AcuraLink not sending nav info to car

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
AcuraLink not sending nav info to car

I have the Acuralink in the car set up to allow notifications. All my subscriptions show as active in the car. I have used the app to get car status, and that works. I have sent three addresses to the car for Nav, the app says 'sending to car' and then 'sent to car', but they never seem to get there. I have tried that directly, and also by making a favorite.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I have to contact Acura link?

Anyone have anything to share?
Old 08-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I have the Acuralink in the car set up to allow notifications. All my subscriptions show as active in the car. I have used the app to get car status, and that works. I have sent three addresses to the car for Nav, the app says 'sending to car' and then 'sent to car', but they never seem to get there. I have tried that directly, and also by making a favorite.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I have to contact Acura link?

Anyone have anything to share?
Out of curiosity I tried this and it didn’t work for me either. Shows the address as sent but I can’t find it in the cars system (nav or AcuraLink).
Old 08-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Were you in the car with the screen up and running when you sent them? They pop up on the nav screen with option to open or dismiss. I’ve noticed if you don’t have at least accessory switch on, it says sent but who knows where they wind up.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I interpreted this to send when the car is off and parked so when you get in it’s ready to go. If the car needs to be on what good is it? I can just do it through the car’s system at that point.
The following users liked this post:
zroger73 (09-21-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Sometimes there is a delay, but it should work eventually. The cell service is spotty in some areas, including mine, but I have managed to get mine to receive destinations. I'm using an iPhone with the latest iOS.

Do you have "Connected Features" enabled in the Nav menu settings? ( Not the settings in the vehicle menus ). Just a thought, I don't know for sure if it matters.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:28 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
The first few times I used it, I had to really look for the messages as they didnt appear in the nav menu. I found them in the upper section of the small right screen.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wander
Sometimes there is a delay, but it should work eventually. The cell service is spotty in some areas, including mine, but I have managed to get mine to receive destinations. I'm using an iPhone with the latest iOS.

Do you have "Connected Features" enabled in the Nav menu settings? ( Not the settings in the vehicle menus ). Just a thought, I don't know for sure if it matters.

yes, I have connected features on. When I update status, that works too. I will try it again, and try to remote start the car as well.

I did this both from my iPad and my cell phone. No luck getting nav directions.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Oftentimes I would have to send the address to my tlx a couple of times before it popped up. Car does not have to be on or running. That would defeat the purpose. Another reason why I want the remote start fob. AcuraLink seems to be spotty.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem, and it turned out that my dealer had not registered the car in my name with AcuraLink. All other functions in the app worked and when I pressed the LINK button in the car, I was able to get addresses send to the car, but it would not work when I used the app.

It took two weeks and two phone calls to AcuraLink and one to the dealer, but it is now finally working. If it's still not working, you can try calling AcuraLink to see if the car is registered in your name. The number I have is 1-855-335-5465 but I'm not sure if this is just from Canada.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
I seem to have to have my car on before sending it. Otherwise I get the same message that it was sent but it never pops up. When the car is running it’s instantaneous

Old 08-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I tried this using the iPhone Acuralink app and put my finger on the "search for places" field and icons popped up for categories of places - I selected coffee and a list of results popped up and I selected one and downloaded to car. On the navigation screen in the car it showed up in "downloaded places" and seems to work OK like a location put directly into the car's navigation entry screen. I will try it another time keying in an address in the search for places field in the Acuralink app. I doubt if keying an address in the iPhone app vs selecting an address off a category list would be different in terms of the downloading, but one never knows.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
I don't know if anyone has noticed this but I was messing with the Acuralink app on my phone. There's a 'support' tab on the bottom and one of the options is 'User Guides' and in there there's a selection for 'Sending Destinations'. In that very brief, and unclear, 4 step procedure it reads to me like the vehicle doesn't have to be turned on for the function to work. I know I've tried it with the ignition off and got nowhere like everyone else.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:10 AM
Racer

Same result for me. No queuing mechanism apparently in the Acuralink server to send when the car wakes up in accessory or full power on mode. So the Sent Destinations on the app just lists what was thrown over the fence so to speak and not what actually landed.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lmo0913
I had the same problem, and it turned out that my dealer had not registered the car in my name with AcuraLink. All other functions in the app worked and when I pressed the LINK button in the car, I was able to get addresses send to the car, but it would not work when I used the app.

