Acura at #26 out of 31 in reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 05:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
2. You said you "pushed" an OTA update then turned around and said it had to be "manually" installed....
Originally Posted by Wander
CR said the update had to be manually installed, not Acura's hired gun. Keeping them honest. ( Or fact-checking the #### out of them ).
I'm not sure how others had their updates done but the process for me was one where it was downloaded without any action on my part and I was given the option to 'Install It Now' or 'Install It When the Vehicle is Off'. Sounds like a 'push' to me in every sense of the word.
The following users liked this post:
zroger73 (02-23-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Not sure why we are nitpicking the OTA push or pull by CR. While inaccurate, it doesn't change the fact that their survey results landed Acura RDX coming off it's reliability recommendation and lowest rank ever by CR in the brand's history (please fact check)

I, too, am here because the brand is nostalgic to me and 2019 RDX is an exciting vehicle. You can't fault anyone jumping on it, even with the risk of first year redesign, especially if you are leasing.

Folks have different priorities and lifestyle. Some of us don't have the time to spend in dealerships. I for one is banking on Acura being more reliable, looks like it might take sometime to get there.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:11 AM
Burning Brakes

BTW, .some of the posts were talking about Toyota's process. Here is a good read on the BMW and Toyota cultures when they teamed up to design the Supra.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/how-bmw-and-toyota-overcame-a-culture-clash-to-design-t-1827831415/amp
Old 02-23-2019, 02:30 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Toyota isn't doing well in Consumer Reports too...whereas with JD Power, Toyota is doing great.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:56 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
BTW, .some of the posts were talking about Toyota's process. Here is a good read on the BMW and Toyota cultures when they teamed up to design the Supra.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...1827831415/amp
Interesting article that seems to fit with both company’s strengths and weaknesses in the market.

BMW spends a ton of money on R&D/engineering/setup with less emphasis on sourcing/testing individual parts (compared to Toyota) = a well designed and exciting car with questionable reliability because let’s face it the car is only as reliable as it’s weakest part.

Toyota spends less of R&D/engineering/setup but a butt load on sourcing and testing individual parts and figuring out how to put them all together in the most efficient and best way = reliable car that is much less exciting from a design/engineering perspective. Let’s see if each company uses what they’ve learned in future products.

I think it also shows to some degree that each and every car manufacture doesn’t know what they don’t know. We often think a manufacture produces a crappy car because they don’t care and/or they made an active decision to make an unreliable car. I think the reality is within budgets each is trying to do the best they can but abilities and expertise varies greatly from company to company. FCA simply does not know how to produce a reliable vehicle like Toyota does. They have a system that has developed over the years with their own strengths and weakenesses.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Toyota isn't doing well in Consumer Reports too...
They aren't? Seem pretty dominant to me ...

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/co...merican-model/

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/10...annual-survey/

Old 02-23-2019, 10:09 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
It's been discussed before but Toyota tends to hang on to technology that works and is slow to adapt. They've just started using transmissions with more than 6-7 speeds.
The following users liked this post:
zroger73 (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 10:20 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
It's been discussed before but Toyota tends to hang on to technology that works and is slow to adapt. They've just started using transmissions with more than 6-7 speeds.
That's what Honda used to do, too. Then, seemingly overnight, they flipped a switch and went all in on the latest technology including direct injection, CVT's, electronically-controlled turbochargers, infotainment systems, and semi-autonomous driving features.

The 2018 Civic LX manual was the last "simple" Honda with none of the above features.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

True for the most part, but when they do change they tend to do it well. (Statement does not apply to styling or the Lexus infotainment system.) The Aisin 8-speed, for example, is a solid gearbox. In other words, nothing like the POS ZF9. I'll withhold judgement on the Honda/Acura 10-speed until I can fully vet it myself.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotRodW
...The Aisin 8-speed, for example, is a solid gearbox....
But where they missed the boat in implementing it was the ultra-conservative programming to maximize fuel economy. The '18 Highlander required almost full 'pedal to the metal' to get it to downshift and it still does so reluctantly. Putting it into 'Sport' or 'Sequential' mode helps a tiny bit but still mind numbing boring.

And that folks is one of the reasons I'm driving the RDX now.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
But where they missed the boat in implementing it was the ultra-conservative programming to maximize fuel economy. The '18 Highlander required almost full 'pedal to the metal' to get it to downshift and it still does so reluctantly. Putting it into 'Sport' or 'Sequential' mode helps a tiny bit but still mind numbing boring.

Our 2013 with a 5 speed is no different. You have to floor it to get it moving. It’s a family vehicle and marketed as such. Most buyers are soccer moms who want a quiet, comfortable ride.

Its pretty boring.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:19 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Yea wasn't long ago that the corolla had a 4 speed automatic transmission haha.

Also hybrid owners tend to like their fuel economy and probably can overlook other issues.

