Any negative points?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
When the local dealer told me that I was already in conversation with the dealer in Nashville. They said they get them all the time. Told them what I wanted (2012 TL) and he said it was inbound on the next truck. Have been driving it ever since.

Right now the dealer in Nashville has a down payment on a '19 RDX SH-AWD Advanced. Didn't even try the local dealer.

Billy
Old 07-04-2018, 09:07 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Picked up mine today, so far zero complaints. The touch pad does take some getting used to and it takes gorilla strength to move the sliding armrest forward lol.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Congrats to you both! We’re you able to get any off msrp or discounts?
Old 07-05-2018, 02:10 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by MTD
Picked up mine today, so far zero complaints. The touch pad does take some getting used to and it takes gorilla strength to move the sliding armrest forward lol.
When you want to move the armrest forward, you have to press the release that you usually press to lift the cover.
The following users liked this post:
MTD (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 03:41 AM
Racer

I got the $1000 loyalty discount and I feel like they gave me some extra on the trade in. I have asked for some accessories, so I guess there is still something they might give me.

The build date is July 15th.

Billy
Old 07-05-2018, 07:05 AM
Instructor

Nice...it seems $1k-2K is the max people are getting, and the variation disc. seems to be solely based on the particular dealership.

What color did you order?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Racer

Modern Steel Metallic is the color we ordered. My wife wanted ebony seats, we were a little limited in the Advanced package.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:01 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by billyt1963
I got the $1000 loyalty discount and I feel like they gave me some extra on the trade in. I have asked for some accessories, so I guess there is still something they might give me.

The build date is July 15th.

Billy
Did you get the loyalty discount by financing with Acura, or because you recently owned or leased another Acura, or did they just throw it in the deal?
Old 07-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Racer

I asked for the loyalty discount before we knew who the car was going to be finananced with, so I assume it was because of past purchase.

Billy
DWG (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by TxLady
Kinda crazy. Maybe the markup isn’t there?
More likely they don’t want to have to explain the advantage of SH-AWD to customers since Acura has not bothered other than on the web site. And since most average customers in the south will say they don’t need AWD since we don’t get much if any snow and the dealer does not want inventory thy can’t easily move.
Madd Dog (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL

More likely they don’t want to have to explain the advantage of SH-AWD to customers since Acura has not bothered other than on the web site. And since most average customers in the south will say they don’t need AWD since we don’t get much if any snow and the dealer does not want inventory thy can’t easily move.
Yeah. Most, if not the majority of people have no clue what the AWD difference is between the 2018 AWD and the 2019 AWD.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL

Despite what Acura wants to believe, most RDX buyer won’t care about SH-AWD as long as it’s AWD when they want it. And most buyers woouldnt know the difference between Quattro, 4matic or SH-AWD.

I am talking about those buyers that don’t even know this forum exists....

Old 07-06-2018, 12:07 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
Despite what Acura wants to believe, most RDX buyer won’t care about SH-AWD as long as it’s AWD when they want it. And most buyers woouldnt know the difference between Quattro, 4matic or SH-AWD.

I am talking about those buyers that don’t even know this forum exists....

Agree.
Acura is trying with their ongoing efforts to link the NSX's stellar handling attributes to the rest of their lineup. But few Acura buyers will ever get to drive an NSX, or even see one, so the "Torque Vectoring Sport Hybrid" thing just doesn't seem to resonate with the general car-buying public.

And their silly attempt to tie the "dynamic mode" knob to the somewhat more functional one in the NSX is similarly flawed. But it's all about "branding". Whatever.

I wonder how successful Chevy would be if they decided Silverados had to have the same dash and controls as Corvettes.

