Any 2019 RDX owners that came from a Honda Pilot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Any 2019 RDX owners that came from a Honda Pilot?

Hi all.

We currently have a 2006 Pilot and it's time for a new car. I had originally crossed the RDX off my list because we wanted 3rd row seating and I seriously considered going with a 2019 Pilot... but we have decided that we don't really need the 3rd row seats. I'm very curious about the upcoming 2019 Honda Passport since it's basically a shorter Pilot without the 3rd row (and therefore might be perfect for us) but I'm re-looking into the RDX as well. I have a few questions for those that did have a Pilot and now have an RDX if you don't mind sharing.

1. How does the seat comfort / headroom / legroom / roominess of the RDX compare to the Pilot? Does it ever feel too "tight"?

2. Are you glad you went with the RDX over something else?

3. Any other thoughts or comments on the RDX vs the Pilot that might help?

Thanks very much.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:09 PM
Racer

I guess not!
Old 12-19-2018, 12:07 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Yes. Prior ( and current ) vehicles include 2016 Pilot Touring, 2012 Pilot Touring, 2014 MDX Tech, 2005 MDX Touring. Both Pilots are retired, both MDXs are current. My current primary vehicle is 2019 RDX Advance SH-AWD.

Cargo volume of 2019 RDX is less than any of these, partially because of the sloping roof. I can comfortably schlep my son to college in it ( he doesn't pack like his older sister ), but fitting dog crates in the back is a challenge. I tend to use the 2005 MDX for dog outings.

Otherwise, passenger comfort, legroom, headroom, etc are fine for 4 passengers in RDX. Front seats are the best of the bunch.

2019 RDX is much sportier than any of these, including 2014 MDX ( Don't tell my wife I said that ). It may not be much quicker, but handling is a whole different level, especially compared to the Pilots. Sound system for the Advance is also on a whole different level.

My needs have changed now that my "kids" are older and less likely to engage in epic family road trips, but if I didn't have other vehicles in the fleet ( 2014 MDX, 2005 MDX ) for occasional towing and/or larger/bulkier loads, I might not have had the courage to downsize for my primary vehicle.

Last edited by Wander; 12-19-2018 at 12:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
alpine909 (03-05-2019)
Old 12-19-2018, 08:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wander
Cargo volume of 2019 RDX is less than any of these, partially because of the sloping roof. I can comfortably schlep my son to college in it ( he doesn't pack like his older sister ), but fitting dog crates in the back is a challenge. I tend to use the 2005 MDX for dog outings.

Otherwise, passenger comfort, legroom, headroom, etc are fine for 4 passengers in RDX. Front seats are the best of the bunch.

My needs have changed now that my "kids" are older and less likely to engage in epic family road trips, but if I didn't have other vehicles in the fleet ( 2014 MDX, 2005 MDX ) for occasional towing and/or larger/bulkier loads, I might not have had the courage to downsize for my primary vehicle.
Thank you, that was very helpful. Our son is in high school now and we are also taking less family road trips, so we don't need quite as much cargo space as before (although I still like having a decent amount, just in case). I mostly want to make sure that sitting in the RDX didn't feel too cramped or tight compared to the larger Pilot (biggest concern being the front seats) but it sounds like we'll be okay. Thanks again.

Oh, and we've got a pretty large dog that we occasionally take on trips, but there should be plenty of room for that.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I hope this can be useful:

I went from a 2002 Acura MDX to the 2019 Acura RDX. The MDX served me well for sixteen years. It had lots of cargo hauling capacity. It's larger size made it more difficult to park in small downtown parking garages and parking spaces. I intentionally wanted to "downsize" to a smaller CUV for it's easier driving and parking capabilities. When the 3rd Generation RDX came out, I was "all in." Funny thing is, the new RDX is almost as long as 2002 MDX. It is fun to drive, easier to park and has so much tech features over my MDX that I have dubbed it, "The Raptor." The new RDX naturally has smaller cargo capacity than the 2002 MDX, but I can live with that. Good luck with your future purchase.

