirrors and memory seats on the new RDX. In looking at the current RDX, it looks like it doesn't have memory seats? Both features are on the current MDX.
Our 16 Advance has two position memory seats.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:32 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
So, any word (rumor or otherwise) whether the '19 has added the option to open and close the liftgate other than by pressing on the key fob or the physical button on the gate itself? I've seen other implementations of this technology, like waving your foot below the rear bumper and such.
I have a 2016 RDX and almost never use the power button to close the liftgate. I just close it manually by pulling down from the slot provided for manual and the liftgate comes down and closes very easily. One can also override the opening of the liftgate by touching and holding the power button on the liftgate and holding it. It will go "long beep.. then two short beeps" and just pull up and the hydraulics will lift it open no problem without draining power. Don't get me wrong, having a power liftgate is a nice convenience at times but for me not a big deal to open or close manually.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DWG
Here's a pic of the current RDX from the gallery...

https://www.acura.com/-/media/Acura-...ped-int-XL.jpg
Old 04-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Drifting

All that remains to be seen is which things are on all trims, and which are only on some trims.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:33 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
Here's a pic of the current RDX from the gallery...

https://www.acura.com/-/media/Acura-...ped-int-XL.jpg
Thanks, happy to see the memory seats I looked at the RDX specs and did not see memory seats.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:25 PM
Instructor

From what I've seen stated by Acura in various interviews for the different packages.

Note: Not a complete list

Base:
Pano roof
Safety features

Tech:
Navigation
Parking sensors
Upgraded leather
ELS Audio

Aspec:
Tech features
Appearance changes
Ventilated seats
Fog lights
Larger wheels
Different settings for springs / dampers

Advance:
Everything from above except for Aspec specific styling
Wood trim
Leather piping
Surround view camera
Heating package (steering wheel / rear seats)
Adaptive dampers - Not sure if this is specific to the Advance or Aspec or both

I'm sure there are loads of other features that were not specifically mentioned that fit in somewhere like the 16 way power seats, HUD, etc. I would expect the HUD to be on the Advance.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrJames:
Madd Dog (04-30-2018), TxLady (05-05-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 10:51 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Question Opening of liftgate

I also would love to see power folding side mirrors. I know when I bought my '17 Advance it was not an option in the U.S. but was on the Canadian version (what gives??). Any word on this for the '19?
My dealer got an update on the tailgate....seems it will have the "no need for the fob or push a button" system that will cause it to open. Guessing it's like others....wave the foot?
Power mirrors....I'm doubting that one.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:54 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Electric liftgate was standard on all models of RDX at least 2016 - 2018 models and the power folding door mirrors were standard on the Tech model. Although I have not used the folding mirrors often, when I did need them like in tight parking spots I was glad to have them.

When I was at the dealership last week trading my 2016 RDX with only 26,000 km on it for a 2018 RDX Tech (Diamond Pearl White/ parchment) the salesman was telling me that the vinyl seats that come standard in the base or Premium model will also be standard in the 2019 Tech RDX. So I guess if one really needs to have the leather seating they will have to move up to the "Elite" model - at least in the Canadian version.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Next up, I want the two position memory to adjust the side mirrors, and the steering wheel, if electricity positioned, in addition to seat settings. Better yet, have each key have its own two positions for the seat/mirrors/wheel memory.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:43 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I would like the RDX to go one step further and have the auto folding mirrors that automatically fold when you lock the car like my friends KIA Sportage (and its not the top end). Also, in 2017 when I bought my Elite RDX it had auto folding mirrors but not the Tech. I had a 2018 Tech loaner and it had power folding mirrors as well. I like the folding mirrors for the garage and when I park the car so some moron does not damage it.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The current Canadian version of the RDX has power folding mirrors on the Technology & Elite models.

Seems like common sense to put it in the U.S. version of the 2019 RDX.

2018 Acura RDX Price, Trims, Options, Specs, Photos, Reviews | autoTRADER.ca
Old 05-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
My 2012 MDX Elite has power folding mirrors. I would be absolutely shocked if the 2019 do not have it on the higher trims
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Advanced

I'm having trouble coming up with something the 2019 RDX is missing. I feel like Acura nailed exactly what most people want this type of vehicle to be.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:34 AM
GTF
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Has it been confirmed that heated steering wheel will be included in any configuration?
Old 05-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Question Heated steering wheel?

Originally Posted by GTF
Has it been confirmed that heated steering wheel will be included in any configuration?
The Acura Press Release that I printed on Mar. 28th gave a lot of info on the new RDX. But, neither there or anywhere else have I read anything about having a heated steering wheel. Maybe in Canadian models???
Maybe I'll find out after my Acura dealer friend and contact goes to Chicago on May 20th to review and drive the new RDX. I will ask him prior to going to put that question on his "list of questions."
GTF (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 19RDX
I'm having trouble coming up with something the 2019 RDX is missing. I feel like Acura nailed exactly what most people want this type of vehicle to be.
Transferance of Android Auto/Car Play navigation info to the HUD.

