Acuralink Subscription

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
I don't keep vehicles more than 2-3 years so the subscription is the best option for me as well.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:54 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by mbhalpern
IMHO I think the feature of AcuraLink that is worth the price of admission is that the system will call 911 for you if you are knocked unconscious during an accident. It is an insurance policy of sorts.
Most Honda and Acura models will call for help using a paired phone's Bluetooth connection - no subscription needed. This has been around for several years. My '16 CR-V had it. Honda calls it "HondaLink Assist". When you first pair a phone, it asks if you want the vehicle to call for help following a collision.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:22 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
almost as bad as the power folding mirrors thread.....oh the humanity...
Old 01-04-2019, 11:25 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Wander
Not at all a dumb question, but sadly the answer is almost certainly "NO".

There is a discrete embedded "telematics module" ( AKA "Telematics Control Unit" or TCU ) that is responsible for cellular service. It's a literal black box with no knobs, dials, SIM cards, DIP switches or anything else aside from a couple of connectors.
Thanks. That's unfortunate; I'd have a cheap dataonly sim that would've been perfect for the car's internal hotspot to feed the dashcam.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:50 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Been using the Acuralink to start up my RDX on these cold winter days, no complaints so far. It's nicer than what I had on my Genesis previously, on the Genesis it had all these redundant things you had to do. On my iPhone with face ID enabled I just click the start button in the iOS widget, face ID recognizes me and that's it. Has been pretty reliable, but I've only used it a few days. I can't tell what gets turned on though, does the heat/AC and heated seats get turned on? Will have to experiment with that. One thing I did notice is that the 12v accessory plug doesn't get turned on, my radar detector is hard wired to that fuse and it's off while the engine is on through Acuralink, when I hit the brake/ign switch then the radar detector turns on with the rest of the vehicle.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:18 PM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
I use the app to start my RDX on my train ride home. Start it when about 8 mins away. So far it as worked flawlessly as has the vehicle overall.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (01-04-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
As someone who is contemplating the purchase of an RDX, it is interesting to note that my 18 CR-V Touring has remote start from the factory remote,but apparently the RDX doesn't? Strange decisions Honda makes sometimes.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
As someone who is contemplating the purchase of an RDX, it is interesting to note that my 18 CR-V Touring has remote start from the factory remote,but apparently the RDX doesn't? Strange decisions Honda makes sometimes.
Acura likely assumes that anyone who can afford an RDX over a CR-V can also afford to pay $110/year for the privilege of using the remote start hardware that is already present in the vehicle.

Expect to see more migration to these subscription-based services in the future as manufacturers look for additional revenue streams.

Example: Apple iPhone. Not only do you purchase the hardware itself for up to $1,000 or more, but you also pay $40-70 per month for service. Another $10 if you want to listen to Apple Music. Another $? per month if you want to use iCloud storage. Another $12 per month if you want to watch Netflix. Etc.

Example: Computer software. You used to buy it on CD's from a retail store. Now, you download it for free and rent a license to use it on a perpetual basis. Quit paying and it quits working.
The following 2 users liked this post by zroger73:
JB in AZ (01-05-2019), securityguy (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
In my use of a car, remote start via my phone would be more useful than having to get in range of the remote.
JB in AZ (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
^^^I'm with @Madd Dog . Totally agree...the app works great and can control the vehicle from anywhere in the world. I also find the response time very good once I initiate an application.
JB in AZ (01-05-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear

I'm an owner of a 2019 RDX Advance package (upgrade from a 2016 RDX). In my 2016 I could NEVER link my car to the phone app (android). This time, I downloaded the app and linked right away and have been using it with no problems at all (mainly remote start and unlocking doors). The other day, I was informed via the app that my subscription would end in about a month. I decided I'd sign up for at least a year's worth of subscription. So I clicked on subscriptions and it took me to another page where it wanted me to sign in, I did, then it asked for my VIN--as if I'd never added the car before. I entered my VIN and I got a message that "only 2019 RDX vehicles can be added" or some such bulls***. No way am I going to pat $600-700 for a new fob just to get remote start. I'd prefer the app as I have my phone out almost 100% of the time and my fob securely stowed so I don't lose it. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by alinnellRDX
I'm an owner of a 2019 RDX Advance package (upgrade from a 2016 RDX). In my 2016 I could NEVER link my car to the phone app (android). This time, I downloaded the app and linked right away and have been using it with no problems at all (mainly remote start and unlocking doors). The other day, I was informed via the app that my subscription would end in about a month. I decided I'd sign up for at least a year's worth of subscription. So I clicked on subscriptions and it took me to another page where it wanted me to sign in, I did, then it asked for my VIN--as if I'd never added the car before. I entered my VIN and I got a message that "only 2019 RDX vehicles can be added" or some such bulls***. No way am I going to pat $600-700 for a new fob just to get remote start. I'd prefer the app as I have my phone out almost 100% of the time and my fob securely stowed so I don't lose it. Has anyone else had this problem?
Call Acura Client Relations 800-382-2238 for assistance. It sounds like you have a problem with the registration of your vehicle in some way or another. I successfully added remote support so that the app on the phone would work for another year for $110. I have an iPhone but I would think the renewal of the subscription would be the same on an Android.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:01 AM
3rd Gear

