Acuralink Subscription

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Acuralink Subscription

I interested on some feedback regarding the Acuralink Subscription Service. Has anybody had much experience with it, Do you think it is worth the cost? I have read a number of posts with people having problems with Remote Start and sending an Address to their vehicle.
I already have the 5 Button Remote on my Elite so Remote Start is not a lot of value for me, but had thought of the "Find my Car" feature and the "Send a Destination" feature might be worthwhile.
Comments?

I am trying to gather some feedback before my "Free Subscription" runs out.

DavidH
Old 10-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
“Find my car”, why? Nav apps on your phone do that.

Nobody seems to be able to send a destination to the car from their phone unless the car is already running, so, to me, that is limited.

If they fix it so you can actually send the destination from home, that is a benefit. For me, it would only be whether the remote start is worth it, and you already have that.
The following users liked this post:
DHood (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:31 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
The Send Destination to nav feature is complimentary, no subscription required.

https://acuralink.acura.com/#/availability/2019/RDX
DHood (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
“Find my car”, why? Nav apps on your phone do that.

Nobody seems to be able to send a destination to the car from their phone unless the car is already running, so, to me, that is limited.

If they fix it so you can actually send the destination from home, that is a benefit. For me, it would only be whether the remote start is worth it, and you already have that.
Madd Dog I should have clarified, it is not the "Find my Car" feature, I meant the "Stolen Car Locator" feature.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrWoo
The Send Destination to nav feature is complimentary, no subscription required.

https://acuralink.acura.com/#/availability/2019/RDX
Didn’t quite realize that. As such, it is worth every penny.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DHood
Madd Dog I should have clarified, it is not the "Find my Car" feature, I meant the "Stolen Car Locator" feature.
oh, OK.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
To get slightly off track. I'm picking up my RDX Tuesday from a dealer that is not local to me, in other words I can not run back to her to get help.

What do they are I need to do the get Acuralink working?
Old 10-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Your VIN needs to be registered. You signup for an account, link your VIN and you are done. Very simple!
Old 10-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
Your VIN needs to be registered. You signup for an account, link your VIN and you are done. Very simple!
Thanks. I registered on the app and signed in so looks like I now just need an RDX.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various options

The AcuraLink options are very confusing and was very difficult to get signed up for (at least for me). One problem was I already had a Honda login so that interfered with AcuraLink recognizing me. Even worse, the original information on line was for the 2018 cars.
I don't have a need for the consierge package but I wish I didn't have to buy 2 packages to get all the other options.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear you found it difficult and confusing...I did not have that same experience. I, too, already have an account for my 2018 Accord Touring. Just create a separate account for your Acura and call it a day.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:46 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DHood
I interested on some feedback regarding the Acuralink Subscription Service. Has anybody had much experience with it, Do you think it is worth the cost? I have read a number of posts with people having problems with Remote Start and sending an Address to their vehicle.
I already have the 5 Button Remote on my Elite so Remote Start is not a lot of value for me, but had thought of the "Find my Car" feature and the "Send a Destination" feature might be worthwhile.
Comments?

I am trying to gather some feedback before my "Free Subscription" runs out.

DavidH
The 6 month Remote and Concierge US trial subscriptions are about ready to run out for me in a few weeks. I have no interest in the Concierge one, but am going to do a pros and cons assessment on the Remote one. The cost for one year is $110. There are a couple of elements of this subscription that look like they have some usable value to me, mainly the remote start, security alarm alert, and stolen vehicle locator. I guess I need to research these a little more. Anyone close enough to the 6 month expiration of the trial period to have taken a look at this? I may check with my auto insurance and see if any of these features result in a discount off my premium, I doubt it, but it is probably worth the phone call.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Drifting

The send to car is free, as that is in Basic. It is worth every penny as nobody seems to get it to work unless they're sitting in the car and it is running.

