Auto Engine Idle Stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 05:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
In the Accord sensing system, it is read by the camera. In the RDX, it comes off the nav.

Thanks...I knew the Accord had it as I just bought a 2018 Touring Hybrid for my Son, who just graduated Grad School back in June, and a 2018 2.0T EXL-NAVI for my Mom last week so one would certainly think that the Acura would have it as well...interesting how they don't leverage tech from different divisions.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Auto Start/Stop is actually pretty important. You only have to turn off the engine for six or seven seconds for it to be worth it
Not sure I would word it as "pretty important". Yes, it will save fuel but at what other expense to the starter and other mechanical components? I, personally, have it on my Audi and clearly the RDX. I disabled it on my Audi via an ECU coding change and wish I could do the same on the RDX. I HATE it and, since I am not concerned about how much fuel I use (we all should be putting 91-93 octane in our cars anyway) since cost really isn't a factor, I would prefer it OFF. A company made a device to do this for certain GM and other vehicles...hopefully one will be developed for our vehicles.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/chevy...-products.html
Old 09-14-2018, 07:47 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
Not sure I would word it as "pretty important". Yes, it will save fuel but at what other expense to the starter and other mechanical components? I, personally, have it on my Audi and clearly the RDX. I disabled it on my Audi via an ECU coding change and wish I could do the same on the RDX. I HATE it and, since I am not concerned about how much fuel I use (we all should be putting 91-93 octane in our cars anyway) since cost really isn't a factor, I would prefer it OFF. A company made a device to do this for certain GM and other vehicles...hopefully one will be developed for our vehicles.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/chevy...-products.html
The Auto Start/Stop feature is designed to be started and stopped multiple times via a separate mechanism from the actual starter on the car. Your concern is moot.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

You may feel the concern is moot but that doesn’t make up for the fact that most folks hate it. At least Acura let’s you turn it off. Many other manufacturers do not.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
... for the fact that most folks hate it....
Not a fact, just assumption/opinion/speculation.

The following users liked this post:
romer (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:20 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I don't mind it but the Acura version needs a bit more refining, needs to me smoother, quicker and less obtrusive. When I know I need to get away from an intersection quickly due to an impeding lane change, bottleneck etc, I find myself turning it off. Shouldn't need to do that IMO.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Not a fact, just assumption/opinion/speculation.
Really??? This is your reply???
Old 09-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Really??? This is your reply???
Yep.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

You're a real piece of work.....
Old 09-14-2018, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

You may feel the concern is moot but that doesn’t make up for the fact that most some folks hate it. At least Acura let’s you turn it off. Many other manufacturers do not.
You're a real piece of work.....
Just so you know where I'm coming from I've edited your original post to make it more accurate.
securityguy (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Thanks...I knew the Accord had it as I just bought a 2018 Touring Hybrid for my Son, who just graduated Grad School back in June, and a 2018 2.0T EXL-NAVI for my Mom last week so one would certainly think that the Acura would have it as well...interesting how they don't leverage tech from different divisions.
Nav is far more prevalent in the Acura. Too, there are reports of misread signs in the Honda. We have a gen 9 Accord, and the gen 10 was a choice. Unitl she test drove the Acura in the morning, and the Accord in the afternoon, that is, and said (or acknowledged) that it is a no-brainer that the Acura was worth the bucks.
securityguy (09-14-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
The Auto Start/Stop feature is designed to be started and stopped multiple times via a separate mechanism from the actual starter on the car. Your concern is moot.
So you're saying that the 2019RDX has a second auxiliary starter? I don't think this is correct. All the cars with auto stop/start that I am familiar with use a heavy duty starter with AGM battery technology. Not only is there extra wear and tear on the albeit heavy duty starter, but there is also the question of startup wear to the oil lubricated reciprocating parts of the engine (pistons, crankshaft bearing, cams, etc). What about replacement costs for the AGM battery and the heavy duty starter. Maybe not a big deal, or maybe it is.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Maybe there are dealer only setttings that allow to disable this feature without having it reset each time?
thats really stupid if I can not disable it durably.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ednigma
So you're saying that the 2019RDX has a second auxiliary starter? I don't think this is correct. All the cars with auto stop/start that I am familiar with use a heavy duty starter with AGM battery technology. Not only is there extra wear and tear on the albeit heavy duty starter, but there is also the question of startup wear to the oil lubricated reciprocating parts of the engine (pistons, crankshaft bearing, cams, etc). What about replacement costs for the AGM battery and the heavy duty starter. Maybe not a big deal, or maybe it is.
My understanding of how S/S is 'typically' implemented is that one cylinder is always stopped at or near TDC where ignition will take place. Some (a lot?) of the force needed to restart comes from the spark ignition with just a 'bump' by the starter. The process is considerably different than a normal start of the engine.

