Acura CDX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 04:37 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Acura has room for a sedan, but all they really need is just one. TLX doesn't sell huge numbers but it still produces okay-ish numbers. RLX and ILX... lol. NSX is out of reach to the majority of buyers so we'll ignore that vehicle. To echo the sentiments of others, Acura NEEDS a CUV to slot under the RDX sooner than later. Acura still has more cars than CUVs, when most other brands are CUV heavy in their lineups. Acura needs to wake up and smell the skid marks, whether from the tires or underwear, I don't care.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery

Acura didn't even have an SUV for the first 15 years. Well, the SLX but no one needs to remember that...

However, I aggree SUVs are completely awesome, some guys will still need an Acura sedan...

As much of an SUV person as I am, I'm starting to hate them because they're becoming TOO popular now...

I'd love to see a CDX though!!!
The market was VASTLY different when Acura was first starting out. Why would that have any bearing on today? [/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Acura has room for a sedan, but all they really need is just one. TLX doesn't sell huge numbers but it still produces okay-ish numbers. RLX and ILX... lol. NSX is out of reach to the majority of buyers so we'll ignore that vehicle. To echo the sentiments of others, Acura NEEDS a CUV to slot under the RDX sooner than later. Acura still has more cars than CUVs, when most other brands are CUV heavy in their lineups. Acura needs to wake up and smell the skid marks, whether from the tires or underwear, I don't care.
I agree completely with everything you have stated here. They only really need one sedan. Something between a 3 series and 5 series sized car. Make it really really good and it might do ok. The ILX and RLX need to die. And yes absolutely they would do wonders to add the CDX under the RDX and something a little bigger above the MDX. SUV's are where the money is at!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:31 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
The market was VASTLY different when Acura was first starting out. Why would that have any bearing on today?
I just can't accept the idea of only having an MDX, RDX and CDX... It's too GMC... Too truck like.... Too American.... Yuck...

I just want them to reserve atleast one or two sedans for those longtime TL, TSX and RL drivers who refuse to sit up in a truck and want something that feel like an Acura...

I hate trucks... I love SUVs but this sudden explosion of SUV interest has got me running the other way... I hate crowds, lol!

Old 02-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

I just can't accept the idea of only having an MDX, RDX and CDX... It's too GMC... Too truck like.... Too American.... Yuck...

I just want them to reserve atleast one or two sedans for those longtime TL, TSX and RL drivers who refuse to sit up in a truck and want something that feel like an Acura...

I hate trucks... I love SUVs but this sudden explosion of SUV interest has got me running the other way... I hate crowds, lol!
Well Acura used to be only a north American brand so......lol.

I think they should stop trying to make anything to compete in the RLX territory and stick to TLX category and maybe something smaller. But they need more crossovers.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:28 PM
Null and proud of it

Make the TLX the bomb and offer it in several various trim packages like sport, comfort and base, kind of like Camry XSE vs XLE, but done appropriately for an Acura... Would be cool...

I still want to see the CDX over here, however!
Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Well Acura used to be only a north American brand so......lol.

I think they should stop trying to make anything to compete in the RLX territory and stick to TLX category and maybe something smaller. But they need more crossovers.
But a 4-door sedan is now a top-selling Porsche ( Panamera ). WTF? The universe is turning inside out.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
I think Acura wants to keep the ILX around since its only ~$25k and will get younger people in the showroom. Then they can either sell it or try to upsell you to a more expensive model - now or in a few years when they are making more money. The CDX would be a nice easy option to upsell.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:25 PM
Null and proud of it

The ILX is somewhat special to me, in theory... A small, fast I4 car like a 1G TSX or Teggy! I hope it's as nice as it is on paper!
Old 02-07-2019, 01:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Make the TLX the bomb and offer it in several various trim packages like sport, comfort and base, kind of like Camry XSE vs XLE, but done appropriately for an Acura... Would be cool...

I still want to see the CDX over here, however!
That's what needs to happen.

