Acura CDX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:42 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Acura CDX?

Looks like we might see an Acura CDX in the US after all. Might make choosing the RDX a bit tougher if you only need 2 rows and cargo space isn't a priority. MPG should be much better if they stick with the 1.5L engine.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/31/...atent-renewal/
Old 01-31-2019, 01:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by skarface
Looks like we might see an Acura CDX in the US after all. Might make choosing the RDX a bit tougher if you only need 2 rows and cargo space isn't a priority. MPG should be much better if they stick with the 1.5L engine.

It might cannibalize like 3% of RDX sales but definitely not more than that. The HR-V/CDX is quite a bit smaller and in the sub-compact class whereas the RDX is almost pushing midsize. With that aside, I think they should have brought the CDX over like 3 years ago and am not sure why they are still waiting.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
It might cannibalize like 3% of RDX sales but definitely not more than that. The HR-V/CDX is quite a bit smaller and in the sub-compact class whereas the RDX is almost pushing midsize. With that aside, I think they should have brought the CDX over like 3 years ago and am not sure why they are still waiting.
I get not bringing it over before the RDX redesign since it has a lot of 2019 RDX redesign elements but at this point why not. It would have made the RDX look especially cheap back in 2016. Sometimes it seems like Acura is trying to fail lol
Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
As long as it's not a CVT...
Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 AM
Racer

Looks like they are delaying it because they think small SUVs appeal to older buyers and they want to go for younger buyers? That seems odd to me. If the CDX was only a couple grand more than the ILX, it seems like it would be a no brainer.

https://www.wardsauto.com/industry/a...s-still-matter
Old 01-31-2019, 02:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
As long as it's not a CVT...
They use a 8 speed dual clutch transmission in China
Old 01-31-2019, 02:26 AM
Suzuka Master

I get not bringing it over before the RDX redesign since it has a lot of 2019 RDX redesign elements but at this point why not. It would have made the RDX look especially cheap back in 2016. Sometimes it seems like Acura is trying to fail lol
I can see your logic but at the same time the CDX is in a hotly contested segment and it wouldn't have hurt Acura to debut a whole new setup on a whole new model that is in a popular class. They gave the Q3, XC40, X1/2,UX...etc a chance to establish dominance. Would have been smarter to come in hot from the start. Look at Ford, they brought over the Ecosport as a new model even though it's literally like 6 years old just so they have something in that segment. I absolutely agree with you, Acura's biggest enemy is Acura. They seem to move at a snail's pace.

Sidenote: I'm always giving Acura a pass on the RDX on the basis that the infotainment is brand new...but now that you mention it, didn't this stuff already debut on the CDX 2-3 years ago?! Yet they're still having issues?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
As some of you have mentioned, Acura is slow and just doesn’t move fast. CDX is the perfect compact suv right now for people that need less cargo space and gas consumption.

That said, Infiniti failed miserably with QX30. Does anyone know why? Apparently Infiniti will discontinue the QX30. So we never know... may be Acura is right and looking for the right time and opportunity.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:45 AM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
RDX is not pushing, it is midsize. It's over 185 inches long. No longer a compact.

The following users liked this post:
23LunarSilverASpec (04-09-2024)
Old 01-31-2019, 08:52 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts

Just a note... the date on that autoblog article is Jan 2018. A year ago.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
As some of you have mentioned, Acura is slow and just doesn’t move fast. CDX is the perfect compact suv right now for people that need less cargo space and gas consumption.

That said, Infiniti failed miserably with QX30. Does anyone know why? Apparently Infiniti will discontinue the QX30. So we never know... may be Acura is right and looking for the right time and opportunity.
The QX30 is pretty much a rebadged Mercedes GLA which isn't a very good car. Maybe Acura is right and only old people want these subcompact SUVs and they'd rather spend more with a BMW X1 or something. Just seems like a logical step up from an ILX to get the CDX and I'm sure there is a bit more profit in there for Acura. Maybe millennials would still choose the ILX?
Old 01-31-2019, 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Just a note... the date on that autoblog article is Jan 2018. A year ago.
Yeah I saw that but kept seeing more news on the CDX. Figured if they went through the trouble of keeping up the Trademark a year ago, maybe we might actually see it soon.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Yeah I saw that but kept seeing more news on the CDX. Figured if they went through the trouble of keeping up the Trademark a year ago, maybe we might actually see it soon.
Certainly would bring more folks into the Acura showrooms! I personally wouldn't want a vehicle much smaller than the RDX. I did look at the Lexus UX, and found the rear seat area to be way too small for my occasional passenger's needs, I can only assume the CDX would also have less rear seat room when compared to the RDX. I haven't been inside the Honda HRV to compare.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
...I personally wouldn't want a vehicle much smaller than the RDX.....
I'm with you on that point. Fact is if the RDX was any smaller at all it would not gotten any consideration. As it is there will be times when I'll have to do some 'creative' packing and cargo loading - fortunately those times will not happen often.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:21 PM
Racer

