Anyone used their paddle shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Anyone used their paddle shifter?

Anyone tried using the paddle shifter?

I find myself using the paddle shifter to go higher gear after I accelerate. To get the rpm down instead of waiting that few seconds for the system to up shift automatically. It felt like it help with my mpg too. I also tired droppin gears manually to accelerate faster, ex. to pass, but it doesn't work well, there's just too many of them and letting the car drop automatically felt more effective, but it does takes a little time for the system to do it.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:43 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually just keep it in automatic. I tried the paddles shifters like once for fun. Some people were saying you should let go of the gas pedal when you up shift with the paddle, that true?
Old 08-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by omygod711
Anyone tried using the paddle shifter?

I find myself using the paddle shifter to go higher gear after I accelerate. To get the rpm down instead of waiting that few seconds for the system to up shift automatically. It felt like it help with my mpg too. I also tired droppin gears manually to accelerate faster, ex. to pass, but it doesn't work well, there's just too many of them and letting the car drop automatically felt more effective, but it does takes a little time for the system to do it.
I test drove an A-spec a few weeks ago and found the same thing. Dropping gears doesn't do anything to accelerate...which is one thing I love doing in my '07 RDX when merging onto the highway or to pass someone.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
We have a few steep hills, and I use the paddles to downshift to 3 going down, helps brake the engine. FYI, I used to go to 2 in the 2014 MDX, but the RDX is not happy in 2—very loud moan!
Old 08-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Downshifting with paddles can prolong brake life. I played on some back roads with them and it was ok, but not like a true manual. I miss those days!
Old 08-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I have only used to engine brake going downhill.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:33 AM
Instructor

You guys shift to "S" gear to keep the lower gear?
Old 08-25-2018, 08:35 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I don’t, since you don’t need to. It will hold the lower gear until the pressure is off, or until you start accelerating.

When the transmission is in (D:
The vehicle will go into the sequential mode momentarily, and the sequential mode gear selection indicator will come on.
When the vehicle goes into the sequential mode by (- paddle shifter and the lower gear is available, the transmission properly selects single or double gear change.
Once you start traveling at a constant speed, the sequential mode will automatically switch off, and the sequential mode gear selection indicator will go off.
Hold the (+ paddle shifter for two seconds or push the button to return to normal drive.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 08-25-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't use paddle shifting on this car because the transmission will just take over control. Big disappointment that theres no full auto mode but I've accepted this which is why I don't use them. Honestly without the option of fully manually they are pointless.

Last car was a dual clutch Audi which was awesome to drive. With this car I just hope the transmission gets smoother. It doesn't seem to perform well in traffic which is where a full manual mode would be awesome. Also I wish the auto shutoff for the engine would remember my decision to stay off.

General question -- If Honda comes out with a fix or upgrade for the tranny will it be an option to update OTA or at dealer? I assume the update on nav only pertains to the Infotainment system but it would be nice if it was more of a general car update. I guess it's too much to ask that Acura tries to keep up with Tesla.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cgprelude
I don't use paddle shifting on this car because the transmission will just take over control. Big disappointment that theres no full auto mode but I've accepted this which is why I don't use them. Honestly without the option of fully manually they are pointless.

Last car was a dual clutch Audi which was awesome to drive. With this car I just hope the transmission gets smoother. It doesn't seem to perform well in traffic which is where a full manual mode would be awesome. Also I wish the auto shutoff for the engine would remember my decision to stay off.

General question -- If Honda comes out with a fix or upgrade for the tranny will it be an option to update OTA or at dealer? I assume the update on nav only pertains to the Infotainment system but it would be nice if it was more of a general car update. I guess it's too much to ask that Acura tries to keep up with Tesla.
I don't know how many miles you have in your rdx but I'm at 1700 and the transmission gotten a bit smoothed out after break in. But I doubt acura it will ever beat Audi's dual clutch .
Old 08-26-2018, 03:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts

If this new RDX works like my old 2007 RDX did, try putting it into sport mode, then it becomes true full manual with the paddles and won't upshift at all. I remember my RDX would let me bounce off the rev limiter in sport-manual mode. Though of course I never let it do that more than that one time lol.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill give that a try again but when I did the test drive at the dealership I did that and it kept taking over. I kept asking the sales guy if it was possible and his response was "Yes but we have to stop to enable the feature." I knew it waas BS since he was making up other random stuff and then when I called him out on something else he said Ohh this is my 2nd day, I'm still learning.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ill give that a try again but when I did the test drive at the dealership I did that and it kept taking over. I kept asking the sales guy if it was possible and his response was "Yes but we have to stop to enable the feature." I knew it waas BS since he was making up other random stuff and then when I called him out on something else he said Ohh this is my 2nd day, I'm still learning.
I test drove an A-spec a few weeks ago and the sales guy put it into Sequential mode for me (I think you engage it by holding the D/S button down for a few seconds) and it allowed me to drive the car in full manual with the paddle shifters. This is not to be confused with putting it into Sport-mode with the dynamic mode dial (I'm also coming from an '07 RDX and the terminology threw me off at the beginning too).
Old 08-26-2018, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by SUVGuy
I test drove an A-spec a few weeks ago and the sales guy put it into Sequential mode for me (I think you engage it by holding the D/S button down for a few seconds) and it allowed me to drive the car in full manual with the paddle shifters. This is not to be confused with putting it into Sport-mode with the dynamic mode dial (I'm also coming from an '07 RDX and the terminology threw me off at the beginning too).
Thanks for clarifying, this is exactly what I meant. Not sport mode with the big central dial but instead press the drive button again on the shift area to go into sport mode.

I wasn't sure if they got rid of that sport button on the shifter, it seems repetitive to have it in two different places to me. Also I don't think you need to press and hold it, just press it and let go should be enough.