It took two weeks and two phone calls to AcuraLink and one to the dealer, but it is now finally working. If it's still not working, you can try calling AcuraLink to see if the car is registered in your name. The number I have is 1-855-335-5465 but I'm not sure if this is just from Canada.
I have a follow-up call into Acura about the ticket I opened.

But I looked on my Acuralink account, and it did have my name, but no other infor of mine. So I filled everything else in, closed the page, waited a few minutes, opened the app, and sent a new address. Same thing. Says it was sent to the car from my phone. Was not there when I got to my car. Resent it from my phone, and it showed up immediately.

The search for an answer continues. The good news is that the remore start does work, and the car cools off nicely before I get in.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 08-16-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
I hope you get that sent address issue resolved. I really could use that feature when wanting to send prior to starting the car.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
I hope you get that sent address issue resolved. I really could use that feature when wanting to send prior to starting the car.
I am following up but have not gotten my callback, as promised. I will share what I find out.
billyt1963 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Works the same for me (or rather, it doesn't work). No transfer when the navigation system is not on. I can send the same destination multiple times but only when the navigation system is on can I download it. I still find it useful because entering an address in the vehicle is a real pain and most of the time it comes back with "address not found". On the other hand I have had great success finding places within the app and then downloading to the vehicle.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cazman
Works the same for me (or rather, it doesn't work). No transfer when the navigation system is not on. I can send the same destination multiple times but only when the navigation system is on can I download it. I still find it useful because entering an address in the vehicle is a real pain and most of the time it comes back with "address not found". On the other hand I have had great success finding places within the app and then downloading to the vehicle.
My guess is that most functions from Acuralink to the vehicle do not require the vehicle to have accessory or full power on. There is a "heartbeat" state from the battery. However the navigation function only wakes up when the vehicle is at least in accessory mode explaining why the download location function does not take place from Acuralink to the vehicle when powered off. Apparently there is no queuing function to download later when the navigation function is loaded in the vehicle.

I agree that this is still useful for the reason you mentioned. You can enter the address into the iPhone app earlier if you wish and do a send after you power up the vehicle.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:08 AM
Drifting

Client relations asked me about signal strength, and in my area it is often only one or two bars. I am going to try to send nav from a place with better signal strength.

Other than that, I guess I will use my phone in the car. I will send it anyway, then resend it from recents.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Client relations asked me about signal strength, and in my area it is often only one or two bars. I am going to try to send nav from a place with better signal strength...

I have 4 or 5 bars on all my devices in my area so that's likely not the reason. AT&T network just to clarify.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I have 4 or 5 bars on all my devices in my area so that's likely not the reason. AT&T network just to clarify.

Didn’t think so.

My app is up-to-date, but I deleted it and downloaded a new app. No dice. Was out and about today, tried it from someplace that was 3 and 4 bars, no dice. Am on Verizon.

But it is easier to re-send an address from the car than to mess around in the car setting it up.

Maybe they will fix this in an update.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Pro

Yeah I have tried everything I can think of. But I do find it way quicker to use the app on the phone to search for something and then send it to the car. I also find the nav is missing a lot of addresses or can’t find them. No trouble finding anything on the app. I’m in sales and travel daily, would be awesome to be able to preset my route and send it to the car the night before. Something that I was lead to belive could be done. Apparently that’s not the case.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:13 PM
Drifting

File tickets. Get them to track this problem. Maybe it will dawn on them that something needs fixing.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:00 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts

Didn’t think so.

My app is up-to-date, but I deleted it and downloaded a new app. No dice. Was out and about today, tried it from someplace that was 3 and 4 bars, no dice. Am on Verizon.

But it is easier to re-send an address from the car than to mess around in the car setting it up.

Maybe they will fix this in an update.
I'm pretty sure the car's cellular device connects to an AT&T LTE network.

This got me thinking about how we can know signal strength. So I squinted to decipher the little icons on the right-side screen.

Left is the familiar WiFi signal strength ( connecting to my home WiFi from my garage ), center is cellular signal strength ( a full five bars ), "+1" I haven't a clue ( anyone? ).

Interestingly, in our 2014 MDX with its nearly deprecated CDMA telematics unit, I get one or zero bars at the same location.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:17 AM
Drifting

The +1 means 1 more notification. If you tap that bar, you will see it. It might be ‘acuralink connected’ or some other such.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:34 PM
Drifting

More experimentation with still no success.

Was out and about today, sent a destination with good signal. Was able to find the car on the app, to honk the horn with the app, but no destination when I started the car.