Looks like at least a nice upgrade over a ILX or a opportunity to get someone that is debating a CRV vs. a RDX.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Looks like they are delaying it because they think small SUVs appeal to older buyers and they want to go for younger buyers? That seems odd to me. If the CDX was only a couple grand more than the ILX, it seems like it would be a no brainer.

https://www.wardsauto.com/industry/a...s-still-matter
I dunno... Seems like I see a lot of those tiny little Buick Encores in the driveways of retirement communities.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:51 PM
Drifting

Hmmm, looks to me from this video, like it could be built on the 5TH Gen (current) CR-V platform, (but Wikipedia says HRV) and the rear seats don't seem to be as compromised as those in the Lexus UX or what I saw looking into a window of an HRV today. Considering the 3G RDX went up to a larger platform from the 2G RDX, it is now bigger than the CR-V. This new CDX might just fit the bill for many.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 01-31-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:28 PM
Racer

Hmmm, looks to me from this video, like it could be built on the 5TH Gen (current) CR-V platform, (but Wikipedia says HRV) and the rear seats don't seem to be as compromised as those in the Lexus UX or what I saw looking into a window of an HRV today. Considering the 3G RDX went up to a larger platform from the 2G RDX, it is now bigger than the CR-V. This new CDX might just fit the bill for many.
I was confused by that too. It has the same wheelbase as a CRV but supposedly based on the HRV.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zroger73
I dunno... Seems like I see a lot of those tiny little Buick Encores in the driveways of retirement communities.
Good point. Maybe they don't want the showroom filled with people pulling out their tip calculators...lol
Old 01-31-2019, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Good point. Maybe they don't want the showroom filled with people pulling out their tip calculators...lol
Penny pinchers will probably go with a CRV. Old folks with bad backs might not want to scrunch into an HRV-size Acura. I might not want to scrunch into an HRV-size Acura. For that kind of effort, there had better be something gained, and I don't think a 1.5T and "basic" suspension is going to do it. I don't think this vehicle would target the enthusiast market.

There are compelling reasons for a smaller CUV in the Chinese market: smaller occupants, narrower roads, and non-existent parking, for instance. In the USA, I think it would be mostly price point.

As for infotainment, that looks like the touchscreen system found in current Hondas. And if it has Nav, it's probably using Garmin's software. I get kinda misty eyed thinking about that these days.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wander
Penny pinchers will probably go with a CRV. Old folks with bad backs might not want to scrunch into an HRV-size Acura. I might not want to scrunch into an HRV-size Acura. For that kind of effort, there had better be something gained, and I don't think a 1.5T and "basic" suspension is going to do it. I don't think this vehicle would target the enthusiast market.

There are compelling reasons for a smaller CUV in the Chinese market: smaller occupants, narrower roads, and non-existent parking, for instance. In the USA, I think it would be mostly price point.

As for infotainment, that looks like the touchscreen system found in current Hondas. And if it has Nav, it's probably using Garmin's software. I get kinda misty eyed thinking about that these days.
Acura knows they need to get the CDX to the States and that it would sell but it seems like they are tripping over themselves trying to get it over here. It's almost like Ikeda is trying to wade through a decade of incompetence to make Acura successful. They were losing sales to people willing to buy an X1, etc. instead of the RDX. I think a CDX would be a good addition because it would presumably have decent MPGs and be able to weather the storm of higher gas prices should they skyrocket in the future. If the 1.5L engine got CRV MPGs, it would be a homerun.

As American tastes pivot to crossovers and SUVs, having just two offerings in the market has hurt Acura on the sales front, according to Ikeda. Acura’s sales have fallen so far this year due to stiff competition from other luxury subcompacts such as Audi’s Q3, BMW’s X1, Mercedes-Benz’s GLA and Infiniti’s QX30 to name a few, not to mention the upcoming Cadillac XT4 and Lexus’s UX expected to debut at next month’s Geneva Motor Show.

https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/ne...icle-1.3792833
Old 02-01-2019, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

...stiff competition from other luxury subcompacts such as Audi’s Q3, BMW’s X1, Mercedes-Benz’s GLA and Infiniti’s QX30 to name a few, not to mention the upcoming Cadillac XT4 and Lexus’s UX expected to debut at next month’s Geneva Motor Show....
Bottom line is it's an absolutely brutal market segment right now (for all manufacturers) and it's not going to soften any time soon.