Now that the weather is cold, I have been making use of the remote start, and I like it. Remote also helped me find my car in a huge parking lot filled with SUVs. So I think I'm going to keep that. Never used the concierge service, so that will be out.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Thoughts

Originally Posted by gtssenior
The 6 month Remote and Concierge US trial subscriptions are about ready to run out for me in a few weeks. I have no interest in the Concierge one, but am going to do a pros and cons assessment on the Remote one. The cost for one year is $110. There are a couple of elements of this subscription that look like they have some usable value to me, mainly the remote start, security alarm alert, and stolen vehicle locator. I guess I need to research these a little more. Anyone close enough to the 6 month expiration of the trial period to have taken a look at this? I may check with my auto insurance and see if any of these features result in a discount off my premium, I doubt it, but it is probably worth the phone call.
So a couple of thoughts since my original post. I have used the Remote Start capability a number of times and is really convienent. Sure the Key FOB has that capability and is good at home, but it does not work when you are in a mall, a store and it sure is nice to open a car door with a warm car, heated steering wheel and defrost on full blast to get rid of frost or snow. Secondly I like the idea of the Stolen Vehicle Locator, I know it is a low probability but when/if it happens, it sure would be nice to have some help if it does. I also like the idea of a Security Alarm Alert, it may just help prevent your car and belongings from getting stolen. I think you have hit the nail on the head with these three items, they have enough value to support the price of the Remote. I do not require nor would I use the Concierge Support.

Just my two cents.

DavidH

Last edited by DHood; 11-15-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-15-2018, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

I bought it
DHood (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
AcuraLink subscription or Netflix subscription...first world problems!

pilozm (06-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2018, 08:16 AM
Cruisin'

I will renew it when the trial ends, love the remote started other features. Not sure how to get the gas range and oil % , etc...readings yet? Have not researched yet.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:21 AM
Burning Brakes

If you aren't getting the fuel range, tire pressure and oil %, create a case with Acura. They have to do something on their end to fix the issue as it should happen automatically and they have been having server issues. I created a case with Acura and in 2 days all was working great.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:15 AM
Cruisin'

Awesome - thanks!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:29 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by JsRDX
The AcuraLink options are very confusing and was very difficult to get signed up for (at least for me). One problem was I already had a Honda login so that interfered with AcuraLink recognizing me. Even worse, the original information on line was for the 2018 cars.
I don't have a need for the consierge package but I wish I didn't have to buy 2 packages to get all the other options.
I'm late posting this, but instead of leaving you to your own devices struggling to set up AcuraLink, your sales guy / service department should've done the sign up procedures FOR you ahead of time.

Mine was already fully set up before I even showed up so that by the time I drove off with my new car I was totally good to go with AcuraLink. And I was coming from a 2017 RDX for which I already had an existing subscription (they ended up sending me a prorated refund because I still had a few months left). AcuraLink service is based on the VIN number.

After reading posts like this, I'm beginning to think I really have an exceptional dealership that thinks about all the little details to take care of their customers.

I have everything right now on a free trial; in April, I will not renew Concierge -- like you, I don't need that superfluous service and pay the exorbitant up-charge for something I might actually use either never or very, very rarely.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Shampoch
I will renew it when the trial ends, love the remote started other features. Not sure how to get the gas range and oil % , etc...readings yet? Have not researched yet.
This might be a very stupid question on my part, but have you tried tapping the blue refresh "circle" icon on the top right next to "Vehicle Status" to contact the car and get it to return tire psi, door lock status, gas range, oil %, and odometer information back to the app?

Here I just blacked out my gas range and odometer info (I don't know why - just felt like it...lol).

Old 11-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

cool - that worked for the tire pressure so I bet if I start the car it will show the gas/oil.... will check that later - thanks!
Old 11-22-2018, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Now if only there were a way to show the tire pressure in PSI instead of kPa without affecting the units in the rest of the Canadian app.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:15 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shampoch
Mine was also showing everything except the gas/oil/mileage info. The fix for me was to open the acuralink app (on the car), menu on the top-right, and somewhere in there was an option for acura to collect vehicle data. Mine was set to blocked. Switching it to Allow immediately let the remaining info show up on the phone app. The phone app really should have a message over the missing info that the data is being blocked by the vehicle rather than just making everyone think the car/acuralink/app is broken. Hope that works!
The following 2 users liked this post by hirsch014:
Cordell Walker (01-07-2020), maria1 (01-04-2019)
Old 12-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
My Acura Link App has been working for me. I have been able to send directions to my RDX without the car running. I plan keeping everything except the concierge service. Everything updates as it’s supposed to. My only complaint is when I bring the app out of suspension on my iPhone XS Max I have to close it and launch it again to get it going. For whatever reason it loses its connection to the server after being suspended.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

@kboo74656 ...that is very normal for an app to lose connectivity even though it is "suspended" and supposedly running in the "background". Most apps require reauthentication and, for me, not a big deal to have to restart the app.

