no spare tire ?
stop/start
push button shift
4 cylinder engine
10 speed AT ( rough ?)
low profile tires
big price increase
full moon roof - why ?
I agree with these "dislikes!" I am curious....and if anyone KNOWS for sure, but, I'm not sure about the stop/start feature on the '19 RDX. The 2.0 turbo Accord does not have it...I believe...so, I'm guessing the RDX won't????
If anyone knows...let us know.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by MTD
Cables, rods, arms, etc the point was that the shift level was necessary to move those mechanisms. The electronic computer controlled transmissions don't require the lever anymore. And yes, electrical components can fail just like mechanical components can. Ive had 3 dif Acuras with the push buttons and I don't have any complaints. Don't like it, then don't buy one.

"Damn computers! Get off my lawn!" shakes fist at sky.
Hear that folks! IF you don't like it....don't buy it! There you go, that's the answer. Then we won't need this site to talk about and discuss what we like, don't like...what we want, etc.

But, here's a big issue, and brought up by someone else here. So, I then have to look at other vehicles and....WHAT.....they have push button trans also!!! I'm surrounded.....the computers are taking over the world....AI will not let me
do anything on my own. THEY will do it all for me and I'm supposed to like it. We built you Mr. Computer and we can un-build you.....uhhhh....I hope!!!!! YIKES....get them off my lawn. Damn electrical contraptions! Where's my
Model T????

Don't like it...don't buy it. That's too simplistic....but, in this crazy changing world the designers and engineers aren't giving us many options to walk away. They are forcing us to "like it" and shoves them up our posteriors.
Life should be about choices and having them. MTD here "loves" push button trans. That's fine He should get what he wants. But, the majority don't....and should have what they want. But, many don't complain they just
"go along" with what is there and put up with it.

In time if enough complain and don't like how a product is made changes have happened. All convertibles were stopped being made due to Gov't concerns over safety, etc. Guess what....they came back didn't they? Why...'cause the
buying public wanted them. Will the "shifting arm" come back. Good question...I think they will in some similar form....but, maybe not in my lifetime...hey, I'm old...older!! LOL!
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I agree with these "dislikes!" I am curious....and if anyone KNOWS for sure, but, I'm not sure about the stop/start feature on the '19 RDX. The 2.0 turbo Accord does not have it...I believe...so, I'm guessing the RDX won't????
If anyone knows...let us know.
The 2019 RDX has it. The on/off button for it directly to the left of the dynamic mode dial. I've never had a car that has it but I would consider this a positive since it can be turned off if the driver does not like it.

Here is the TLX talking point using the same logo
http://m.acura.com/pdf/owners/2016/T..._Idle_Stop.pdf

See the button to the left of the dial
https://i.imgur.com/8Mk9WCM.jpg
Old 05-09-2018, 06:19 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Hear that folks! IF you don't like it....don't buy it! There you go, that's the answer. Then we won't need this site to talk about and discuss what we like, don't like...what we want, etc.
But, here's a big issue, and brought up by someone else here. So, I then have to look at other vehicles and....WHAT.....they have push button trans also!!! I'm surrounded.....the computers are taking over the world....AI will not let me
do anything on my own. THEY will do it all for me and I'm supposed to like it. We built you Mr. Computer and we can un-build you.....uhhhh....I hope!!!!! YIKES....get them off my lawn. Damn electrical contraptions! Where's my
Model T????

Don't like it...don't buy it. That's too simplistic....but, in this crazy changing world the designers and engineers aren't giving us many options to walk away. They are forcing us to "like it" and shoves them up our posteriors.
Life should be about choices and having them. MTD here "loves" push button trans. That's fine He should get what he wants. But, the majority don't....and should have what they want. But, many don't complain they just

In time if enough complain and don't like how a product is made changes have happened. All convertibles were stopped being made due to Gov't concerns over safety, etc. Guess what....they came back didn't they? Why...'cause the
buying public wanted them. Will the "shifting arm" come back. Good question...I think they will in some similar form....but, maybe not in my lifetime...hey, I'm old...older!! LOL!
not a bad rant and roil against the storm......

then there's this:

Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! Rage, blow!
You cataracts and hurricanoes, spout
Till you have drenched our steeples, drowned the cocks!
You sulfurous and thought-executing fires,
Vaunt-couriers of oak-cleaving thunderbolts,
Singe my white head! And thou, all-shaking thunder,
Smite flat the thick rotundity o' th' world,
Crack nature’s molds, all germens spill at once
That make ingrateful man!
Old 05-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by R. White
My potential dislike list for the '19 RDX
no spare tire ?
stop/start
push button shift
4 cylinder engine
10 speed AT ( rough ?)
low profile tires
big price increase
full moon roof - why ?
I'll have to sit in one to be sure but I think the tall center console might be an issue also. I like to drive with my right knee leaned over to the right and it looks like that might not be possible with the new console. It was the first thing I noticed about the Mazda CX5 at the car show so I'll be anxious to hear what others think when they get a chance to sit in the new RDX.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by MrJames
The 2019 RDX has it. The on/off button for it directly to the left of the dynamic mode dial. I've never had a car that has it but I would consider this a positive since it can be turned off if the driver does not like it.