The last job in the world I'd want right now would be the product development director for the compact/sub-compact 'luxury' SUV/CUV segment at any manufacturer. I can't think of any compensation package that would make that kind of stress worthwhile.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Bottom line is it's an absolutely brutal market segment right now (for all manufacturers) and it's not going to soften any time soon.

The last job in the world I'd want right now would be the product development director for the compact/sub-compact 'luxury' SUV/CUV segment at any manufacturer. I can't think of any compensation package that would make that kind of stress worthwhile.
What stress? The marketplace is literally at the point where if you build a crossover, people will buy it. The Buick encore is basically a trax but it sells decently well. It's the people in charge of sedans that are feeling the stress.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:59 AM
Racer

What stress? The marketplace is literally at the point where if you build a crossover, people will buy it. The Buick encore is basically a trax but it sells decently well. It's the people in charge of sedans that are feeling the stress.
Yeah it's almost like Acura tries to fail. If they sold any other crossover right now it would sell. They've had this cheap crossover that gets good gas mileage ready in China since 2016 and they can't get it together enough to just offer it in the US. Just drop it on the showroom floor and people would have been buying 4-5k a month easily. It's not even like they need to develop a small crossover to compete in that segment, its literally sitting in China right now haha. Maybe Acura will wait for gas prices to rise then offer an extended MDX or V8 or something and wonder what went wrong...lol.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Stress comes mostly from meeting corporate expectations of maximizing market share and profit margins. That's one of, if not the primary, reasons the RDX is lacking features available on competing vehicles (or Canadian models). I've seen it first hand when working at one of the US manufacturers - it was described to me as trying to maintain your balance while standing on the cutting edge of a giant straight razor.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah it's almost like Acura tries to fail. If they sold any other crossover right now it would sell. They've had this cheap crossover that gets good gas mileage ready in China since 2016 and they can't get it together enough to just offer it in the US. Just drop it on the showroom floor and people would have been buying 4-5k a month easily. It's not even like they need to develop a small crossover to compete in that segment, its literally sitting in China right now haha. Maybe Acura will wait for gas prices to rise then offer an extended MDX or V8 or something and wonder what went wrong...lol.
Acura corporate is like a giant snail that takes forever to turn around let alone make a move. It really isn't rocket science. Furthermore they always seem to be 2 or 3 steps behind everyone else to the pont that when they finally do something it's already passed.

Speaking if V8, the MDX and RL were supposed to get one but the 2008 recession stopped it

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Stress comes mostly from meeting corporate expectations of maximizing market share and profit margins. That's one of, if not the primary, reasons the RDX is lacking features available on competing vehicles (or Canadian models). I've seen it first hand when working at one of the US manufacturers - it was described to me as trying to maintain your balance while standing on the cutting edge of a giant straight razor.
Oh no I fully understand. I was just trying to joke about how any manufacturer can build a crossover and people will line up to buy it. I understand balancing cost to profits to features....etc. Was just trying to point out that this class is currently the easiest to get by in.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
My wife will only drive a small car. She won't drive my RDX because of its size. So the CDX would be guaranteed at least one sale!!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by romer
My wife will only drive a small car. She won't drive my RDX because of its size. So the CDX would be guaranteed at least one sale!!
There are TONS of people like your wife. A lot of millennials and people living in heavily congested cities like NYC for example prefer those sub-compact vehicles.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
I would have also been interested in the CDX. I didn’t like that the RDX got bigger. That along with the navigation system convinced me not to get the 2019 RDX. May look at the 2019 Audi Q3 when it comes out.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ShouldIBuyNew
I would have also been interested in the CDX. I didn’t like that the RDX got bigger. That along with the navigation system convinced me not to get the 2019 RDX. May look at the 2019 Audi Q3 when it comes out.
An early review I read in one of the car magazines seemed to indicate it is gong to be almost the size of the current Q5.......
Old 02-03-2019, 09:21 PM
Racer

A CDX that starts near $30k and tops out under $40k would be tough to beat. A tech package AWD CDX for ~$35k would be an interesting option.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Looks like at least a nice upgrade over a ILX or a opportunity to get someone that is debating a CRV vs. a RDX.
https://youtu.be/4iAi5_pWBz0
Honestly, the CDX needs a few upgrades such as Apple carplay, the new Acura infotainment and few other minor techs. It's ready and based on this video it looks really good. It will sell well if Acura price it well. $45K CDN top model.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ShouldIBuyNew
That new Q3 is really really nice. I would absolutely consider one whereas I wouldn't have considered the last gen model and that's due in part to the increased length.

