Alex on Autos reviews the Infotainment system

Old 05-30-2018, 11:21 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Honestly, all Acura needs to do is release a software update, fixing Apple car play to work as intended with the touch pad. For all we know, apple is already working on it. Android auto is the same... It will be available with an update in due time. The difference being that you get one now, but flawed, while you have to wait for the other, but it will be right. By the 2020 model, all of this will more than likely be resolved, if not sooner.

This isn't Acura's fault whatsoever. We want them to move forward with new tech and thats exactly what they did. I'm not even sure it is Google's or Apple's fault either. It's just something that will get worked out.

Personally, I'd rather have the car now than have to wait 3-6 months for them to get some basic software functions right.
Well said... And the good news is, meanwhile,  CarPlay is still backward-compatible wirh the state-of-the-art TTI, albeit not a touchscreen.

The alternative was ”CarDon’tPlay.” LOL
Old 05-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Based on Alex's video interacting with CarPlay using the TTI seems the same as one would do with a dial wheel. It's really not a big deal. I'm just happy to finally have CarPlay available.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by mcrompton
Based on Alex's video interacting with CarPlay using the TTI seems the same as one would do with a dial wheel. It's really not a big deal. I'm just happy to finally have CarPlay available.
Yup. And i think i had that in reverse — TTI is the one that's backward-compatible with CarPlay, meaning it’s reaching back and still giving love to CarPlay’s older tech. lol
Old 05-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by mcrompton
A rotary dial would skip directly from icon to icon, making it easier to navigate while driving. I don't believe Alex covered it, but if it's CarPlay is fully integrated, you should be able to make selections directly on your iPhone, too, which might prove to be the better option for some. And then there's Siri when all else fails, assuming Siri understands you, that is. (I have no accent, and Siri rarely understands me.)

It's better to have CarPlay with a compromised interface than not at all, but I still think it would have been far easier to just offer a touchscreen. Another option is rarely a bad thing.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
[...] Siri rarely understands me
She's a girl. What do you expect?
Old 05-30-2018, 01:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Wander
Old 05-30-2018, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Old 05-30-2018, 04:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-launch-patch/

This may quell the angst about no Android Auto at launch.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I tested an Advance today and paid close attention to the integration of CarPlay with the TTI. I think it is fine and after about 10 seconds was not problematic at all at selecting the icon I wanted. I am a big believer in the touchpad as I personally have noticed myself taking my eyes off the road when using the touchscreen. The touchpad definitely lends itself to keeping the eyes on the road.

Al the earlier concerns from Alex's review are premature in my opinion. It works well and shouldn't be an issue.
The following 3 users liked this post by r1ckster:
a35tl (05-30-2018), birdonamission (05-30-2018), mapleloaf (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by r1ckster
I tested an Advance today and paid close attention to the integration of CarPlay with the TTI. I think it is fine and after about 10 seconds was not problematic at all at selecting the icon I wanted. I am a big believer in the touchpad as I personally have noticed myself taking my eyes off the road when using the touchscreen. The touchpad definitely lends itself to keeping the eyes on the road.

Al the earlier concerns from Alex's review are premature in my opinion. It works well and shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks for your impressions. That's good to hear. Looking forward to sitting in one and trying for myself -- just have to decide when.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
In reading the comments here, my thoughts drifted to one of the basic differences between Apple and Android and one of the principles Apple adheres to in their universe.

Apple wants a single, one size fits all operating system with each device capability. It is also a closed, proprietary system. Android is an open system and allows for each company using the template (think phones) to customize/tweak the software so theirs "stands out". The result is that Apple, in their rigid way, ends up dictating usage but their software is updates are usually timely, available to everybody at the same time and they pretty much work. OK, all software has issues/bugs, but Apple has one piece to concentrate on to fix it - the base (and only version) of the software. I left the Android world behind because of the dumpster fire for every release wondering when , or if, [insert phone company model] the phone would be updated.

Because of the admittedly oversimplified reasons above, I believe the expectation that Apple and Acura might customize the software and add a touch screen capability and/or do a true touch track pad for CarPlay just isn't going to happen. It would follow that they would then develop a unique solution for Lexus and their infotainment mess an Audi's Virtual Cockpit and so on. Could it be done?. Sure. But it won't be. Apple is interested in a single, standard, one size fits all operating software that will work when CarPlay is plugged in. At least that is what their history has shown.

