Add Me To The List of former RDX owners

Old 03-20-2019, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Add Me To The List of former RDX owners

...of former RDX owners. Traded the RDX and gone back to the GM family. Not as much fun to drive but much more suitable for my needs (and cheaper than adding yet one more vehicle to the stable).

Why? Primarily because, as I've mentioned in a number of posts, the RDX is just too small for what I need (my problem in not doing proper 'due diligence', not Acura's) - and as winter is ending I'm finding that to be more and more true. Been thinking about this for a while and finally bit the bullet and pulled the trigger. The fact that I got over $10K in incentives did make the decision easier.

While I never had any issues with my RDX other than a couple of very minor infotainment glitches I can't say that the potential for oil dilution, 'limp' mode, infotainment blackout or not shutting off, 'function not available', etc. made me sleep better so I won't have that in the background any more.

Best of luck to those having issues in getting them resolved, and hopefully those that don't will continue down that road.

Now, off on a 2 day mini road trip to get properly acquainted with the new ride.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
What build version did you have? I've been noticing most of the issues were from purchasers in the first few months which came with software 1.0.4.

The consistent issues (moaning tailgate, transmission shifts etc) in the early production builds have mostly quiet down over the last few months.
The following users liked this post:
romer (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
What's the new ride?
Old 03-20-2019, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
How much of a loss did you take trading it in? I'm on the fence about doing the same. Been holding out hope for the magic update that fixes all my issues.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Njbrandon
How much of a loss did you take trading it in? I'm on the fence about doing the same. Been holding out hope for the magic update that fixes all my issues.
I’m sure it’s not far away
Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
...of former RDX owners. Traded the RDX and gone back to the GM family. Not as much fun to drive but much more suitable for my needs (and cheaper than adding yet one more vehicle to the stable).

Why? Primarily because, as I've mentioned in a number of posts, the RDX is just too small for what I need (my problem in not doing proper 'due diligence', not Acura's) - and as winter is ending I'm finding that to be more and more true. Been thinking about this for a while and finally bit the bullet and pulled the trigger. The fact that I got over $10K in incentives did make the decision easier.

While I never had any issues with my RDX other than a couple of very minor infotainment glitches I can't say that the potential for oil dilution, 'limp' mode, infotainment blackout or not shutting off, 'function not available', etc. made me sleep better so I won't have that in the background any more.

Best of luck to those having issues in getting them resolved, and hopefully those that don't will continue down that road.

Now, off on a 2 day mini road trip to get properly acquainted with the new ride.
You can't give us all that information and then stop short of what model you got!
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
romer (03-20-2019), zroger73 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
You can't give us all that information and then stop short of what model you got!
Yada yada yada.

As for the potential for lost sleep, probably best to stay off the GM forums. Or any forums, really.

Good luck with your new ride.

Last edited by Wander; 03-20-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
Yada yada yada.

As for the potential for lost sleep, probably best to stay off the GM forums. Or any forums, really.

Good luck with your new ride.
Hey! Inquiring minds like to know!

For what it's worth, I seen the new Chevy Blazer on the road 2 days ago and it looked INCREDIBLE. Too bad it's got the build quality of dollar store toys and the price tag of an Audi.
justnspace (03-23-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
And also poor reliability!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PAPI007
I'm not so sure it will. The engine has been around for a long time and the transmission has been out for 2 years now. Otherwise it really isn't doing anything new for GM and therefore I do actually see it being fairly reliable. Resale will be quite poor too though. Whoch means I could grab an RS in 2 years for 1/3 of the price or less lol.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
I have to say, it's a bold move to admit you couldn't figure out how big the RDX is compared to what you needed. Bravo for admitting that you didn't do your homework when you picked your new car. Good luck with your family truckster.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:56 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
... I seen the new Chevy Blazer on the road 2 days ago and it looked INCREDIBLE. Too bad it's got the build quality of dollar store toys and the price tag of an Audi.
How do you know? The 2019 Blazer has only been on the market a couple of months and has absolutely nothing in common with the past Trailblazer, S-10 Blazer, or K5 Blazer other than the name.

Despite my poor experience with a 2019 RDX, I'm still a dedicated and loyal Honda fan mostly because of the reliability and resale value. However, there's no denying that Honda is considerably removed from its former self while other brands have improved significantly. When choosing a vehicle, one should be careful to avoid tunnel vision and be willing to accept that Honda isn't the only manufacturer out there.

This past weekend, I helped my parents buy a 2019 Equinox to replace their 2015 Equinox that they gave to my sister. Within a few hours, we bought a $30K Equinox for $23K with very little effort. I'm no longer a GM fan like I once was, but I can't deny that the Equinox is a very pleasant little SUV. They didn't have a single problem with their 2015 over four years and 36K miles.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
How do you know? The 2019 Blazer has only been on the market a couple of months and has absolutely nothing in common with the past Trailblazer, S-10 Blazer, or K5 Blazer other than the name.