Here is the TLX talking point using the same logo
http://m.acura.com/pdf/owners/2016/T..._Idle_Stop.pdf

See the button to the left of the dial
https://i.imgur.com/8Mk9WCM.jpg
Thanks. I'm surprised, but one never knows. My '18 TLX A-Spec has it and I automatically turn it off as soon as I start it up. Don't like it one little bit. There is some hesitation in how it works starting up....and I did NOT like that.
It does default to on each time it's started, or powered up. Just glad we can shut it down!
Old 05-10-2018, 01:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts

Model T????

See you have companies like Jeep who were using a joystick style shift lever from 2014-2017 and then now switched back to a conventional lever. Most common cars still use a conventional lever. I don’t think it will ever be fully phased out across the board, it does what it’s intended to do flawlessly and easily. IMO if changing something doesn’t make it work better, then it is a gimmick.

I am NOT against technology (not in the slightest), I just like things to be simpler and more straightforward. If I’m being fully honest, the shift buttons are “probably” not enough to push me fully away from the RDX if everything else works well and it handles like I am imagining (those reviews cannot come any sooner!!). I’m happy to see the V6 go and very very happy to see the return of SH-AWD. There is a whole heck of a lot to love about it!
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 04:50 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Every car I've ever bought has been some sort of compromise somewhere. There is no reason the push button shifter should give anyone a reason to not buy this car. When I bought the TLX it was certainly new and took a few days to adapt. But I like it better than the stick type shifter. It does make that area feel roomier, it is faster for me to manipulate the buttons than the stick, and I never have to look to see where the stick is, each button has a unique feel. I wouldn't stress over this shifter, if you buy the car you'll adapt and be fine.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Every car I've ever bought has been some sort of compromise somewhere. There is no reason the push button shifter should give anyone a reason to not buy this car. When I bought the TLX it was certainly new and took a few days to adapt. But I like it better than the stick type shifter. It does make that area feel roomier, it is faster for me to manipulate the buttons than the stick, and I never have to look to see where the stick is, each button has a unique feel. I wouldn't stress over this shifter, if you buy the car you'll adapt and be fine.
Agree 100%. The shifter gets in the way and looks ugly. Hilarious when posters comment about pushing a button is cumbersome.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:52 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Yeah, never had an issue adapting to the buttons. I can make three point turns just as quickly as a conventional stick. But that's human nature for you, people complain for the sake of complaining. If manufacturers had introduced buttons rather than the stick 40 years ago (I actually have no idea when non-manual stick shifters were introduced), and it became the norm, and all of a sudden, a manufacturer decides to introduce a stick, I'd imagine we'd be having a similar conversation on these forums. Humans at the basic level, hate change.

It's like the CVT. If that was the norm 40 years ago, we would be complaining why these stepped transmissions is inefficiently going from one gear to the next.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Yeah, never had an issue adapting to the buttons. I can make three point turns just as quickly as a conventional stick. But that's human nature for you, people complain for the sake of complaining. If manufacturers had introduced buttons rather than the stick 40 years ago (I actually have no idea when non-manual stick shifters were introduced), and it became the norm, and all of a sudden, a manufacturer decides to introduce a stick, I'd imagine we'd be having a similar conversation on these forums. Humans at the basic level, hate change.

It's like the CVT. If that was the norm 40 years ago, we would be complaining why these stepped transmissions is inefficiently going from one gear to the next.
Now ZipSpeed.....I know that often times during your life you have complained about something that you truly disliked. Did you complain "for the sake of complaining?" LOL!!!! I doubt it. So, I and some other's here have been outspoken car owners that have said...we don't like the push button
trans. Period. It's our right and to HONESTLY NOT LIKE THEM. Just as it's your right to now love them. So, don't speak for me as a "complainer for complaining sake." I don't like the damn things!! And, I don't have to just because "some people" are so jazzed about them and can do
3 point turns just as fast etc, etc, etc. I doubt you could take me on a 3 point turn contest....my '17 RDX against the '19 RDX. One big reason....and I have an '18 TLX A-Spec....when pushing the trans buttons there is a "delay" that I've discovered....and I KNOW my "shifter" in my '17 RDX is
quicker and more intuitive.
Just the way it is. Pushing the trans button has to go through the computer...send signals, etc, etc. It IS slower than a direct mechanical shifting arm trans. Just the nature of the 2.

I've taught all major systems in the cockpit of a DC-10 jumbo jet. I've flown the aircraft in a full motion simulator that pilots use for refreshers. I know and understand the "feel and response of" mechanical and electrically controlled systems. I've flown a T-38 once used by the Thunderbirds for many
years as their demonstration plane. I've flown Piper Warriors. I have a "sense" of tactile controls and responses.

