Adaptive Front Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Mine look the same as yours so no need for a picture.

There is a hot spot in #5, just not as defined/focused as 6 & 7 so likely a result of reflector/lens design. The edges are too sharp and the color fringing is the same in 5 as in 6 & 7 so this, as well as the overall intensity of the output of 5, leads me to believe it's not light spilling over from 4 & 6. If you look closely you can see the total output from 5 appears to be about the same as 6 & 7 but distributed differently.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Actually there is no hotspot at all on the 5th LED on mine, i just could not get a better picture of it....

Hotspots on all other LEDs look the same....

I could be wrong though...
Old 08-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
From page 189 of the owners manual: The adaptive front lighting system (AFS) helps to improve visibility during nighttime driving. The AFS optimizes the distribution of light from the low beam headlights according to the degree to which the steering wheel is turned when the vehicle is rounding a curve.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

It's your picture where I see the #5 hot spot.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
I hope one of those intrepid reporters from the auto press (especially the ones who reported on IIHS' awarding of the "TOP SAFETY PICK+" rating) come here sometimes and peruse threads like this and see the mighty and stupendous struggles we're having trying to figure this stuff out on our own, "Adaptive Lights...yes, no, maybe so??," and call in a chit to someone at Acura and then write about it to settle the matter once and for all.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
It's your picture where I see the #5 hot spot.

As I mentioned earlier, its just a reflexion. I was not able to see a hotspot on the 5th LED.

I guess best way would be see if we actually have the AFS module behind the glovebox.....
Old 08-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pgeorg
..I guess best way would be see if we actually have the AFS module behind the glovebox.....
Have at it....

Old 08-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
The high beams cast more light higher and "down the road" but also throw more light high and laterally "into the ditch", relative to low beams. As is evident in the IIHS report diagrams. The two medial elements ( 6,7 ) may be dedicated to highly focused "down the road" lighting and the 5th element to casting a more disperse beam laterally. Hence the less obvious "hot spot".

This would make perfect sense if the headlight system is "adaptive" and the 5th element is the one that gets recruited on demand during low beam operation. That's my read of the technical document posted above. ( Although it would be nice to be able to read the superscripts and see how they correspond to the footnotes ).

The "jewel eye" elements are independent source/lens/reflector units in this design. Whatever is going on, I doubt "light spillage" aside from backscatter off the acrylic front shield.

It's certainly interesting that there are different part numbers for Advance headlight assemblies vs Tech and Base. A-spec headlight assembly also has a unique part number, but that can be explained by black vs chrome trim.

I made a feeble effort to peek up behind the passenger side of the dashboard, but the lower panel won't come off without removing the glove box. Peeking through the "port" for the cabin filter at the back of the glove box wasn't very productive. But if someone has a fiberoptic viewer, you could probably sneak it in there.

No listing on the driver's kick panel fuse box for AFS. The fuse box is different for Advance vs all other trims. But Advance has stock foglights, unlike other trims, and also hands-free tailgate lift.

I like all the ideas that are being proposed and debated, and the different experimental approaches to gathering some actual data. It makes for a lively discussion.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
One other question (this might sound super obvious sorry), but has anyone tried reading the inside of the headlight? In my experience some manufacturers will literally write "bmw dynamic lights" or "genesis dynamic laser lights" somewhere within the headlight housing. If someone with a Canadian spec advance/platinum could check theirs to see.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Drifting

I got out my highly focused dive light and I can see some interesting things inside those "jewels". Including a flat reflector on the medial aspect of the 5th element. Also, the 6 and 7 elements have "corrugated" front lenses but the 5th does not.

I can view the LED sources of elements 1-4 and 6-7 from along the axis of the vehicle by shining the dive light light back through the lenses, but I have to shift about 5 degrees laterally to view the #5 source.

And I get the same result viewing the illuminated lights with the eclipse glasses. As expected, only the 4 lateral elements are illuminated on "low beams". All elements are illuminated on "high beams", but the "hot spot" of the 5th element is only visible from off-axis laterally.

I have no interest in hanging off the hood at 35 mph with my eclipse glasses on, sorry!
pgeorg (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wander
...I have no interest in hanging off the hood at 35 mph with my eclipse glasses on, sorry!
Same thing my wife said - although her word choice was somewhat different than yours.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Wander,

I really appreciate all the info you have provided, and all your knowledge on this subject! Thank you!

If you look at the installation instructions of the illuminated side sills, you will notice that the cover under the glove box comes off pretty easy. I will try to take it off myself, when I get a chance in the next couple of days.

Take a look at the installation instructions and let me know what you think.

2019 Acura RDX Illuminated Door Sill Trims
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII07802-01.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...II07802-01.PDF
Old 08-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wander
...only the 4 lateral elements are illuminated on "low beams". All elements are illuminated on "high beams", but the "hot spot" of the 5th element is only visible from off-axis laterally...
The next logical step (short of getting an answer directly from Acura/Honda) is for one of our Canadian members (with the appropriate trim level) to take pictures of elements 1-4, 5, & 6-7 in the low beam and high beam settings.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 08-12-2018 at 01:41 PM.
pgeorg (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Comparing the part numbers between the advanced and tech trims, I noticed that the headlight part numbers are different and the AFS control module is missing from the tech parts.

