Notices

App Installed on RDX :D (WIP)

Old 07-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Received 60 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking App Installed on RDX :D (WIP)

More to come, I will be showing more soon
My Goal is to have a boost gauge and maybe enable Android Auto for you guys

The following 4 users liked this post by rdx.god:
Acubruh (07-12-2019), bluntman72 (07-09-2019), omygod711 (07-06-2019), subin (07-08-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
That's awesome! Does the toucphad work to control the app? Also, how did you sideload the app? ADB and USB port? I haven't tinkered with the headunit yet after they discovered USB debugging.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rdx.god View Post
More to come, I will be showing more soon
My Goal is to have a boost gauge and maybe enable Android Auto for you guys
If you can't enable Android auto, can you please try installing zbox? Thanks
Old 07-06-2019, 11:13 AM

The Touchpad is working within apps, but I am having a hard time getting a lot of the apps to work as they require Google play services.
When I install google play services I get errors when I try to run it, and installing google play framework changes the error but I still get errors.

I installed youtube, that also requires google play services. Netflix started up but failed because of no network connection.

I have gathered some information on the processor:

I dont see an issue with installing zbox as long as it doesnt rely on google play services.
I also tried installing just the android auto apk, the ones I could find online, I have tried several, and I get crashing errors.

There is definitely some work that needs to be done to get things to work.

================================================== ================================================== =============
================================================== ================================================== =============

Instructions to install an APK:
(Perform at your own risk, these instructions are for informational purposes only, I have not had any problems, but depending on your actions you could)

-I will provide the instructions for mac users, for windows users your on your own, although they are very close to the same instructions
-You will need a USB-a to USB-a cord (just a usb port on each side) and a laptop (I am using a mac)
-You will then need to install Android ADB on your machine, the easiest way is to just install the android developer kit
https://developer.android.com/studio

1) Three finger hold to bring up the diagnostics and other settings screen
2) click on the bottom box
3) hold the top right button on the touch pad, the tabs button, hold until the menu changes to the developer menu
4) select the USB option mode and change to ADB
5) Connect your computer to the carplay usb port in the car
6) you should now be able to connect to the car
- Open up a terminal session
- Add the ADB Install path to the $PATH variable (this lets you call the ADB command without having to navigate to the folder)
Command 1) echo 'export ANDROID_HOME=/Users/$USER/Library/Android/sdk' >> ~/.bash_profile
Command 2) echo 'export PATH=${PATH}:$ANDROID_HOME/tools:$ANDROID_HOME/platform-tools' >> ~/.bash_profile
-Close out of the terminal session and reopen it
-Run Command: adb devices you should see your device show up on the list
-If you do not then go into the infotainment screens Settings->About->Developer Mode-> enabled/disable debug mode, at some point you should get a pop up that asks you to give permission for the computer to connect and talk with it, you may have to try the ADB DEVICES command again after doing this to get it to connect
7) At this point you have a connection, you can no install an APK
-Navigate to the folder with your APK file you want to install using CD (Change directory)
-Run command ADB Install apkname.apk, it will then be installed on the infotainment center
-Once it says success you should be able to try and open it by going to all apps on the infotainment center
Now if you get into a situation where the app constantly crashes you will have to uninstall the app with your computer
You can see all the 3 party install apps you performed with command adb shell 'pm list packages -3'
You will then need to run the command ADB uninstall packagenamehere, that will uninstall the app and stop the crashing

You may want to enable the Pointer settings in the developer menu to see better where your mouse is when using the apps

Also do not use the command adb reboot bootloader, I have already tried this, the infotainment shut off and would not come back on even after restarting the car. I let it sit off again for several minutes and it finally reboot, but it acted like it was dead

Have fun!

The following 5 users liked this post by rdx.god:
Acubruh (07-12-2019), catalytic_ca (07-06-2019), omygod711 (07-06-2019), pbsredrdx (07-06-2019), ssacuraho (07-09-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

The Touchpad is working within apps, but I am having a hard time getting a lot of the apps to work as they require Google play services.
When I install google play services I get errors when I try to run it, and installing google play framework changes the error but I still get errors.

I installed youtube, that also requires google play services. Netflix started up but failed because of no network connection.

I have gathered some information on the processor:

I dont see an issue with installing zbox as long as it doesnt rely on google play services.
I also tried installing just the android auto apk, the ones I could find online, I have tried several, and I get crashing errors.

