Any negative points?

Old 07-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by catbert430
I also ordered the printed Owner's Manual and Navigation Manual.
Got a nice email saying to allow 5 weeks to print and ship.
Acura's printer must be Johannes Gutenberg
A good dealership will set up 1-2 hours to go over the initial settings and how to operate all the tech.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolf65
A good dealership will set up 1-2 hours to go over the initial settings and how to operate all the tech.
They have offered to spend time. Called today for an appt...but it will be a week from this Friday. Just have a lot of stuff going on preventing car time (air conditioner failed in our third story attic and ruined three ceilings and two walls so contractors are in and out...TMI- but you get the picture)

As you can imagine...I’m very anxious for some free time to familiarize myself with “The Lady”.

( HOU-RL, good idea. Maybe I will just disappear to the garage and press some buttons
Old 07-18-2018, 10:08 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
It's good to be attentive to the plethora of dashboard lights and gee-whiz gizmos, but I humbly suggest getting to know how the car responds to human driving input before you go crazy with the "driver assist" stuff. I guess I'm old-school that way.

Hint: It drives purdy darn nice!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wander
It's good to be attentive to the plethora of dashboard lights and gee-whiz gizmos, but I humbly suggest getting to know how the car responds to human driving input before you go crazy with the "driver assist" stuff. I guess I'm old-school that way.

Hint: It drives purdy darn nice!
Yes, I’ve driven her...just had limited time; but she definitely brings a smile to my face. Love the drive, the handling and the feel. She has not disappointed, in the brief experience I’ve had behind the wheel. Wow! What a huge difference to my ‘02 TL.

All the technology can be a bit intimidating...just don’t want to push the wrong button going down the road. I think familiarizing myself with the locations, functions and actions of the new buttons and toggles is a good idea...but, Love that Acura has kept the functions in the same proximity as their past models...radio, volume, etc on left of steering wheel and cruise control on right.

I told my husband when I first sat in her...she felt like “home”. And he said “well, ya just can’t beat that”.
The following 2 users liked this post by TxLady:
GW208 (07-18-2018), Stew4HD (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:40 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by catbert430
I also ordered the printed Owner's Manual and Navigation Manual.
Got a nice email saying to allow 5 weeks to print and ship.
Acura's printer must be Johannes Gutenberg
Actually in the past my orders came much quicker than 5 weeks. Well, much is a relative term. But, it's not too bad. I do appreciate them doing that for us that want that paper "book" in our hands to thumb through.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:42 PM
Drifting

The techno doodads can be a distraction. The first time my wife drove mine she flipped out about the HUD and drove over the curb of a median. I wasn't pleased.

At least she's consistent. She flipped out about an incoming phone call when her MDX was new, and smacked into another car when she was pulling out of a driveway. $3500 damage to her car. Bluetooth got disabled purdy darn quick. It didn't help that the volume was set way too high, and the setting is buried about three menu levels deep.

Being able to adjust the "voice" volume with a twist of the volume knob is a HUGE advancement in 2019 RDX.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by TxLady
Yes, I’ve driven her...just had limited time; but she definitely brings a smile to my face. Love the drive, the handling and the feel. She has not disappointed, in the brief experience I’ve had behind the wheel. Wow! What a huge difference to my ‘02 TL.

All the technology can be a bit intimidating...just don’t want to push the wrong button going down the road. I think familiarizing myself with the locations, functions and actions of the new buttons and toggles is a good idea...but, Love that Acura has kept the functions in the same proximity as their past models...radio, volume, etc on left of steering wheel and cruise control on right.

I told my husband when I first sat in her...she felt like “home”. And he said “well, ya just can’t beat that”.
Do you have any first impressions you can share about the push button shifter in the very limited time you've had with it? I'm afraid that's something my wife might struggle with but in all honesty she would probably get the hang of much quicker than I would.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GW208
Do you have any first impressions you can share about the push button shifter in the very limited time you've had with it? I'm afraid that's something my wife might struggle with but in all honesty she would probably get the hang of much quicker than I would.
The push button shifting ( park, reverse and Drive - the latter labeled D/S) are all very intuitive and in the short time I’ve driven the RDX, has been easy to acclimate to it. As far as the paddle shifters are concerned, I’ve been just putting it in Drive (pushing the D/S button) and letting the car make its own shifting decisions, which have been extremely smooth. ( The men on this forum might have more to say about the paddle shifters, but, I can’t think of when I would want to use them...maybe as I get more familiar with their functionality. )

I would suggest she do a test drive and if it feels foreign to her, go back a second time. We did a couple test drives on one day...different models of the RDX, and then a third test drive the next day.