All that plus I've owned over 60 vehicles. So, I feel fairly well educated in the mechanical and tech world as well as directly being involved in their operations...whether aircraft or cars/trucks/SUV's.

Push button trans controllers are: slower, don't add operational value, are not as intuitive as an arm or stick shifter. YES, you can get used to where the buttons are..how they feel and what they do...we all can. Doesn't mean we MUST like it.
Different "strokes" for different folks. That simple. The KISS principle was NOT used when car company's put in electrical controlled shifting buttons, levers, etc.

And the CVT transmissions....Suck big time. Some are better than other's...but, terrible overall. I drove the new CRV with the turbo 4 and CVT. What a mess. And I've owned CRV's in the past with strong NA 4 cyl. engines and reg. trans. Great small SUV"S.

This is fun isn't it??? Let's all get along...and enjoy our cars. Whatever ones we pick. IF we have a complaint...it is legit. Not complaining to complain.
RDX10 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 PM
There are four lights!

Now ZipSpeed.....I know that often times during your life you have complained about something that you truly disliked. Did you complain "for the sake of complaining?" LOL!!!! I doubt it. So, I and some other's here have been outspoken car owners that have said...we don't like the push button
trans. Period. It's our right and to HONESTLY NOT LIKE THEM. Just as it's your right to now love them. So, don't speak for me as a "complainer for complaining sake." I don't like the damn things!! And, I don't have to just because "some people" are so jazzed about them and can do
3 point turns just as fast etc, etc, etc. I doubt you could take me on a 3 point turn contest....my '17 RDX against the '19 RDX. One big reason....and I have an '18 TLX A-Spec....when pushing the trans buttons there is a "delay" that I've discovered....and I KNOW my "shifter" in my '17 RDX is
Just the way it is. Pushing the trans button has to go through the computer...send signals, etc, etc. It IS slower than a direct mechanical shifting arm trans. Just the nature of the 2.

I've taught all major systems in the cockpit of a DC-10 jumbo jet. I've flown the aircraft in a full motion simulator that pilots use for refreshers. I know and understand the "feel and response of" mechanical and electrically controlled systems. I've flown a T-38 once used by the Thunderbirds for many
years as their demonstration plane. I've flown Piper Warriors. I have a "sense" of tactile controls and responses.

All that plus I've owned over 60 vehicles. So, I feel fairly well educated in the mechanical and tech world as well as directly being involved in their operations...whether aircraft or cars/trucks/SUV's.

Push button trans controllers are: slower, don't add operational value, are not as intuitive as an arm or stick shifter. YES, you can get used to where the buttons are..how they feel and what they do...we all can. Doesn't mean we MUST like it.
Different "strokes" for different folks. That simple. The KISS principle was NOT used when car company's put in electrical controlled shifting buttons, levers, etc.

And the CVT transmissions....Suck big time. Some are better than other's...but, terrible overall. I drove the new CRV with the turbo 4 and CVT. What a mess. And I've owned CRV's in the past with strong NA 4 cyl. engines and reg. trans. Great small SUV"S.

This is fun isn't it??? Let's all get along...and enjoy our cars. Whatever ones we pick. IF we have a complaint...it is legit. Not complaining to complain.
I don't doubt your knowledge when it comes to the mechanical ins and outs, but I am merely responding to the outpouring of complaints that is at most, trivial. In fact, after reading what I wrote, I don't seeing anywhere where I actually made a complaint. My statement of a three point turn wasn't made in jest. I'm sure no one is going to race to see who is going to make a three point faster. I am just pointing out that I can shift just as quickly as with a conventional lever. I may not have owned a plethora of vehicles like you have, but I have owned cars with a 4 speed, 8 speed ZF, 9 speed ZF and a CVT and honest to god, I personally never felt a delay when it came to shifting between P-R-N-D. I'm not saying the delay doesn't exist, but the fact of matter is, for the average car buyer, they probably wouldn't know the difference. Stick or buttons, it's all the same, especially in today's vehicles where there is no direct mechanical linkage to the transmission. The fancy BMW stick and Acura buttons do the same thing... translate ones and zeroes to the computer.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as they keep them physical buttons and don't put them on the touch screen, I should be able to adapt!
The vehicles's user interface is very important from a functional (and safety) perspective. I am very pleased to see that the RDX will retain physical controls for HVAC and most audio controls can be engaged from steering wheel. The less time your eyes are off the road, the better IMHO.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Summer is Coming

