Notices

Anyone come from an MDX? Thoughts? Regrets?

 
Old 06-09-2019, 01:01 PM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Age: 49
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Anyone come from an MDX? Thoughts? Regrets?

If you moved from the MDX to the newest RDX - are you happy with your decision? Any regrets? What do you miss about the MDX? And if you regret the switch, would you have gone back to the MDX or something else?

I'm coming off of my second leased MDX - 2014 and 2016. I loved both for the most part, but I'm now bored with the MDX and some electrical quirks have been popping up here and there. Also - I no long have a need for the third row. (My kids are teenagers and only shove kids back there when absolutely necessary, which is rare these days.) I've looked at moving to Audi Q5 or the ACURA RDX and, if I want to really shake things up, the Audi A5 Sportback. In the end, however, I'm finding the 2019 MDX back on the list for reasons I'll list below.

1. Audi Q5 - The interior fit/finish is more refined and luxurious than the MDX. I like the simplicity of the MDX, but it is much more untilitarian than the Audi. I don't like that the back seat bench really doesn't acommodate a middle passenger due to the very high middle hump. It's fine for the ocassional need, but I've already given up the third row of the MDX, so it would be nice to have the flexibility of a decent middle space. And that middle row in general is not all that spacious.

2. Acura RDX (A-Spec) - Great value for the money, especially a great sound system with the A Spec. Love the panoramic moon roof. Flat floor in the second row making a middle passenger much more comforatable, very nice cargo space. I'm aware of the complaints about the touch pad for the infotainment system, but I'm a techie and could get used to it. No Android Auto currently isn't a deal breaker, but I would like to have it and I'm skeptical about it ever coming to fruition. I'm tired of clipping my phone up on some obnoxous plastic contraption so I can untilize Waze on my phone. I find the overall control panel to be serious overkill, cluttered and wasteful. At first I thought it was really cool, but after thinking it over, I think I'm at a point in my life (49) where refinement and simplicity are more appealing. I'm very torn on the exterior. On one hand, I find it to be really sporty and sleek, but then when I'm looking for other RDX's on the road, I find myself often mistaking them for other more budget cars on the road.

3. And back the MDX (base model) - I'm bored staring at the same dash after 6 years. The top screen resolution is fair at best, most notably when using the backup camera, and this has apparently not changed in the latest model. (My husbands' Jeep Sahara backup view is beautifully crisp and I appreciate that.) No panoramic moonroof - something that would help make me less bored with the MDX design. BUT... The MDX is so very spacious and comforatable. It's wide and the front seats are really generous on leg and arm room. Same with the middle row. I feel like everyone really has their own space, which is nice for the ocassional road trip. The dash, while unchanged in years not overly luxurious, includes controls that are clean and intuituve. Acura isn't going for hi-tech just for the sake of it. And FINALLY, Andriod Auto! I am loyal to Waze and find paying up for sub-par native nav systems to be a huge waste of money.

So... there's part of me that really needs a change, but part of me doesn't want to give up what I have in the MDX.

I think the thing that frustrates me the most about these and other cars I've looked at is that when manufactures bump out the third row for stepped down versions of their three row models, they also bump down the space in the second row. Audi Q7 to the Q5 did this. Acura from MDX to RDX did this too. So you're not only giving up the third row, your giving up space on the remaining middle row too. Not sure whay that is. There's no middle ground.

Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
ctychick is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 01:58 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
consultauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: coral springs,florida
Age: 46
Posts: 162
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I currently own both, actually 3. An ‘07 MDX, ‘18 MDX, ‘19 RDX A Spec. The RDX is sportier, nicer interior, better sound system but worst in gas mileage than the ‘18 MDX. Of course more cargo room. My wife drives the ‘18 MDX and it suits her fine, the RDX was a compromise for me, I really wanted the Civic Type R, but that was not practical for my family needs. So the RDX fits my needs/wants. Both are good vehicles but RDX is the sportier of the two.
consultauto is offline  
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 02:32 PM
  #3  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,766
Received 14,050 Likes on 10,443 Posts
I think that's the key...NO one vehicle will do it all, there will always be compromises...

