AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Any suggestions for things I need to buy for my RDX? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/any-suggestions-things-i-need-buy-my-rdx-980205/)

DriverOne 06-12-2019 09:02 PM

Any suggestions for things I need to buy for my RDX?

Here are the accessories I got with my RDX so far: Acura's all-season floor mats, remote start key fob.

Here are the accessories I ordered but am waiting on: CoverCraft shield screen (really excited to see how this will fit).

I saw in some old threads a few accessories that I'm now considering, but am sort of on the fence about. The silicone license plate holder is a maybe. My dealer had no holder, so my plate is just sitting on the car, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm not a huge fan of silicone and I rolled my eyes at the manufacturer ad on Amazon where they were showing a car that was completely destroyed because it didn't have a silicone license plate holder. I've never seen so much damage on a car before. It was like a tree hit it. But I did sort of like the look of the border on someone's photos, so maybe. Also, I hadn't even thought about a key fob protector. Again, the only one that fits the five-button fob is silicone and I hate silicone. So that's probably not going to happen. The only other thing I was wondering about was insulation for the panoramic sun roof? I saw on the shield screen thread that someone said they put insulation under the sun roof because the inner part that slides back to expose the sun roof is thin and poorly insulated. What do you guys think about that? I don't want it to be silly where if I roll back the sun roof the insulation falls on people.

Anything else people think is cool for their car? (I'm talking about normal accessories, not painting brake calipers like you guys seem to all be into, lol.)

DriverOne 06-12-2019 09:05 PM

BTW, for people wondering, what people said about the Acura floor mats is correct. There is no "lip" in the front part, so there isn't a lot of protection above the pedals if you track in snow or dirt. So if you wanted a lot of protection, I would go with a third-party mat. That being said, the Acura floor mats are enough for me and they are pretty stylish, so I didn't consider getting new ones.

mrgold35 06-12-2019 09:49 PM

My must haves for living in the southwest is tinting the windows and adding a clear bra on the frontal area, on the side fenders, headlights, fogs, and side mirrors. With hwy speeds between 70-80 mph and tons of sand can cause road rash to chips. Having a rear cargo mat (OEM or aftermarket) has saved me with grocery runs that sometimes leak or hauling something wet or dirty in the rear. Washing a cargo mat is a lot easier than cleaning the rear hatch carpet. I also added a cargo net to use when needed to keep stuff from rolling around in the rear.

DriverOne 06-12-2019 09:57 PM

Do you have any pics of a clear bra? I always thought car bras looked terrible, like the leather ones. I like the concept, but there's no great execution.

Starseer 06-13-2019 10:59 AM

I have a Tech, so I bought a HUD from Amazon for about $30. It is powered by the OBD II slot and reflects the mph reading off the windshield. Although nowhere near as nice as Acura's OEM HUD, it keeps my on the road. The catch is that the HUD required calibration out of box, and some reviewers on Amazon said they had trouble with it. There is a 30 day return period and I would recommend to give it a try if you do not already have a HUD.

NooYawkuh 06-13-2019 11:45 AM

Floor and cargo mats are a must; OEM or otherwise, whatever you like. Splash guards are a good idea but I'm still debating them. I might have go through one Winter first to be completely convinced. I once made the mistake of getting the cargo cover. I never needed it, it just got in the way and it made noise open or closed, so it spent it's life in the corner of my garage.

I'm still waiting for WeatherTech to come out with the in-channel window visors. I'll get them as soon as they're available.

mrgold35 06-13-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by DriverOne (Post 16439167)
Do you have any pics of a clear bra? I always thought car bras looked terrible, like the leather ones. I like the concept, but there's no great execution.

I've seen older cars with crappy clear bra that are peeling and have dirt trapped along the edges. I had professionally installed 3M clear bra on my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX and they still look new. A lot of the new clear bra material will protect headlights from UV hazing along with normal road rash and pitting. Some clear bra films today also have "self healing" properties. They can repair themselves in direct sunlight when you have minor scratches. I'm having my 2019 Fathom Blue Pearl MDX clear bra on front end and ceramic coated everywhere else (getting the MDX back on 6/14). Very hard to see the clear bra if properly done by a pro.

DriverOne 06-13-2019 12:34 PM

NooYawkuh, I'm considering a cargo mat. Also kicking around the cargo protector, which apparently covers the backs of the back seats, but I don't know if that's overkill. Anyone have one of those?

mrgold, OK, I didn't know you were referring to a film. I thought you meant a car bra like those old style black leather bras that went over the front ends of sedans. Those always looked tacky to me. I probably won't do anything like that right now. My car has very light swirl marks -- I guess the dealer washed the car poorly, but it's not terrible. But if I wanted any film or ceramic coating applied, I probably would want to get paint correction. But like I said, I'm not really a car guy so I would have a tough time justifying to myself dropping thousands of dollars on an almost-new car. I guess I would wait until it actually needed real paint correction and then do it all?

al28 06-14-2019 09:37 AM

I have...cargo mat, splash guards, and oem floor mats.