IIRC, the Accord Touring does transfer AA nav to the HUD, but not Car Play.

what the heck, why not ask for everything?
Old 05-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
HUD with AA/CarPlay

Photos of the HUD in the 2019 RDX show transference of AA/CP into the HUD. I'm actually really excited about this as this is not a common feature that I have seen in other HUDs.

Transferance of Android Auto/Car Play navigation info to the HUD.

IIRC, the Accord Touring does transfer AA nav to the HUD, but not Car Play.

what the heck, why not ask for everything?
Old 05-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Drifting

How about making these babies standard?

19RDX (05-05-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:49 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thumbs down Push button shifter...NOT necessary!

For me....it's missing a PROPER shifter...like it's had for many yrs. I never have to look at my shifter in my '17 RDX. And I don't have to know what to do when going through a car wash as the new push button trans do!! They are
terrible.

I challenge anyone to drive down an abandoned street at about 30 mph....brake the car down and do a 3 point turn with a "normal shifter".....and then with a push button shifter! I guarantee you the "normal shifter" will win on how
quickly that can be done.

What this teaches us is this; The push button trans are learnable without looking, but, NOT near as easy to count on as with a normal shifter arm. It's just the way it is. Many don't like the push button systems,
and I've read many car testers and auto mag writers talking about ALL the manufacturers that have them and how they are NOT intuitive and just not necessary. Other than it gave some engineer something to do and helped them keep
their job.

Reinventing the wheel is not necessary here. You can change the height, the angle, the thickness, etc, of a shifter arm if you need to....but, to replace with electronic push buttons is just plain idiotic. IMHO....and apparently
many others too!!!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 05-04-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:02 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
For me....it's missing a PROPER shifter...like it's had for many yrs. I never have to look at my shifter in my '17 RDX. And I don't have to know what to do when going through a car wash as the new push button trans do!! They are
terrible.

I challenge anyone to drive down an abandoned street at about 30 mph....brake the car down and do a 3 point turn with a "normal shifter".....and then with a push button shifter! I guarantee you the "normal shifter" will win on how

What this teaches us is this; The push button trans are learnable without looking, but, NOT near as easy to count on as with a normal shifter arm. It's just the way it is. Many don't like the push button systems,
and I've read many car testers and auto mag writers talking about ALL the manufacturers that have them and how they are NOT intuitive and just not necessary. Other than it gave some engineer something to do and helped them keep
their job.

Reinventing the wheel is not necessary here. You can change the height, the angle, the thickness, etc, of a shifter arm if you need to....but, to replace with electronic push buttons is just plain idiotic. IMHO....and apparently
many others too!!!
My thoughts exactly, thank you.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-06-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
terrible.

their job.

many others too!!!
Disclaimer: I have never driven a car with push buttons transmission... yet. :-)

I can see some advantages to push buttons. They can include safety systems for example select P automatically if you unbuckle the seat belt and open the door. Am I the only one to almost leave the car on D once in a while? LOL
There are also drawbacks with automated security systems, i.e. when you don't want them to do something. Advantages vs disadvantages...

There are dozens of people working on those projects. There is a design process (R&D, prototyping, manufacturing, validating, testing, ...) involving specialists in ergonomics, usability, testing. Really I believe this is a better version of something which already exist.

To make a fair comparison between the two systems, we should have equally experienced drivers on each system. i.e. one who have been driving for 2 years (total), only with push buttons and the other who have been driving also for 2 years but only with a shift lever.
For the discussion, let's assume in those conditions the shift lever is 2-3 seconds faster in an emergency situation (get away from bad guys like in movies). Is that a factor sufficient to not ditch all the advantages?
I would also like to know the thoughts of a person who only knew a car with push buttons who tries one with a shift lever.

Someone who has been driving for decades with a shift lever will understandably miss the shift lever. I will probably miss it too at first. Or maybe forever, we'll see.

In the future and with some experience, I'm confident push buttons will be better overall. And the systems will improve. MT vs AT is a good analogy. We all know MT are more fun to drive, you can slip the clutch, change gear when YOU decide. But the reality is that even they have the choice, the vast majority will buy the AT. Because they offer more advantages than disadvantages.

It's just my opinion, I may be completely wrong and I know it. LOL
Old 05-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Advanced

terrible.

their job.

many others too!!!
I totally get that. I'm a PC guy and this seems like the Apple-ization of cars (form over function).