Anyone knows the car status (tire pressure, whether it's locked, range, etc.) is part of some subscription, or comes as free?
To me that's the most valuable part.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperJ203
Anyone knows the car status (tire pressure, whether it's locked, range, etc.) is part of some subscription, or comes as free?
To me that's the most valuable part.
You can view status in the "basic" freebie plan, but sending commands to lock/unlock, etc. requires the "remote" subscription ( $110 / year ).

https://acuralink.acura.com/#/compat...2019&model=RDX
Old 04-10-2019, 12:15 AM
3rd Gear

thanks!
Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wander
You can view status in the "basic" freebie plan, but sending commands to lock/unlock, etc. requires the "remote" subscription ( $110 / year ).

https://acuralink.acura.com/#/compat...2019&model=RDX
I found this comprehensive list of remote subscription features in the press guide.

AcuraLink® remote features:
  • Remote start
  • Door lock/unlock
  • Stolen vehicle tracking
  • Vehicle finder (sounds horn and flashes lights)
  • Security alarm notification
  • Send destination to RDX
  • Virtual dashboard
    • Odometer
    • Fuel level
    • Fuel range
    • Door lock status
    • Hood status
    • Tire pressure
Old 04-10-2019, 10:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gtssenior
I found this comprehensive list of remote subscription features in the press guide.

AcuraLink® remote features:
  • Remote start
  • Door lock/unlock
  • Stolen vehicle tracking
  • Vehicle finder (sounds horn and flashes lights)
  • Security alarm notification
  • Send destination to RDX
  • Virtual dashboard
    • Odometer
    • Fuel level
    • Fuel range
    • Door lock status
    • Hood status
    • Tire pressure
The "virtual dashboard" or "send destination" features don't require the "remote" paid subscription. My "complimentary" remote subscription already lapsed, and I still have those features.

I think all of the "discretionary" features are in the pull-up drawer on the updated app. Maybe because owners got annoyed that they couldn't use features that were clearly displayed on the app. The pull-up drawer doesn't appear if you don't have current subscriptions.

Last edited by Wander; 04-10-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:11 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
Yes it is. Call your parts dept. it is around $600-$700 installed.
anyone else have a quote from their dealership on this? Im negotiating getting this tossed in with my local dealer its almost end of the month so the sales rep are more hungry.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:24 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kboo74656
My Acura Link App has been working for me. I have been able to send directions to my RDX without the car running...
Thanks for sharing this.
I tested this yesterday and it works the same for me. I can use the App to define and send a destination to the RDX when the car is off. Then when I start the car, the Nav prompts me to start the route. Very nice feature. The best thing about this option is it allows me to bypass the onboard RDX interface (which can be a bit clumsy when entering addresses).
Old 05-01-2019, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Key Fob Remote Start not Useful

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
In my use of a car, remote start via my phone would be more useful than having to get in range of the remote.
I have both, Remote Start on my Key Fob and the AcuraLink Subscription. The Key Fob is not that useful because you have to be in range. I almost always use my AcuraLink App.

DavidH
Old 05-03-2019, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JsRDX
The AcuraLink options are very confusing and was very difficult to get signed up for (at least for me). One problem was I already had a Honda login so that interfered with AcuraLink recognizing me. Even worse, the original information on line was for the 2018 cars.
I don't have a need for the consierge package but I wish I didn't have to buy 2 packages to get all the other options.
I had the same issue. If you try to use the same email or phone number from a Honda account the system says already in use. Called and quickly resolved, but you would think Honda/Acura would have better software. What is free and what you have to pay for is confusing. My insurance indicated we get a discount for having an active account.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:38 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I got an update to the app today. In fact, it told me that the update was mandatory before I could use it.

I've been using it as much as I can because I have to make a decision at the end of August. Since I got my new Galaxy S10, the app has worked flawlessly. I'll almost certainly take the remote subscription, not the concierge.

I'm not sure exactly what send destination is but I'll try it sometime. I really don't use the nav in the car that much.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I got an update to the app today. In fact, it told me that the update was mandatory before I could use it.

I've been using it as much as I can because I have to make a decision at the end of August. Since I got my new Galaxy S10, the app has worked flawlessly. I'll almost certainly take the remote subscription, not the concierge.

I'm not sure exactly what send destination is but I'll try it sometime. I really don't use the nav in the car that much.
Send destination will send a map location from your phone to the car nav. It works well, although I have stopped using the car nav since the HUD directions got messed up in the last software update. Using carplay now, so send destination is useless.

I subscribed to the remote start about about a month ago, and it fails probably 30% of the time.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:54 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by DrWoo
Send destination will send a map location from your phone to the car nav. It works well, although I have stopped using the car nav since the HUD directions got messed up in the last software update. Using carplay now, so send destination is useless.

