Any negative points?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 01:45 PM
GTF
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I think theses are a new design, just not a very good design. According to the specs, there appears to be a different 19" wheel for base, tech, and advance. I see only the advance wheel (& 20" A-Spec) so far. Hope the other two 19" wheels look good. Might be possible to switch at dealer.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
If there are different 19" wheels for base models, it's possible they'll be the ones photographed on the lightly camouflaged tester a few months ago. I certainly hope so, as they're far nicer than the Advance's 19's in my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
GTF (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 01:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
It's always been with the key and still is.

I was not clear on my question.

The above is how my Accord Operates: The Car has two seating positions, one associated with fob 1, and the other with fob 2. But you still only have the positions maintained in the car. There is a degree of customization with the car as well, and it looks like that stays with the car too.

In my BMW, my fob controls two seat/mirror settings, and all of the individual customizations. My wife’s key holds her two seat settings and her customizations.

It seems like with Honda/Acura, all the key does is choose seating position one or two.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
In the past that has been the case. Fob “one” has seat programed for the carrier of that fob and the same with fob “two”. If driver “one” uses driver “ two’s” fob...he gets driver “two’s” preprogrammed settings; however iin my antiquated but loved 2004 TL , there is a button on the door allowing you to reset after the fob has unlocked the door. Engaging the ignition doesn’t designate which program to adjust to, but unlocking the door with the fob does.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:15 PM
Drifting

I was hoping for something along these lines:

BMW Key Dependent Settings

Here is a list of various items that are stored for each key fob and get automatically changed when a specific key is used.
  • Unlocking and locking.
  • Lights.
  • Climate control.
  • Radio.
  • Instrument cluster.
  • Programmable memory buttons.
  • Volumes, tone.
  • Control Display.
  • Navigation.
  • Park Distance Control PDC.
  • Rearview camera
  • Side View.
  • Head-up Display.
  • Driving Dynamics Control.
  • Driver's seat position
  • Exterior mirror posi‐
  • Tion
  • Steering wheel position.
  • Cruise control.
  • Intelligent Safety.
  • Active Blind Spot Detection
Today's cars are so customizable that it would be good if my wife and I were to retain our preferred settings.
Tom_D (06-03-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GTF
I think theses are a new design, just not a very good design. According to the specs, there appears to be a different 19" wheel for base, tech, and advance. I see only the advance wheel (& 20" A-Spec) so far. Hope the other two 19" wheels look good. Might be possible to switch at dealer.
I had a 2015 RDX FWD Tech Pkg lease that I just turned in. Please see pic of my RDX below. The 2019 wheel style is exactly the same as the ones they had from '13 through (and including my) '15. I think they changed the base wheel to something much less attractive for '16 through '18, but it looks like they literally took the same 18's they had from 2013 through 2015 and put them on the 2019. Even if they enlarged them to 19's it's still the same wheel. I know....I cleaned them a thousand times lol.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

^ Similar, yes, but they're not exactly the same.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotRodW
If there are different 19" wheels for base models, it's possible they'll be the ones photographed on the lightly camouflaged tester a few months ago. I certainly hope so, as they're far nicer than the Advance's 19's in my opinion.

I found this photo. It appears that is a production wheel.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I was hoping for something along these lines:[B][/LIST]Today's cars are so customizable that it would be good if my wife and I were to retain our preferred settings.
Thats’s impressive. The BMW X3 is one of the cars I’ve been looking at. The only thing that’s kept me from signing is the comments I’ve heard about their higher than average repair costs. Even simple things like oil changes, since they suggest a special oil. That's why I’ve decided to wait and check out the new RDX. The Acura TL has been about average for both service issues and repair cost. What has been your experience with your BMW?
Old 05-28-2018, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

These we were on the advance I saw this week.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I really like that split five spoke wheel. Can't believe it is the base wheel

edit: actually... the more I look at both wheels, the more I like each. To be honest, I'm not overly a big fan of the A-Spec wheels. The color and size is nice, but the design looks like a daisy flower to me. Doesn't seem very sporty...