Originally Posted by Wander
But a 4-door sedan is now a top-selling Porsche ( Panamera ). WTF? The universe is turning inside out.
Haha yup, the universe is going inside out I think. I don't know what to think of that. .

The ILX is somewhat special to me, in theory... A small, fast I4 car like a 1G TSX or Teggy! I hope it's as nice as it is on paper!
I've driven MANY ILX's over the years. Everything from the Hybrid to the 2.4 tech with 8DCT. It handles just ok for what it is but it is SLOW!!! Also being FWD meant it just felt like any other FWD car. The 8DCT was very very well sorted (wish that would have been used in more Acuras) but it was very cheap feeling and Acura should be ashamed of that steaming trash pile that was the original ILX with the 5AT. Yuck.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:05 AM
Null and proud of it

I didn't know you had driven an ILX, let alone, a few... Well, it can't be that slow... My Optima isn't half bad, IMO, and the ILX is smaller, lighter and geared much better... Handling is meh... Modding required for complete satisfaction

I'm SO glad I have a 1G RDX! Drove it on some twisties a little while ago, it made me feel alive in ways I've misses for months!
Old 02-07-2019, 02:26 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
The 2013-2015 2.0 ILX is very slow lol
Old 02-07-2019, 02:39 AM
Suzuka Master

I didn't know you had driven an ILX, let alone, a few... Well, it can't be that slow... My Optima isn't half bad, IMO, and the ILX is smaller, lighter and geared much better... Handling is meh... Modding required for complete satisfaction

I'm SO glad I have a 1G RDX! Drove it on some twisties a little while ago, it made me feel alive in ways I've misses for months!
Slow is subjective. It is the slowest thing I've driven in 6 years. The 1G RDX is VERY underrated. It handles incredibly well for what it is and it's no slouch either!

Originally Posted by skarface
The 2013-2015 2.0 ILX is very slow lol
Lmao please don't remind me. It was mind numbing slow. I remember they once gave me one to drive during the winter while I was servicing my MDX and it had summer tires too I'm pretty sure. It was the dead of winter and very slippery. I almost crashed 3 times because I tried merging and gave myself A LOT of room (like over 1 km of room) but it just kept spinning its tires in tbe middle of the intersection. That was scary. I could not wait to get back into my SH-AWD MDX with proper tires!!
Old 10-19-2023, 02:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
I read this article today saying that CDX is on Acura's roadmap as 2025 model. This is coming from a very reputable Canadian car journalist. https://rpmweb.ca/actualites-et-chro...PzGDTo_NdWtdTo

Apologies in advance. The article is in French.

Old 10-19-2023, 03:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Interesting that they would say that it's not going to be based on the US-spec HRV. The global HRV is much smaller, but they do have a BEV variant based on an all-electric platform, so maybe that's why. Shame, though, because the current HRV is based on the Civic platform and is a heck of a lot better than the previous HRV that was based on the Fit platform. That said, hopefully they're not just thinking about making it a gussied up HRV; they did that with the last (and only) gen CDX and that went over about as well as you would think.
Old 10-19-2023, 03:55 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
I'd imagine that a CDX with the Integra drivetrain would print money for Acura whether it's based on the global HR-V or the US HR-V (the global HR-V already has a 1.5T as an option as well). I get Acura has a lot of stuff on the go for such a small company but it has always seemed like a no-brainer to produce something smaller than the RDX (which isn't really small anymore).
Old 10-19-2023, 03:55 PM
AZ Community Team