I know there’s been a lot of buzz on the forum in various threads regarding the shift buttons. Although it’s been a few years, I used to own a ‘68 Mustang GT 390 with a four in the floor (Holly four barrel carburetor) so I’m not foreign to shifting. So far, I’ve been impressed with how easy it is to adapt to the push button change. Hope that helps.

Last edited by TxLady; 07-19-2018 at 05:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GW208 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
The push button shifting ( park, reverse and Drive - the latter labeled D/S) are all very intuitive and in the short time I’ve driven the RDX, has been easy to acclimate to it. As far as the paddle shifters are concerned, I’ve been just putting it in Drive (pushing the D/S button) and letting the car make its own shifting decisions, which have been extremely smooth. ( The men on this forum might have more to say about the paddle shifters, but, I can’t think of when I would want to use them...maybe as I get more familiar with their functionality. )
I live on a mountain and have a steep twisting hill to go down (a blast going up in Sport+ !). I use the paddles to go down to 3rd gear, which brakes the engine a bit and allows me to use the actual brakes less. Amazing how many cars smell like burning brakes at the end of that road.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
I know there’s been a lot of buzz on the forum in various threads regarding the shift buttons. Although it’s been a few years, I used to own a ‘68 Mustang GT 390 with a four in the floor (Holly four barrel carburetor) so I’m not foreign to shifting. So far, I’ve been impressed with how easy it is to adapt to the push button change. Hope that helps.
I’m one of the guys who complained (extensively) about the buttons at first, but after 40+ days I’ve gotten a lot more used to them and think it’s pretty OK. I still think it’s dicey when I need to find & engage Reverse IN A HURRY to avoid an impending situation, but I’ll learn to deal. I’ve even started to enjoy parking by just pressing the Start/Stop button to cut the engine, and having it go automatically into Park and automatically set the Parking Brake (if I have “Brake Hold” engaged). Neat, and probably not feasible with a mechanical shift lever.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Instructor

That sounds very advanced to me at this time . Maybe someone should start a thread “ Adjusting to the New Tech on the 2019 RDX”. I know I’d subscribe! I’m looking forward to learning all there is to know on driving techniques but realize since I’m not behind the wheel daily, it will take a little longer to learn by experience than the daily commuters. My eyes and ears are open...
Old 07-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by robuckj

I’m one of the guys who complained (extensively) about the buttons at first, but after 40+ days I’ve gotten a lot more used to them and think it’s pretty OK. I still think it’s dicey when I need to find & engage Reverse IN A HURRY to avoid an impending situation, but I’ll learn to deal. I’ve even started to enjoy parking by just pressing the Start/Stop button to cut the engine, and having it go automatically into Park and automatically set the Parking Brake (if I have “Brake Hold” engaged). Neat, and probably not feasible with a mechanical shift lever.
you can also set the parking brake to engage automatically without having to have brake hold on first. It’s somewhere in the owners manual. I found it once, but went back and couldn’t find it again lol. It’s handy being able to just turn the car off and have it go into park and have the parking brake set automatically.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521
...and have the parking brake set automatically.
This is something those living in the north should not do as there is a very real possibility the parking brake can physically freeze up under the right conditions.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by robuckj
I’ve even started to enjoy parking by just pressing the Start/Stop button to cut the engine, and having it go automatically into Park and automatically set the Parking Brake (if I have “Brake Hold” engaged). Neat, and probably not feasible with a mechanical shift lever.
I learn so much in this site. Just today, I pulled into a parking space, hit the brake and the engine stopped, I pushed Park, and it started again, then hit the stop button to turn off the engine. I thought that was really strange. Now I know I can skip right to stop.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DesignerTom
I live on a mountain and have a steep twisting hill to go down (a blast going up in Sport+ !). I use the paddles to go down to 3rd gear, which brakes the engine a bit and allows me to use the actual brakes less. Amazing how many cars smell like burning brakes at the end of that road.
Pretty much the only time I used the paddles on my previous vehicle was for compression braking and "spirited driving" on mountain passes.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
I never used the paddles in this vehicle. I just dont drive it like that with this vehicle.Maybe I will try it in this one.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:03 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
I never used the paddles in this vehicle. I just dont drive it like that with this vehicle.Maybe I will try it in this one.
I've had many "paddle" Acuras and Hondas....and I've learned to use them in a few different ways. When just driving around town in "D"....and you have to come to a quick and sudden stop. You can use a shift paddle and down shift a gear...
or two at the same time you are braking. That helps slow you down faster.