Many of the friction surfaces have been re-engineered to reduce wear (
). Improved oil formulation has allowed residual lubrication, and oil runoff from the lubricated components is relatively minimal during the short time the engine is off so there's less to be concerned about on that front compared to start up wear of a cold engine. Here's just one of many articles on the subject - https://autoweek.com/article/technol...oweek-explains

Now whether or not all this works and saves gas as intended is a totally different subject.

The implementation of auto S/S on hybrid vehicles is totally different which may be where the 'second starter' comes from.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

i have ave read that with start stop the design of all the wear parts, crank bearings, cylinder sleeves, yada, yada are hardened to handle the extra wear, but I tend to lean towards even if it is I still don’t want to add to it. Besides Acura’s rough start up from stop I don’t like the concept in general. It feel it screws up even cooling of critical parts and such. I know the ZF in my 15 TLX as crappy as it was seemed far more erratic the few times I used start/stop. If the few $$ s/s saves in gas we’re that important to me I would be buying a different car. The s/s is all about the manufacturers hitting EPA fuel targets and would not exist otherwise. I just spent a few days in a Caddy XT5 and you can not disable s/s which would cause me to never buy it. I will say that GM’s implementation is barely noticeable, but I would never buy a car that I cant turn it off in.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL

i have ave read that with start stop the design of all the wear parts, crank bearings, cylinder sleeves, yada, yada are hardened to handle the extra wear, but I tend to lean towards even if it is I still don’t want to add to it. Besides Acura’s rough start up from stop I don’t like the concept in general. It feel it screws up even cooling of critical parts and such. I know the ZF in my 15 TLX as crappy as it was seemed far more erratic the few times I used start/stop. If the few $$ s/s saves in gas we’re that important to me I would be buying a different car. The s/s is all about the manufacturers hitting EPA fuel targets and would not exist otherwise. I just spent a few days in a Caddy XT5 and you can not disable s/s which would cause me to never buy it. I will say that GM’s implementation is barely noticeable, but I would never buy a car that I cant turn it off in.

My feelings also. WRT the TDC piston firing, I know that Mazda touts that as a feature of their SkyActiv system, but they say that it provides for a near instantaneous restart (the fastest in the industry according to Mazda). Maybe Acura does it too, but I would think that it would be highlighted. Hardened wear surfaces are fairly standard with the switch to thinner fuel saving oil and extended oil change intervals. Fact of the matter is that their is more wear and tear with ASS than without, even with these measures.
I know that BMW used to allow you to set the ASS to remember the last position in its iDrive control, then you had to request the service dept to program it to remember it, now, the service dept won't do it but some third parties will code it for you for a nominal cost (sometimes the procedure is leaked on the web, but you typically have to buy an app with the coding). But as been mentioned before, the EPA is cracking down on disabling it with their EPA CAFE credits and regulation.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Azine Jabroni

All of you are entitled to be wrong but understand you are, in fact, wrong. These engines are designed to start and stop. If you idle your engine for longer than 7 seconds with a four cylinder engine, you're burning money. There is no advantage otherwise. The stress on the engine is zero.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:19 AM
Instructor

All of you are entitled to be wrong but understand you are, in fact, wrong. These engines are designed to start and stop. If you idle your engine for longer than 7 seconds with a four cylinder engine, you're burning money. There is no advantage otherwise. The stress on the engine is zero.

I'm participating in a discussion adding information along with my opinion and you say that I'm entitled to be wrong and I need to understand that I am in fact wrong --ooohh how clever, I see what you did there. How condescending. You are correct that the engines are designed to stop/start, but since you want to be pedantic about it, the stress on the engine is not zero, it may be small, but it is not zero.
securityguy (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:27 AM
Drifting

S/S works as I expect it to. I do have to turn it off in some situations, like making a left turn, or when I need a sudden start for whatever reason. But it doesn’t really bother me that much since it is so easy to turn off.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Just an update on my Auto Idle Stop (AIS) problem. Some of you may remember that my AIS has not worked since I had a "limp mode" incident a few weeks ago. Well tonight, it started working again. Not sure what I did, but this is what I did right before it started working.

I was in stop-and -go traffic and was going to try Low Speed Follow. As luck would have it, the vehicle in front of me put on their brakes right was I was starting the cruise control (<40 MPH), so I hit my brake and cancelled the cruise. The next red light the AIS engaged, and has worked ever since. Not sure if the two things are related, but.....

Something I learned while trying to figure out what was wrong is a potential way to stop AIS from working. I saw a video where a person had a towing package installed (not an RDX) and they inserted a test device on the light connector. Since the vehicle thought it was towing a trailer, it shut off AIS.

Just passing along knowledge I have picked up over the last couple of days.