I can’t say much. Basically, some Acura insider provided him this info. He did mention that it’s coming from a reliable source. I guess we will know in the upcoming months as Acura has TLX MMC, ZDX and RDX in the pipeline. I believe this will be an end of 2024 model as of 2025! I will update if he gives more info.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by supafamous
I'd imagine that a CDX with the Integra drivetrain would print money for Acura whether it's based on the global HR-V or the US HR-V (the global HR-V already has a 1.5T as an option as well). I get Acura has a lot of stuff on the go for such a small company but it has always seemed like a no-brainer to produce something smaller than the RDX (which isn't really small anymore).
Agreed! Regardless of what powertrain they use, the CDX will be a great addition to Acura's lineup! People will buy it like just like Integra! Look the numbers don't lie! Not just successful but MEGA successful!
Old 10-20-2023, 01:00 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
As long as it's not a CVT...
I agree! CVT is the worst
Old 04-09-2024, 01:05 PM
AZ Community Team

First-Ever Acura ADX Will Arrive Early Next Year

April 9, 2024 — TORRANCE, Calif.
  • Acura to add crossover at gateway of its SUV lineup, joining RDX, MDX and ZDX
  • First-ever Acura ADX will build on success of the award-winning Integra
The first-ever Acura ADX, a new premium SUV, will debut in early 2025. Sitting alongside the award-winning Acura Integra, the turbocharged ADX will be positioned as another gateway to the Acura brand for young premium buyers.

“The 2025 Acura ADX will add a fourth SUV to our lineup and a new gateway model ready to build on the incredible success of Integra, helping make Acura a destination brand for a new generation of buyers,” said Emile Korkor, assistant vice president, Acura National Sales. “With the first-ever ADX and all-electric ZDX, the Acura lineup will have SUVs covered from A to Z.”

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...arly-next-year
Old 04-09-2024, 01:49 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Sounds like it will be an Acura version of the HR-V, but with a 1.5T instead of the 2.0L.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by zroger73
Sounds like it will be an Acura version of the HR-V, but with a 1.5T instead of the 2.0L.
Pretty sure...Acura will put some premium material and give it a better handling!
Old 04-09-2024, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Pretty sure...Acura will put some premium material and give it a better handling!
Like they did with the Integra? /s

Not that the Integra is any worse for essentialy being a carbon of the Civic, but I doubt that's going to happen seeing as how the HRV already got a lot of the fixings from the Civic since they're now on the same platform.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:42 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I've always felt Acura was missing out not having a counter-part to the ILX/Integra platforms like they did with TL/TLX/RDX or MDX/RL/RLX. The RDX is too expensive for most young buyers wanting to dip their toe into the (near) luxury market. My son's fiancé has a 2007 Nissan Murano with +120,000 miles that loves making visits to the shop every month with nickel/dime issues. They are leaning towards the CR-V hybrid as their top choice. They want to upgrade to another CUV; but, the RDX +$10,000 higher starting price and lower mpgs take it out of the running. They would probably consider a ADX/CDX based off the HR-V if it also had a hybrid option with awd and +/- $30k price for a tech model (they live in PNW with gas prices usually in the $4.5-$5.5 per gallon range).
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 10:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Based on all the other brands, ADX will be a great addition to Acura regardless of which platform they use. It will be an entry level just like Q3 or X1. Those cars aren’t any special or wow. It gives young people an opportunity to get to premium segement.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Based on all the other brands, ADX will be a great addition to Acura regardless of which platform they use. It will be an entry level just like Q3 or X1. Those cars aren’t any special or wow. It gives young people an opportunity to get to premium segement.
With the competition being so lukewarm this gives Acura a great opportunity to go in and light up the segment. I really hope they decide to go full throttle and give us something with the 2.0T powertrain, being so much smaller than the RDX it will not cannibalize sales too much either.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 05:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Like they did with the Integra? /s

Not that the Integra is any worse for essentialy being a carbon of the Civic, but I doubt that's going to happen seeing as how the HRV already got a lot of the fixings from the Civic since they're now on the same platform.
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. The Civic is far more of a cohesive car than the HR-V despite both being built off the same bones so turning the Civic into an Integra led to decent results. I'm skeptical the ADX will be as cohesive or good if it's just a dressed up HR-V - it's going to need a lot of work to be a decent entry level luxury SUV, there's no way it can play the same sport as a Q3 or X1 with just the 1.5T and the current AWD system but it'd probably be too expensive with a 2.0T/SH-AWD.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:34 PM
Safety Car