Last edited by TacoBello; 05-28-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

Okay, you know what, I take that back. They look pretty good too.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Instructor

I’m sure ya’ll saw this, but just in case you missed it this was posted earlier. (
). He says it will have “multiple wheel choices in more than one color”. At least there will be options...for a price.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Team Owner

Okay, you know what, I take that back. They look pretty good too.

The Advance wheels would look 1000% better if powder coated a similar color as the aspec wheels. So, who's gonna do it first?
Old 05-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TacoBello
The Advance wheels would look 1000% better if powder coated a similar color as the aspec wheels. So, who's gonna do it first?
If I were to buy an Advance, I'd replace the stock 19's with 20's, and powder coat the factory wheels metallic gray for winter duty.

Last edited by HotRodW; 05-28-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

^ Similar, yes, but they're not exactly the same.
We'll have to agree to disagree I guess. They are exactly the same style. As I mentioned I had a 2015 for the last three years and I actually loved the wheels....I just think it's a negative that Acura decided to put an old wheel on a new vehicle. It really stands out to me, and not in a good way since everything else seems to be genuinely new and improved. The only thing I can't say for sure is whether they are 18's like my 2015 was or 19's, but I have a feeling they are 18's and then you can upgrade to 19's or 20's on other trim levels. Please see this pic of the 2019 from a different angle and additional pics of the 2015 wheel for comparison. Of course the pics are taken from slightly different angles but it's definitely the same wheel. Someone also posted a video from YouTube on another thread here of a 2019 RDX in black...when you see it on video it's even more obvious it's the same wheel as my 2015.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoelEDC
We'll have to agree to disagree I guess. They are exactly the same style. As I mentioned I had a 2015 for the last three years and I actually loved the wheels....I just think it's a negative that Acura decided to put an old wheel on a new vehicle. It really stands out to me, and not in a good way since everything else seems to be genuinely new and improved. The only thing I can't say for sure is whether they are 18's like my 2015 was or 19's, but I have a feeling they are 18's and then you can upgrade to 19's or 20's on other trim levels. Please see this pic of the 2019 from a different angle and additional pics of the 2015 wheel for comparison. Of course the pics are taken from slightly different angles but it's definitely the same wheel. Someone also posted a video from YouTube on another thread here of a 2019 RDX in black...when you see it on video it's even more obvious it's the same wheel as my 2015.
Yes, we will have to agree to disagree. I don't see what you're seeing. They are similar in that there is a narrow spoke and broad spoke paired together, but the design of said spokes is clearly different, and the relative positioning of the narrow spoke is reversed.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:54 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

They are strikingly similar but I'm not sure why you believe they are "exactly the same". They are clearly different. Anybody should be able to see that. The 2019 wheels have a slight curve/flare to the star pattern.
​​
Old 05-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree. I don't see what you're seeing. They are similar in that there is a narrow spoke and broad spoke paired together, but the design of said spokes is clearly different, and the relative positioning of the narrow spoke is reversed.

I do see the distinction you show in these photos and I appreciate you pointing out the subtle differences, but 90% alike is close enough to be too close for me. I still think it's kind of strange that Acura would bring out any feature for the 2019 that is so much like that of a 4 year old model.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jcardona1
They are strikingly similar but I'm not sure why you believe they are "exactly the same". They are clearly different. Anybody should be able to see that. The 2019 wheels have a slight curve/flare to the star pattern.
​​
You and HotRodW are right. They are not exactly the same. They are almost exactly the same, and I still stand by my bottom line point which is....I think it's a negative for Acura to have any one feature (especially one that stands out like the wheels) on the '19 RDX that is so much like a four year old RDX.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TxLady
Thats’s impressive. The BMW X3 is one of the cars I’ve been looking at. The only thing that’s kept me from signing is the comments I’ve heard about their higher than average repair costs. Even simple things like oil changes, since they suggest a special oil. That's why I’ve decided to wait and check out the new RDX. The Acura TL has been about average for both service issues and repair cost. What has been your experience with your BMW?
Best car I ever owned. Everything is expensive. Everything. I use an Indy. He is a bit less expensive than the dealer on his hourly rate, but he uses BMW parts, so he costs only a little less. But he solves problems and doesn’t just throw parts at stuff, and does not over recommend or upsell. If you go in for an inspection and an oil change, you get an inspection and an oil change unless there is an actual problem uncovered.