so, choose the vehicle that best suits your needs and wants....whether that be the RDX or MDX....as they serve different purposes in the line up
justnspace is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 03:00 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 204
Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
Keep looking at some other models to see if anything else peaks your interest. The Volvo XC90 and smaller XC60 should be worth a test drive. 2020 XC90 is coming out in the next month or so with minimal changes except the hybrid. I'm reading that people are getting 15%+ off MSRP on the 2019 models right now.
MrJames is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:24 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Age: 35
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a funny tread. This is exactly what I was going though about 1 month ago. I test drove all 3 mentioned above and nothing else. I had a 2012 MDX which I loved and when I test drove the 2019, it really felt like a luxury minivan to me. Interior also felt very old.
Then test drove the RDX. Really loved the drive and the overall package, especially the A-Spec. I did not like the fake engine noise and the lack of android auto but we were able to live with it. The multiple problems on this forum also scared me a bit.

Since we had some time to kill during that day, when went to Audi even if we were set on the RDX (Never owned a german car before). What surprised me was how quiet and simple the interior of the Audi is while being a notch more luxurious. The Audi forum probably report 10x less problem with the Q5 compared to RDX. Surprisingly, The Q5 Komfort was about 1000$ cheaper than a RDX tech model.

Been driving the Q5 for a month (I have 2 young kids and fit well in the back) and could not be happier. For long drive, we will probably use our F150 since the Q5 is a bit tight over long haul. Good luck with your purchasing project.
rikee is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:08 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Age: 39
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I miss the cargo space a lot, and people space a little, and the low end torque of the V6.
Other than that, no regrets.
REALM is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 PM
  #7  
mrgold35
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 4,672
Received 587 Likes on 489 Posts
Can you wait until the next gen MDX comes out before making a final decision? The current 19 RDX will be a sneak/peak of the all new 4th Gen MDX. I can see the 4th gen having additional luxury touches, apple/android carplay, updated interior, V-6 or V6T engine, sport hybrid option, and A-Spec (maybe a Type-S) versions. Acura is usually late to the party. The current Honda pilot is already a few years ahead of the current MDX. Only the sport hybrid MDX is unique; but, still wrapped in old styling and info-tainment tech.
mrgold35 is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:14 PM
  #8  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,766
Received 14,050 Likes on 10,443 Posts
Originally Posted by REALM View Post
I miss the cargo space a lot, and people space a little, and the low end torque of the V6.
Other than that, no regrets.
dafuq??????????

the new RDX has peak torque come on early..as early as 1500RPM

the old RDX peaked at 5000 RPM.

meaning; the v6 needed to be revved out ALL the way to redline to make power...
the turbo four has more low end torque in this situation.

at 1500 RPM, the turbo four is making 260lbs.
at 1600 RPM, the Turbo four is making it's full twist at 280lbs AND CONTINUES to make that full twist throughout it's entire power band

the V6 makes 250lbs at 5000 RPM. and ONLY at 5000 RPM


Even if you were talking about the MDX, it still makes peak torque Up above,...cuz that's the characteristic of Honda V6's...Peak torque at VTEC. and not below VTEC.
as the name implies...variable cam timing... a low profile cam for low speeds...and a more aggressive lift at higher RPMs

