Aotomatic High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Aotomatic High Beams

I’ve had the car over four months. To date the auto high beam has never gone on. I can’t believe none of my night driving hasn’t warranted a high beam. To be honest the low beams have been fine. I’m just curious. Does it require pitch black on back country roads? Or is it just calibrated to use low beams until conditions truly warrant. I assumed if they went on and other lights or oncoming traffic occurred it would just automatically return to low beam. But they never go to high.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Obvious question, but is the Auto High Beam System on? Does a green headlight symbol with an A in it show in your dash above the headlights on indicator?

Last edited by DrWoo; 01-12-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Oh no, in my experience if they are activated, they are more than aggressive in usage. In a neighborhood with street lights even. They are active when an icon on the right side of the instrument cluster shows an “A” inside the the lights symbol in green. You may need to consult the OM to understand what you need to do to activate them.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Mine are activated but they need the right conditions to turn on. The last time I noticed them turn on was when I was driving on a dark, deserted highway/roads late at night with no on-coming traffic. When on-coming traffic was sensed, the high beams would deactivate and the low beams would be illuminated.
The following users liked this post:
RDXDoug (10-25-2023)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
According to the OM, there isn't anything to do except have the lights set to Auto--which I do always. The rest is supposed to happen automatically. I'll check next time if the symbol appears on the dash. But I'll also 'enable' it first according to the OM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by romer
According to the OM, there isn't anything to do except have the lights set to Auto--which I do always. The rest is supposed to happen automatically. I'll check next time if the symbol appears on the dash. But I'll also 'enable' it first according to the OM.
AUTO headlights is not the same as auto high beams. I know because I've inadvertently disabled the auto high beams on a couple of occasions by 'flashing' an oncoming vehicle.
If needed, you can temporarily turn the system off manually. Turn on the high
beams by pushing the lever forward until you hear a click, or flash the high beams
once by pulling the lever toward you
. To turn the system back on, repeat one of the
procedures.
Even though it says the feature is temporarily disabled I suspect it stays off unless you re-enable it during the same ignition cycle, otherwise the caution on page 193 of the owner's manual applies.

The auto high-beam is in the previously selected
disabled or re-enabled setting each time you start the
engine.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:19 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I have had the vehicle for 6 months and still haven't decided how I like the auto high beams feature. What I think I am leaning towards is to not use the auto high setting in town and on the interstate highway and only use the auto setting only on rural two lane roads as a general statement. With the auto setting on while driving on city streets it seems like the high beams are constantly going on and off which is probably distracting to others. I have driven in heavy snow and fog at night and I definitely don't use the auto setting then. The high beams come on and it is like driving into a curtain with no distance vision. The light coming back that is reflected off the snow flakes or fog vapor does not seem to be enough to turn the auto beams off.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by gtssenior
I have had the vehicle for 6 months and still haven't decided how I like the auto high beams feature. What I think I am leaning towards is to not use the auto high setting in town and on the interstate highway and only use the auto setting only on rural two lane roads as a general statement. With the auto setting on while driving on city streets it seems like the high beams are constantly going on and off which is probably distracting to others. I have driven in heavy snow and fog at night and I definitely don't use the auto setting then. The high beams come on and it is like driving into a curtain with no distance vision. The light coming back that is reflected off the snow flakes or fog vapor does not seem to be enough to turn the auto beams off.
Well I mean you really shouldn't need to use the highbeams while in town or a well lit highway right. I think it's best to just use them on 2 lane backroads like you mentioned.
RDXDoug (10-25-2023)
Old 01-20-2019, 03:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto High Beam Fail

I've filed a case with Acura Customer Care regarding Auto High Beams amongst a few other issues.

I think strength in numbers is the only way to get the company to correct the issues. It isn't acceptable in my mind to just not use them. I paid a premium to get all the additional options and expect them to work (including infotainment). If dumbing it down to a lower model is the answer I could have saved thousands. Not sure where it will lead to but will consult a lawyer if I don't hear back by end of the week.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:41 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so. No one has replied in awhile. Got connectors from ebay seller. Super pricey. And he kept cancelling my order because I told him they were for an rdx the listing for connectors are for honda accord touring. Just tell him they are for an accord because he will cancel order.
Headlight adapter wire harness for 2016-17 Accord Sedan Halogen to Touring LED - $165 with tax and shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324131264105
they come together the connectors. Was missing one of the connectors so had to pay the price but since I saved on the lights. Went through hell and back because of stupid connectors. Acura sells you whole wiring harness $1,000 not worth it. Cuz all you need are connectors to plug into. Over $300 for salvaged ones.
paid installer T rexx auto sound on boston road bronx ny ——they did a great job.
Total budget lights, connector pigtails, installation = $1,000
good luck. This is all. Want to inspire or erase doubt that they can’t be done since this might be an old post. I had a professional install them. But you can save $400 if you do them yourself.hope this helps.

Started months ago. Bought lights from acura guy sold pair to me for $500. Lucked out. Alot of ebay crap with broken tabs. Broken plastic.

All worth the effort. Only get hyperflashing on dash. But doesnt effect performance of lights for now.

EFR (08-04-2021)