I don't have the remote fob as I dislike the awfully short range on the key. Acuralink App's range is far superior. I can start it while I'm on the check out line in the store, inside a mall. And by the time I'm back at the car, it's comfortable inside.

DriverOne 06-14-2019 02:29 PM

Does the OEM cargo mat come in two pieces? I saw one on sale at Amazon that is supposed to be OEM but it has a small piece that is not really connected that fits on the right hand side wheel area.

Also, I saw that you can buy a screen protector for the Infotainment screen, if anyone is interested. It's sort of useless, since you don't touch the screen, but you could scratch the glass while cleaning it. I'm considering that, too.

mrgold35 06-14-2019 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by DriverOne (Post 16440106)
Also, I saw that you can buy a screen protector for the Infotainment screen, if anyone is interested. It's sort of useless, since you don't touch the screen, but you could scratch the glass while cleaning it. I'm considering that, too.

I get a really bad glare on the bottom touch screen at certain angles with 19 MDX dual screen set-up (top screen has a shade hood). Putting a film on the touch screen really helped with the glare in direct sunlight. Film might also be helpful if the RDX screen has the same issue?

NooYawkuh 06-14-2019 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by DriverOne (Post 16440106)
Does the OEM cargo mat come in two pieces? I saw one on sale at Amazon that is supposed to be OEM but it has a small piece that is not really connected that fits on the right hand side wheel area.

Yes it comes with an extra piece that goes on the right side. It secures with a tab that slips in between the two surfaces. The left side has a well.

The OEM cargo tray itself folds to allow you to get to the compartment underneath. The after-market ones I've seen don't appear to do that. Maybe some do but I don't know and that's why I went with the OEM.

Dizzyg12 06-14-2019 07:29 PM

A second rdx to drive when this one goes into the shop? 🤷🏻♂️ Sorry I kid! 😂

I got the rear seat covers for the kids and dog

DriverOne 06-14-2019 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12 (Post 16440181)
A second rdx to drive when this one goes into the shop? 🤷🏻♂️ Sorry I kid! 😂

I got the rear seat covers for the kids and dog

Are those like a neoprene? Is it basically like sitting on rubber?

NooYawkuh 06-14-2019 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by DriverOne (Post 16440185)

I've heard it described as like SCUBA material. It looks and fits nice and it accommodates the split seat and fold-down armrest. The WeatherTech just appears to be one single cover. But I've read that the OEM is very difficult to install. That's the only thing that makes me balk. But I have a Bernese Mountain Dog that is hard on car seats, so I'll have to do something. Not to mention my mother-in-law is a filthy pig.

OEM:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...a0a522c4fc.jpg

WeatherTech:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...fac7ee48a5.jpg

DriverOne 06-14-2019 09:17 PM

LOL, the WeatherTech one looks terrible. It's like you're driving around with a futon in back.

NooYawkuh 06-14-2019 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by DriverOne (Post 16440233)
LOL, the WeatherTech one looks terrible. It's like you're driving around with a futon in back.

Plaid anyone?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7e4f56e594.jpg

DriverOne 06-14-2019 09:51 PM

"Don't mind me, I'm just having a picnic in your car."

DriverOne 06-14-2019 09:54 PM

Although even the OEM one would look bad with my car, since I have the grey interior.

Wander 06-14-2019 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by DriverOne (Post 16440233)

Well, that brings back some memories... :naughty:

But back to the current reality of life with kids and/or dogs, there was an issue with some Honda/Acura OEM seat covers staining light upholstery. I don't know what material those covers were, of if the issue is fully resolved.

DriverOne 06-14-2019 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 16440251)
Well, that brings back some memories... :naughty:

He used to move furniture, LOL. :)

Madd Dog 06-15-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by DriverOne (Post 16439167)

I have some pics of a clear bra, but they are NSFW.

vater 06-17-2019 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by al28 (Post 16439928)

I don't have the remote fob as I dislike the awfully short range on the key.

I suspect that auto makers are doing this on purpose because of SARA (Signal Amplification Relay Attack) attacks. Some car thieves have a device that can communicate to key fobs in range to open doors and even start cars. They sell RFID blocking pouches that you can put your key fobs in to prevent this.

vater 06-17-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Starseer (Post 16439377)
I have a Tech, so I bought a HUD from Amazon for about $30.

do you mind sharing the link?

DriverOne 06-17-2019 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by vater (Post 16440802)
do you mind sharing the link?

If you just go to Amazon and search "heads up display for cars," it will give you lots of results. Keep in mind the displays are not the same as a manufacturer HUD. The manufacturer HUD projects the information onto the windshield. Often, these after-market HUDs seem to have a plastic screen that it projects the information onto.

vater 06-17-2019 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by DriverOne (Post 16440863)
If you just go to Amazon and search "heads up display for cars," it will give you lots of results. Keep in mind the displays are not the same as a manufacturer HUD. The manufacturer HUD projects the information onto the windshield. Often, these after-market HUDs seem to have a plastic screen that it projects the information onto.

Thanks, will do. Where is the port you plug it into located in the RDX? under the drive or passenger side dash? how easy was it to run the cable down to it and how visible is it?