Last edited by justnspace; 06-09-2019 at 09:41 PM.
justnspace is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 01:25 AM
  #9  
2019 BMW X3 M40i
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Washington
Age: 33
Posts: 95
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd suggest the new RDX. I've been car shopping for about a year, and (IMO) I think the best bang for the buck is:
  • $30k-40k - CX-5
  • $40k-50k - RDX
  • $50k-60k - X3
I started off wanting the CX-5, took it for a test drive, and was disappointed with both the acceleration and audio. If you aren't looking for a good 0-60 time and are not an audio snob, this is a great vehicle.
Then I had my eyes fixed on the RDX. I truly thought I was going to buy this car. Took it for a test drive... and it was pretty damn good; I was certainly feeling better about the audio quality compared to the CX-5, but after all the engine and SH-AWD hype, I was still wanting more from the acceleration department. I was also miffed that you could not get A-Spec styling on the Advance. I really, really wanted a black headliner like the CX-5 Signature and the A-Spec has.
Finally, and surprisingly to me, I started to fall for the X3 M40i. It had everything I wanted (at a price). However, I took it for a test drive and I was in lust. I waited until they announced the 2020 RDX in hopes that they would have allowed for A-Spec/Advance combination, but alas, no dice. Put in a custom order for an X3 a couple days ago. Happy with my decision, even though it took me about a year to arrive at it.
In any case, based on your post, I strongly would not recommend an MDX until the refresh happens. The Q5 is nice, but I think the RDX is right up your alley- with a savings factor. You get that middle seat practicality as well, which is something you won't find in those other options, or with many other cars out there today.
Best of luck!
Alias1431 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 03:59 AM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
When it was time to replace my 2015 MDX, the fourth I had owned, I chose the RDX for a very mundane reason: We moved to a home with a smaller garage, and the shorter narrower body was a blessing. Also, the MDX line is way overdue for a redesign.

I have no regrets. I used the third row a few times a year at most. The larger cargo capacity was a nice-to-have.

In addition to my RDX, I have an Audi e-Tron on order. Size-wize it’s between a Q5 and a Q7. It competes mainly with the Tesla X, which offers “ludicrous” performance but far inferior ride and finish. Worth a look if you’re looking for adventure.
tangible is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 AM
  #11  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Age: 99
Posts: 173
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
The main thing I would recommend for the OP is that she keeps leasing instead of buying. Because I don't think she knows what she wants any more than we do. She wants a clean, uncluttered interior but simultaneously wants it luxurious and sophisticated but also utilitarian. And then the outside has to make her stand out in a crowd. And she wants a change but likes the familiarity of what she has. She needs the room of a three-row car in two-row seating. And her life seems to revolve around her Waze app, but nothing about actual driving performance. And also a really amazing backup camera.
DriverOne is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:07 AM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 343
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
To me German or any other European cars are excellence if you planing to Lease them and return after warranty expire, my problem is after warranty expire it would probably cost a lot more than Japanese to replace parts and labors wise..especially BMW known for using a lots plastic engine parts these day..just my thought..
Yotrek is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:44 AM
  #13  
2019 BMW X3 M40i
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Washington
Age: 33
Posts: 95
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne View Post
The main thing I would recommend for the OP is that she keeps leasing instead of buying. Because I don't think she knows what she wants any more than we do. She wants a clean, uncluttered interior but simultaneously wants it luxurious and sophisticated but also utilitarian. And then the outside has to make her stand out in a crowd. And she wants a change but likes the familiarity of what she has. She needs the room of a three-row car in two-row seating. And her life seems to revolve around her Waze app, but nothing about actual driving performance. And also a really amazing backup camera.

Alias1431 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 12:26 PM
  #14  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Age: 99
Posts: 173
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
DriverOne is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 02:55 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 32
Posts: 109
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I miss the power tilt telescopic wheel and a few times the extra storage.
mcrompton is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 03:58 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
ZipSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 351
Received 103 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek View Post
To me German or any other European cars are excellence if you planing to Lease them and return after warranty expire, my problem is after warranty expire it would probably cost a lot more than Japanese to replace parts and labors wise..especially BMW known for using a lots plastic engine parts these day..just my thought..
Agreed. I had a 2011 X3 and that thing was a blast to drive, but holy moly that thing was in the shop for warranty repairs more than any other vehicle I have owned. At the four year mark, got rid of it.
ZipSpeed is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:15 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 204
Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
With BMW, there is no Android Auto support. They do support Apple Carplay via wireless but you have to pay BMW $80 per year after the first year for the privilege of using it.
MrJames is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:26 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 343
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Yotrek is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 05:53 PM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Age: 31
Posts: 239
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts
The only reason that Land Rover is in the middle of that list is because they're likely to have already fallen apart well before the 10 year mark .
fiatlux is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Madd Dog (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 PM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,432
Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I went the opposite way, had 3 RDX's and really liked the V6 from my 17 RDX. I like the new RDX but cross shopped it with the MDX and the deals are so good with the MDX, the cost was close and I have a 2019 MDX ASpec. I love it, love the size, V6 engine, prefer the 2 screen set up, the red ambience lighting. No regrets here.
BLEXV6 is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 PM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 343
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6 View Post
I went the opposite way, had 3 RDX's and really liked the V6 from my 17 RDX. I like the new RDX but cross shopped it with the MDX and the deals are so good with the MDX, the cost was close and I have a 2019 MDX ASpec. I love it, love the size, V6 engine, prefer the 2 screen set up, the red ambience lighting. No regrets here.
No panoramic sunroof?
Yotrek is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:36 PM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,432
Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek View Post
No panoramic sunroof?
Nope, but never had one before so I don't miss it.
BLEXV6 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 AM
  #23  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 996
Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek View Post
No panoramic sunroof?
I think mine has been fully exposed once. When my son commented that my new car didn't have a sunroof. Boy, did I show him!

