Anyone gone to a Drive-In Movie w/19 RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:27 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Question Anyone gone to a Drive-In Movie w/19 RDX?

I know there are not many left, but we have one here in CT and last year we went in my 17 RDX and after an hour or so of the car being in ACC the lights would come on and I had to open the door and recycle the car on and off to get it dark again. It's a bit embarrassing as everyone around you looks at you like you're some kind of moron turning on your lights in the middle of a film.

Anyway, this 19 RDX seems to take a lot of things for granted and I don't want to try it without a test run in my garage unless someone else has given it a shot. Like I said, not many folks have Drive-In Movie Theaters around them, they are a thing of the past, but they are fun and modern drive-ins require the use of your FM radio, so you have to have the car on (in ACC). Of course, you could bring a portable radio, but it wouldn't sound the same.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Drive-in what is that? ;-)

ever since i built out my home theater years back I have not even been to a movie theater since December 2007.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:28 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by KeithL
Drive-in what is that? ;-)

ever since i built out my home theater years back I have not even been to a movie theater since December 2007.
Yeah, I know. I have a home theater room myself, but I like to go to the drive in once or twice a summer just to support the place (and to eat the crappy popcorn)
Old 08-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
And to show off the new RDX ... Woot
Old 08-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
My girl said, get your hand off of that. But she didn’t move away.

That kind of drive-in?
The following users liked this post:
oblio98 (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
I know there are not many left, but we have one here in CT and last year we went in my 17 RDX and after an hour or so of the car being in ACC the lights would come on and I had to open the door and recycle the car on and off to get it dark again. It's a bit embarrassing as everyone around you looks at you like you're some kind of moron turning on your lights in the middle of a film.

Anyway, this 19 RDX seems to take a lot of things for granted and I don't want to try it without a test run in my garage unless someone else has given it a shot. Like I said, not many folks have Drive-In Movie Theaters around them, they are a thing of the past, but they are fun and modern drive-ins require the use of your FM radio, so you have to have the car on (in ACC). Of course, you could bring a portable radio, but it wouldn't sound the same.

Did you have your 17RDX in headlight auto-on mode? I would think that if you had your headlights in manual mode (not to automatically turn on at dusk) and off, it would never turn on by itself, whether the car was set to on or acc or not.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98

we have a drive in close to my house. I go with my wife sometimes especially when they have to he double feature... I usually take my TL which does have day time running lights... in the newer cars like this RDX, can you turn off the daytime running lights? In order to not ruin my he ambience?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad you asked that! We go the drive-in in Warwick NY all the time, and it was a real problem with the 2014 MDX—I had to use duct tape to cover the puddle lights, which took forever to go out when accessory was on. For those that haven't been to a drive-in, you have your radio on the whole time in accessory mode. It can also be a problem with some of the interior/exterior lights that don't go off—usually the first 15 minutes of the show people are trying to figure out how to have the radio on without all the lights.

I'm happy to report that it works great in the 2019 RDX! You can turn all the exterior lights off, and interior lights stay off by a switch by the sunshade switch. You can turn the brightness of the screen on the dash way down. What happens is, after about the first hour it shuts off and you have to turn on accessory again (but lights won't come on when you open the door). It doesn't flash lights or anything so it's pretty easy. I have all the windows open since kids are out back and we're on the sides, and can adjust the volume through the window on the steering wheel switch. And the sound is great.
The following 2 users liked this post by DesignerTom:
oblio98 (08-11-2018), robuckj (08-10-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
One thing: when restarting after an hour when it goes out, don't press the brake pedal (that will start it, and also work the brake lights).
Old 08-11-2018, 07:19 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by DesignerTom
Glad you asked that! We go the drive-in in Warwick NY all the time, and it was a real problem with the 2014 MDX—I had to use duct tape to cover the puddle lights, which took forever to go out when accessory was on. For those that haven't been to a drive-in, you have your radio on the whole time in accessory mode. It can also be a problem with some of the interior/exterior lights that don't go off—usually the first 15 minutes of the show people are trying to figure out how to have the radio on without all the lights.

I'm happy to report that it works great in the 2019 RDX! You can turn all the exterior lights off, and interior lights stay off by a switch by the sunshade switch. You can turn the brightness of the screen on the dash way down. What happens is, after about the first hour it shuts off and you have to turn on accessory again (but lights won't come on when you open the door). It doesn't flash lights or anything so it's pretty easy. I have all the windows open since kids are out back and we're on the sides, and can adjust the volume through the window on the steering wheel switch. And the sound is great.
Wow! Thanks! I never thought anyone would reply with a real answer. I never figured out why the interior lights would come on after an hour in accessory mode on my 17. I asked the dealer and he looked at me like I was a wacko! (He probably was right)

So thanks. Now I'll have to try it out. I just have to make sure my wife doesn't get popcorn all over the floor on the passenger side!