( Pet Peeve alert! )
Old 07-06-2018, 06:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
...And their silly attempt to tie the "dynamic mode" knob to the somewhat more functional one in the NSX is similarly flawed. But it's all about "branding". Whatever....
It's interesting how people feel about that feature. I thought it may have been a bit of a marketing gimmick myself until I tried it. There is a definite change in driving dynamics between modes (didn't try 'Snow') and I can see how I might switch around depending on where I'm driving and my mood at any particular moment in time. My '14 Cadillac had kind of the same feature, but differently implemented, and the RDX dynamics change noticeably more than the Caddy did - which is a good thing.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
It's interesting how people feel about that feature. I thought it may have been a bit of a marketing gimmick myself until I tried it. There is a definite change in driving dynamics between modes (didn't try 'Snow') and I can see how I might switch around depending on where I'm driving and my mood at any particular moment in time. My '14 Cadillac had kind of the same feature, but differently implemented, and the RDX dynamics change noticeably more than the Caddy did - which is a good thing.
but, but.. it's a big knob.....
Old 07-06-2018, 06:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Don't look at it - just find it by feel.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Don't look at it - just find it by feel.
Feel the Force....
Old 07-06-2018, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

They are trying to compensate.... Look! It's got the biggest button in it's class, no European competitors have ever come close...
Old 07-06-2018, 07:41 AM
Suzuka Master

They are trying to compensate.... Look! It's got the biggest button in it's class, no European competitors have ever come close...
Old 07-06-2018, 08:28 AM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
they are trying to compensate.... Look! It's got the biggest button in it's class, no european competitors have ever come close...
rotfl
Old 07-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Registered TL Owner

In Acura speak it would be “Best in class dynamic mode selection with the largest knob ever used in an Acura; an RDX first.”
Old 07-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pnoi521

In Acura speak it would be “Best in class dynamic mode selection with the largest knob ever used in an Acura; an RDX first.”
Old 07-13-2018, 03:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First RDX without a cd player!
Old 07-13-2018, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Russell Dion
First RDX without a cd player!
I for one don't see that as a negative. At one time I would have but in the last 6 or 7 years I haven't used a CD in a car - and I haven't used one at all in my last 2 vehicles. Between flash drives, Bluetooth and satellite radio there's no need IMO.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:07 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by nuke
For me the main negative may be questionable reliability issues and bugs with the first generation and in addition the extra cost of premium fuel. Having said that, I am the owner of a 2004 TSX, purchased in the spring of 2003...one of the first to arrive on our shores. I did not put myself on a waiting list at that time but quickly purchased after I test drove a few times when the dealers had demos. Still was able to negotiate around a $1000. discount. The TSX had been previously proven throughout other countries as the Honda Accord however. The car has been reliable, peppy and comfortable with just over 200000 km on it now and I was about to purchase a Honda CRV this summer to replace my wife's Nissan XTrail, (similar to the CRV, never sold in the US but popular throughout other areas of the world.). I drove the new CRV extensively on the highway, in the city, etc on a few occasions...probably drove sales staff crazy but his is what I do, nice comfortable vehicle with adequate power . I also drove the Mazda CX5 and Volvo XC40. The TSX will stay with us and also will be used in a trip to the west coast and to Northern BC this summer. Will wait and see, likely deferring a decision until next winter. THere were several issues with the update of the CRV....vibration etc and this took a year or two to work out.
I know this is an old post, but saw your comment about the CRV and vibration issues. I traded in a 2015 CRV for my new 2019 RDX Advance. I had nicknamed the CRV the CR-Vibrator. I noticed some earlier posts against buying the first model year of the new RDX, but I think manufacturers make so many changes year to year that you never know what will happen. The 2015 CRV was a mid cycle refresh of the model they introduced in 2012, so it was not a first model year, but is was such a pain from the moment I drove it off the lot (it was ordered, and I didn't test drive it before taking delivery, a mistake I won't make again). Honda changed the engine and added a CVT, and the thing vibrated at various speeds. Honda did all kinds of things to reduce the vibrations - dampener in tailgate, new struts, computer tweaks, alignments, high speed balancing, even new headrests on the front seats.There was even a class action lawsuit. It improved after 18 months of dealer visits, but mine still vibrated on the highway above 68 mph, and was at its worst at 72. I was a bit concerned with getting an Acura, especially since I told Honda customer service that I'd never buy another Honda, but I love the RDX so far, and I hope Honda pays a bit more attention to the Acura line.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DrWoo
...but I think manufacturers make so many changes year to year that you never know what will happen....
True, I'm currently driving a Gen 3 Toyota Highlander (had 2 previously, a Gen 1 and a Gen 2) that was introduced with the '14 model year. Through the '16 MY customer satisfaction was very good but in '17 the drive train was changed and satisfaction plummeted. IMO the changes were significant enough that it should have been classified as a Gen 4 (or at least 3.5). Admittedly those changes were done to meet CAFE requirement but they were still changes and did not do anything to improve driveability. Along the way Toyota kept adding content but tried to hold the line on price as much as possible so there was some slippage in the overall quality - mine has over twice the little squeaks and rattles as the previous 2 combined. While on paper the Gen 3 is an improvement I personally find it less satisfying than the previous 2.