There is definitely some work that needs to be done to get things to work.

Instructions to install an APK:
(Perform at your own risk, these instructions are for informational purposes only, I have not had any problems, but depending on your actions you could)

-I will provide the instructions for mac users, for windows users your on your own, although they are very close to the same instructions
-You will need a USB-a to USB-a cord (just a usb port on each side) and a laptop (I am using a mac)
-You will then need to install Android ADB on your machine, the easiest way is to just install the android developer kit
https://developer.android.com/studio

1) Three finger hold to bring up the diagnostics and other settings screen
2) click on the bottom box
3) hold the top right button on the touch pad, the tabs button, hold until the menu changes to the developer menu
4) select the USB option mode and change to ADB
5) Connect your computer to the carplay usb port in the car
6) you should now be able to connect to the car
- Open up a terminal session
- Add the ADB Install path to the $PATH variable (this lets you call the ADB command without having to navigate to the folder)
Command 1) echo 'export ANDROID_HOME=/Users/$USER/Library/Android/sdk' >> ~/.bash_profile
Command 2) echo 'export PATH=${PATH}:$ANDROID_HOME/tools:$ANDROID_HOME/platform-tools' >> ~/.bash_profile
-Close out of the terminal session and reopen it
-Run Command: adb devices you should see your device show up on the list
-If you do not then go into the infotainment screens Settings->About->Developer Mode-> enabled/disable debug mode, at some point you should get a pop up that asks you to give permission for the computer to connect and talk with it, you may have to try the ADB DEVICES command again after doing this to get it to connect
7) At this point you have a connection, you can no install an APK
-Navigate to the folder with your APK file you want to install using CD (Change directory)
-Run command ADB Install apkname.apk, it will then be installed on the infotainment center
-Once it says success you should be able to try and open it by going to all apps on the infotainment center

Now if you get into a situation where the app constantly crashes you will have to uninstall the app with your computer
You can see all the 3 party install apps you performed with command adb shell 'pm list packages -3'
You will then need to run the command ADB uninstall packagenamehere, that will uninstall the app and stop the crashing

You may want to enable the Pointer settings in the developer menu to see better where your mouse is when using the apps

Also do not use the command adb reboot bootloader, I have already tried this, the infotainment shut off and would not come back on even after restarting the car. I let it sit off again for several minutes and it finally reboot, but it acted like it was dead

Have fun!

If you have time please let me know if zbox works. If not, I will try it next week after I get a cable. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2019, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the instructions! I wish I had more time to play with it but can you try HeadUnit Reloaded and run it in Self-Mode? This will make it run AndroidAuto through your phone.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...droid-t3432348

You can download a free full beta copy of the app from XDA Labs.

So instructions would be as follows:
1. Sideload HeadUnit Reloaded onto the RDX via ADB instructions you gave above.
2. On your Android phone, run AndroidAuto in Developer Mode and hit "Start head unit server".
3. Connect your Android phone to the Acura infotainment via USB. Open up HeadUnit Reloaded and click on Self-Mode.

^That should launch AndroidAuto via your phone onto the headunit and you would control via touchpad. I don't know if it would need Google Play Services as I don't know how the app checks for licenses but AndroidAuto would be run through your phone and not on the RDX. The RDX and the app will simply make it like a mirror.

Last edited by pbsredrdx; 07-06-2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
catalytic_ca (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

I just realized it would be run in USB mode note Self-Mode if you get HeadUnit Reloaded installed.

2. On your Android phone, run AndroidAuto in Developer Mode and hit "Start head unit server".
3. Connect your Android phone to the Acura infotainment via USB.
4. Open up HeadUnit Reloaded and click on USB mode. You can also do this via WiFi Direct or a Hotspot but that's not very reliable.

Maybe I'll try to get a USB-A to USB-A cable today and try this.
catalytic_ca (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pbsredrdx View Post
Thanks for the instructions! I wish I had more time to play with it but can you try HeadUnit Reloaded and run it in Self-Mode? This will make it run AndroidAuto through your phone.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...droid-t3432348

You can download a free full beta copy of the app from XDA Labs.

So instructions would be as follows:
3. Connect your Android phone to the Acura infotainment via USB. Open up HeadUnit Reloaded and click on Self-Mode.