As for MDX vs RDX, got both and I traded a 2016 Honda Pilot for my current 2019 RDX. I don't find the RDX much easier to park than either MDX or Pilot. For one thing, visibility out of the back is terrible. If not for the camera system and cross-traffic monitor, it would be a complete disaster. Also, the hood is high and the front corners are blind because of the hood sculpting. My daughter's Honda CR-V feels like a Mini in comparison. But CR-V will swallow more stuff than RDX. I guess height matters.

RDX has less rear cargo area, and cargo height is more constrained than MDX. Pilot is a whole different level.

OTOH RDX has sports car handling in comparison to those vehicles, especially with SH-AWD and the active suspension of the Advance trim. It's really fun to drive, but very sure-footed and secure. Balanced, predictable, not the least bit twitchy, but also responsive and eager to play. Yeah, this is why I bought it! ( And I'm too damn cheap to buy a Porsche ).

Drivetrain is a mixed bag. The 6-speed transmission in our 2014 MDX just does it's job without any fuss or muss, and the overall V6 package seems very refined. The 9-speed transmission in my 2016 Pilot had real issues, but current 9-speed equipped MDXs seem better behaved. RDX's turbo 4-banger and 10-speed transmission are amazing much of the time, and a bit spastic at other times. The engine does its part, but sometimes the transmission gets in the way, especially in low speed acceleration. I don't find the fuel economy to be any better than our "old-school" V6, 6-speed MDX, and that is a surprise and a disappointment.

The infotainment system in the current MDX should be in a museum. But the one in the new RDX should be in therapy. Sigh.

So, we're counting the days until the next-gen MDX hits the streets, but we're also getting a bit Euro-curious. I'm not sure if we could trade our buy-and-hold mentality for the lease-and-dump approach most people take to German car "ownership". But if you're already leasing, it may be a more interesting comparison.
Wander is online now  
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
Alias1431 (06-12-2019), anoop (06-14-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 04:39 AM
  #24  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
“If not for the camera system and cross-traffic monitor, [visibility] would be a complete disaster.”

Visibility through the rear window of any SUV is going to suffer when it’s loaded to capacity. Cargo isn’t transparent.

The RDX’s superior front and rear camera systems and cross-traffic alerts were a major factor for me in choosing it. They make backing up and accurate parking much easier than in an MDX or CRV, especially when hauling lots of stuff.
tangible is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM
  #25  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 996
Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by tangible View Post
“If not for the camera system and cross-traffic monitor, [visibility] would be a complete disaster.”

Visibility through the rear window of any SUV is going to suffer when it’s loaded to capacity. Cargo isn’t transparent.

The RDX’s superior front and rear camera systems and cross-traffic alerts were a major factor for me in choosing it. They make backing up and accurate parking much easier than in an MDX or CRV, especially when hauling lots of stuff.
Thanks for the news flash on cargo. I was referring to the unloaded SUVs, and the roof-mounted hoist mechanism for the rear hatch of RDX is not transparent, nor are the bulky rear roof pillars and stylishly upswept quarter panels. 3rd-gen MDX and current CR-V are much more open in back. I'm not basing this on a brief test drive; they share garage space with my RDX. Really, if I have a regret with purchase of 2019 RDX, it's the relatively limited cargo capacity relative to my previous string of family haulers. But did I mention the sportiness?