Or, if you want to do a "quick acceleration"....and your in 'D" just grab the paddle and drop a gear and hit the gas. Once settled back to a cruising steady speed the trans with go back to "D"....and you are "off the paddles."

Mountain driving they are great...as someone said....use them to drop a gear or two to help slow down and save on brakes.

Then, of course there is the "Sport + mode" where you have to shift with the paddles...YOU are in control of the trans. Shifting up and down. Makes for very spirited acceleration and driving fun. But, it does take some getting used
to in all these scenarios. Start out in "simpler situations" to get used to how the trans reacts to your paddle "inputs." Once you get familiar and comfortable on how they work, then you can learn to be more aggressive with them

The computer is set up so that you can't over rev the engine...so don't be afraid of that. It will roar up to the rev limit, but, it will cut off fuel if you go past....very little past!!
Old 07-20-2018, 01:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I've had many "paddle" Acuras and Hondas....and I've learned to use them in a few different ways. When just driving around town in "D"....and you have to come to a quick and sudden stop. You can use a shift paddle and down shift a gear...
or two at the same time you are braking. That helps slow you down faster.

Or, if you want to do a "quick acceleration"....and your in 'D" just grab the paddle and drop a gear and hit the gas. Once settled back to a cruising steady speed the trans with go back to "D"....and you are "off the paddles."

Mountain driving they are great...as someone said....use them to drop a gear or two to help slow down and save on brakes.

Then, of course there is the "Sport + mode" where you have to shift with the paddles...YOU are in control of the trans. Shifting up and down. Makes for very spirited acceleration and driving fun. But, it does take some getting used
to in all these scenarios. Start out in "simpler situations" to get used to how the trans reacts to your paddle "inputs." Once you get familiar and comfortable on how they work, then you can learn to be more aggressive with them

The computer is set up so that you can't over rev the engine...so don't be afraid of that. It will roar up to the rev limit, but, it will cut off fuel if you go past....very little past!!
That's called manual sequential mode for the transmission. Sport+ mode has a different meaning with our new RDXs. Gotta keep up with the marketing speak.

The computer is NOT smart enough to keep you from trying to accelerate from a stop in 1st gear, red-lining the engine in 0.13 seconds, and sounding like a total jerk. Trust me...
robuckj (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by Wander
That's called manual sequential mode for the transmission. Sport+ mode has a different meaning with our new RDXs. Gotta keep up with the marketing speak.

The computer is NOT smart enough to keep you from trying to accelerate from a stop in 1st gear, red-lining the engine in 0.13 seconds, and sounding like a total jerk. Trust me...
No, I don't have to use the "marketing speak" because I've learned in the past that still leaves some people going...."HUH???"....so, I describe it in practical terms. I know very well how they all work. I should after owning so
many of them. So, IF you want to help folks, use "common language" when explaining what is going on. "Marketing Speak" explains nothing.

I used to have to write Tech. Manuals for aircraft....I think I know a little bit about this type of subject. I got paid a lot of money to write so people can understand what truly is happening.

And, pray tell, what is the "different meaning" with our new RDX in Sport+ mode? Inquiring and knowledgeable minds would like you to explain it to us. In everyday, understandable terms for those that don't have a clue...."marketing
speak" has been banished from this thread.
MI-RDX (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I just picked up my new RDX a couple days ago and a couple of negative things I was worried about have not been true in the case of my RDX. First, the True Touchpad is not difficult at all to use, and in fact I really love it. Admittedly I use a trackpad every day for my work laptop, but it's so intuitive to use and to select what you want to select. Also, I was worried the brakes might be an issue, but I feel no difference in these breaks than I had with my prior MDX.

My only biggest complaint thus far is the fuel economy. I have about 300 miles on the vehicle so far with half being from the highway drive home from the dealer, and I am sitting at 19.5 MPG. I realize there is a break in period but I was honestly hoping to be at least around 22 for a half city/half highway experience, especially as I have kept it in comfort mode 95% of the time.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
...So, IF you want to help folks, use "common language" when explaining what is going on. "Marketing Speak" explains nothing...
Could not agree more. During the course of my career I can't tell you how many times I 'went to war' with other IT people who insisted on 'speaking tech' when in a user/management meeting. They thought it made them sound cool and knowledgeable when all they were accomplishing was delays and confusion. 'Tech speak' is fine in the proper forum - but only in the proper forum.