^That should launch AndroidAuto via your phone onto the headunit and you would control via touchpad. I don't know if it would need Google Play Services as I don't know how the app checks for licenses but AndroidAuto would be run through your phone and not on the RDX. The RDX and the app will simply make it like a mirror.
Oh right that's what I was trying to test. somehow I saw zbox in google as the android auto app. thanks
Old 07-06-2019, 12:56 PM

I just realized it would be run in USB mode note Self-Mode if you get HeadUnit Reloaded installed.

3. Connect your Android phone to the Acura infotainment via USB.
4. Open up HeadUnit Reloaded and click on USB mode. You can also do this via WiFi Direct or a Hotspot but that's not very reliable.

Maybe I'll try to get a USB-A to USB-A cable today and try this.
I will see what I can do
Old 07-06-2019, 12:59 PM

Well my tablet is not android auto compatible so I will not be able to try this :/
Old 07-06-2019, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Just purchased a USB-A male to USB-A male from Amazon for same day delivery. It should come in tonight and maybe I can test tomorrow if I have the time. Otherwise, it will have to wait until next weekend. Installing ADB on my laptop right now so I can just plug and play once the cable arrives. It would be awesome if it worked since Acura is taking their time to get AndroidAuto on this thing. It would probably be less buggy too if we can get HeadUnit Reloaded up and running since the screen will just act like a mirror.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:32 PM

I have tested the headunit reloaded, it does indeed work, so I am the first person to have Android Auto running on the RDX, thanks to the headunit reloaded developer!

I will say it is a bit buggy with how the headunit handles the connection and the app. When you boot up the headunit it is the first thing to pop up (the app) and if you want to get to the rest of the RDX menus you have to back out. It does indeed show my tablet on the RDX screen, music and voice controls were working, I didnt have an internet connection when I tested but overall it is working, just not super polished experience, but as a proof of concept it is pretty neat!!!

Some pics and a video to come!
The following 2 users liked this post by rdx.god:
Acubruh (07-12-2019), ssacuraho (07-09-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

I have tested the headunit reloaded, it does indeed work, so I am the first person to have Android Auto running on the RDX, thanks to the headunit reloaded developer!

I will say it is a bit buggy with how the headunit handles the connection and the app. When you boot up the headunit it is the first thing to pop up (the app) and if you want to get to the rest of the RDX menus you have to back out. It does indeed show my tablet on the RDX screen, music and voice controls were working, I didnt have an internet connection when I tested but overall it is working, just not super polished experience, but as a proof of concept it is pretty neat!!!

Some pics and a video to come!
Awesome! Thanks for confirming that it works! I can't wait to try it on my end.

You can also change some settings in the app to make it a little bit more stable. I disabled "Sink Audio" so that all the audio is run through the phone instead of the HeadUnit since your phone is already connected via Bluetooth. Maybe you can also play with the resolution but once its up it works well. I've tested it on a Pixel C and Nexus 7 connected via USB to my Pixel 3 XL.

The app also does work wirelessly via WiFi Direct or a hotspot tethering but it hasn't been stable in my testing on my Nexus 7. USB connection has been solid though.

Last edited by pbsredrdx; 07-06-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:02 PM

one good thing is the music does continue to play after you exit out the reloaded app on the infotainment center, weather was showing.

The following 4 users liked this post by rdx.god:
catalytic_ca (07-06-2019), omygod711 (07-08-2019), pbsredrdx (07-06-2019), ssacuraho (07-09-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

^Sweet. It's exactly like I thought would happen once we were able to sideload apps. Android Auto finally on the RDX (unofficially)! Thanks for confirming again! Can't wait to get my USB-A to USB-A cable.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:40 AM
Registered Member

Android Auto on the RDX!

I was able to play with it tonight and get HeadUnit Reloaded sideloaded on my RDX. Thanks again rdx.god!

The whole process was a pain in the butt and I ran into some issues which I'm not entirely sure the reason. I have been using Android for as long as I can remember and ADB is not new to me so I am familiar with the ADB commands and troubleshooting. The RDX infotainment was not authorizing my laptop via ADB. It would detect the device but end up saying "Unauthorized" even though I gave it permission on the headunit. I rebooted the RDX headunit, my laptop, killed and restarted the ADB server, enabled/disabled USB debugging, enabled/disabled Developer Mode, and tried different USB ports on my laptop. I know ADB works on the laptop cause I can use it on my Pixel 3 XL to do ADB pull/push and installs.