The problem with your comparison and the logic is that the transmission in the TLX is far different than the transmission in the 17 RDX. That is the delay you are sensing. It has nothing to do with the way you make the input to the transmission. The 10-speed in the 19 RDX will not have a direct mechanical link even if there is a stick. The stick is just another form of a button. The amount of time it takes for the transmission to shift would be the same regardless. I hate the way my 15 TLX shifts. It is slower than most transmissions I've driven, but a stick wouldn't make it go any faster. I can manipulate the buttons faster, I still have to allow the transmission to shift. Too many moving parts in the 9ZF.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
When my back gave out and I had to switch to automatic transmissions (my 2008 535) I gave up complaining about ATs. There are only two types of trannies: one where you use three pedals, and one where you use two. Push buttons, paddles, electronic selectors, physical selectors, to me are of no mind. You either put the thing in auto, or you throw out the clutch and put it in first. As transmissions, it used to be that MTs were superior. I had a 5 speed MT when ATs were three speed and roared unharnessed downhill.

Some autos are pretty damn good. I can pick gears in my 535 by how hard I hit the gas or how hard I tap the brake. None of the ATs give me the control of an MT, and none of the MTs are less of a PIA in traffic than an AT; I find the clutch delay valve annoying, and roll back braking worse: God made handbrakes to prevent serious rolling back, and that other crap just gets in the way. I cannot round the corner with a perfect shift in my AT, and I don't have to shift up and down in traffic like with an MT.

If ATs came out before MTs, I wonder if anyone would ever drive an MT.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't doubt your knowledge when it comes to the mechanical ins and outs, but I am merely responding to the outpouring of complaints that is at most, trivial. In fact, after reading what I wrote, I don't seeing anywhere where I actually made a complaint. My statement of a three point turn wasn't made in jest. I'm sure no one is going to race to see who is going to make a three point faster. I am just pointing out that I can shift just as quickly as with a conventional lever. I may not have owned a plethora of vehicles like you have, but I have owned cars with a 4 speed, 8 speed ZF, 9 speed ZF and a CVT and honest to god, I personally never felt a delay when it came to shifting between P-R-N-D. I'm not saying the delay doesn't exist, but the fact of matter is, for the average car buyer, they probably wouldn't know the difference. Stick or buttons, it's all the same, especially in today's vehicles where there is no direct mechanical linkage to the transmission. The fancy BMW stick and Acura buttons do the same thing... translate ones and zeroes to the computer.
By saying people are complaining to complain you are basically stating that our opinions are invalid and that we don’t have a right to feel the way we do about the buttons. You made a super ironic and funny comment about if manufacturers introduced buttons 40 years ago vs a stick...well actually they did almost 70 years ago! Chrysler had push buttons on some of their cars in the 50’s and 60’s AND GUESS WHAT?! They went back to a conventional shifter just like they did on some current vehicles this past year. That proves to me that it’s just a huge gimmick. Nothing more.

Quick question here, if your car with the push buttons dies, can you still put it in manual mode like you easily can on vehicles with the conventional lever?
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RDX10

By saying people are complaining to complain you are basically stating that our opinions are invalid and that we don’t have a right to feel the way we do about the buttons. You made a super ironic and funny comment about if manufacturers introduced buttons 40 years ago vs a stick...well actually they did almost 70 years ago! Chrysler had push buttons on some of their cars in the 50’s and 60’s AND GUESS WHAT?! They went back to a conventional shifter just like they did on some current vehicles this past year. That proves to me that it’s just a huge gimmick. Nothing more.

Quick question here, if your car with the push buttons dies, can you still put it in manual mode like you easily can on vehicles with the conventional lever?

I meant neutral
Old 05-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

The problem with your comparison and the logic is that the transmission in the TLX is far different than the transmission in the 17 RDX. That is the delay you are sensing. It has nothing to do with the way you make the input to the transmission. The 10-speed in the 19 RDX will not have a direct mechanical link even if there is a stick. The stick is just another form of a button. The amount of time it takes for the transmission to shift would be the same regardless. I hate the way my 15 TLX shifts. It is slower than most transmissions I've driven, but a stick wouldn't make it go any faster. I can manipulate the buttons faster, I still have to allow the transmission to shift. Too many moving parts in the 9ZF.
Hey Rocket man.....hope you are having a good day. And I seriously mean that. I appreciate the "basically respectful" back and forth of our opinions. You know, I'm sure, that truly getting across what we mean when we write is so very
hard. I know the trans in the TLX, 9 speed, is different than my RDX..6 speed. Geez, man haven't you read my background? I'm not "sensing a delay"....there IS a delay when pushing the TLX button from...let's say D to R, or P to D, etc,
etc. That "delay" is NOT the same in fractions of a second compared to moving the shifter arm in the RDX from R to D, or D to R, etc. That's why I can do a 3 point turn in the "shifter arm" 6 speed RDX vs a "push button trans like my 9
speed TLX. The response time with the arm shifted 6 speed is just quicker to make happen that pushing a button and waiting for the trans delay time. It's NOT forever...I get that...but, it IS slower and delayed.