Sadly, this is representative of a well-defined trend in crossovers.

Our well-loved 2005 MDX is a greenhouse in back, and I routinely drive it with plastic dog crates in back to transport my two leggy medium-size dogs ( Brittanys ). In that vehicle, I can easily see out over the top of the crates; they are barely even visible in the rear-view mirror. In the 2014 MDX, I can see over them but they take up much of the view. In 2019 RDX they are almost to the roof, and I get a narrow sliver of view above them. When we finally retire the 2005 MDX ( probably in a couple years when my son graduates from college ), I will have a decision to make.

The "surround camera" system is only available on the Advance trim of 2019 RDX ( which is what I own ), and cross-traffic monitor is on Tech and above. I don't think that changed for 2020.

Last edited by Wander; 06-12-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Wander is online now  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:28 PM
  #26  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Toyota Rav4 has a very nice feature, a second rearview camera, high mounted, that feeds directly to the rear view mirror. ( can be toggled on and off easily ) and available to view at any time.
Makes the worry of "non-transparent" cargo. non-existent.
Pretty much the only feature i really liked. It would be nice if that feature made its way to more suvs.
Tomshark is offline  
Old 06-19-2019, 08:41 AM
  #27  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctychick View Post
If you moved from the MDX to the newest RDX - are you happy with your decision? Any regrets? What do you miss about the MDX? And if you regret the switch, would you have gone back to the MDX or something else?

I'm coming off of my second leased MDX - 2014 and 2016. I loved both for the most part, but I'm now bored with the MDX and some electrical quirks have been popping up here and there. Also - I no long have a need for the third row. (My kids are teenagers and only shove kids back there when absolutely necessary, which is rare these days.) I've looked at moving to Audi Q5 or the ACURA RDX and, if I want to really shake things up, the Audi A5 Sportback. In the end, however, I'm finding the 2019 MDX back on the list for reasons I'll list below.

1. Audi Q5 - The interior fit/finish is more refined and luxurious than the MDX. I like the simplicity of the MDX, but it is much more untilitarian than the Audi. I don't like that the back seat bench really doesn't acommodate a middle passenger due to the very high middle hump. It's fine for the ocassional need, but I've already given up the third row of the MDX, so it would be nice to have the flexibility of a decent middle space. And that middle row in general is not all that spacious.

2. Acura RDX (A-Spec) - Great value for the money, especially a great sound system with the A Spec. Love the panoramic moon roof. Flat floor in the second row making a middle passenger much more comforatable, very nice cargo space. I'm aware of the complaints about the touch pad for the infotainment system, but I'm a techie and could get used to it. No Android Auto currently isn't a deal breaker, but I would like to have it and I'm skeptical about it ever coming to fruition. I'm tired of clipping my phone up on some obnoxous plastic contraption so I can untilize Waze on my phone. I find the overall control panel to be serious overkill, cluttered and wasteful. At first I thought it was really cool, but after thinking it over, I think I'm at a point in my life (49) where refinement and simplicity are more appealing. I'm very torn on the exterior. On one hand, I find it to be really sporty and sleek, but then when I'm looking for other RDX's on the road, I find myself often mistaking them for other more budget cars on the road.

3. And back the MDX (base model) - I'm bored staring at the same dash after 6 years. The top screen resolution is fair at best, most notably when using the backup camera, and this has apparently not changed in the latest model. (My husbands' Jeep Sahara backup view is beautifully crisp and I appreciate that.) No panoramic moonroof - something that would help make me less bored with the MDX design. BUT... The MDX is so very spacious and comforatable. It's wide and the front seats are really generous on leg and arm room. Same with the middle row. I feel like everyone really has their own space, which is nice for the ocassional road trip. The dash, while unchanged in years not overly luxurious, includes controls that are clean and intuituve. Acura isn't going for hi-tech just for the sake of it. And FINALLY, Andriod Auto! I am loyal to Waze and find paying up for sub-par native nav systems to be a huge waste of money.

