Any negative points?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:32 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by starlord
woops forgot to include the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ1H8_Xn07Y&t=323s
Plus add...$400 for the "special paint colors."
Old 05-29-2018, 04:37 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Inability to open close front center HVAC vents is a negative (most honda acura models have this problem).
Having independent fan speed and/or air flow mode (5G TL had) for driver and passenger would have been nice.
I saw that the surround view camera is very low res. and downsized so that it doesn't fill up entire screen.
Advance wheels are ugly.
Power folding mirrors would have been nice on advance model.
Havent heard anything about remote start except that it may be app based now. 4G LTE
Old 05-29-2018, 04:48 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by burn1010
Havent heard anything about remote start except that it may be app based now. 4G LTE
Makes sense, since everyone and their grandmas have a smartphone these days. More than likely, it will be tied to an AcuraLink subscription.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Doesn't that 19" accessory wheel look like they just took a can of black paint and sprayed the Base/Tech wheel?
That's precisely what it is. If you look closely, you'll notice the Standard and Technology wheels are the same, too. The Standard wheel is just painted solid silver, while the Tech has darker painted pockets with a machined face.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:11 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
I honestly cannot think of any major weaknesses. If I were a Lexus/German Luxury car executive, I would be having many sleepless nights right now
LOL, I don't think the Germans or Lexus are in any way concerned. Have you ever driven an X3?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:25 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
LOL, I don't think the Germans or Lexus are in any way concerned. Have you ever driven an X3?
Yes.

Does $10,000 mean anything, or is it how-much-a-month to lease?

And I really don’t think anyone has driven a Lexus.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Plus add...$400 for the "special paint colors."
Yep. The AWD Advance will pretty much cost $49K if you want it in red or black.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:05 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by burn1010
Inability to open close front center HVAC vents is a negative (most honda acura models have this problem).
Having independent fan speed and/or air flow mode (5G TL had) for driver and passenger would have been nice.
I saw that the surround view camera is very low res. and downsized so that it doesn't fill up entire screen.
Advance wheels are ugly.
Power folding mirrors would have been nice on advance model.
Remote start is an "Accessory" to be bought from the dealer...and installed.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I think a huge negative point will be the simple fact that Acura will be (justly so) be asking for MSRP on the RDX while the Germans currently have incentives on their offerings. So for I'd say, at least 4-6 months, I don't see there being any real price advantage to the RDX. Something to consider. I love the front end of the Acura but for roughly the same price, I don't think I'd be able to turn down a Q5.. especially with Audi's much improved reliability.
The following users liked this post:
JoelEDC (05-30-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 08:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TLX17
I think a huge negative point will be the simple fact that Acura will be (justly so) be asking for MSRP on the RDX while the Germans currently have incentives on their offerings. So for I'd say, at least 4-6 months, I don't see there being any real price advantage to the RDX. Something to consider. I love the front end of the Acura but for roughly the same price, I don't think I'd be able to turn down a Q5.. especially with Audi's much improved reliability.

From investment gurus: the market is what the market is.

If Acura can get MSRP, that is what the market will pay. For 10K, I make one choice. For 2 or 3, I make another.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow, the car isn't even out yet, and we already have 5 pages of people pissing and moaning about petty BS.

Acura could sell the NSX for Kia Optima money, and the internet would still b!tch about it.
a35tl (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

From investment gurus: the market is what the market is.

If Acura can get MSRP, that is what the market will pay. For 10K, I make one choice. For 2 or 3, I make another.
Very much agree. But my point is that there is no $10K difference anymore. Granted, one can probably option out a ridiculously-loaded X3 or GLC with dozens of options to make that kind of price difference when compared to an RDX, but quite frankly, I doubt a prospective buyer looking for every bell and whistle on a Mercedes is seriously even considering an Acura.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

...and I'm talking about actually paid, OTD pricing, not MSRP on the Audi/BMW website.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy

I honestly cannot think of any major weaknesses. If I were a Lexus/German Luxury car executive, I would be having many sleepless nights right now
I think Lexus would be more worried than the German brands, except for the fact that the new RDX will be competing with the NX, which Lexus does not sell many of anyway. Lexus sells tons of RXs, but the RDX will not really compete with the RX, since it is much smaller.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Warrenty

Big ouch. Current model RDX has 70k miles / 72 mos.warrenty. New RDX has 50k miles / 48 mos. warrenty. Am I the only one bothered by this?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I think Lexus would be more worried than the German brands, except for the fact that the new RDX will be competing with the NX, which Lexus does not sell many of anyway. Lexus sells tons of RXs, but the RDX will not really compete with the RX, since it is much smaller.
I know many compare the RDX to the NX but I really feel like it it falls in between the RX and NX. The RDX is bigger than the NX but not quote as big as the RX. However, the RX has less cargo space than the RDX. My wife really wants the RX but I can't justify paying an additional 15K for a car that has slightly more space and less cargo space.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tobey457
Wow, the car isn't even out yet, and we already have 5 pages of people pissing and moaning about petty BS.

Acura could sell the NSX for Kia Optima money, and the internet would still b!tch about it.
Hence the forum topic "Any negative points?" No doubt there are a lot of good things happening with the new RDX, but some negative things as well. Not sure what you want us to talk about then?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by TxLady
Big ouch. Current model RDX has 70k miles / 72 mos.warrenty. New RDX has 50k miles / 48 mos. warrenty. Am I the only one bothered by this?

Huge negative. I guess they aren’t too confident with all that new tech.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
guys-did I miss something? When did Acura reduce warranty? VW increases so Acura who has had tranny issues reduces?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
standard on Civic EX-T
Old 05-30-2018, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
where are you seeing this? I can’t find anything about Powertrain warranty.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd

I could not find anything specific about the 2019 RDX, but I was able to find warranty information about the 2019 TLX. For the TLX, the warranty is 4 year/50k miles overall, with a 6 year/72k miles powertrain warranty. I doubt the RDX has a different warranty, especially since the documentation refers to 2019 Acura models, not the TLX specifically.

http://owners.acura.com/Documentum/W...k_BWL07532.pdf
Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Unhappy Lowering drivetrain warranty?? !!! :(

Yes, I am. What it tells me is that Acura doesn't have much faith...or at least the same faith as with the great 3.5 V6!! I am disappointed and it sure doesn't say much for Acura "bragging about their all new RDX!"
I don't keep cars 4 yrs or 50k miles, so for me it doesn't matter....but, overall I think it's a bad PR mistake on their part.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:09 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
What do you mean? The current gen RDX has a 4yr/50k bumper to bumper and 6yr/70k powertrain. I would think the new one will have the same.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:15 PM
Intermediate

HALOGEN turn signals. Seriously?!

I was concerned that the back of the RDX didn't look "premium" enough. Now it definitely doesn't. When CR-V has all-LEDs, it's downright LAUGHABLE that the "luxury" division can't say the same.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:37 AM
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLX17
HALOGEN turn signals. Seriously?!

I was concerned that the back of the RDX didn't look "premium" enough. Now it definitely doesn't. When CR-V has all-LEDs, it's downright LAUGHABLE that the "luxury" division can't say the same.
As nobody is using turn signals in this country, this should not be a problem...
The following 3 users liked this post by exbaden:
jcardona1 (05-31-2018), Madd Dog (05-31-2018), ultramart (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 05:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
A few quick observations;

- I hate the Advance wheels, the tech wheels are better IMO
- Acura why not allow me to get Advance options in an A-Spec?
- Really incandescent for the rear turn signals and clear lens, yuck. Sure I can swap it out, but what a poor decision.
- Looking at Reline Review video the backup camera resolution is still marginal, look at a Volvo XC60 and be amazed
- I could care less about more under cargo storage and hate the spare being under the car (at least it has a spare)
- The navi maps still appear to be rather pale and outdated form what I can tell from the videos

I do not consider the button shifter a negative, far better than other implementations and actually does make the front cabin feel more open and airy. What confusing try a Genesis, it has a push button park button then shifter that toggles through D, N and REV, I can see people thinking they shifted to Park then taking foot off brake and rolling backward. I have made that confusion on almost every G80 test drive I have done.