I know the 10 speed will not have what you wrote. I KNOW these things. The 9 speed and the 10 speed are not all that different. Gear ratios, one more gear, etc. Operated how???....Push a damn button. Now the early 9 speed you
may have lots more experience in how screwed up it was/is...than I do. I KNOW this. My '18 TLX 9 speed is great!! Let it go in "Sport Mode" while in Drive and it's a great shifter and quick!

Here's a quick fun story. Happened today. I was driving the TLX and came behind a BMW 335. I guess he looked back, saw my car and wanted to "prove?" that his was better??....anyway, he took off very hot...and I immediately went
in to my "oh no you don't mode....LOL".....we happened to have a right hand turn that was a curved flow into traffic type turn. We had the green light. So, he takes off like a rocket. I'm in Sport Mode.....and nailed it. That Sh-Awd TLX
flew around that right hand curved turn and....remember he got the jump...but, I was right on his bumper in a flash. He probably then went..." hmmm...what IS that, and he pushed his Beemer even harder. And, so I put more throttle in
and was right on his butt. He just couldn't get away. Then we were both going to do another right turn...had the green light and he FLEW around that turn...had lots of room...and I nailed it...and let that trans and quick steering and
drive system take me on a wild ride....I flew up to him and.....AGAIN...right on his butt. LOL!!! Lucky I'm not in jail! DON"T try this at home kids!! LOL!!! But, it was fun....and my TLX is amazing on fast tight turns....it just stays flat and
flies around those curves. I must say it reminded me of my Saleen Mustang that cornered so flat and had tight steering.

Now, I know what quick, fast, etc, is. The TLX is NOT a super fast hot rod....but, that Beemer guy got shown that his 335 didn't have it to outrun me. I've owned Corvettes, Supra Turbos, Saleen Mustang, Cobra Mustangs....so I know
what hauling butt is like. Anyway.....I digress......
Old 05-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts

I meant neutral
Yes, you can, but no it's not as easy. Tt's the same process if you can't get the car into "on" mode as the buttons don't work without power. Basically you have to pop the hood and release some switch on the transmission.
RDX10 (05-17-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts

That was a serious problem when BMW introduced their joystick e-shifter. Many tow truck drivers hadn't a clue how to get the car in neutral if the car had no power. It's going back a few years, but I vaguely remember a story about one particular owner who had his/her disabled AWD BMW dragged onto the flatbed while in park with a dead battery. It was BMW's roadside assistance that did it, and as the story went, BMW replaced the entire car.

Last edited by HotRodW; 05-11-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:48 PM
There are four lights!

Okay, fair enough. But it's all semantics at the end. We are arguing about a transmission that doesn't have a direct mechanical link to the transmission whether you use buttons or a lever. All Acura models moving forward will be of this type. If that electronic lever dies, you have the same issue with being able to put the vehicle into neutral. As Curious3GTL mentioned, you can use a tool to put the vehicle into neutral. I remember reading this in my BMW and Acura owners manual. Most people in the end wouldn't bother with the tool anyway, and they'll end up just towing the vehicle to the dealer.

As for the debate of buttons vs lever, humans are inherently comfortable with familiarity. But in this day and age where manufacturers are looking to distance themselves from others, you'll see more and more design risks whether its buttons or dials. Some levers don't play by the rules either. BMW levers (at least on the 2011 X3 I had) pushed up for reverse, down for neutral and drive, and a button for park. Hardly intuitive (especially for my wife and probably the biggest reason she didn't like to drive it), but as with many things in life, you eventually adapt and no longer have to think twice. That's the same with my TLX, but at least its arranged in the P-R-N-D order that most people are familiar with. It took a bit of trial and error in the beginning, but now I do this kind of weird claw and like a traditional lever, I no longer have to look and can shift just as fast. People can be stubborn, but as a species, we also adapt when we have to. If we didn't, we wouldn't be at the top of the food chain in the evolutionary chain.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:30 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

No comment. Error in reading. My bad.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 05-12-2018 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Misread post...my bad.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:36 AM
Summer is Coming

Hey Rocket man.....hope you are having a good day. And I seriously mean that. I appreciate the "basically respectful" back and forth of our opinions. You know, I'm sure, that truly getting across what we mean when we write is so very
hard. I know the trans in the TLX, 9 speed, is different than my RDX..6 speed. Geez, man haven't you read my background? I'm not "sensing a delay"....there IS a delay when pushing the TLX button from...let's say D to R, or P to D, etc,
etc. That "delay" is NOT the same in fractions of a second compared to moving the shifter arm in the RDX from R to D, or D to R, etc. That's why I can do a 3 point turn in the "shifter arm" 6 speed RDX vs a "push button trans like my 9
speed TLX. The response time with the arm shifted 6 speed is just quicker to make happen that pushing a button and waiting for the trans delay time. It's NOT forever...I get that...but, it IS slower and delayed.