However, if NSX owners can deal with it then I suppose I can as well.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
The Acura Press Release that I printed on Mar. 28th gave a lot of info on the new RDX. But, neither there or anywhere else have I read anything about having a heated steering wheel. Maybe in Canadian models???
Maybe I'll find out after my Acura dealer friend and contact goes to Chicago on May 20th to review and drive the new RDX. I will ask him prior to going to put that question on his "list of questions."
found this on what I think is a reliable website “Outfitted with perforated leather, a panoramic sunroof, heated and cooled front seats, and heated back seats, a head-up display, a heated steering wheel and ELS Studio premium audio, the RDX Prototype is stuffed to the gills with luxury features. Whether the production RDX will boast all of these goodies isn't yet known, but it's a pretty safe bet that it will.”

I guess the question will be if the production model will have the same features, but one of the engineers said it was pretty much the real deal except for the wheel size and side mirrors.

The full article can be found here:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/fir...irst-look.html
Old 05-05-2018, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTF
Yes, it was stated in one of the interviews that the advance includes a heating package with heated steering wheel and rear seats.

Here is the button on the wheel.
Automatic Power Liftgate Opener / Closer and Folding Side Mirrors-bqswxmw.jpg
GTF (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 12:21 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Heated wheel - Advance Models only?

Originally Posted by MrJames
Yes, it was stated in one of the interviews that the advance includes a heating package with heated steering wheel and rear seats.

Here is the button on the wheel.

Good catch on the steering wheel. My "educated?? guess" is that it will be only available on the Advance model, and not the A-Spec. I have a new TLX A-Spec and it doesn't, and it seems Acura
has been following what's not on the A-Specs...TLX, RDX, MDX....is on the Advance models. Did I say that right? LOL!!
Old 05-06-2018, 12:25 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

I totally get that. I'm a PC guy and this seems like the Apple-ization of cars (form over function).

However, if NSX owners can deal with it then I suppose I can as well.
NSX owners don't have a choice....other than not buy the car. Note: I'm 6'1" and don't have near enough room for comfortable driving in the NSX. I think they made the seating area for those 5'10" and under.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:41 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ultramart
Disclaimer: I have never driven a car with push buttons transmission... yet. :-)

I can see some advantages to push buttons. They can include safety systems for example select P automatically if you unbuckle the seat belt and open the door. Am I the only one to almost leave the car on D once in a while? LOL
There are also drawbacks with automated security systems, i.e. when you don't want them to do something. Advantages vs disadvantages...

There are dozens of people working on those projects. There is a design process (R&D, prototyping, manufacturing, validating, testing, ...) involving specialists in ergonomics, usability, testing. Really I believe this is a better version of something which already exist.

To make a fair comparison between the two systems, we should have equally experienced drivers on each system. i.e. one who have been driving for 2 years (total), only with push buttons and the other who have been driving also for 2 years but only with a shift lever.
For the discussion, let's assume in those conditions the shift lever is 2-3 seconds faster in an emergency situation (get away from bad guys like in movies). Is that a factor sufficient to not ditch all the advantages?
I would also like to know the thoughts of a person who only knew a car with push buttons who tries one with a shift lever.

Someone who has been driving for decades with a shift lever will understandably miss the shift lever. I will probably miss it too at first. Or maybe forever, we'll see.

In the future and with some experience, I'm confident push buttons will be better overall. And the systems will improve. MT vs AT is a good analogy. We all know MT are more fun to drive, you can slip the clutch, change gear when YOU decide. But the reality is that even they have the choice, the vast majority will buy the AT. Because they offer more advantages than disadvantages.

It's just my opinion, I may be completely wrong and I know it. LOL
I get that you are doing your best to use logic in explaining how this can be OK??? But, it's really simpler than that. It's just "natural, easy to use mechanics." I own a push button trans car....and I hate it. Not the car so much, but, the
shifter issue was NOT needed. Yes, I've owned many manual and auto trans cars with shifting arms. Many Mustangs, Supras, Corvette, etc. It's always been "natural" to manipulate the shifter without having to look or "wonder" if you are
making the right "move." And, honestly, sporty or sports cars should have a "place to put your right hand"....OK, guys...I know what you are thinking...CARS here...LOL.......but, again, IF you are a true "driving person" where you want
to feel and be part of the visceral overall feeling of driving a "sporty/sports car/SUV, etc" then a shifting arm of some kind is just part of the car culture. If you want a push button trans on a Rolls or Bentley....or large fancy Caddy....OK, but
not in a vehicle that is supposed to be "fun, sporty, where you are a part of manipulating the trans....either a manual or auto. I know "young folks" just coming up in the car world don't know what all this means. They are a part of the
"push button world" anyway...so why not in the car?

But, form over function is not the answer and lacks common sense...which most engineers don't have. Or most people in general. Again, reinventing the wheel is beyond necessary in many things happening. To make a car DRIVE for you
is pure stupidity. Autonomous cars is way beyond belief. They won't survive. If I don't want to drive, I'll take a cab, uh, as long as there is someone driving it!! YIKES! LOL.....

Quick Reply: Automatic Power Liftgate Opener / Closer and Folding Side Mirrors