DriverOne 06-17-2019 11:48 AM

I have no idea because I have an Advance, so I have a manufacturer HUD. :tongue: Sorry!

Dizzyg12 06-18-2019 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by DriverOne (Post 16440185)

Wetsuit like material. Won’t absorb anything. Easy to clean. Fits fairly snug so it doesn’t bubble up and bunch up in any areas.

OAcuraFanBoyO 06-20-2019 07:39 AM

I am looking for some kind of 3M protection may be? my previous cars ended up having scratches in the door handle area mainly.
Any suggestions for that?

Madd Dog 06-20-2019 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh (Post 16440246)

Good if you have a Scotch Terrier.

DriverOne 06-20-2019 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16442145)
Good if you have a Scotch Terrier.

Is that a terrier that is sticky? :tomato:

mathnerd88 06-20-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by OAcuraFanBoyO (Post 16442142)
I am looking for some kind of 3M protection may be? my previous cars ended up having scratches in the door handle area mainly.
Any suggestions for that?

You can always get that door film protection accessory from Acura. They have it both for the handle and in the inner part.

DriverOne 06-21-2019 04:55 PM

Anyone have any recommendations for side window shades? Also, is it legal to drive with a driver's side side window shade? (I'm thinking no, since it would block your own vision, but just asking.) I got my windshield screen, but obviously it only works if the sun is hitting it head on, so I'm going to go all out and shade my side windows, too.

DriverOne 06-28-2019 01:56 PM

Update: I purchased an OEM cargo mat, which is great. I also bought window shades that stick onto the window. They're OK. They do stick very well, block out sun, and can be seen through. However, they're just rectangles, so they do not provide full coverage of the window and therefore look sort of cheap (which is probably because they are, ha ha). They're inexpensive enough that I'm not terribly upset by it. I haven't tried driving with them, since I just got them today and immediately stuck them on, but I don't need to drive anywhere. I also bought the silicone license plate holder and some clear license plate covers, which I haven't tried yet. Lastly, I got the screen protector for the infotainment screen. That should be the last thing I get. I'm pretty happy with it all.

AnnetteFL 06-28-2019 02:53 PM

I have a '17 RDX base, black. It came with a clear 3M film that went halfway up the hood and also around the door handles. I just looked at the sticker price and it's not listed as an option, nor did I pay any extra for it. When I first got the car, I noticed there were swirl marks under the film, so they removed and replaced it. I am ready to turn the car in and have quite a few marks from lovebugs that are not coming off, so I guess they can just remove the film and voila, problem will be solved. I've got to remember to clean off those bugs immediately next time!

catalytic_ca 06-28-2019 11:56 PM

I would recommend the following things:

• Snow Tires and Rims if you live in an area that receives snow
  • Floor and Cargo Liners
  • Ceramic Tint for the Front Side windows and windshield (needs to be very light on the front windshield, 80+% VLT, otherwise you will get stopped by cops)
  • Sun shield / reflector for windshield
  • Cell Phone holder (vent-mounted) if you have an Android phone

Dereileak 06-29-2019 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by catalytic_ca (Post 16446225)
I would recommend the following things:

• Snow Tires and Rims if you live in an area that receives snow
  • Floor and Cargo Liners
  • Ceramic Tint for the Front Side windows and windshield (needs to be very light on the front windshield, 80+% VLT, otherwise you will get stopped by cops)
  • Sun shield / reflector for windshield
  • Cell Phone holder (vent-mounted) if you have an Android phone

with 80% VLT you won’t even be able to tell you have tint on the car 😂

DriverOne 06-29-2019 08:00 AM

This probably sounds terrible to people on an auto forum, but I have never and do not believe I ever will change my tires seasonally. I can't imagine buying another set of tires and storing them somewhere and switching them out. In fact, I'm so bad about my tires that I won't change them until I'm told I have to at some state inspection. That's a true and embarrassing story. The guy was like "uh ...your tires are totally rotted (or something, I forget what he actually said)." Hilariously, he still let me pass inspection, so you can tell how much he cared about his job. With the Acura, I won't be that bad, but I'm definitely not planning on buying more tires.

catalytic_ca 06-29-2019 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dereileak (Post 16446246)
with 80% VLT you won’t even be able to tell you have tint on the car ��

Yeah, that's exactly the point. Unfortunately, a lot of jurisdictions forbid any tint whatsoever on the front windshield. I wonder if they wrote those rules before ceramic tint with 80% VLT came out...

It's funny, I can't remember which forum it was, but somebody was asking for opinions on tinting their front windshield, and some people were all over the guy, saying he was dumb and that it was risky to even block a tiny bit of light... that it could make the difference in hitting someone or being in an accident.. I didn't want to join the forum just to respond, but I was dying to ask them if they've ever seen 80% VLT in person. As you say, it's almost undetectable.

catalytic_ca 06-29-2019 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by DriverOne (Post 16446269)
This probably sounds terrible to people on an auto forum, but I have never and do not believe I ever will change my tires seasonally.

But where do you live? If you live in the city and it doesn't get too cold or snowy, you might not need them.