Sounds (12-20-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Sounds,

We had a 2004 Pilot EX-L for about 13 years, and now have a 2019 RDX AWD Advance. As sounds like your case, the third row in the Pilot was great at the time but became unnecessary as the kids got older.

We kept the Pilot for so long because we loved it and it treated us well. The RDX, however, is on another level. We find the seats extremely comfortable, which you would expect when they are 16-way adjustable. The RDX has more than enough room for our needs. The stereo is fantastic. The head-up display sounded like a fun gimmick but I am a convert now. It's great to see your current speed and the speed limit on the windshield, and the name of the song playing appears briefly when you change radio stations using the steering wheel controls.

We would have looked at a Passport had it been available, but wanted to move upmarket a bit so I suspect the RDX would have prevailed. We have a 2017 CR-V AWD Touring, which is nice, but the RDX is much nicer. We didn't look at much else. We were not interested in Audi, BMW, or Mercedes, and couldn't find a domestic vehicle that fit the bill.

If you haven't driven a new RDX, drive one and see what you think.

DWG
Sounds (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 06:41 AM
Racer

@EXCALIBUR1 - Thank you. By the way, tnd those are great "before and after" pictures!

@DWG - Thanks for the detailed info. The logical part of me knows that the Passport will suit us just fine (and is all we really need)... but the more I learn about the RDX the more interested I am. I'm going to take your advice and go for a test drive. Either that or completely stop reading about the RDX, save my money, and run as fast as I can.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 PM
DWG
Instructor

You are welcome, Sounds. The test drive should help. Then there is, of course, the matter of the $money$. The RDX Technology is an excellent value, but because my wife and I were treating ourselves to a nicer ride than we normally drive we went with the Advance. The extra features on the Advance are nice-to-haves, worth the premium to us but not to others. What you are willing to spend is up to you. Everything is relative, I suppose. $48K for an RDX Advance seems like a lot of money until you see a $60,000 Chevy Tahoe drive by, after which the RDX seems quite reasonable.

I'll be interested to see the features and pricing of the new Passport. Now that Honda is increasingly offering an Elite trim level above the Touring, I expect to see a Passport Elite with a lot of features formerly found only on luxury vehicles.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DWG
The RDX Technology is an excellent value, but because my wife and I were treating ourselves to a nicer ride than we normally drive we went with the Advance. The extra features on the Advance are nice-to-haves, worth the premium to us but not to others.
I would most likely want the Advance level as well.

Originally Posted by DWG
I'll be interested to see the features and pricing of the new Passport. Now that Honda is increasingly offering an Elite trim level above the Touring, I expect to see a Passport Elite with a lot of features formerly found only on luxury vehicles.
Yep, I can't make a final decision until I see the pricing on the new Passport to see just how much of a premium it will be to go with an RDX. And I would absolutely get the Elite if I go with the Passport, that's already a given.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:19 AM
Drifting

Just keep in mind that the "Elite" Honda trim packs in more features, but not necessarily more quality. I can't count how many guys complain on Piloteers about how they paid $50K for a Honda Pilot Elite, and it doesn't seem like a luxury car. Maybe that's because it's not a luxury car?
Old 12-22-2018, 08:48 AM
DWG
Instructor

Just keep in mind that the "Elite" Honda trim packs in more features, but not necessarily more quality. I can't count how many guys complain on Piloteers about how they paid $50K for a Honda Pilot Elite, and it doesn't seem like a luxury car. Maybe that's because it's not a luxury car?
I believe Wander makes a good point. Two vehicles may have similar features and still be very different. Our CR-V Touring has several features in common with our RDX, but overall the RDX is a much nicer car.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:42 AM
Racer

Yeah, I get what you're both saying. Truth is ANY new 2019 vehicle will feel like "luxury" compared to my 2006 Honda Pilot.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:07 AM
DWG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sounds
Yeah, I get what you're both saying. Truth is ANY new 2019 vehicle will feel like "luxury" compared to my 2006 Honda Pilot.
Good point, everything is relative! You are going to enjoy a lot of improvement with whatever you buy.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Truth!