Don't get me wrong it is a winner and my wife's RDX lease is up in October and she will get a 19, but just a few steps away from pure perfection.

My issue is this si good insight into the 20 TLX and my lease is up in 3 months. I was leaning toward a G80 Sport, but this encourages me to maybe extend my lease a year.

Last edited by KeithL; 05-31-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:25 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Alex on Auto's review only brought out two slightly negative points, slightly limited rear headroom and was not a fan of the center console dynamic mode button. Acura just hit a 550 foot home run.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iutodd

I've gone back to the many electronic documents I've read and have not been able to locate the information on reduced warranty...which is troubling to me as well. (This purchase is no easy decision for us...so all reading and videos have been carefully perused). In pulling up the 2019 Acura Competitive Comparison (distributed for dealers training), it indicates 4/50k for basic and 6/70k for drivetrain. For what it's worth...I'm happy of the new findings as well. My humble apologies.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:36 AM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
From the AutoWeek review:

I did get a chance to fling it through a slalom on a gravel road like a combination rally driver/drift king. For the gravel run, technicians had disabled all traction and stability control. Whee! I was powersliding through cones like I was on the pre-pavement Pikes Peak (where this car will run next month against a Bentley Bentayga, btw). What a blast it was in this driveline configuration, a true, rear-tire-spinnin’ boondoggle. Just one problem: Unless you are married to an Acura technician, one who really likes you, you won’t be able to replicate this level of tc-free hootinany behavior. Acura will not allow you to fully disable traction control like this. So my gravel run was something of a moot point.
???

This is the kind of driving I prefer. In fact since I have my Q5 I really enjoy going out to buy milk after a snow fall.

I would never buy a CRV just because the TCS is way too intrusive and there's no way to deactivate it.

Disabling the traction control is a must-have for me, at least enough to be able to drift the vehicle without the electronics stepping in and stopping all the fun. This is to be verified!
Old 05-31-2018, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thats’s impressive. The BMW X3 is one of the cars I’ve been looking at. The only thing that’s kept me from signing is the comments I’ve heard about their higher than average repair costs. Even simple things like oil changes, since they suggest a special oil. That's why I’ve decided to wait and check out the new RDX. The Acura TL has been about average for both service issues and repair cost. What has been your experience with your BMW?
We have owned two X3's, both purchased new. We had a first generation 2006 3.0i. We replaced that with a second generation 2011 35i.

I suggest browsing through the X3 forums at bimmerfest.com / bimmerpost.com for information and owner experiences on the model(s) / year(s) in which you are interested.

These comments apply to the 2011 X3 35i:
In summary its a great vehicle when under factory warranty / maintenance coverage, but a potential financial liability if not under some kind of long term warranty. This was primarily my wife's car. We both really liked it, was just about ideal for what we want in a vehicle. But then at just under 7 years old and slightly less than 53,000 miles we had issues with the vehicle, some were repairs and some were maintenance, both are expensive. The independent repair shop we used gave us an estimate of $4,000 to get the car back on the road. In addition, they told us there was an issue developing with the turbo and at some point that would need to be fixed- doubt that's inexpensive. This was on top of some expensive repair and maintenance items we had already encountered over the past 1 - 2 years.

We decided to trade in the X3. I was following the new 2019 RDX but this occurred in February, and I wanted to trade in the X3 ASAP, so I looked at a 2018 RDX. My other consideration was the new X3 M40i (turbo I-6), not apples to apples but two alternatives at two different price points. I did not consider the X3 28i (turbo I-4) because after owning 4 turbo I-6 powered BMW's I was spoiled by the power delivery.

I thought the 2018 RDX was a better value with hoped for lower cost of ownership so we bought that. If you do consider an X3 my recommendation is to decide on a strategy for not owning the car too far beyond the 3 year factory coverage; e.g., lease for 3 years and trade it in; purchase an extended warranty; ….