The number of complaints on the thread about how the new system works or doesn't work are somewhat confusing given that there have been only a very few individuals who have physically actually tried it so far. There are a couple of options here - eyes up touchpad for the Acura and eyes up voice control for the Apple piece. It is true that the eyes need to go down for the use of the touchpad for CarPlay, but that well may end up being because the purportedly excellent voice control hasn't been learned yet by drivers to obviate the need for true touch/touch pad/touch screen usage. Frankly, one of the things I have been excited about is the elimination of a touch screen in the RDX. For me, way too distracting and worrisome that others on the road are also being distracted.

My plan is to go and actually try the whole system and see how it works and if the combination of the touch pad and CarPlay voice control get the job done. THen I can form an opinion based on fact and experience. Until I do, I will follow the excellent advice of Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers and just, relax. :-)
The following 3 users liked this post by Ray3:
birdonamission (05-30-2018), Madd Dog (05-30-2018), Notte (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray3
In reading the comments here, my thoughts drifted to one of the basic differences between Apple and Android and one of the principles Apple adheres to in their universe.

Apple wants a single, one size fits all operating system with each device capability. It is also a closed, proprietary system. Android is an open system and allows for each company using the template (think phones) to customize/tweak the software so theirs "stands out". The result is that Apple, in their rigid way, ends up dictating usage but their software is updates are usually timely, available to everybody at the same time and they pretty much work. OK, all software has issues/bugs, but Apple has one piece to concentrate on to fix it - the base (and only version) of the software. I left the Android world behind because of the dumpster fire for every release wondering when , or if, [insert phone company model] the phone would be updated.

Because of the admittedly oversimplified reasons above, I believe the expectation that Apple and Acura might customize the software and add a touch screen capability and/or do a true touch track pad for CarPlay just isn't going to happen. It would follow that they would then develop a unique solution for Lexus and their infotainment mess an Audi's Virtual Cockpit and so on. Could it be done?. Sure. But it won't be. Apple is interested in a single, standard, one size fits all operating software that will work when CarPlay is plugged in. At least that is what their history has shown.

The number of complaints on the thread about how the new system works or doesn't work are somewhat confusing given that there have been only a very few individuals who have physically actually tried it so far. There are a couple of options here - eyes up touchpad for the Acura and eyes up voice control for the Apple piece. It is true that the eyes need to go down for the use of the touchpad for CarPlay, but that well may end up being because the purportedly excellent voice control hasn't been learned yet by drivers to obviate the need for true touch/touch pad/touch screen usage. Frankly, one of the things I have been excited about is the elimination of a touch screen in the RDX. For me, way too distracting and worrisome that others on the road are also being distracted.

My plan is to go and actually try the whole system and see how it works and if the combination of the touch pad and CarPlay voice control get the job done. THen I can form an opinion based on fact and experience. Until I do, I will follow the excellent advice of Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers and just, relax. :-)
Agreed!
Old 06-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
You're blaming Apple? Sorry, but I don't see it. The whole point of CarPlay is to mimic the interface of the phone itself, which a touchscreen does perfectly.

Apple controls how the interface works that is why Android Auto is delayed as they require a touch screen right now, once Google updates Android auto there will be an update to the RDX to support Android auto.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
CarPlay currently supports a touchpad while Android Auto does not. It remains to be seen whether Google gives us true touch 1:1 capability in the RDX or if they simply add touchpad support same as CarPlay. If it's the former then great and well worth the wait as it will provide superior controls. If it's the latter then they are simply catching up to Apple.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:23 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Until Car Play over Bluetooth is supported on more vehicles, I’d imagine it gets very limited use. Plugging in your phone to use a minimally more intuitive interface just isn’t worth it for most consumers.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
ios 12 will allow google maps / waze while using apple car play, that should be a good news to many iphone users.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by theredia92
The reason Apple CarPlay works the way it does on the new RDX is because Apple has not fully developed the software to make its program work with the 1:1 True TouchPad. No one is blaming Apple, but they need to develop the correct software to fully integrate their system with Acura's. That is Apple's responsibility as a software company. I am positive that when Acura gives us Android Auto in the coming months, that system will work with the 1:1 positioning. Acura and Android has done their parts, Apple now needs to do theirs.
i disagree. Apple makes the car play software as a closed API. They’ll give the car manufacturers what they need to integrate but it’s upntonthe car makers to design their tech to work within the parameters of the Apple software. Apple doesn’t make cars. There’s way more cars and car tech out there than versions of iPhones and ios apps. It would be impossible for them to make the car play work with every car. So they’re just saying here’s the software, here’s what it does, it’s up to you how you design your system to integrate it. Whether that be touchscreen or touchpad.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I read through this entire thread and I will not multi-quote a response, but I will say, that unless you made the effort to test it out in person, do not criticize it and assume anything based on a quick review video. I've been playing with this new system at the dealer multiple times and I have to say that this is the best system I have ever used. Once you train your brain and use it the way it was intended, you'll see how good this new interface is.

