Any suggestions for things I need to buy for my RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 11:44 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
This probably sounds terrible to people on an auto forum, but I have never and do not believe I ever will change my tires seasonally. I can't imagine buying another set of tires and storing them somewhere and switching them out. In fact, I'm so bad about my tires that I won't change them until I'm told I have to at some state inspection. That's a true and embarrassing story. The guy was like "uh ...your tires are totally rotted (or something, I forget what he actually said)." Hilariously, he still let me pass inspection, so you can tell how much he cared about his job. With the Acura, I won't be that bad, but I'm definitely not planning on buying more tires.
You sound like my dad: "Buy the cheapest rubber you can find."

When I tried to explain that performance depends on the quality of the rubber, he looked a bit puzzled.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
I didn't buy the cheapest tires, it was sort of middle-of-the-pack. I just didn't really keep track of them, however. Like I said, on a car forum, I get that this would be considered to be stupid, but I'm not really into cars. Like when I see people obsessing on the Advance rims and how they're like "I'm embarrassed to be out in public with them," that doesn't register with me. I might see a really old beater car with hubcaps -- which I never really noticed stopped being used, but I guess they did, ha ha -- or a really low-end car with really really ugly rims and cringe, but that's about it. When I see detail videos about people dressing their tires, that's ridiculous to me.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
I didn't buy the cheapest tires, it was sort of middle-of-the-pack. I just didn't really keep track of them, however. Like I said, on a car forum, I get that this would be considered to be stupid, but I'm not really into cars. Like when I see people obsessing on the Advance rims and how they're like "I'm embarrassed to be out in public with them," that doesn't register with me. I might see a really old beater car with hubcaps -- which I never really noticed stopped being used, but I guess they did, ha ha -- or a really low-end car with really really ugly rims and cringe, but that's about it. When I see detail videos about people dressing their tires, that's ridiculous to me.
On a nice car like the RDX, I would definitely just get Michelin all-seasons and change them out when needed (2/10 or below). I generally change them out at like 3/10 or so. Defenders LTX or Premier LTX comes to mind. I wouldn't skimp when it comes to tires. You can easily hydroplane or lose control on cheaper tires. My dad was like you, and kept on riding on tires until they "go bad." One day on the highway, he hydroplaned and almost killed himself. He was lucky and his car slid into a ditch.

I just go on Tirerack and pick one of the top 5 best rated tires in the category.

Unless you had an extra set of rims or extra storage in the garage, swapping out tires seasonally is a waste of money. I lived in the snowy states- NJ and MA and I was able to get away with all seasons in my sedan before I got the RDX.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 07-01-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:47 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
swapping out tires seasonally is a waste of money. I lived in the snowy states- NJ and MA and I was able to get away with all seasons in my sedan before I got the RDX.
That's what everyone says until they get snow tires... it makes a big difference, and you yourself said "I wouldn't skimp when it comes to tires. You can easily hydroplane or lose control on cheaper tires". Same goes for sliding on snow or ice. When the temperature drops below 5-7 C (41-45 F), the rubber on all-season tires start losing their ability to grip. The softer rubber on snow / winter tires maintain their grip as the temperature drops.

Just think how much just one accident would cost you... if you avoid even one accident, the snow / winter tires would pay for themselves.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:37 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by catalytic_ca
That's what everyone says until they get snow tires... it makes a big difference, and you yourself said "I wouldn't skimp when it comes to tires. You can easily hydroplane or lose control on cheaper tires". Same goes for sliding on snow or ice. When the temperature drops below 5-7 C (41-45 F), the rubber on all-season tires start losing their ability to grip. The softer rubber on snow / winter tires maintain their grip as the temperature drops.

Just think how much just one accident would cost you... if you avoid even one accident, the snow / winter tires would pay for themselves.
Also, most of us at MA and NJ have learned when to drive out there when it snows. Even though I’ve been driving in 4-5 inches of snow in these states, it happens on rare occasions. Most of us plan ahead and don’t need to go out when there’s lots of snow on the ground.

When I was still driving my G37x before the RDX, I was pretty confident in the snow with Continental DWS06’s. I understand that snow tires are better, but truthfully, I perhaps only drive once a year on snowy days. Snow tires are extremely noisy and I have to find storage for them if I buy them. It’s not worth it to me.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:22 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
When the temperature drops below 5-7 C (41-45 F), the rubber on all-season tires start losing their ability to grip.
This sounds like something that may be true but is simultaneously irrelevant. "Start losing their ability to grip" to what degree? I've never seen a car sliding around on the road wildly at 45 F.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:04 AM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Which HUD?

Originally Posted by Starseer
I have a Tech, so I bought a HUD from Amazon for about $30. It is powered by the OBD II slot and reflects the mph reading off the windshield. Although nowhere near as nice as Acura's OEM HUD, it keeps my on the road. The catch is that the HUD required calibration out of box, and some reviewers on Amazon said they had trouble with it. There is a 30 day return period and I would recommend to give it a try if you do not already have a HUD.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:41 AM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts

Same. I live in the very mild climate of Vancouver and even in our conditions love the extra traction and safety of winter tires. It's not even about the accidents I could avoid but the confidence that I can drive with in the same way that when I get high quality summer/all-season tires that I'm not the least bit concerned about heavy rain etc.