I subscribed to the remote start about about a month ago, and it fails probably 30% of the time.
I sent a destination earlier for an errand I plan to run tomorrow AM. The app said the destination was sent but I'll see when I get in the car. Like I said, rarely use nav systems for turn-by-turn directions. I just don't trust them. Early nav systems have sent me down some of the most gawdawful dirt roads in upstate rural NY.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:47 AM
Drifting

I sent a destination earlier for an errand I plan to run tomorrow AM. The app said the destination was sent but I'll see when I get in the car. Like I said, rarely use nav systems for turn-by-turn directions. I just don't trust them. Early nav systems have sent me down some of the most gawdawful dirt roads in upstate rural NY.
With any GPS system, it's important to check the settings, and in particular the "avoidances" to avoid unpleasant surprises.

And ALWAYS do a reality check from time to time on any route. Sadly, drivers have made fatal errors on "seasonal" mountain passes because of flawed GPS guidance. Don't let the next "short cut" be your last.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:46 PM
Skeptic

The app sent the destination to the vehicle. When I started the car, it gave me the option to dismiss, download it or start navigating. I had one quick stop to make before the original errand so I chose to download the destination. But when I got back in the car, I could not find where to retrieve the download. So, I just sent it again from the app's history. Now I can't figure out how to delete that history. Clearing the app's cache doesn't do it.

But it all works just fine for the most part. Worth keeping the remote subscription, IMO.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:38 PM
Drifting

The app sent the destination to the vehicle. When I started the car, it gave me the option to dismiss, download it or start navigating. I had one quick stop to make before the original errand so I chose to download the destination. But when I got back in the car, I could not find where to retrieve the download. So, I just sent it again from the app's history. Now I can't figure out how to delete that history. Clearing the app's cache doesn't do it.

But it all works just fine for the most part. Worth keeping the remote subscription, IMO.
Select sent destinations from the right pane of the infotainment display ( secondary display), using the secondary "vertical" touchpad ( or whatever Acura calls it... ).

If you have already downloaded the destination, it will be listed under the "Find" menu in the Nav display. "Downloaded Places"

FWIW I allowed my Remote AcuraLink subscription to expire, and I lost the ability to send destinations "through the cloud" via AcuraLink and its somewhat spotty cellular service, but the app allows me to send them to the car via Bluetooth when it has a connection.

This feature may have changed with the recent app update. Dunno.

Last edited by Wander; 06-29-2019 at 09:43 PM.
NooYawkuh (06-30-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:47 AM
Racer

I signed up for the Remote service after my trial expired. My Security 1 year trial expires at the end of this month, and I received an email from Acura yesterday that my subscription would automatically renew and my card would be charged, even though I never signed up for it. So I had to call them today to cancel it. On the call, the agent tells me I will loose, among the security features, the Send Destination feature in the app. I told him that the web site says this is part of the basic service. He checked the web site, saw it under basic, ans talked to a manager for quite a while while I was on hold. Finally said that the Send Destination, from Acuralink's perspective, is part of the Security package, but Acura is providing it free at this time, but reserves the right to remove it.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DrWoo
I signed up for the Remote service after my trial expired. My Security 1 year trial expires at the end of this month, and I received an email from Acura yesterday that my subscription would automatically renew and my card would be charged, even though I never signed up for it. So I had to call them today to cancel it. On the call, the agent tells me I will loose, among the security features, the Send Destination feature in the app. I told him that the web site says this is part of the basic service. He checked the web site, saw it under basic, ans talked to a manager for quite a while while I was on hold. Finally said that the Send Destination, from Acuralink's perspective, is part of the Security package, but Acura is providing it free at this time, but reserves the right to remove it.
I decided to renew both the remote and security options and not renew the concierge one. For many of the reasons mentioned earlier, the remote option has some attractive features. I debated about the security option for awhile and went ahead and renewed it, justifying it as a minor cost compared to the total cost of ownership of the vehicle and benefits not really demonstrated unless an incident where to occur. When looking at my auto insurance line items, I noticed a modest discount for security features. I did make it known to my insurance company that I had the security feature option but the line item was not of sufficient detail to differentiate whether it was given for the Acura model in general or specifically for the Acuralink security option. But it was somewhat less than the annual cost of the security option.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Skeptic

Yeah, the AcuraLink web site says they reserve the right to discontinue the service at any time. I assume that means any or all of the services.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Racer

What really bothered me is that they were going to automatically renew the Security option. They didn’t do that with the Remote option.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:50 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hirsch014
Mine was also showing everything except the gas/oil/mileage info. The fix for me was to open the acuralink app (on the car), menu on the top-right, and somewhere in there was an option for acura to collect vehicle data. Mine was set to blocked. Switching it to Allow immediately let the remaining info show up on the phone app. The phone app really should have a message over the missing info that the data is being blocked by the vehicle rather than just making everyone think the car/acuralink/app is broken. Hope that works!
This was exactly what I needed to do to get the gas/oil/mileage info to populate on my app. Thanks!