Management was just as guilty every time they came back from a seminar on the 'latest and greatest' - whatever it was. And I'll bet a large amount of money that the marketing folks who are doing this 'market speak' would be totally unable to explain what they are saying using common language.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 07-20-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:58 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TLMDXRDX
My only biggest complaint thus far is the fuel economy. I have about 300 miles on the vehicle so far with half being from the highway drive home from the dealer, and I am sitting at 19.5 MPG. I realize there is a break in period but I was honestly hoping to be at least around 22 for a half city/half highway experience, especially as I have kept it in comfort mode 95% of the time.
I put on 120 miles in my first day with it in mixed driving mostly in Comfort. There was a lot of stop/go on the freeway. I managed 24.5 mpg and I'm sure the dealer put in 87 octane. This surprised me especially since I used ACC on the freeway and my experience with cruise control and a turbo was poor fuel economy (that was on a Ford). Wow do I ever love ACC. The Toyota system I used on a previous rental drops below 45mph but i was able to creep along at single digits in the RDX and recover to higher speeds automatically. And that "big knob" in the center has been handy a few times when i needed a little extra pep. Love it!
Old 07-21-2018, 02:53 PM
Pro

Is this normal for the Navigation? Only half the information is displayed on the top of the screen and it does not provide the Highways exit numbers. I put my finger smudge where it cuts off the information. I am thinking my display is not fully showing the entire name in the Navigation. My 2014 provided the entire name and highways exits number such as Exit 12b. This is the first navigation system that doesnt provide the entire information. Please tell me I need to take to the dealer for repair or replacement.

Top is missing information and street names are cut off. Is this correct?

Last edited by Hou-RL; 07-21-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:37 PM
Racer

Is this normal for the Navigation? Only half the information is displayed on the top of the screen and it does not provide the Highways exit numbers. I put my finger smudge where it cuts off the information. I am thinking my display is not fully showing the entire name in the Navigation. My 2014 provided the entire name and highways exits number such as Exit 12b. This is the first navigation system that doesnt provide the entire information. Please tell me I need to take to the dealer for repair or replacement.

Top is missing information and street names are cut off. Is this correct?
I can play with mine tomorrow. I used nav today but relied on the HUD. I’m pretty sure the HUD did not show the exit number.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Ours is doing the same thing and we thought it was because of a length limitation. I now notice on page 57 of the Nav manual (a sample display), it appears that it should read across. We too will play with it tomorrow afternoon to see if we can get different results.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:55 PM
Pro

Thanks Fury63 and TxLady. Please let me know what you discover. I sure hope it is a flaw somewhere or a setting that I missed.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:56 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Could not agree more. During the course of my career I can't tell you how many times I 'went to war' with other IT people who insisted on 'speaking tech' when in a user/management meeting. They thought it made them sound cool and knowledgeable when all they were accomplishing was delays and confusion. 'Tech speak' is fine in the proper forum - but only in the proper forum.

Management was just as guilty every time they came back from a seminar on the 'latest and greatest' app - whatever it was. And I'll bet a large amount of money that the marketing folks who are doing this 'market speak' would be totally unable to explain what they are saying using common language.
Jargon
jar·gon1
ˈjärɡən/
noun
  1. special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand.
Jargon is more difficult to expunge than many people know. Throughout my own career I have had to explain technicalities to people who needed things explained simply. Sometimes it was members of the public, sometimes it was subordinate employees, and in one instance it was my boss who had achieved a high position with only a high school degree. That boss was very effective in leadership and getting people to do things, but ran into difficulties dealing with the management information systems and their output. Sometimes, you can’t make complex things simple.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Pro

Ours is doing the same thing and we thought it was because of a length limitation. I now notice on page 57 of the Nav manual (a sample display), it appears that it should read across. We too will play with it tomorrow afternoon to see if we can get different results.

I am trying to find the place to modify in the setting to turn on or off the features for Navigation directions. I only see some limited instructions and it isnt very helpful for detailed options in the navigation. Surely others must have noticed that navigation failed to display much information when using it.