The car is 10 1/2 years old with 124K miles. Actual repairs have been ~$2K over the whole life of the car. But all maintenance is expensive. I did European Delivery on a well-set up 2008 535. A similarly well-set up 540 (both cars are turbo sixes) would be north of $70K, and I won’t do that. The car still does sub 6 seconds on 0-60 and is more composed, comfortable, and in its performance envelope at 90 than my 2014 Accord is at 65.

I too am hoping the RDX provides what I am looking for. BMWs are so expensive to buy, own, and run. Similarly equipped, I put the X3 at $10K more than the RDX.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 05-28-2018 at 09:06 PM.
TxLady (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You and HotRodW are right. They are not exactly the same. They are almost exactly the same, and I still stand by my bottom line point which is....I think it's a negative for Acura to have any one feature (especially one that stands out like the wheels) on the '19 RDX that is so much like a four year old RDX.
I agree that they are strikingly similar (and very bland, IMO). However based on the youtube clip posted above I believe Acura purposely selected such an underwhelming rim design (on their TOP trim, no less) so that they could upsell the much sportier looking offerings (like the Advance style at the unveiling in March). Seems like Acura is really trying to milk every dime from buyers while they can, since there is finally a mainstream Acura model that is generating such widespread enthusiasm.
JoelEDC (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 01:43 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I found this photo. It appears that is a production wheel.

I believe these are accessory wheels.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:02 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
They are the production wheels for the base model. I believe the Tech wheels are same, but a darker gray color.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:27 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Here is the wheel info I found from Acura.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RDX Wheels.pdf (139.5 KB, 146 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by hondu:
HotRodW (05-29-2018), JoelEDC (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hondu
I appreciate seeing this info, since it's the first time anyone has presented what appears to be solid info from Acura instead of speculation. I am probably sounding like a broken record, but I still can't get over how much the Advance wheel looks like the wheel on the 2015 Tech Pkg. lease I just turned in. Not a plus in my opinion. And even at 19 inches there is something about the styling of that wheel that makes it look too small for the vehicle...much more so than the new base and Tech wheels do.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

That's a big fat 'negative'

Originally Posted by hondu
Thanks, hondu. I'm still finding it difficult to believe that Advance owners get what is arguably the ugliest of the available designs. And since there are no factory options/alternates, they will need to purchase accessory wheels or go to the aftermarket to get 20's. Both problems would be solved by offering an A-Spec appearance package on the Advance trim.

Here are the images from the pdf.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:16 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
So the Advance wheels in those picture look a lot darker than what we've seen so far. I wonder if it's just the lighting when the pictures were taken, or if production models do get them in dark grey (which looks a lot better IMO).
Old 05-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
So the Advance wheels in those picture look a lot darker than what we've seen so far. I wonder if it's just the lighting when the pictures were taken, or if production models do get them in dark grey (which looks a lot better IMO).
Yes, they look better, but I am still not a fan. I prefer the technology wheels. Because I am only considering the Advance, I may get the A-spec 20’s for my primary wheels and relegate the 19” flower power wheels to winter duty... depends on cost. Might be far cheaper to get some take-off Technology wheels.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by mattski