I do agree that keeping the services, minus concierge, is a good investment and that is what I have done as well. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2018, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by kboo74656
My Acura Link App has been working for me. I have been able to send directions to my RDX without the car running. I plan keeping everything except the concierge service. Everything updates as it’s supposed to. My only complaint is when I bring the app out of suspension on my iPhone XS Max I have to close it and launch it again to get it going. For whatever reason it loses its connection to the server after being suspended.
Huh. What makes you so special?

For me, the app is happy to "send" the destination, but it never gets from the server to the car unless the latter is running, or at least turned to "accessory" or "ON".

And I have succeeded in breaking the app's "status" updating, which was working fine before I upgraded to D.1.0.7. Since I don't find "status" terribly useful, I'm not really distraught about it, but it hints at deeper issues.

By "suspended" do you mean running in background but not the active foreground app?
Old 12-25-2018, 02:03 PM
9th Gear

Potentially dumb question - can you change the SIM for the Acuralink/LTE hotspot to use a carrier other than AT&T?
Old 12-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Pro

Nothing special about me but I have had Acura call me twice regarding the app and I sent them a screen recording of what was going on. Having to restart the app after its been running in the background or suspended is just a minor complaint for me. I can live with that. Now the slowness with the remote start function is I unsat but with some forethought it’s easy to get around by starting the car earlier before leaving a store/restaurant. Sending destinations to my car without it running has worked firme since I first signed up. Why for others it doesn’t I can’t answer. All I know is when I do it and start up my car later the directions are there waiting.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:34 PM
Pro

Oh yea MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by kboo74656:
securityguy (12-25-2018), Wander (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by trekkie604
Potentially dumb question - can you change the SIM for the Acuralink/LTE hotspot to use a carrier other than AT&T?
Not at all a dumb question, but sadly the answer is almost certainly "NO".

There is a discrete embedded "telematics module" ( AKA "Telematics Control Unit" or TCU ) that is responsible for cellular service. It's a literal black box with no knobs, dials, SIM cards, DIP switches or anything else aside from a couple of connectors.
spinedoc777 (01-04-2019)
Old 12-25-2018, 05:20 PM
Pro

Sorry about all the misspellings in my previous post, just had surgery on my left hand/wrist. Pain in the butt to hold this phone steady being all bandaged up.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO I think the feature of AcuraLink that is worth the price of admission is that the system will call 911 for you if you are knocked unconscious during an accident. It is an insurance policy of sorts.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mbhalpern
IMHO I think the feature of AcuraLink that is worth the price of admission is that the system will call 911 for you if you are knocked unconscious during an accident. It is an insurance policy of sorts.
It's definitely worth the price of admission, because if you link a smartphone to the system, I believe it will do that for you without any paid subscription. ( Thanks to our resident tail-wagger, I just repeated this process ).

As for the paid subscription, meh.

But if you think the pricing is bad for AcuraLink, check out the plans for new Audis. And it looks like the Audi infotainment systems are pretty crippled without it. Talk about a cash grab.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kboo74656
Sorry about all the misspellings in my previous post, just had surgery on my left hand/wrist. Pain in the butt to hold this phone steady being all bandaged up.
If your butt hurts when you're holding the phone, you may be doing it wrong.

Heal well.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
^^^

One should not read comments like that while sipping a cup of coffee. Now, where's the paper towel......
Old 12-26-2018, 06:51 AM
Pro

LOL, thanks!
Old 12-31-2018, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine won’t make the car do anything

So mine is connected to the car because it can read all the gauges and knows it’s location, but anything beyond that and it fails. It won’t start the car or send a location. I even went through with tech support for an hour to get it connected.

I’m beyond frustrated with it and I believe the auto start should come standard on the key fob rather than having to pay to subscribe to a piece of crap that doesn’t work to auto start your car.

Does anyone one know if a key fob with autostart is purchasable? And, if so, how much it costs? Also, anyone have any idea what I could possibly be missing that is keeping the app from working right? It usually says it can’t find the car when I try to connect, even when it isn’t in a garage or any other type structure.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes it is. Call your parts dept. it is around $600-$700 installed.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:33 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
Yes it is. Call your parts dept. it is around $600-$700 installed.
That's why I'm getting the acuralink sub, it's cheaper over my 3 year lease than getting a remote starter installed. Of course if you are keeping the vehicle longer then the dealer option may be cheaper. Plus my office is up on the 3rd floor and my parking space, while visible from my window, is set back a bit and I think I need the extended range.
securityguy (12-31-2018)

Quick Reply: Acuralink Subscription