I think the important thing to remember is that in this segment of buyers, power and speed isn't particularly high priority. 200hp is more than enough for what most buyers expect. Where the ADX pulls ahead of the competition is likely going to be based on featureset and size. It may technically be a subcompact, but at 179.8" long it's actually longer than a 4th gen CRV. And because it's a Honda, interior packaging is fantastic; it's by far class leading in terms of legroom, and in fact has the same amount of rear legroom as a RAV4. I think those types of numbers are going to speak to prospective buyers much more than 200hp being down 28hp from the top-trim Q3.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
re-badged CRV with all of the Acura “premium” options?
Old 04-11-2024, 06:52 PM
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 223 Posts
I think the important thing to remember is that in this segment of buyers, power and speed isn't particularly high priority. 200hp is more than enough for what most buyers expect. Where the ADX pulls ahead of the competition is likely going to be based on featureset and size. It may technically be a subcompact, but at 179.8" long it's actually longer than a 4th gen CRV. And because it's a Honda, interior packaging is fantastic; it's by far class leading in terms of legroom, and in fact has the same amount of rear legroom as a RAV4. I think those types of numbers are going to speak to prospective buyers much more than 200hp being down 28hp from the top-trim Q3.
Great - however most of us current RDX owners don't want a smaller, less powerful and lighted optioned SUV to consider thats mid $40K. If Toyota, Lexus, Hyundai, Kia and BMW can bring new fresh model to market quickly - so can Acura.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by amcobra
You lost me at the "rebadge" for a premium brand.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Great - however most of us current RDX owners don't want a smaller, less powerful and lighted optioned SUV to consider thats mid $40K. If Toyota, Lexus, Hyundai, Kia and BMW can bring new fresh model to market quickly - so can Acura.
Great - the ADX is not meant to replace the RDX.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:18 AM
Suzuka Master

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. The Civic is far more of a cohesive car than the HR-V despite both being built off the same bones so turning the Civic into an Integra led to decent results. I'm skeptical the ADX will be as cohesive or good if it's just a dressed up HR-V - it's going to need a lot of work to be a decent entry level luxury SUV, there's no way it can play the same sport as a Q3 or X1 with just the 1.5T and the current AWD system but it'd probably be too expensive with a 2.0T/SH-AWD.
Typically buyers in this segment are far less discerning IMO. This is why I think if they just put in even a little bit of effort it should be a sales success.

Unfortunately you are correct here. People shopping in this segment don't really care about having a shit ton of Hp or torque. They want comfort, they want space, they want styling, they want perceived safey, and they want good fuel economy. Anything else is considered a useless add-on.

With that being said they also cannot go too underpowered because people do notice that too. 200hp is adequate. 147hp absolutely is NOT.

Originally Posted by amcobra
Shshshsh...take that talk somewhere else...like the 2G RDX forum.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:49 AM
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 861 Posts
If you folks think the RDX is expensive, you must’ve forgotten the average price of a new car in Jan 2024 was $47k+!

The ADX will fall below this average so are entry level lux buyers blind to this? Yes, the Integra is a similar price point and does well but my point: is Acura diluting the brand just to sell more cars?

Last edited by ELIN; 04-12-2024 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ELIN
If you folks think the RDX is expensive, you must’ve forgotten the average price of a new car in Jan 2024 was $47k+!

The ADX will fall below this average so are entry level lux buyers blind to this? Yes, the Integra is a similar price point and does well but my point: is Acura diluting the brand just to sell more cars?
Yep, that $47k average price in inflation times is going to hard sell, as most consumers are tapped out. Plus, you can pick up a 1 year old slightly used for a screaming deal as dealer lots get full of new and used vehicles to sell.