Now I don't know if that means anything or not, but It points to the fact that the advanced trim might include the Adaptive Front lights.........

Thoughts?

Hi Pgeorg,
You have access to schematics and parts. Is this something we can access through a link or purchasing the service manual for the 2019 RDX?
I purchased the Service Manual for my 2007 MDX and have saved thousands by doing repairs and maintenance myself. In one case the dealer couldn't figure out a bluetooth problem which frustrated me to no end and I went home, read the service manual and fixed for a third of what the dealer was quoting as a "possible" fix.
Thanks,
Mario
Old 08-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

They do not have paper manuals anymore, unfortunately. You will need to sign up for a yearly subscription, at the Honda Service manual website.

This is the website https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

The parts are just from any online Honda-Acura parts store.

HTH
Old 08-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Same thing my wife said - although her word choice was somewhat different than yours.

I too have noticed that my wife is not always happy with some of my own scientific experiments.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:55 PM
Drifting

Wander,

I really appreciate all the info you have provided, and all your knowledge on this subject! Thank you!

If you look at the installation instructions of the illuminated side sills, you will notice that the cover under the glove box comes off pretty easy. I will try to take it off myself, when I get a chance in the next couple of days.

Take a look at the installation instructions and let me know what you think.

2019 Acura RDX Illuminated Door Sill Trims
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII07802-01.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...II07802-01.PDF
This helped, thanks. It gave me the courage to tug a bit harder, and in the correct direction.

There is, in fact, a black plastic module up there, and the colors of the wires protruding from the connector are an exact match for what is illustrated in the technical document. Go figure. Some of these wire colors also appear at a connector to the headlight. I could also see the much larger module for the multi-view camera.

So it appears the USA spec Advance does, in fact, have adaptive lighting!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
billyt1963 (08-12-2018), pgeorg (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting find - good work.

I just sent this email to Acura - when I get a response I'll post it here.
In a recent article published by the IIHS it made mention of the 'curve-adaptive headlights that come with the Advance trim'.(2019 Acura RDX earns Top Safety Pick+)

The Advance trim is U.S. availability only. The only mention I can find for this feature is that it's available only on the Platinum Elite trim sold in Canada. Can you verify the accuracy or inaccuracy of the IIHS statement?... and whether or not this feature is in fact available on the U.S. Advance model?
The following 3 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
billyt1963 (08-12-2018), Madd Dog (08-12-2018), pgeorg (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Thank you Wander!
Old 08-12-2018, 06:41 PM
Drifting

I have yet to get a response to my query about AcuraLink sending a destination that is not received in my car.

Not a whimper.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:57 PM
Pro

From The Car Connection's 2019 Acura RDX aces IIHS crash tests article today (8/13/18):

'The headlights standard on the base, Technology, and A-Spec trim levels are LED units, while the versions fitted to the RDX Advance trim level feature curve-adaptive technology that bends their light output when the steering wheel is turned. The IIHS found superior high-beam coverage with the standard headlights compared to the curve-adaptive units."
Old 08-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
From The Car Connection's 2019 Acura RDX aces IIHS crash tests article today (8/13/18):

'The headlights standard on the base, Technology, and A-Spec trim levels are LED units, while the versions fitted to the RDX Advance trim level feature curve-adaptive technology that bends their light output when the steering wheel is turned. The IIHS found superior high-beam coverage with the standard headlights compared to the curve-adaptive units."

I have adaptive lighting on a couple other cars and I can tell when pulling up near my home if the lights turn when I turn. It is very clear on those vehicles but I have never seen a hint of this turn CURVE ADAPTIVE feature on my RDX in any very dark area I am driving. If it is installed it is hard to distinguish. The lights dont adjust when starting the vehicle up like my others do so I am starting think ACURA is using this feature in a totally different manner and claiming it to be something we normally associate with other technology.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
I have adaptive lighting on a couple other cars and I can tell when pulling up near my home if the lights turn when I turn. It is very clear on those vehicles but I have never seen a hint of this turn CURVE ADAPTIVE feature on my RDX in any very dark area I am driving. If it is installed it is hard to distinguish. The lights dont adjust when starting the vehicle up like my others do so I am starting think ACURA is using this feature in a totally different manner and claiming it to be something we normally associate with other technology.
Sounds like along the lines of what you've concluded. The description in the article does not suggest there's any type of physical swiveling or pivoting inside of the headlight assembly. Rather, the light output is "bent" -- how, who knows. That you don't notice any difference when you turn your steering wheel is probably why the curve adaptive headlights on the Advance only got the "Acceptable" rating instead of the "Good"...which sounds like,even so, it's still way better than HIDs.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Pro

Yes the LED light on the 2019 RDX are way better than the HID in previous models. I like them a lot and they provide good lighting overall. Not the best LED lights I have but I still like them a lot. I wonder if the Canadian guy see a difference or have anything that bends?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
Yes the LED light on the 2019 RDX are way better than the HID in previous models....
Much better also than the adaptive HIDs in my '14 SRX.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Drifting

I am a more black and white guy. I am either happy or unhappy.