I know the 10 speed will not have what you wrote. I KNOW these things. The 9 speed and the 10 speed are not all that different. Gear ratios, one more gear, etc. Operated how???....Push a damn button. Now the early 9 speed you
may have lots more experience in how screwed up it was/is...than I do. I KNOW this. My '18 TLX 9 speed is great!! Let it go in "Sport Mode" while in Drive and it's a great shifter and quick!

Here's a quick fun story. Happened today. I was driving the TLX and came behind a BMW 335. I guess he looked back, saw my car and wanted to "prove?" that his was better??....anyway, he took off very hot...and I immediately went
in to my "oh no you don't mode....LOL".....we happened to have a right hand turn that was a curved flow into traffic type turn. We had the green light. So, he takes off like a rocket. I'm in Sport Mode.....and nailed it. That Sh-Awd TLX
flew around that right hand curved turn and....remember he got the jump...but, I was right on his bumper in a flash. He probably then went..." hmmm...what IS that, and he pushed his Beemer even harder. And, so I put more throttle in
and was right on his butt. He just couldn't get away. Then we were both going to do another right turn...had the green light and he FLEW around that turn...had lots of room...and I nailed it...and let that trans and quick steering and
drive system take me on a wild ride....I flew up to him and.....AGAIN...right on his butt. LOL!!! Lucky I'm not in jail! DON"T try this at home kids!! LOL!!! But, it was fun....and my TLX is amazing on fast tight turns....it just stays flat and
flies around those curves. I must say it reminded me of my Saleen Mustang that cornered so flat and had tight steering.

Now, I know what quick, fast, etc, is. The TLX is NOT a super fast hot rod....but, that Beemer guy got shown that his 335 didn't have it to outrun me. I've owned Corvettes, Supra Turbos, Saleen Mustang, Cobra Mustangs....so I know
what hauling butt is like. Anyway.....I digress......
I think we are somewhat in agreement... "fly by wire" is just not the same as a direct manipulation of the gears. I also expect the RDX has syncros in the gearbox that makes shifts the way we all remember for so many years, you were actually changing gears with the stick. I'm not sure how long those types of transmissions will stick around. De-mating the stick from the transmission lets the manufacturer put the tranny anyplace under the hood they want. I don't like the 9ZF. Your 18 model is better than my 15 model. I hate the way it shifts. But that is a 'feature' of the transmission, not the buttons.

I remember the crash of an Airbus A320 on a demo flight in 1988. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. The plane was one of the first fly by wire commercial aircraft. The pilot was making a low flight, he commanded the throttle forward to pick up speed and the flight computer decided 'nope, don't want to do that' and the plane flew right into the ground. People were killed. I kind of feel that way sometime, many times, when I'm driving my TLX. And those slow shifts are not even using the buttons, that is just the crappy design of the 9ZF.

Regardless of that, I'm pretty certain that this 10-speed tranny will be in many Acura cars. The RDX may be the first but not the last. That will be shift by wire as well. I hear it does much better than the 9ZF. Whether there are buttons or a stick won't matter if I want to buy the car. If it has buttons I'll be happy with it.

Peace.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:05 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

I think we are somewhat in agreement... "fly by wire" is just not the same as a direct manipulation of the gears. I also expect the RDX has syncros in the gearbox that makes shifts the way we all remember for so many years, you were actually changing gears with the stick. I'm not sure how long those types of transmissions will stick around. De-mating the stick from the transmission lets the manufacturer put the tranny anyplace under the hood they want. I don't like the 9ZF. Your 18 model is better than my 15 model. I hate the way it shifts. But that is a 'feature' of the transmission, not the buttons.

I remember the crash of an Airbus A320 on a demo flight in 1988. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. The plane was one of the first fly by wire commercial aircraft. The pilot was making a low flight, he commanded the throttle forward to pick up speed and the flight computer decided 'nope, don't want to do that' and the plane flew right into the ground. People were killed. I kind of feel that way sometime, many times, when I'm driving my TLX. And those slow shifts are not even using the buttons, that is just the crappy design of the 9ZF.

Regardless of that, I'm pretty certain that this 10-speed tranny will be in many Acura cars. The RDX may be the first but not the last. That will be shift by wire as well. I hear it does much better than the 9ZF. Whether there are buttons or a stick won't matter if I want to buy the car. If it has buttons I'll be happy with it.

Peace.
I distinctly remember when "fly by wire" fighter jets first came out....the F16. It was tested for a long time in the Nevada test range. MANY were crashed. Many pilots had a hell of a time trying to fly that thing....actually some still do.
Many F16's have been crashed due to pilot error. I spoke to guys that were there during the testing days. There are quite a few F16's in the lake there!!!

I remember something about that Airbus. I was thinking it was on auto pilot and the pilot forgot and tried to use the throttles....and never figured out he needed to disengage the auto pilot. Not sure if that is the same one, but, there
was one like that scenario.