Acura was alway the luxury and performance division of Honda. With the retreat from going full EV by the consumers, other brands have pivoted quickly with fresh models - lots with Hybrid tech (for performance and a bump in mpg).
Old 04-12-2024, 09:19 AM
AZ Community Team

ADX will be very simple to explain: it will be just like Integra. What do I mean by that? More options, features, and bigger than the competitors with $5-$7K cheaper price tag. It won't be the most powerful car out there but people will buy it for practicality, reliability, resale value and some fun driving and cool standard features. Acura should have done this years ago! The left a lot of money on the table

I hope they give us a TYPE S with 270HP and that will do some magic for this segment of buyers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
mrgold35 (04-12-2024), RDX10 (04-13-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:49 AM
Drifting

ADX will be very simple to explain: it will be just like Integra. What do I mean by that? More options, features, and bigger than the competitors with $5-$7K cheaper price tag. It won't be the most powerful car out there but people will buy it for practicality, reliability, resale value and some fun driving and cool standard features. Acura should have done this years ago! The left a lot of money on the table

I hope they give us a TYPE S with 270HP and that will do some magic for this segment of buyers.
Despite the size difference, an ADX Type S would probably cannibalize RDX sales!
You only lose 5 ft3 of cargo space going HRV size!

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...veh2=402022117
Old 04-12-2024, 11:29 AM
Pro

Yeah, I don't doubt this thing will sell really well - probably as well as the RDX and MDX - the opportunity here has been screaming for years for support so just having something in this space will allow Honda to print some cash. I'm more concerned (and lightly at that) around the brand fit (around performance/luxury) and whether the car will be actually satisfying to drive as the HR-V is not as well regarded as the Civic so there's more work to do to make it a good Acura.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:37 AM
Drifting

Yeah, I don't doubt this thing will sell really well - probably as well as the RDX and MDX - the opportunity here has been screaming for years for support so just having something in this space will allow Honda to print some cash. I'm more concerned (and lightly at that) around the brand fit (around performance/luxury) and whether the car will be actually satisfying to drive as the HR-V is not as well regarded as the Civic so there's more work to do to make it a good Acura.
I'm not as concerned. The market for these cars are the same people who think a $70k MDX is equivalent to a $70k X5! There will never be a shortage of folks who believe this!
Old 04-12-2024, 12:30 PM
Safety Car

The previous gen HR-V was a shitbox, but this current gen HR-V has been very well received...except for the anemic engine. But, Acura is going to put the 1.5T into it, so that's not really a concern anymore.

As for the brand fit, it's not like Acura's other offerings really move the needle in terms of performance. The RDX has no Type S model, the TLX Type S falls flat when it comes to "performance", and the MDX Type S isn't really about performance at all. These cars handle well...but that's about it; none of these cars are particularly fast or powerful from a performanace perspective, so I wouldn't say the HRV will work against them more than the rest of the lineup already does. Acura really needs to rethink what it wants to be, because it's certainly not delivering on this aspirational "performance" angle no matter how hard their marketing team tires to make it happen.

Last edited by fiatlux; 04-12-2024 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:18 PM
Pro

The previous gen HR-V was a shitbox, but this current gen HR-V has been very well received...except for the anemic engine. But, Acura is going to put the 1.5T into it, so that's not really a concern anymore.

As for the brand fit, it's not like Acura's other offerings really move the needle in terms of performance. The RDX has no Type S model, the TLX Type S falls flat when it comes to "performance", and the MDX Type S isn't really about performance at all. These cars handle well...but that's about it; none of these cars are particularly fast or powerful from a performanace perspective, so I wouldn't say the HRV will work against them more than the rest of the lineup already does. Acura really needs to rethink what it wants to be, because it's certainly not delivering on this aspirational "performance" angle no matter how hard their marketing team tires to make it happen.
Yep. Agree. Acura is a luxury, performance division of Honda. Entry level product would be the wrong direction - IMO.
Hope they step up with new models soon, as the all 2025 Toyota Land Cruiser and 4Runner (especially the limited and platinum AWD) will be some good competition).

Quick Reply: Acura CDX?