Despite my poor experience with a 2019 RDX, I'm still a dedicated and loyal Honda fan mostly because of the reliability and resale value. However, there's no denying that Honda is considerably removed from its former self while other brands have improved significantly. When choosing a vehicle, one should be careful to avoid tunnel vision and be willing to accept that Honda isn't the only manufacturer out there.

This past weekend, I helped my parents buy a 2019 Equinox to replace their 2015 Equinox that they gave to my sister. Within a few hours, we bought a $30K Equinox for $23K with very little effort. I'm no longer a GM fan like I once was, but I can't deny that the Equinox is a very pleasant little SUV. They didn't have a single problem with their 2015 over four years and 36K miles.
The fact that it was so easy for you to get that discount, will be reflected in the resale value in 4 years when they are ready to trade again. But you know that.
PAPI007 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Who doesn't know? All Chevy products are mostly known for unreliability! Argue that point with someone else.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
All Chevy products are mostly known for unreliability!
I'm just going to put this right here...

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...ility-studyvds
Old 03-22-2019, 01:54 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
sweet..my volvo isnt last!!!
Old 03-22-2019, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm just going to put this right here...

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...ility-studyvds
here's the flaw in JD Powers, not all problems are created equally. With the advent of the concept of "infotainment" you have "problems" that don't disable the car or cause it to not operate. To JD Powers, someone not being able to listen to music from their USB stick is just as important than a car that won't start.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Wow. Acura down there with the likes of Jaguar, Land Rover and Jeep. Ouch.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
It's based on ownership of 2016 model year vehicles. So around the time when the ZF9 issue was hitting its stride on the TLX, MDX, Pilot, etc.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Drifting

Do I have to cross-shop Jeeps? I still have scars on my knuckles from fixing my last one every weekend so it would make it to work Monday. And that was decades ago.

Pilot's infotainment system was a mess in 2016 as well. Deja vu all over again.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NJMaverick
I have to say, it's a bold move to admit you couldn't figure out how big the RDX is compared to what you needed. Bravo for admitting that you didn't do your homework when you picked your new car. Good luck with your family truckster.
Maybe more to do with changing needs ( such as kids moving away to college ) that didn't change quite as much as anticipated. With that, I can relate, but I'm not quite ready to jump ship. Yet.

After the next software update, we'll talk...
Old 03-22-2019, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I thought the OP’s reason for switching out of the RDX was the realization he needed a bigger car. What does JD Powers have to do with that?

It would be pretty funny if a month or two after driving his new car he realized he needed an even bigger car!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
It would be pretty funny if a month or two after driving his new car he realized he needed an even bigger car!
This is why you should never buy a boat. You will always "need" a bigger boat.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
JustMe... (03-23-2019), Marino Moutafis (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 01:24 AM
Suzuka Master

How do I know it has a dollar store interior? I know because it was mentioned in the numerous reviews and from the copious (read way too damn much) use of hard plastics such as on the dash and upper door sills. The cheap carpeting used in the cargo area that only covers the middle area and not the sides of the bottom or up the vertical areas....etc.

I'm not trying to sound snobby but once you've driven something with a high build quality, it becomes painfully obvious when spotting areas of low quality or cost cutting in other vehicles.

As per reliability, I was stating that I do expect higher than average reliability with this model.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:51 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
As far as Honda/Acura goes... The issues are usually reported in patterns, and remedies are usually readily available. Well, infotainment, oil/gas mixing and the ZF-9 which is more ZF's fault than Honda. (Pattern failures early on with Hondacuras, tell me in 10-15 years how the GM's are holding up, or ask @gatrhumpy )

Like I said before, I drove a new Odyssey, and I loved it. I liked how the ZF-9 worked. It felt a little different, but it juices out the power from the J35 extremely well! I would love to have a new TLX A-Spec or SH-AWD MDX.

Nothing on the Odyssey felt wrong and honestly it felt just like driving my 2007 RDX or 2008 TL. It still felt like a Honda to me.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Pro

Received 533 Likes on 262 Posts
I would not sleep well with that GM reliability and horrible resale value. Just don't change your mind too soon on it. You should have just upgraded to an MDX. They have great deals on them now since they are at the end of their life cycle. To each his own....
PAPI007 (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX

I would be interested in how much of a hit (diff between msrp and trading), and also what you got next. The only cars I had my eye on were the XC40 (not available then and after I say in I didn't think much of it, the XC60 (a bit too big and quality issues), and the caddy XT4 (not yet available at time of decision and not sure if it's available now). If I can get more comfortable seats in similar or smaller SUV than the RDX, then I may consider switch too. I would like to try the XT4 and UX.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
If was excitement about the new ride, or disappointment with the RDX, then it deosn't matter whether it makes financial sense to make the switch.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:15 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
I would not sleep well with that GM reliability and horrible resale value. Just don't change your mind too soon on it. You should have just upgraded to an MDX. They have great deals on them now since they are at the end of their life cycle. To each his own....

Aggreed!