I have a 2005 Pilot and am on the market for our next vehicle this coming spring/summer. The 2019 RDX is on my list to vehicles to check out and test drive.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Sounds,

It seems like your original question has been answered, by many more qualified than I, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

I came to the '19 RDX Advance SH AWD from a '12 TL SH AWD. The ride/driving is comparable to the '12 even though it is much taller.

I think you probably have already done this, but if you haven't, I would recommend looking at the problems folks are having with the infotainment system and other gremlins. There are quite a few folks on here that couldn't wait to get the RDX, but now regret the purchase because of non-ride issues. I came in knowing that the technology was going to have growing pains, but I expected the drive quality to be good. I have not been disappointed with the drive, but my technology expectations were right on target too. 2 issues I have had that were worrisome are the "limp mode" problem that I had with less than 500 miles and the one day the car "KNEW!" something was in front of us and decided to put on the brakes. Those problems are a little disconcerting, but so far I can live with them.

Would I buy this car again, yes. Just wanted to give a different view (that you really didn't ask for :-)).

Billy
Old 12-30-2018, 05:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by billyt1963
I would recommend looking at the problems folks are having with the infotainment system and other gremlins. There are quite a few folks on here that couldn't wait to get the RDX, but now regret the purchase because of non-ride issues.
Thanks Billy! Truth is I'm starting to shy away from the RDX due to all of these "gremlins." I'm not 100% decided yet so we'll see, but that's how it's looking right now.
billyt1963 (12-30-2018)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1
Slightly off topic, but I hope this can be useful:

I went from a 2002 Acura MDX to the 2019 Acura RDX. The MDX served me well for sixteen years. It had lots of cargo hauling capacity. It's larger size made it more difficult to park in small downtown parking garages and parking spaces. I intentionally wanted to "downsize" to a smaller CUV for it's easier driving and parking capabilities. When the 3rd Generation RDX came out, I was "all in." Funny thing is, the new RDX is almost as long as 2002 MDX. It is fun to drive, easier to park and has so much tech features over my MDX that I have dubbed it, "The Raptor." The new RDX naturally has smaller cargo capacity than the 2002 MDX, but I can live with that. Good luck with your future purchase.

I had a 14 and 16 MDX. Great vehicles.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:16 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I had a 14 and 16 MDX. Great vehicles.
Yes, I remember you well from the mdxers.org forum days.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
How'd I miss this thread? I still have my '03 Pilot w/ 183,000 mi. on it. It's reliability has been incredible. So much for "1st model year problems". Only one major repair (seized AC compressor last year) in 16 years. It's coming up on its next timing belt change, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it. Not worth very much but it still runs like a watch.

Before I started shopping for a new car, I just assumed I would get another Pilot. But I looked around a lot first. Started at the bottom and worked my way up. Hyundai, Nissan, Honda, Lexus, Acura ...

Nothing I drove came close to the RDX. Even the RX350 didn't impress me that much. And, at about 10K more than the Pilot and 7K more than the RDX, I thought it was way overpriced. If I hadn't gotten the RDX, I probably would have gotten another Pilot EX-L. What got me interested in the RDX originally was the fact that I don't need another useless 3rd row and they made the Pilot even longer and wider. I didn't need more car. I actually wanted a little less but with more where it counts. I had a CRV as a loaner last year when they were replacing my AC compressor and I didn't care for it much. The RDX is by no means the same car, even though most people think it's still based on the same platform.

Assuming I can iron out the little bugs, I think the RDX is the ideal replacement for my Pilot.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
My bro in law bought an '05 Pilot in '07 with ~30,000 miles on it. Now has over 200,000 miles. It's his wife's daily driver, and she carries senior citizens around in it daily. He claims it has been flawless, but almost every month he has it in the shop yet again for something else. He has spent hundreds, (probably thousands) on the AC system alone in recent months. I don't think he has ever had the timing belt changed. (I'll have to ask him when I see him this weekend) They put seat covers on as the leather is all cracked. He is totally in denial that it is time to replace it. He doesn't see that he is spending the equivalent of a car payment each month on an old vehicle that doesn't have the safety features of today vehicles. And.... he CAN afford a new car. I think he said he is averaging around 17 MPG.