In the past 2 weeks, I've tested multiple infotainment systems from MB, Lexus, Audi and BMW (I actually own a BMW and hate the iDrive system). My sister, who is in the process of buying the RDX, initially was skeptical, but just like me, after playing with it on 3 separate occasions for a combined total of maybe 20 minutes, agreed that it is the most intuitive, user friendly, and logically laid out interface out of all the makes. I can see how this will eventually get implemented across multiple car manufacturers. IMHO, they did a fantastic job on this new system.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

i disagree. Apple makes the car play software as a closed API. They’ll give the car manufacturers what they need to integrate but it’s upntonthe car makers to design their tech to work within the parameters of the Apple software. Apple doesn’t make cars. There’s way more cars and car tech out there than versions of iPhones and ios apps. It would be impossible for them to make the car play work with every car. So they’re just saying here’s the software, here’s what it does, it’s up to you how you design your system to integrate it. Whether that be touchscreen or touchpad

Then why hasn't Android Auto been released yet? Ill tell you why, its because they recognize that a new system has been introduced to the market and they want their software to be compatible with it. Remember that even though hundreds of cars are on sale today from different manufactures, there really is only 3 different types of infotainment options that Apple needs their program to work with...a touchscreen, a control dial, or a track-pad. On June 1st a 4th type of system was introduced. While currently its the only system on the market like it, I am positive in the coming years it will be replicated by other car brands. As a software company Apple need to develop their software to work with the newest infotainment options that automotive manufactures are introducing. I recently got a chance to use Acura's new system in person. While Apple CarPlay does work with Acura's new system, it does feel outdated and unintuitive compared to it. Once you get used to using the True Touchpad, and you see how easy it is to work Acura's new system, then you switch to CarPlay, my first thought was... yea it does work, but Acura's system is easier to use. Now in my mind, that doesn't make Acura look bad, it makes Apple. "Why cant I just click the top right of the touchpad to click the icon on the top right of the screen like I normal would,...well because Apple's software doesn't support that."

Last edited by theredia92; 06-09-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by theredia92
Then why hasn't Android Auto been released yet? Ill tell you why, its because they recognize that a new system has been introduced to the market and they want their software to be compatible with it. Remember that even though hundreds of cars are on sale today from different manufactures, there really is only 3 different types of infotainment options that Apple needs their program to work with...a touchscreen, a control dial, or a track-pad. On June 1st a 4th type of system was introduced. While currently its the only system on the market like it, I am positive in the coming years it will be replicated by other car brands. As a software company Apple need to develop their software to work with the newest infotainment options that automotive manufactures are introducing. I recently got a chance to use Acura's new system in person. While Apple CarPlay does work with Acura's new system, it does feel outdated and unintuitive compared to it. Once you get used to using the True Touchpad, and you see how easy it is to work Acura's new system, then you switch to CarPlay, my first thought was... yea it does work, but Acura's system is easier to use. Now in my mind, that doesn't make Acura look bad, it makes Apple. "Why cant I just click the top right of the touchpad to click the icon on the top right of the screen like I normal would,...well because Apple's software doesn't support that."
what android decides to do has nothing to do with how Apple runs their company. Android is an open API so developers can get the code and do what they want essentially and as a company androids philosophy has been to be open so it would against their philosophy to lock down their system and to not make their system compatible. It’s no secret that Apple keeps their stuff on lockdown. They don’t like to work with anything that isn’t Apple or hasn’t been at least i part designed by Apple. As An example my printer at wont print because it doesn’t have apples air print feature. And Apple TV is another good example. compare
that to comparable systems from other manufacturers like roku. It’s just how they are as a company.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Having spent the last couple of days with the system (and it is a little bit of a learning curve to set it up) I can say that I am very pleased with the system. I can control everything from the HUD and so far voice navigation has been working well for me. I do like the ability to actually write on the touchpad what you are looking for (such as Pizza)... Just write it and it finds it...

You also have to mess with the system settings a little bit to get the audio the way you like it, but you do that with any other system... I am looking forward to Android Auto as I am used to using Waze for my commute to work and home to avoid traffic and other crazy stuff...
Old 06-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I like the iDrive in my Bimmer, but the learning curve was steep. What I like most about it is the depth of flexibility it gives you, and the fact that you don’t have to take your eyes off the road much once you learn it.

To be fair, I am a techie, read all the manuals, and love to learn stuff. My wife, however, was totally intimidated and has learned nothing about the iDrive, and avoids driving the 535 if I am not with her.

Such is technology in cars.