Billy
romer (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 06:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very interesting on the test device. Maybe we can find one.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:15 AM
Cruisin'

Search for: "trailer electrical connector test device" on Amazon and you find several test devices that are well rated and inexpensive. I ordered one on Prime and will give it a good test.
securityguy (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 07:13 AM
Azine Jabroni

I'm participating in a discussion adding information along with my opinion and you say that I'm entitled to be wrong and I need to understand that I am in fact wrong --ooohh how clever, I see what you did there. How condescending. You are correct that the engines are designed to stop/start, but since you want to be pedantic about it, the stress on the engine is not zero, it may be small, but it is not zero.
Despite what you have been lead to believe, it is certainly possible to have wrong opinions. You have one.

And engine wear is negligible.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:46 AM
Instructor

Despite what you have been lead to believe, it is certainly possible to have wrong opinions. You have one.
I'm very sorry that you have such a fragile ego that you feel the incessant need to be right and tell others that even their opinions are wrong. I humbly apologize for all of my obviously incorrect opinions.
HotRodW (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 AM
Azine Jabroni

I'm very sorry that you have such a fragile ego that you feel the incessant need to be right and tell others that even their opinions are wrong. I humbly apologize for all of my obviously incorrect opinions.
I don't want you misleading any bystanders.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

The auto idle stop on my RDX has been working as one would expect since the day I got the vehicle.

Today I was out and about making at least a half dozen different trips and on each one I would get the message "Idle Stop Not Available" or whatever the exact wording is. I know it was not because of a low battery just because of the amount of driving I was doing.

After getting home I cracked open the manual and one of the conditions that will disable it is if the climate control system is on (it was) and the humidity in the vehicle is high (it was). Temp was set at 69 and the outside temp was 67 with humidity at 85% according to my home weather station. I'm guessing that because the interior and exterior temps were so close the CC system didn't run enough to lower the humidity in the RDX so it stayed high and kept the AIS from activating.

Just an FYI in case anyone else notices this and ends up scratching their head like I was.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Cruisin'

I ordered a Unified Marine Trailer Wiring Circuit Tester from Amazon for under $4.00. Plugged it in to the wiring connector and it made no difference in the functionality of the AIS. One reviewer on Amazon mentioned that it disabled the AIS on a Ford F150. Not a good idea to use this tester on the 2019 RDX.
billyt1963 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by GaHokie
I ordered a Unified Marine Trailer Wiring Circuit Tester from Amazon for under $4.00. Plugged it in to the wiring connector and it made no difference in the functionality of the AIS. One reviewer on Amazon mentioned that it disabled the AIS on a Ford F150. Not a good idea to use this tester on the 2019 RDX.
Thanks for trying this, I know it was because of what I wrote. Sorry I put you through the effort and it didn’t work.

Billy
GaHokie (09-24-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TLMDXRDX
Thanks for the updates guys. I am glad I am not the only one where the idle stop is not working well. It's not a huge issue but it's odd that it worked more regularly the first week or two I had the car and now does not seem to be kicking in as much.

I have an RDX with under 800 miles. It stopped working. no rhyme or reason. i was actually going to call today. Not that I rely on it but...if this isnt working at under 800miles....what else is going to stop working.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:03 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For anyone who wants to permanently disable auto idle stop, take a look at the postings by UKBob at
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-ds980464
He describes the idea of disconnecting the battery state of charge (SOC) sensor from the negative end of the battery. Apparently this disables auto idle stop in many cars. I have not seen a report indicating that this works on Acuras. However, it seems very likely to work.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:35 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by resacu
For anyone who wants to permanently disable auto idle stop, take a look at the postings by UKBob at
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-ds980464
He describes the idea of disconnecting the battery state of charge (SOC) sensor from the negative end of the battery. Apparently this disables auto idle stop in many cars. I have not seen a report indicating that this works on Acuras. However, it seems very likely to work.
This retard made an account so he could spam post this eight times across multiple threads. He must be this UKBob's gay lover or something.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:46 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Old 07-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
To me this just is not a big deal having to press the auto start/stop button each time at startup if you do not want it engaged. It is known as forming a habit. You have to select drive or reverse each time too. The way these cars are designed these days with all of the software intricacies, making an in the home garage modification to the wiring is just asking for an unintended consequence to bite you even if it were to work.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gtssenior
To me this just is not a big deal having to press the auto start/stop button each time at startup if you do not want it engaged. It is known as forming a habit. You have to select drive or reverse each time too. The way these cars are designed these days with all of the software intricacies, making an in the home garage modification to the wiring is just asking for an unintended consequence to bite you even if it were to work.
Yeah, what about that having to “select reverse” all the time? With all the cameras and radars showing a garage in front of the car, shouldn’t it just know I need to back up?
Tom_D (07-05-2019)