Different strokes, as they say!

Last edited by JB in AZ; 03-05-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for this info. This is a perfect thread for me too. I have a 13 Pilot Touring with 130k miles. Road trips and daily work commute have added up the miles. The Pilot has been great, but I"m ready for something new. I drove the RDX and loved it. I drove the Passport. Very nice, but felt EXACTLY the same as my Pilot. It has a few updated tech features, but driving style felt identical. That's a good and bad thing. My wife liked the familiarity of it. For me it seemed silly to buy a new car that didn't feel "new" or different. Both nice vehicles.
I think we'll end up with the RDX.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by alpine909
Thanks for this info. This is a perfect thread for me too. I have a 13 Pilot Touring with 130k miles. Road trips and daily work commute have added up the miles. The Pilot has been great, but I"m ready for something new. I drove the RDX and loved it. I drove the Passport. Very nice, but felt EXACTLY the same as my Pilot. It has a few updated tech features, but driving style felt identical. That's a good and bad thing. My wife liked the familiarity of it. For me it seemed silly to buy a new car that didn't feel "new" or different. Both nice vehicles.
I think we'll end up with the RDX.
Just make sure you do a realistic assessment of whether you can afford to downsize cargo capacity. Especially for bulky items and/or road trips. Pilot's cargo area is MUCH taller than RDX's, and the hatch is more vertical.

Yeah, Pilot handles more like a minivan, but it also has capacity more like a minivan. I haven't driven Passport, so I'm not sure how much those attributes carry over. But from reviews, Passport sounds like a shortened, somewhat stiffer Pilot with some manly plastic cladding to make it look outdoorsy.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
If you are getting AWD then this might help you. It explains the difference in the systems between Honda ivtm vs SH AWD. Many folks have said they are the same, I have thought so too until I saw this video.

https://youtu.be/TXSK-B_Hi_Y
NooYawkuh (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Just make sure you do a realistic assessment of whether you can afford to downsize cargo capacity. Especially for bulky items and/or road trips...
+1 on this point. Seems like I keep running into this issue once a week. Sometimes it's just a nuisance other times it's a royal pain.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:56 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
+1 on this point. Seems like I keep running into this issue once a week. Sometimes it's just a nuisance other times it's a royal pain.
I find that the volume of chronically present crap I carry in my vehicle tends to expand to the size of the vehicle. Let's call it "NooYawkuh's Law".
Old 03-06-2019, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I find that the volume of chronically present crap I carry in my vehicle tends to expand to the size of the vehicle. Let's call it "NooYawkuh's Law".
I'm just the opposite. Other than a set of golf clubs that pretty much take up permanent residence during the season I try to keep it empty, neat and clean.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
My storage cubbies abide by the law. The rest of it, not so much.

On the issue of AWD, there have been several versions of the SH-AWD differential and the VTM-4 rear diff that preceded it, and they have been deployed in numerous Acura and Honda products.

AFAIK the "iVTM" AWD rear differential in 3rd-gen AWD Pilot is physically the same unit as what is currently deployed in 3rd-gen SH-AWD MDX. The control software is tuned differently to account for the higher center of gravity and softer suspension of Pilot.

The SH-AWD in 2019 RDX has a slightly revised version of the SH-AWD rear diff, but I think much of the difference we feel in terms of handling crispness and aggressive "turn-in" is due to the the brake-based "agile handling assist".

But the current CR-V has a different, less sophisticated AWD system. I believe the Passport uses some version of the SH-AWD rear diff.

Last edited by Wander; 03-06-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:15 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi all.

1. How does the seat comfort / headroom / legroom / roominess of the RDX compare to the Pilot? Does it ever feel too "tight"?