Yep, now it's all solenoids causing a mechanical action. The Gen 2 RDX's have a traditional "Control Wire (cable) that controls the trans. The only "electrical thing" is the "Shift Lock Solenoid." That's activated when you put your foot
on the brake pedal and then you can take the trans out of Park and move the shifter where you want. But, I've had many of the Honda Motor Corp. 6 speed trannies and I like them. Always been great.

Yes, I know on the newer ones it's the "trans and not the buttons." But, my point is...after pushing the buttons there is more time delay before a gear is totally activated vs. the Gen 2 RDX trans. I have both now. I know, feel, see the
difference in the two. My '17 RDX and my '18 TLX. And yes, my 9 speed has been great so far.

By the way...that 10 speed tranny is not new to Honda Motor Corp. That's what the 2.0 turbo Accord uses. Acura is just using a trans it already has out there, just tweaked for the RDX. Motor Trend likes it a lot. Smooth, quick shifting,
and helps the new turbo 2.0 engine be more linear....little turbo lag at all....they say.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 05-12-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Center console and navigation

In looking at pics and videos, one of the things I’m curious about is the comfort of suspending your arm in air (to avoid drink cups in the cup holder) while navigating the touch pad. There’s a resting place for your wrist; but, I can’t help but wonder if I would have to hold my Starbucks grande and steer with my left hand all while operating the touchpad with my right. I’m sure the engineers thought about this, so possibly my visual observation is unfounded...but, I do plan to bring a “carry on” when the tests drives are finally avaiable to the public. Any thoughts?
Old 05-13-2018, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Drinking while driving is not advisable in any vehicles ... So holding a Starbucks should not count .. I am pretty sure the Acura engineers does not take into account holding your drink while operating the touchpad in their design ... Should be able to drive and operate the touchpad though
Old 05-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
The cup holders occupy the right half (little over half actually) of the center console. The left side holds your phone and includes a USB port so you may be able to keep your arm on the left half of the console.
TxLady (05-15-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 04:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can someone post a photo showing the cup holders
Old 05-13-2018, 05:22 PM
10th Gear

I was able to screen capture this. Doesn't look like the cups will really be in the way.
TxLady (05-15-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 05:24 PM
10th Gear

TxLady (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 05:28 PM
10th Gear

I can't seem to post an image.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:59 PM
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Here are my negative points for this car.

- No power tilt/telescope steering wheel linked with seat memory
- No power folding mirrors
- No mention of wireless charging
- No spare tire
- Wheels on the Advanced trim level
- Possibly a lack of an automatic parking brake feature that engages the parking brake when shifting to "park".
Old 05-15-2018, 07:11 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy123az
Here are my negative points for this car.

- No power tilt/telescope steering wheel linked with seat memory
- No power folding mirrors
- No mention of wireless charging
- No spare tire
- Wheels on the Advanced trim level
- Possibly a lack of an automatic parking brake feature that engages the parking brake when shifting to "park".
Why would one want this?
Old 05-15-2018, 08:25 AM
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chickdr
Why would one want this?
At this price range and in this class, it’s expected that these features are available, if not optional. These features are available or optional on other vehicles in this class.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Andy123az

At this price range and in this class, it’s expected that these features are available, if not optional. These features are available or optional on other vehicles in this class.
An automatic parking brake is "expected"??? I would much rather decide myself if I want the parking brake on, or not. Way too much automation in cars these days. I don't even like the electronic parking brakes we are seeing.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 AM
Pro

Another negative to me is the lack of standard roof rails. At this price, the rails should at least be standard. I get the cross bars and other parts being optional as there are so many options but if the rails were there on all cars, even if one didn't know they needed them initially, they would be there to easily add the other options later. To add the rails and cross bars to our 16 was well over 1k. The CR-V at the time had the rails standard at a much lower MSRP.....
Old 05-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
Another negative to me is the lack of standard roof rails. At this price, the rails should at least be standard. I get the cross bars and other parts being optional as there are so many options but if the rails were there on all cars, even if one didn't know they needed them initially, they would be there to easily add the other options later. To add the rails and cross bars to our 16 was well over 1k. The CR-V at the time had the rails standard at a much lower MSRP.....
I disagree. I think Acura is doing the right thing with the roof rails. Nothing should be standard that only a small percentage of owners actually use, plus there's the potential wind noise factor and increased cd. I also disagree with the mandatory pano roof. Go ahead and make it optional for those that want it, but I don't like that it's standard equipment. I do, however, think standard spare tires are still a good idea on any car.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-15-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 02:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Okay, fair enough. But it's all semantics at the end. We are arguing about a transmission that doesn't have a direct mechanical link to the transmission whether you use buttons or a lever. All Acura models moving forward will be of this type. If that electronic lever dies, you have the same issue with being able to put the vehicle into neutral. As Curious3GTL mentioned, you can use a tool to put the vehicle into neutral. I remember reading this in my BMW and Acura owners manual. Most people in the end wouldn't bother with the tool anyway, and they'll end up just towing the vehicle to the dealer.