Got home. Remote started the car. While the car was running, sent a destination. Got in the car, started it up, no destination.

Turned the car off. Opened and shut the door to allow shut down. Sent a destination while in the car but everything off. No destination.

Started the car, allowed it to boot, sent a destination, and, yes quickly, the destination was showing.

I hope Acura is trying to figure this out and solve it.
billyt1963 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Pro

More experimentation with still no success.

Was out and about today, sent a destination with good signal. Was able to find the car on the app, to honk the horn with the app, but no destination when I started the car.

Got home. Remote started the car. While the car was running, sent a destination. Got in the car, started it up, no destination.

Turned the car off. Opened and shut the door to allow shut down. Sent a destination while in the car but everything off. No destination.

Started the car, allowed it to boot, sent a destination, and, yes quickly, the destination was showing.

I hope Acura is trying to figure this out and solve it.
ive mirrored all of that as well with same results. Have you tried removing the car from the app and then adding it back on?
Old 08-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

ive mirrored all of that as well with same results. Have you tried removing the car from the app and then adding it back on?

No, but I did delete the app and reinstall it.

Everything else works, except this.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Pro

No, but I did delete the app and reinstall it.

Everything else works, except this.
i researched and found that this was an issue on other models like the ilx and that people had to call acura using the acuralink button in the car and they fixed it somehow.

Has ANYONE had success sending it over with the car off?
Old 08-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
It doesn't work with the car off at all, I tried numerous times while on vacation for two weeks. I would remote start, and send it and it still would not work. I ended up simply sending all the addresses I would need with a title prefixed from AcruaLink before I would leave for the day from the hotel knowing they wouldn't show in the car. I would then start the car, launch the nav, then send them one after another from the AcuraLink as it was much faster than searching from the nav itself. I've all but given up looking for addresses in the nav. I stumbled across https://plus.codes/ on vacation, and I hope AcuraLink eventually supports them, as it's much easier especially for large locations that you are supposed to us a specific entrance.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

This scenario of steps may get you about 80% of what you are looking for in terms of using the app as a location data entry device with the ability to do it away from the vehicle and have it locked and powered off:

Assume vehicle is locked and powered off now. Key address in app on home screen, then search, send to car then back to home. Put in the next address, then search, send to car then back to home. Repeat as necessary. When done go from home to map icon without putting in another address. On the map you can get a list of sent destinations (these were not really sent to the vehicle but the app thinks they were). When you are ready, go to the vehicle, unlock it, get in, press the power on to get into accessory mode and wait for the screen to initialize, go to home, and then to navigation and wait for the navigation core and maps to load if not already finished. Now back to the app on the phone, from the list of sent destinations, pick one and send to car. This time it really sends it to the car. You will see the screen in the car acknowledge receipt and then you can store in download locations for future use. Go back to the app destination list under map. select,another location and then repeat download for the next location and store in download location with the vehicle touch pad. Just keep repeating. It takes less than a minute per location to download and store after they have been entered earlier. .

This works for me and does allow the data entry to be done into the phone rather than the navigation system in the vehicle.which is more clumsy for me to use for keying information and also at another time when not at vehicle.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
So I attempted this numerous times during my trip to Chicago. It never works with the car off and with the car on, it would fail on the first try with "Route Calculation Failed". On the second or third try, it would finally go through.

Very frustrating, so make sure you do your addresses in advance and save them as favorites so you don't have to retype them.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I've had good results with using the voice recognition to set a destination - both with a specific address and 'point of interest' name.

Press the microphone button on the steering wheel and say "Navigate to 12345 Main Street, Smalltown, OH" or "Navigate to Joe's Mexican Oriental Italian Scandinavian Bistro in Othercity, WI" and they've worked. Didn't even have to be in the navigation app at the time.

BTW, for those who might be prone to take things literally both destinations above are fictitious to the best of my knowledge. :wink:

Last edited by MI-RDX; 08-20-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:29 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
So.. Acura finally is convinced this is a problem as I have been sending routes from Acuralink to my car (which is at the dealership) and every time it comes up with "Route Calculation Failed" on the first attempt. They have taken video and pictures of the problem and they plan on keeping my vehicle until sometime next week to resolve this issue. Hopefully we will get updates to the app and the system sooner than later.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Drifting

It only works for me when the car is booted up. I continue to bother them about it. I hope for a six month trial after they get it working.