2. Are you glad you went with the RDX over something else?

3. Any other thoughts or comments on the RDX vs the Pilot that might help?

Thanks very much.
Own 2017 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD and 2019 Acura RDX Adv FWD
1. Honda has 3rd row so comparing only 1st & 2nd row: Pilot EX-L front seats are less adjustable, only have heat, car itself is longer, taller, wider so 2nd row bench equals more room. It slides and tilts. RDX Front seats are more adjustable and add ventilation. Mostly a 4 person car, Never tried 5. But I wanted a sedan replacement so smaller is better for me. RDX front seats cradle you more. Pilot’s are a bit more generic to appease a wider audience.

2. I am mixed about the 4 cylinder turbo only because I’m coming from a BMW in-line 6 turbo that was nothing less than awesome. It’s quick, fun, massive sunroof. HUD is Cool, Large, & useful but you can get that on a lot of other cars.

3. Pilot is bigger bumpier and truck like compared to smaller lighter sportier RDX. They are not the same at all. I suspect new Passport will more Pilot than RDX. I can’t speak to Pilot Touring which may have magnetic ride like RDX Advance. I can select 3 levels of soft, medium, hard ride
Old 03-06-2019, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SH4RKT00TH
3. Pilot is bigger bumpier and truck like compared to smaller lighter sportier RDX. They are not the same at all. I suspect new Passport will more Pilot than RDX. I can’t speak to Pilot Touring which may have magnetic ride like RDX Advance. I can select 3 levels of soft, medium, hard ride
I don't think any Pilot has active shock absorbers, nor do I think one ever will. I know my 2016 Pilot Touring didn't have them.

But I do like the ones in my 2019 RDX Advance SH-AWD. However, they are not magnetorheological (MR); they use solenoid actuated control valves in an external secondary hydraulic circuit to adjust damping on a relatively short timescale. You can see these external assemblies attached to the side of the shock absorber columns. AFAIK it's not just a static valving adjustment, like an old-school manually adjustable Koni shock, it responds in real time to transients ( big bumps ) and lateral loads ( cornering ). Anyway, I LIKE.

MR shocks are good, but they are very expensive to replace. Check the 2nd-gen MDX forums for comments on that, and the stuff guys do to replace them with conventional shocks when they wear out.

Unless our vehicles have controls I don't know about, the 2019 RDX Advance shock absorber response is linked to the overall "dynamic mode" setting. There are no independent settings.

Last edited by Wander; 03-06-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
My storage cubbies abide by the law. The rest of it, not so much.

On the issue of AWD, there have been several versions of the SH-AWD differential and the VTM-4 rear diff that preceded it, and they have been deployed in numerous Acura and Honda products.

AFAIK the "iVTM" AWD rear differential in 3rd-gen AWD Pilot is physically the same unit as what is currently deployed in 3rd-gen SH-AWD MDX. The control software is tuned differently to account for the higher center of gravity and softer suspension of Pilot.

The SH-AWD in 2019 RDX has a slightly revised version of the SH-AWD rear diff, but I think much of the difference we feel in terms of handling crispness and aggressive "turn-in" is due to the the brake-based "agile handling assist".
Definitely watch the YouTube video on this. It even shows how the two system handles in same terrain despite being mechanically identitical. Another thing I was not aware of before the video was how sh-awd behaves on incline. It's really super!

I didn't think sh-awd uses brake assist in this generation (Mazda torque vectoring does this) but shifts power as it see fit.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Drifting

My fuzzy understanding is that agile handling assist applies the brakes on the inside wheels during corning, to reduce understeer and enhance turn-in. This is independent of whether engine power is being applied.

Mechanical SH-AWD can't torque vector when there's no torque to vector.

Sport Hybrid SH-AWD actually can torque vector off-throttle ( because it uses regenerative braking on the "inside" electric motor ) and allegedly this a valuable feature of the current NSX. How much it matters in other implementations of SH SH-AWD seems to be somewhat controversial. If you're doing hot laps at the track in an NSX, you probably want it to use the brakes as little as necessary. Tooling around the neighborhood in an MDX, maybe it doesn't matter so much.

Back to topic ( sorta ), I don't know if agile handling assist is deployed in current Pilot or Passport. But brake-based traction control and stability control are definitely deployed. And for the most part, they work.
acuraada (03-07-2019)