Yes, they look better, but I am still not a fan. I prefer the technology wheels. Because I am only considering the Advance, I may get the A-spec 20’s for my primary wheels and relegate the 19” flower power wheels to winter duty... depends on cost. Might be far cheaper to get some take-off Technology wheels.
Yup, I plan on getting the Advanced as well. From what I understand (new to the car world), its rarely ever smart to buy rims from the dealer from a cost point of view. Someone can tell me if i'm wrong. So, I'll probably just look for a pair of black after market rims once I get the vehicle. Unless of course the cost of getting the A-Spec ones (if that's even allowed) is reasonable.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SK1124
Yup, I plan on getting the Advanced as well. From what I understand (new to the car world), its rarely ever smart to buy rims from the dealer from a cost point of view. Someone can tell me if i'm wrong. So, I'll probably just look for a pair of black after market rims once I get the vehicle. Unless of course the cost of getting the A-Spec ones (if that's even allowed) is reasonable.
Yes, dealers tend to overcharge for wheels. On the plus side, you won't have to wonder how they'll look, the fitment is guaranteed, and the factory warranty applies. Still, it's rarely the smart way to go from a cost perspective, plus aftermarket wheels allow you to create a unique look, and you can get more aggressive with the fitment.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Yes, dealers tend to overcharge for wheels. On the plus side, you won't have to wonder how they'll look, the fitment is guaranteed, and the factory warranty applies. Still, it's rarely the smart way to go from a cost perspective, plus aftermarket wheels allow you to create a unique look, and you can get more aggressive with the fitment.
Changing my rims wont affect my warranty in any way right?
Old 05-29-2018, 03:16 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
From this video, there are optional 20" wheels. 2:55

Thanks, hondu. I'm still finding it difficult to believe that Advance owners get what is arguably the ugliest of the available designs. And since there are no factory options/alternates, they will need to purchase accessory wheels or go to the aftermarket to get 20's. Both problems would be solved by offering an A-Spec appearance package on the Advance trim.

Here are the images from the pdf.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
woops forgot to include the link.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Changing my rims wont affect my warranty in any way right?
No, it will not. Unless there's something wrong with the fitment that leads to damage or premature wear, that is.

Wheel width, offset, center bore, back spacing, etc can be a little overwhelming if you're new to aftermarket wheels, so if in doubt, go with a quality supplier like Tire Rack or Discount Tire, and you'll be fine.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by starlord
woops forgot to include the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ1H8_Xn07Y&t=323s

nice! Bet they will be like 3 grand (CDN) though for the black ones. The 18 inch alloy wheels offered on the 18 as an acessory was 3,122 CDN
ZipSpeed (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by starlord
From this video, there are optional 20" wheels. 2:55
Good eye. Those are the accessory wheels the Advance was wearing when it debuted in New York. There's also a 19" black accessory version of the Base's 19" wheel. You can bet they'll both be pricey. This is one area where Acura falls short of the competition. Some manufacturers would allow you to option wheels for prices ranging from no-charge to a thousand bucks or so. Acura forces you to buy a complete second set.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
I did mention this in a previous thread, but it looks like the RDX still has two incandescent lights on an almost all LED exterior. I'm hoping the inner housing with the 3 rectangles are the LED turn signals and that single bulb is just the reverse light. If the reverse light is incandescent, I can live with that as that's easy to swap to LED.

I honestly cannot think of any major weaknesses. If I were a Lexus/German Luxury car executive, I would be having many sleepless nights right now
Old 05-29-2018, 04:17 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts

nice! Bet they will be like 3 grand (CDN) though for the black ones. The 18 inch alloy wheels offered on the 18 as an acessory was 3,122 CDN
Doesn't that 19" accessory wheel look like they just took a can of black paint and sprayed the Base/Tech wheel? So Canadians are getting a Platinum Elite model with a unique wheel design that is suppose to be different than the Elite model. I wonder if either accessory wheel will be standard on the Platinum Elite.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:29 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

Not sure about in Canada....but, when I buy Accessories I always negotiate and get...25% off any Accessory and that includes wheels. Whew....still are costly, but, 25% off helps the hurt!! And, like what Rod said, you get
perfect fitment....hub centric and don't need to use alignment rings, and they are Acura warranted. So, IF they have a wheel I like better that's what I've been doing. Just did that on my new TLX A-Spec.

Quick Reply: Any negative points?