As for the debate of buttons vs lever, humans are inherently comfortable with familiarity. But in this day and age where manufacturers are looking to distance themselves from others, you'll see more and more design risks whether its buttons or dials. Some levers don't play by the rules either. BMW levers (at least on the 2011 X3 I had) pushed up for reverse, down for neutral and drive, and a button for park. Hardly intuitive (especially for my wife and probably the biggest reason she didn't like to drive it), but as with many things in life, you eventually adapt and no longer have to think twice. That's the same with my TLX, but at least its arranged in the P-R-N-D order that most people are familiar with. It took a bit of trial and error in the beginning, but now I do this kind of weird claw and like a traditional lever, I no longer have to look and can shift just as fast. People can be stubborn, but as a species, we also adapt when we have to. If we didn't, we wouldn't be at the top of the food chain in the evolutionary chain.
I understand that most lever controlled transmissions these days are not even mechanically connected to the transmission. I also understand that people like to use things that are familiar. For me it’s not just a case of familiarity but also comfort. I like resting my hand on the lever while driving. In seeing more pictures of the RDX interior I can see that a traditional lever would have been impossible so I do understand why they went this route.

Speaking of unituitive levers, I had a loaner 2018 Q5 for a week and the shifter moved and felt like a traditional shifter with one massive exception, park is a button on the backside of the shifter. Numerous times during that week I pushed the lever into “park” only to realize I actually pushed it into reverse. How is that at all intuitive? I’m sure I’d adapt after a couple weeks. But we are a multi-car household and I did switch between it and another car that had a traditional lever so it was almost trippy for my brain to switch. I can imagine being on an “off day” and forgetting what car I’m in and putting it in reverse and forgetting.

Like I’ve said numerous times, the buttons are not enough to make me stay away from the car and I really need to sit in and test drive it to see how it feels. I’m wondering why no reviews have came out yet.

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
Yes, you can, but no it's not as easy. Tt's the same process if you can't get the car into "on" mode as the buttons don't work without power. Basically you have to pop the hood and release some switch on the transmission.
See this kind of scares me, what if it’s one of those situations where I have to leave the car and it gets picked up by a tow truck driver and he doesn’t have any wheel dollies but rather a flat bed? Also would the average person know how to do this?

Originally Posted by HotRodW
That was a serious problem when BMW introduced their joystick e-shifter. Many tow truck drivers hadn't a clue how to get the car in neutral if the car had no power. It's going back a few years, but I vaguely remember a story about one particular owner who had his/her disabled AWD BMW dragged onto the flatbed while in park with a dead battery. It was BMW's roadside assistance that did it, and as the story went, BMW replaced the entire car.
Exactly! Especially since these RDX’s are equipped with SH-AWD....dragging one onto a tow truck would mess up A LOT of drivetrain components.

Originally Posted by TxLady
In looking at pics and videos, one of the things I’m curious about is the comfort of suspending your arm in air (to avoid drink cups in the cup holder) while navigating the touch pad. There’s a resting place for your wrist; but, I can’t help but wonder if I would have to hold my Starbucks grande and steer with my left hand all while operating the touchpad with my right. I’m sure the engineers thought about this, so possibly my visual observation is unfounded...but, I do plan to bring a “carry on” when the tests drives are finally avaiable to the public. Any thoughts?
It looks to me that the cup holders are fairly sunken in, so even your largest starbucks drink should not pose an issue. With Acura being an American company (effectively) they are much more in tune with building American sized cup holders. Also Acura is one of few companies who moves the cup holders to the left and the shifter to the right, a huge turn off for me is when the cup holders are right in front of the shifter. In contrast many many German cars until recently (if they even had cup holders) had pitiful cup holders, sometimes they only has one cup holder or if they had 2 they were like 2 inches deep at most. In terms of your arms hanging in the air, they have that pad so it’s no different than a standard car.

However my other concern is that the touch pad seems to be too close to the pad, almost like you have to bend your wrist or lift your hand over the pad to use the touch pad. I do need to personally test drive the RDX of course before I can say the touch pad is awkward to use. It could be very comfortable and easy to use.
TxLady (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey all, I drive a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T with the buttons. Odd on day one but now second nature. Not as odd as the Dodge Ram dial knob in our work truck fleet.
Cupholders in Accord are quite deep as well. Just use the best cup to fit it. 2.0T is a nice engine.
TxLady (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 02:58 PM
Lost in translation

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
For all the peeps lamenting the push-button shifter: am I the only one to occasionally press one of the climate control buttons while shifting into park?
Only about thirty times over my five years of ownership...but who's counting? lol And my hands are average size; makes me wonder about people with giant paws.
So, yes, that push-button feature looks like a winner to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any negative points?