Eventually, I ended up using an old Chromebook I had running Windows 10 LTSB with USB 2.0 ports, and an older version of ADB (1.0.39) and it authorized it. In the end, I'm thinking the error may have been due to a combination of newer ADB drivers (1.0.41) and/or USB 3.0 ports on my newer laptop but I can't be for certain. So if anyone is trying this and can't get ADB to authorize the RDX headunit, try a different computer maybe with USB 2.0 but that's just a guess.

Once the app was installed on the RDX, HeadUnit Reloaded would not recognize my Pixel 3 XL. So I figured, I had to go back to the Developer settings and change ADB back to Apple Carplay. This eventually showed my Pixel 3XL on the list of USBs on HeadUnit Reloaded. Overall, the install and troubleshooting took me an hour as it was just trial and error. Additionally, the pointer location is tricky in selecting "Ok" in HeadUnit Reloaded. Luckily, once you have it set up, the app automatically launches once you connect your device.

I have not driven with it yet and I should be able to test it more tomorrow morning as it is getting late here. In the meantime, I thought you guys might be interested in some pictures of Android Auto running from a Pixel 3XL on the RDX:

App installed and shortcut on my homescreen:

Launching the app brings you to the menu:

Waze or Google Maps:

Google Maps (Blacked out the street names):

Waze (Blacked out the street names):

Phone Screen:

Android Auto Home Screen:

Music Selection Screen:

YouTube Music:

HeadUnit Reloaded allows you to change the Resolution and DPI so you can essentially run AndroidAuto in Widescreen mode:

Last edited by pbsredrdx; 07-07-2019 at 03:49 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by pbsredrdx:
AZ4035 (07-08-2019), catalytic_ca (07-07-2019), Curious3GTL (07-07-2019), omygod711 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 05:10 AM
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
A couple of guys on a forum got Android Auto working in less than a week and Acura couldn't in over a year. Maybe you should send them a bill? lol
The following 2 users liked this post by skarface:
Curious3GTL (07-07-2019), Dizzyg12 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by skarface View Post
A couple of guys on a forum got Android Auto working in less than a week and Acura couldn't in over a year. Maybe you should send them a bill? lol
Haha. That would be nice. I've waited on Android Auto since they announced it. I went so far as using a tablet mount to block the damn screen which meant no use of the 360 camera for me which I didn't really use any way.

I was able to test the app while driving earlier today and it works! HeadUnit Reloaded to run AndroidAuto works and its damn stable! Originally, the app did not want to run while the car was moving and it would minimize it into the background while still giving navigation directions and playing music. I went back to the developer settings and there's a setting for Distracted Driving. Turning that off allows you to run the app full time at any speed. Here's Waze running:

img]

The issue still remains on controlling the screen with the touchpad. I'm thinking if I connect a Bluetooth mouse, it should treat it like a pointer as it does on Android. I have to find my Bluetooth Mouse though so that's a different story. In the meantime, the app works great and now I have Android Auto on the car. I haven't tested phone calls and google now yet but I believe they should.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Haha. That would be nice. I've waited on Android Auto since they announced it. I went so far as using a tablet mount to block the damn screen which meant no use of the 360 camera for me which I didn't really use any way.

I was able to test the app while driving earlier today and it works! HeadUnit Reloaded to run AndroidAuto works and its damn stable! Originally, the app did not want to run while the car was moving and it would minimize it into the background while still giving navigation directions and playing music. I went back to the developer settings and there's a setting for Distracted Driving. Turning that off allows you to run the app full time at any speed. Here's Waze running:

img]

The issue still remains on controlling the screen with the touchpad. I'm thinking if I connect a Bluetooth mouse, it should treat it like a pointer as it does on Android. I have to find my Bluetooth Mouse though so that's a different story. In the meantime, the app works great and now I have Android Auto on the car. I haven't tested phone calls and google now yet but I believe they should.
Is the interface unusable with the track pad?
markm929 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by omygod711 View Post
Is the interface unusable with the track pad?
It's 1:1 however there is no indicator of where your finger is until you press on the touchpad. So it's a guessing game of am I clicking at the right place? Maybe there's a setting somewhere that shows where your finger is before pressing down but I haven't played enough with it to see where that might be. Android has it built-in so it must be somewhere.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts
So in theory you could do this and play Netflix on the info screen if you had the mobile hotspot on or tethered your phone?