I also had a '14 Cadillac SRX that I enjoyed immensely (except for mileage). It was the 5th model year of that product cycle and the, IMO, best. In '15 they started decontenting by removing features. It's replacement, the XT5, is nowhere near the same vehicle and is grossly overpriced for what you get - and the deal killer for me at the moment has auto S/S that cannot be turned off.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Instructor

I’m not sure if this is a problem or operator ignorance ( so much to digest technically with this new model). Does the ACC and LKAS light stay on when you start up the car? When we got ours...it had 42 miles on it, so at least a couple others test drove it before we did and ultimately purchased it. No telling what buttons were pushed.

I’ve noticed since we got it, these two lights come on and stay lit up each time weve driven it. I just started researching the owners manual and it says if they stay lit up to take it to a dealer, but I’m not sure if (cause I haven’t tried it yet) there’s a way to disengage it...in case someone turned something on before we got it.

Just thought I’d ask. We only have 70 miles on her so far. I can only find the “take to the dealer” instruction in the manual (that I have found so far), and nothing that indicates that these lights should be on - and stay on when the car is started.

2019 RDX Advance FWD (Modern Steel / Greystone)
Old 07-18-2018, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Per the O.M. (Page 467) pressing the 'MAIN' button on the right side of the steering wheel should turn them off. Can't help with actual experience because mine's not here yet.
TxLady (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Per the O.M. (Page 467) pressing the 'MAIN' button on the right side of the steering wheel should turn them off. Can't help with actual experience because mine's not here yet.
That is correct, if the "Main" button on the right side of the steering wheel, above the cruise control settings will toggle those lights on and off.
TxLady (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
That is correct, if the "Main" button on the right side of the steering wheel, above the cruise control settings will toggle those lights on and off.
The setting for the "Main" button stays for each restart, which I like. That is, if you have ACC and LKAS on, they will stay on when you restart the engine. You do have to engage them each time, toggle the ACC button down to set, turn on the LKAS button, but each one is just a tap away. I leave the Main button on all the time.
TxLady (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
I dont use the LKAS yet but I like the ACC. It works well in the heavy traffic we have here in Houston. I am still trying to manage it to keep the proper distance of not too close or far. I dont want others to get angry for driving to slow wile using it.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
I dont use the LKAS yet but I like the ACC. It works well in the heavy traffic we have here in Houston. I am still trying to manage it to keep the proper distance of not too close or far. I dont want others to get angry for driving to slow wile using it.
The LKAS works as it should. It will even take a small curve for you. It will let you know if you have your hands off the wheel for long
Old 07-18-2018, 03:37 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

I’m not sure if this is a problem or operator ignorance ( so much to digest technically with this new model). Does the ACC and LKAS light stay on when you start up the car? When we got ours...it had 42 miles on it, so at least a couple others test drove it before we did and ultimately purchased it. No telling what buttons were pushed.

I’ve noticed since we got it, these two lights come on and stay lit up each time weve driven it. I just started researching the owners manual and it says if they stay lit up to take it to a dealer, but I’m not sure if (cause I haven’t tried it yet) there’s a way to disengage it...in case someone turned something on before we got it.

Just thought I’d ask. We only have 70 miles on her so far. I can only find the “take to the dealer” instruction in the manual (that I have found so far), and nothing that indicates that these lights should be on - and stay on when the car is started.