An early review I read in one of the car magazines seemed to indicate it is gong to be almost the size of the current Q5.......
From the review I seen, it is now 181" iirc. Still firmly within the compact class and 1G RDX size.

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Honestly, the CDX needs a few upgrades such as Apple carplay, the new Acura infotainment and few other minor techs. It's ready and based on this video it looks really good. It will sell well if Acura price it well. $45K CDN top model.
Had it come out in 2015 it would have been ok because the sub-compact class wasn't really established yet. But yes today it would have to bring its' A-game. Btw I always forget you're also I think 45k would be a little steep. Then again a CRV is like 42k so yeah...
Old 02-04-2019, 12:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another Vote

Originally Posted by romer
My wife is the same. +1 here for the CDX
Old 02-04-2019, 02:16 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What I'd like to see is a new CLX - a coupe.

I'd like to see Acura develop a new coupe. Yes. I know. Nobody wants cars anymore. But I'd love to see Acura develop a coupe with SH-AWD. Maybe closer in size to a 1992-1993 Integra? 2.4L, could be with a turbo - 250-300 hp at least, 6 speed manual and/or dual clutch auto. I think they could sell some units. I know I'd buy one at least -- a 6 speed standard ('for my wife'). Pricing? Maybe $40-50k

Comments, thoughts?
Old 02-04-2019, 02:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLguy2013
I'd like to see Acura develop a new coupe. Yes. I know. Nobody wants cars anymore. But I'd love to see Acura develop a coupe with SH-AWD. Maybe closer in size to a 1992-1993 Integra? 2.4L, could be with a turbo - 250-300 hp at least, 6 speed manual and/or dual clutch auto. I think they could sell some units. I know I'd buy one at least -- a 6 speed standard ('for my wife'). Pricing? Maybe $40-50k

Comments, thoughts?
While I definitely think they would sell some, the money is in SUV's and furthermore the people who actually want cars and want something sporty will go to Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. A lot of people on here talk about Acura making a twin turbo type S TLX and honestly I still don't see that selling either. Acura just doesn't have the brand cache. They would be smart to drop the RLX,TLX and, ILX and expand their SUV lineup. The MDX and RDX are what is keeping the Acura brand afloat.

But hey I've never really liked cars. So it's entirely possible that I'm out of touch with the market. I mean if Genesis can sell cars, so can Acura and Acura definitely has a better brand cache than Genesis (even though Genesis builds nicer cars IMO). But Acura would have to bring their A-Game. No lukewarm 245hp electric power steering thing. It would have to be fast enough at a low enough price.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:50 AM
Null and proud of it

While I definitely think they would sell some, the money is in SUV's and furthermore the people who actually want cars and want something sporty will go to Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. A lot of people on here talk about Acura making a twin turbo type S TLX and honestly I still don't see that selling either. Acura just doesn't have the brand cache. They would be smart to drop the RLX,TLX and, ILX and expand their SUV lineup. The MDX and RDX are what is keeping the Acura brand afloat.

But hey I've never really liked cars. So it's entirely possible that I'm out of touch with the market. I mean if Genesis can sell cars, so can Acura and Acura definitely has a better brand cache than Genesis (even though Genesis builds nicer cars IMO). But Acura would have to bring their A-Game. No lukewarm 245hp electric power steering thing. It would have to be fast enough at a low enough price.

Acura didn't even have an SUV for the first 15 years. Well, the SLX but no one needs to remember that...

However, I aggree SUVs are completely awesome, some guys will still need an Acura sedan...

As much of an SUV person as I am, I'm starting to hate them because they're becoming TOO popular now...

I'd love to see a CDX though!!!
Old 02-04-2019, 03:08 AM
Advanced

CLX coupe?

I agree they'd have to bring their 'A' game - but I think they should ALWAYS do that. Acura has so much potential...

I know, cars are considered sad these days. But, I have a sedan, working on getting an MDX. I already have a special coupe now (obviously not an Acura). I think they could sell some CLX SH-AWD (not just merely FWD units) coupes - if they did them right. I'd drop the ILX now. Keep the RDX, and the MDX, of course the NSX.

I know Acura pays attention to these sites - maybe they'll take the hint? Sadly, I doubt it.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:22 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by TLguy2013
I know Acura pays attention to these sites - maybe they'll take the hint? Sadly, I doubt it.
They listened with the RDX, so anything is possible...
Old 02-04-2019, 03:57 AM
Advanced

If 'Kia' can sell a $50k Stinger, then absolutely Acura can do a v6 turbo sh awd TLX!

Quick Reply: Acura CDX?