Interesting! 😀
Old 07-07-2019, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12 View Post
So in theory you could do this and play Netflix on the info screen if you had the mobile hotspot on or tethered your phone?

Interesting! 😀
Yes. But we would probably need root on the headunit so we can get Google Play Services installed and get rid of any errors as some apps use Google Play to verify licensing. If a developer can find an exploit like they did with the other headunits we could do it. Unfortunately, that's beyond my expertise.

Someone did create an Android Auto mirroring app but your phone will need root to use it:

https://github.com/endyrubbin/AAStream

^I haven't tried it yet because my phone isn't rooted but technically the app would run through Android auto and you would cast your whole phone through Android Auto.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

It's 1:1 however there is no indicator of where your finger is until you press on the touchpad. So it's a guessing game of am I clicking at the right place? Maybe there's a setting somewhere that shows where your finger is before pressing down but I haven't played enough with it to see where that might be. Android has it built-in so it must be somewhere.
Amazon lied to me about my cable delivery, so I can't try it yet. Had u try show tap and pointer location option in developer menu?
Old 07-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts
Amazon lied to me about my cable delivery, so I can't try it yet. Had u try show tap and pointer location option in developer menu?
I have tried those just within the other parts of the headunit, it helps but you still have to click to see it, but it works decently if you hold down the cursor as you move the position as you want to click, I would think I think would help if you used it with the android auto
Old 07-07-2019, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dereileak View Post
I have tried those just within the other parts of the headunit, it helps but you still have to click to see it, but it works decently if you hold down the cursor as you move the position as you want to click, I would think I think would help if you used it with the android auto
Unfortunately, it's worse inside Android Auto because when you drag and hold, you're interacting with the map. So I do multiple taps within the vicinity of each other to get to the correct spot. Luckily, for address input you can use your phone to make entries. Clicking on small icons is a little bit more difficult but I try not to interact with the map when I'm driving any way.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

I managed to find a laptop with USB-C connection and installed headunit reloaded.

This is my observation so far.
You do not need to enable the "Head unit server" mode on the phone. I don't like seeing the "Head unit server running" message on my notification screen so that was good.
In the reload app I need to set resolution so "1280x720" for the screen to load correctly, otherwise I get a scramble screen.
The app default to DPI of 165 which makes everything too tiny, I set my DPI to 200 and its pretty good, still have to play with the sweet spot.

Problems:
I cannot get Wifi connection to work, if you guys know the right setting please let me know.
Android auto does not hear my voice.
Cursor is missing as other mentioned.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Problems:
I cannot get Wifi connection to work, if you guys know the right setting please let me know.
Android auto does not hear my voice.
Cursor is missing as other mentioned.
One thing I noticed, my car won't see a network that doesn't broadcast the SSID. Even If you enter it manually. I have to unhide it to connect to my home wifi network.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh View Post
One thing I noticed, my car won't see a network that doesn't broadcast the SSID. Even If you enter it manually. I have to unhide it to connect to my home wifi network.
I tested both Wifi hotspot and Wifi direct. With WIfi Hotspot I enable the "ATT hotspot" without data plan, phone connects and complain about signing in, i ignore the sign in and continue using the network. But HUReload still doesn't see my phone. With WiFi Direct, the app just show me an error message.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

I tested both Wifi hotspot and Wifi direct. With WIfi Hotspot I enable the "ATT hotspot" without data plan, phone connects and complain about signing in, i ignore the sign in and continue using the network. But HUReload still doesn't see my phone. With WiFi Direct, the app just show me an error message.
Which version of the HeadUnit Reloaded are you running. I believe the one in the Play Store 4.5 broke WiFi Direct. The new betas fixed the WiFi Direct although I haven't used it in the RDX. My experience with it and the Nexus 7 was that once I lost data ok my phone, the app would crash.

You are correct about not needing to put AA into start server. That was my mistake. Just plug in the USB cable and the app should automatically launch into HeadUnit Reloaded after first set up.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Which version of the HeadUnit Reloaded are you running. I believe the one in the Play Store 4.5 broke WiFi Direct. The new betas fixed the WiFi Direct although I haven't used it in the RDX. My experience with it and the Nexus 7 was that once I lost data ok my phone, the app would crash.

You are correct about not needing to put AA into start server. That was my mistake. Just plug in the USB cable and the app should automatically launch into HeadUnit Reloaded after first set up.