Bruce
TxLady (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:27 PM
Instructor

In checking out one of the BMW blogs...I noticed most either leased or traded in their cars at the end of it’s warrenty. Such a shame. The. 3 is fun to drive.

I really appreciate you honest information.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:33 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
In checking out one of the BMW blogs...I noticed most either leased or traded in their cars at the end of it’s warrenty. Such a shame. The. 3 is fun to drive.

I think that's how it goes with most of the European brands. Good cars in general but most would never think of owning one outside of warranty due to astronomical repair/maintenance costs.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the X3 is fun to drive. I would be curious in how the new 2019 RDX compares to the X3 30i in the fun to drive category. Would not be fair to compare it to the M40i.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
Two of my friends have a current generation X3, another has a 7 series, and my cousin had an X6. BMWs are overrated for what they charge in upgrades, options, and maintenance. The reliability is poor; few people drive them beyond warranty expiry. Overall, the 2019 RDX is better than the X3 at a lower price—it also accelerates faster and handles better with the 4th gen SHAWD. And the interior is more luxurious. Test drive one and you’ll see...

And remember I told you this: the 2019 RDX will bury the Lexus NX and take away many sales from the RX350z
jcardona1 (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a long time BMW guy, and "in the market" now for a replacement of my 535. Have looked extensively at at the X3 xDrive 30i and just considering alternatives. A well-equipped ($53k or so MSRP) X3 is $49K out the door without considering any rebates/incentives (right now there are only a few available depending on geography...so maybe $1500 or so for someone who qualifies for loyalty etc). That's comparable to an Advance RDX with no discount. Acura has never leased very well, and right now BMW is sort of in the same category (4% APR MF, unsupported RV's). So, do I go with what I'm familiar with, or take a chance on the new RDX? Not sure. My old MDX had its share of problems, while the last three BMWs have been flawless. But I'm intrigued by the RDX and will take a look at it when it gets to my local dealer. I miss the SH-AWD that was in my MDX...that is definitely something positive about the RDX.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:55 PM
Instructor

I’ve owned Acuras for over 20 yrs - this last one (a TL) for 15 and it still drives like dream and works great. The only major issues we’ve had with it were two recalls...a transmission (replaced free) and air bag (which affected millions),also replaced free. Other maintenance has been routine. So it’s easy to overlook problems others have had with other Acura models...so thank you for keeping it real.

The only reason we’re thinking about an upgrade/update to possibly an RDX ( or equivalent) is for traveling purposes. And your concern is well deserved, KevinMR, it requires a Leap of Faith to purchase a newly redesigned vehicle - any make or model. For now, I’m checking out all the reviews and comparisons. A sea of information. I’m anxious to hear how others do on their OTD price. Especially the Advance model.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With the bevy of reviews out today, one other less desirable thing came out. The infotainment take a long time to start up, and is slow to react to inputs. It may be related to the long development cycle or the accountants desire to save money, but the unmet expectation is for a responsive system.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:50 PM
Drifting

My 535i is 10 1/2 with 124K miles. Since it has been out of warranty, 6 1/2 years, I spent a total of $7400 on maintenance and repair, and that includes everything. Tires, inspections oil changes twice the frequency that BMW calls for, brakes, 2 full sets of plugs, etc., That is $100/month on repair and maintenance for a fully paid up car.

FWIW

BMWs are not fragile, they just cost more to buy and to maintain. But, IMO, they do everything better on the road. Whether it is as much better as it is more costly, that is for each person to decide.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:45 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by tallLeRoy
With the bevy of reviews out today, one other less desirable thing came out. The infotainment take a long time to start up, and is slow to react to inputs. It may be related to the long development cycle or the accountants desire to save money, but the unmet expectation is for a responsive system.
I noticed that too. Hopefully, Acura will continue to optimize the software to improve responsiveness. Another reason (for me anyway) not to jump into a first year production vehicle.

Quick Reply: Any negative points?