I fricken loved the adaptive HID lights on my 535, since they were way better than anything I ever owned previously. I always thought they were way cool when they swiveled, and also loved the extra cornering light. So, yeah, I was happy with the bimmers lights.

I am happy with the lights on my tech; they light up everything I want lighted up. What more can you ask for? If they swiveled and I could see that, I would think they were way cool. But lighting everything I need lighting is what I am getting, and I am happy.

I noticed today, in the rain, that if your front wipers are on, and you put it in reverse, that the rear wiper goes on, even if you have the rears off. How cool is that?

Last edited by Madd Dog; 08-13-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
...I noticed today, in the rain...
Rain? What's that?
Old 08-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
They do not have paper manuals anymore, unfortunately. You will need to sign up for a yearly subscription, at the Honda Service manual website.

This is the website https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

The parts are just from any online Honda-Acura parts store.

HTH
All the Acura e parts stores I've gone to only go up to the 2018 model, which website did you go to that had the 2019?
Old 08-14-2018, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

^^
The website that is on the quoted text in your post.....
Old 08-15-2018, 01:32 AM
Drifting

Bernardi has parts listings for 2019 RDX, but no diagrams at this time.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:52 AM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
^^
The website that is on the quoted text in your post.....
That takes me to the Acura repair site, not an online parts store. You need a subscription to get in it says
Old 08-15-2018, 07:10 AM
Drifting

Those of us who have had adaptive HID headlights might be thinking of this in an older way. With the HID, that headlight had to swing around a bit to bend. But, with all of them LEDs, why couldn’t one of them just be aimed so as to illuminate the targeted area, and only turn on when that area of the curve needs illuminating?

It would still be adapting, but it would also remain fixed, and not swivel. This is what I think is operating here.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed today, in the rain, that if your front wipers are on, and you put it in reverse, that the rear wiper goes on, even if you have the rears off. How cool is that?
My 2001 Lexus RX330 did the same thing

I have a Canadian Platinum Elite. So far, I can confirm that the headlights are not adaptive when the high beams are on, or when I'm driving below 30 km/h, though they are not supposed to activate in either situation. I will try and check this weekend to see if there is a change in low beam headlight pattern around corners over 30 km/h.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01

That takes me to the Acura repair site, not an online parts store. You need a subscription to get in it says
I apologize, I misread your question.

Bernardi Acura part: https://acura.bernardiparts.com

Old 08-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lmo0913
My 2001 Lexus RX330 did the same thing

I have a Canadian Platinum Elite. So far, I can confirm that the headlights are not adaptive when the high beams are on, or when I'm driving below 30 km/h, though they are not supposed to activate in either situation. I will try and check this weekend to see if there is a change in low beam headlight pattern around corners over 30 km/h.

I would advise against strapping the wife to the hood of your car and having her wear eclipse glasses. For some reason, it seems some wives object to scientific research.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Those of us who have had adaptive HID headlights might be thinking of this in an older way. With the HID, that headlight had to swing around a bit to bend. But, with all of them LEDs, why couldn’t one of them just be aimed so as to illuminate the targeted area, and only turn on when that area of the curve needs illuminating?

It would still be adapting, but it would also remain fixed, and not swivel. This is what I think is operating here.
Agree.

And I think all elements are fully active for high beams, whether or not the vehicle is turning.

During low beam operation, "recruitment" of the 5th element happens on the side the car is turning toward, subject to the speed limitations cited above ( about 28 - 59 mph, or 45 - 95 km/h ).

Last edited by Wander; 08-15-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:53 PM
Pro

Madd Dog posted this elsewhere but we are still looking for the answer.

birdonamission (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Got this response to the query I sent to A.C.R. regarding the adaptive headlights in the US RDX. No answer but at least they're not ignoring me - yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reaching out to us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your message.

Our team would like to look further into this matter. We will follow-up with you once we have verify whether or not the Adaptive Front Lighting System comes with the 2019 RDX (US model). We appreciate your patience while we look into this matter.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 08-16-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Finally got an answer back from ACR and the verdict is.........adaptive headlights only on Canadian version of the RDX. Message below:

-------------------------------------------------

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

We are reaching back out regarding your Adaptive Front Lighting System Inquiry.

We were able to verify that the U.S 2019 RDX models do not come equipped with Adaptive front headlights systems. This is only on Canada's 2019 RDX Platinum Elite Trim.

Kind regards,

Acura Client Relations
Old 08-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Drifting

Thanks. At least that clears things up.

why does Acura like Canada best?

Quick Reply: Adaptive Front Lights