I am using the 4.5 trial and bought the paid version via xda lab app. now my new trouble is that I cannot install the paid version through head unit, install is blocked. How do you install ur reload app?
Old 07-08-2019, 06:47 PM

I am using the 4.5 trial and bought the paid version via xda lab app. now my new trouble is that I cannot install the paid version through head unit, install is blocked. How do you install ur reload app?
I can help, what error are you getting, what do you mean by install is blocked.

Interestingly enough I see they have an AndroidAuto APK installed on the headunit, I wonder what it would take to get it working or enabled, I have a feeling they have an "early version" of it installed just not enabled
Old 07-08-2019, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Hmm. That's odd. Have you tried uninstalling the trial apk? If it uses the same package name, you would have to use the "-r" command after ADB install. So every updated apk you would use:

adb install -r nameofapk.apk
Old 07-08-2019, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Interestingly enough I see they have an AndroidAuto APK installed on the headunit, I wonder what it would take to get it working or enabled, I have a feeling they have an "early version" of it installed just not enabled
Would be nice to have it working natively instead of the HeadUnit Reloaded. Maybe they disabled it. Could use the PM commands to reenable it?

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/56620/enable-and-disable-system-apps-via-adb
Old 07-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Finally figured it out how to get the paid version download as APK. I am noting here in case anyone wants to know. I installed the XDA lab app on my phone, using the XDA lab app purchase and install the headunit reloaded on the phone. Using a file explorer app on phone and search inside the XDA lab app folder. The APK for the HUreload will be there. Copy the APK to computer using drive, Dropbox, or USB to PC connection etc. Use adb on computer following all the previous thread instruction and install to RDX.
Maybe there's better way to install it but this is what I did.
It's not perfect, but it works, the app is 4.99, totally worth it.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Hmm. That's odd. Have you tried uninstalling the trial apk? If it uses the same package name, you would have to use the "-r" command after ADB install. So every updated apk you would use:

adb install -r nameofapk.apk
I installed XDA lab app on the RDX and tried to install it directly from app. It either said it's blocked or just crashed.

How did you get the full version into RDX? I ended up doing a lot of extra steps to get the APK and install using adb
Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Would be nice to have it working natively instead of the HeadUnit Reloaded. Maybe they disabled it. Could use the PM commands to reenable it?

https://android.stackexchange.com/qu...m-apps-via-adb

Looks like you need to root the headunit to do it. But if anyone can figure out how to root it. It will be fun.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

I installed XDA lab app on the RDX and tried to install it directly from app. It either said it's blocked or just crashed.

How did you get the full version into RDX? I ended up doing a lot of extra steps to get the APK and install using adb
I used APK extractor on my phone with XDA Labs and then copied the APK to my laptop. From my laptop I sideloaded the HeadUnit Reloaded app to the RDX via ADB commands.

To install directly from the RDX you would have to enable "unknown sources" setting which I don't recall seeing in the menus so it probably won't happen that way. You would have to ADB install all the apks for the time being.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Looks like you need to root the headunit to do it. But if anyone can figure out how to root it. It will be fun.
Hmm. From what I remember using the PM commands didn't require root but I only used it to disable apps not enable them. Back then certain phone manufacturers *cough* Samsung *cough* would prevent you from disabling apps like Facebook. And the PM command was one way to disable those system apps permanently without root. I haven't tried this on the RDX so I'm basing this from my previous experience. I am away from my car til the weekend so I can't do any more experimenting right now.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

I used APK extractor on my phone with XDA Labs and then copied the APK to my laptop. From my laptop I sideloaded the HeadUnit Reloaded app to the RDX via ADB commands.

To install directly from the RDX you would have to enable "unknown sources" setting which I don't recall seeing in the menus so it probably won't happen that way. You would have to ADB install all the apks for the time being.
I think the crash happens when the head unit try to access the "unknown sources" setting.
I ended up doing similar method as you did to get the apk installed.

It's not perfect but it works. Now I need to find a way to block OTA update in case the next Acura updates doesn't have AA and will break our HU Reload.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

So on my second drive I realize the issues with this "hack"

The distraction mode will reset every restart of the car, so you will need to go in to dealer menu and turn off the distraction mode every time
Using voice command in Android auto does not work well because it seems like the mic is picking up some noise or static. You can see the "4 dots" jumping around during voice command and google hardly understand you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: App Installed on RDX :D (WIP)

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.