2019 RDX Advance FWD (Modern Steel / Greystone)
Just in case you didn't know....and the first item, you may know....the complete Owner's Manual, and the Navigation Manual can be downloaded to your computer.
Also, you can order a complete set of...wait...I know we all can't believe this...LOL.....PAPER copies of all the manuals for ZERO cost shipped to your house. I get a set for each Acura I buy. I'm waiting for my RDX "books" to arrive
as we write! Man are they thick!! Tons of pages. What does that say about these new vehicles with SO much techy stuff. we used to get along just fine without??? Oey!!

I never needed LKAS or ANY of the nanny stuff. Never hit anyone my entire driving life....knock on wood! I've been hit twice. Not my fault. And no new car nanny system would have prevented either "hit." But, I digress!!! LOL!

You can order the "books" from the Acura Owner's Site. IF you are not signed in there, do so. It will list your Acuras owned....and give you instant access to "things" you may need to know, order etc. Also, the down loads for books
one time, for free. Just put in your info...RDX VIN # and what books you want. They will email you confirmation of your order and let you know it/they are on the way.

It's so much easier sitting in your RDX with the book in your hands working through the "systems." Without the books...and it's on your computer, then you have to take the time to find the pages you want to learn from...then print them
then take to your RDX. To print ALL the pages in the Owner's Manual would use up all your printer ink and paper!!! LOL!!! And that doesn't even include the "other manual....Navigation!!" Ton more pages!
Yes, I did forget about you folks that are more techy than me. You could take your smart phone and read it there or your tablet, etc. How old am I?? LOL!! I just like the paper book in my hands as I quickly shift through pages, etc.
Easy enough.

Where's my 1970 Pinto when I need it??? LOL!!!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Yes, I did forget about you folks that are more techy than me. You could take your smart phone and read it there or your tablet, etc. How old am I?? LOL!! I just like the paper book in my hands as I quickly shift through pages, etc.
Easy enough.
I also ordered the printed Owner's Manual and Navigation Manual.
Got a nice email saying to allow 5 weeks to print and ship.
Acura's printer must be Johannes Gutenberg

Old 07-18-2018, 07:39 PM
Instructor

The LKAS works as it should. It will even take a small curve for you. It will let you know if you have your hands off the wheel for long
Just so I understand, if the lights are on does that mean that the ACC and LKAS are on and engaged? I didn’t set the Cruse Control to any specific mph and didn’t notice any LKAS indications (but on the latter...I might be a straight driver )
Old 07-18-2018, 08:09 PM
Registered TL Owner

If it says LKAS and ACC the systems are just on standby. If you see lane markers on the screen that are hollow LKAS is engaged, but not active. Once the lines are solid white then LKAS is active (above 45 MPH and has detected the lane markers). If you see an outline of a vehicle on the screen then ACC is engaged, but not active. Once there is a picture of a vehicle then ACC has detected and locked onto a vehicle ahead of you and is active. The set speed for ACC will be displayed under the vehicle outline or picture of a vehicle. Hope that helps
Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Oh, and Cat? I’ve ordered manuals as well. I attempted to download the manuals on my IPad (in Kindle app,) but the format was not compatible. So today, I Saved them as pdf’s and was able to get them on INotes...so at least I now have them on my I-pad.

to all: love everyone’s help! Can’t thank you enough!!!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pnoi521
If it says LKAS and ACC the systems are just on standby. If you see lane markers on the screen that are hollow LKAS is engaged, but not active. Once the lines are solid white then LKAS is active (above 45 MPH and has detected the lane markers). If you see an outline of a vehicle on the screen then ACC is engaged, but not active. Once there is a picture of a vehicle then ACC has detected and locked onto a vehicle ahead of you and is active. The set speed for ACC will be displayed under the vehicle outline or picture of a vehicle. Hope that helps
Excellent! Thank you. That explains a lot!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Oh, and Cat? I’ve ordered manuals as well. I attempted to download the manuals on my IPad (in Kindle app,) but the format was not compatible. So today, I Saved them as pdf’s and was able to get them on INotes...so at least I now have them on my I-pad.

to all: love everyone’s help! Can’t thank you enough!!!
Download the pdf and save it, using that square box with the up arrow, to the ibooks app.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:06 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
TxLady I suggest you just start the car first and press the button while sitting there to get a feel how it works. If in traffic, you can try the ACC to get a feel for it.
TxLady (07-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Any negative points?