Last edited by Hou-RL; 07-22-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:53 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
I’m not sure if this is a problem or operator ignorance ( so much to digest technically with this new model). Does the ACC and LKAS light stay on when you start up the car? When we got ours...it had 42 miles on it, so at least a couple others test drove it before we did and ultimately purchased it. No telling what buttons were pushed.

I’ve noticed since we got it, these two lights come on and stay lit up each time weve driven it. I just started researching the owners manual and it says if they stay lit up to take it to a dealer, but I’m not sure if (cause I haven’t tried it yet) there’s a way to disengage it...in case someone turned something on before we got it.

Just thought I’d ask. We only have 70 miles on her so far. I can only find the “take to the dealer” instruction in the manual (that I have found so far), and nothing that indicates that these lights should be on - and stay on when the car is started.

2019 RDX Advance FWD (Modern Steel / Greystone)
Push the “main” button on the steering wheel. That shuts off those functions
TxLady (07-24-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 05:04 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Catman70

Push the “main” button on the steering wheel. That shuts off those functions
this!

You will also notice that at certain speeds and depending on whether the system is picking up solid or dotted lines and how far other traffic is from you, that the alerts and behavior varies. It takes a little getting used to. But to answer the question, they are always on (but not always in use per se) unless you hit the “main” button on the right side of the steering wheel.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Racer

Thanks Fury63 and TxLady. Please let me know what you discover. I sure hope it is a flaw somewhere or a setting that I missed.
it took some time to find a long road name but it does cut off half way across the screen on mine as well. Most of them fit. Still can’t tell you for sure about exit number
Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Just signed up here.
My two cents is the LKAS doesn't work very well. Some roads it handles fairly aggressive curves perfectly, but in other circumstances it doesn't maintain a straight trajectory on a straight road. I don't care, its staying off. The adaptive cruise / follow stuff works perfectly and I use it constantly.
Fob based remote start doesn't work, but I see another thread where a fellow found the dealer didn't set his up properly. Probably in the same boat.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:38 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Im fairly certain the auto start has to be selected in the vehicle settings menu to work too.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Working now, as described in the other thread. Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Fury63

it took some time to find a long road name but it does cut off half way across the screen on mine as well. Most of them fit. Still can’t tell you for sure about exit number
Thanks Fury63,
guess it is just on longs names. I tested it a few times again today and many of the names were fully available. Some of the longer names do get cut off. I can understand that and it is something I can adjust too. I meed more highway testing to determine if I can get the highway exit numbers to display when using the navigation. I really like that because it it very helpful for some locations and directions. I was thinking and realized that this is a new Android based navigation system. The old navigation system is no longer in play here so I will need to modify the way I view he navigation system. Once they release the Android auto I should be quite happy as it will play nicely with Google maps and I can use that as opposed to the Acura Navigation.
BTW...Saw a stunning modern steel metallic yesterday while shopping for a new house in Sienna Plantation area. I wonder if that was anyone on the forum. Sun was going down and made me start to question if I should have selected that color.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:02 AM
GTF
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at new RDX next year due to great value & driving experience, plus history with 4 previous Acuras.
I prefer the exterior low-chrome look of the A-Spec, but want the tech of the Advance...hopefully Acura will change wheel design for 2020 Advance.
One concern I have reviewing photos of the Advance, the front seat leather does not seem to "recover"...i.e. the bottom cushion retains a depression. I see this in OLD cars, but new ones?
Anyone experience this?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by GTF

Looking at new RDX next year due to great value & driving experience, plus history with 4 previous Acuras.
I prefer the exterior low-chrome look of the A-Spec, but want the tech of the Advance...hopefully Acura will change wheel design for 2020 Advance.
One concern I have reviewing photos of the Advance, the front seat leather does not seem to "recover"...i.e. the bottom cushion retains a depression. I see this in OLD cars, but new ones?
Anyone experience this?
Too soon to say as I only have 300 miles on. I could see however the area where the ventilation holes are “stretching” over time.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTF

Anyone experience this?
Leather is a natural material - it stretches - this happens.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:29 AM
Pro

Mine does not seem to demonstrate this yet and I have 1000 miles on mine so far, I see if on some RDX also and was worried about that too.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW...Saw a stunning modern steel metallic yesterday while shopping for a new house in Sienna Plantation area. I wonder if that was anyone on the forum. Sun was going down and made me start to question if I should have selected that color.

Really like how the chrome and modern steel look together. At least at the front.
Curious3GTL (07-24-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any negative points?