So... there's part of me that really needs a change, but part of me doesn't want to give up what I have in the MDX.

I think the thing that frustrates me the most about these and other cars I've looked at is that when manufactures bump out the third row for stepped down versions of their three row models, they also bump down the space in the second row. Audi Q7 to the Q5 did this. Acura from MDX to RDX did this too. So you're not only giving up the third row, your giving up space on the remaining middle row too. Not sure whay that is. There's no middle ground.

Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Have you considered a Lexus RX? After driving about 15 different cars, it came down to the RDX and RX for me. The RX leases well and is also available a few model years older if you'd rather buy used. While the RX has dated tech, is more expensive than the RDX, and can't compete feature-for-feature, there is an overall sense of quality, luxury, and reliability that the RDX just can't touch. Fuel economy is somehow better in the real world too even while getting a V-6. Not to knock the RDX at all, I bought one after all. I'm pretty tall and the design of the RDX fit my knees a bit better, which actually ended up being the deciding factor for me. The sporty ride of the RDX is a bonus for me, but I suspect I'd be equally happy with the RX's supremely cushy ride, especially considering the roads just seem to get worse all the time where I live.
dugums is offline  
Old 06-19-2019, 05:15 PM
  #28  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 65
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dugums View Post
Have you considered a Lexus RX? After driving about 15 different cars, it came down to the RDX and RX for me. The RX leases well and is also available a few model years older if you'd rather buy used. While the RX has dated tech, is more expensive than the RDX, and can't compete feature-for-feature, there is an overall sense of quality, luxury, and reliability that the RDX just can't touch. Fuel economy is somehow better in the real world too even while getting a V-6. Not to knock the RDX at all, I bought one after all. I'm pretty tall and the design of the RDX fit my knees a bit better, which actually ended up being the deciding factor for me. The sporty ride of the RDX is a bonus for me, but I suspect I'd be equally happy with the RX's supremely cushy ride, especially considering the roads just seem to get worse all the time where I live.
It came down to the RX vs RDX for me as well. I bought the RDX because it was fun to drive, had better tech, and I could actually be comfortable. As a tall guy (over 6') I also found the RX to have less room for me knees (narrower seat compartment, wider center console), my head would graze the ceiling, and my neck would be intruded by the headrest. I just couldn't be this comfortable in a 50-60k car.
cm2021 is offline  
Old 06-22-2019, 11:45 PM
  #29  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Age: 44
Posts: 12
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ctychick View Post
1. Audi Q5 - The interior fit/finish is more refined and luxurious than the MDX. I like the simplicity of the MDX, but it is much more untilitarian than the Audi. I don't like that the back seat bench really doesn't acommodate a middle passenger due to the very high middle hump. It's fine for the ocassional need, but I've already given up the third row of the MDX, so it would be nice to have the flexibility of a decent middle space. And that middle row in general is not all that spacious.
Thank you for mentioning the massive hump in the back. I thought I was the only person who was taken aback by that monstrosity and thought of the Q5 as a 4 passenger vehicle. The other thing I noticed with the Q5 was that the steering was so much lighter than the RDX and MDX -- overboosted and not sporty at all, in my humble opinion. Wasn't a huge fan that I would need to give up a lot of features at the same price point as the RDX. However, I thought the power and responsiveness to gas pedal inputs of the Q5 was excellent, though.

3. And back the MDX (base model) [...] The top screen resolution is fair at best, most notably when using the backup camera, and this has apparently not changed in the latest model. (My husbands' Jeep Sahara backup view is beautifully crisp and I appreciate that.)
I find the RDX back-up camera resolution to be fair at best too, and honestly disappointing at this price level.
catalytic_ca is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
6SpeedTA95
3G MDX Discussion (2014+)
23
03-15-2019 01:27 PM
Jmark
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
40
10-15-2014 09:59 PM
denm316a
Second Generation RDX (2013-2018)
10
03-29-2014 06:30 PM
Scooter
Car Talk
17
10-08-2003 06:21 PM
keniwc
Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003)
7
07-18-2001 11:24 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone come from an MDX? Thoughts? Regrets?


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.