Acura needs to weather this. Their older models were panned for their dual screen setup that is outdated and laggy. The new system on the other hand, people need time.to get used to it. It's not like idrive or something where it's been out in the market for a while and people kinda accept the issues.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Our 2013 with a 5 speed is no different. You have to floor it to get it moving. It’s a family vehicle and marketed as such. Most buyers are soccer moms who want a quiet, comfortable ride.

Its pretty boring.
Yep, I had an '11 as well and candidly thought it was more 'driveable' than the '18. At least the '11 was predictable and you could make it do what you wanted. Seemed, to me anyhow, that the '18 would fight you at every turn. Have to say though that the automatic braking function of the collision avoidance system worked like a champ.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:01 PM
Burning Brakes

It does hesitate in the Highlander. In VW's and the Regal TourX, too. Less so in Volvos, and it felt pretty darn snappy in the BMW X1 I sampled briefly. So unlike the ZF9, the shifting behavior is a programming decision, not an issue inherent to the design.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
I'm not sure how others had their updates done but the process for me was one where it was downloaded without any action on my part and I was given the option to 'Install It Now' or 'Install It When the Vehicle is Off'. Sounds like a 'push' to me in every sense of the word.
This was not the case for me. I have no idea why our experiences were different, and that's not my job. These "different experiences" factor into the "reliability" issue. It's almost a matter of definition.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Toyota seems to be slow to update powertrains. My wife’s 2013 Highlander has the 3.5L V6 with a 5 speed auto transmission. That’s some old tech even for 2013. It’s been bulletproof so far though and she enjoys it.

As for the Lexus touchpad. I hated it during test drives but I’ve gotten used to it now. There are a couple quirks but I don’t hate it. Although my wife isn’t a fan but it’s not her daily driver. They did refresh it a couple years ago.
Wanna talk old? The current Sequoia hasn't had a redesign since 2007 and still uses the same engine. Kids born when that car first came out are almost in high school!
Old 02-25-2019, 06:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Toyota knows it's customers . That's why they are the number automaker in the world.

Lexus is where they bring innovations and changes more often. Whether you agree with them or not.

Honda is also a well run auto company.

I can't say the same for Acura. Until recently with launch of "precision crafted performance". It didn't really know what it wants to be. Hopefully it stays on track.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by acuraada
I can't say the same for Acura. Until recently with launch of "precision crafted performance". It didn't really know what it wants to be. Hopefully it stays on track.
If their main value prop is the price and value, then I’m not sure they can do anything to move away from the “poor man’s Lexus” perception. Like my business school professor used to say about market placement: you either go low or go high; the middle is where products go to die.

Unfortunately, Acura seems to be right there in the middle.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
...Like my business school professor used to say about market placement: you either go low or go high; the middle is where products go to die...
That's a nice catch phrase but doesn't hold water in the real world. Pretty much the entire Toyota product line is right in the middle - neither most expensive nor cheapest, not the most luxurious nor basic - yet their market share is far from falling. The death of Toyota is not imminent.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:34 AM
Pro

That's a nice catch phrase but doesn't hold water in the real world. Pretty much the entire Toyota product line is right in the middle - neither most expensive nor cheapest, not the most luxurious nor basic - yet their market share is far from falling. The death of Toyota is not imminent.
Toyota isn’t marketed as luxury though. They have cheap trim options and expensive trim options. LE vs Limited. Similar to Honda.

Acura is trying to be a luxury brand and is priced higher.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

On the contrary, I'd argue Toyota is at the low-end of the market given that they're aim is for mainstream consumers.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
On the contrary, I'd argue Toyota is at the low-end of the market given that they're aim is for mainstream consumers.
And I would argue that low-end of market =
Dodge, Fiat, Mitsubishi....
Old 02-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
And I would argue that low-end of market =
Dodge, Fiat, Mitsubishi....
They compete for the same customers demographics at the same price points. What makes Dodge lower than Honda or Toyota (aside from build quality, reliability, etc etc)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Safety Car

Toyota isn’t marketed as luxury though. They have cheap trim options and expensive trim options. LE vs Limited. Similar to Honda.

Acura is trying to be a luxury brand and is priced higher.
Exactly. The problem is that Acura's past focus on "smart/practical/value luxury" is really an oxymoron. Luxury is supposed to be something over-the-top that you have to pay a premium to get. It's not supposed to be good bang-for-the-buck, but you buy it anyways because it's the best and the cost is immaterial to you. That's the situation many people aspire to be in; I don't think I've heard of anyone aspiring to own an Acura (outside of maybe an NSX). The cars are priced to be premium but they're too practical, too left-brain, and what that translates to is poor brand equity; it can't deliver on true value for the masses like a commodity brand such as Honda can, but it also can't command the same price premium that an aspirational brand like Mercedes or BMW can. Is there a market segment for people who want cars like Acura? Yes, there is. However, it's a volatile segment because these "logical" customers are more likely to head downmarket if it makes financial sense, whereas customers in the segment that brands like Mercedes/Lexus/Audi/BMW live in are less likely to downgrade even if that's the logical choice. There's a shadow cost to giving up their product once you already have it, which is something only aspirational brands at the top of the market can command.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Drifting

They compete for the same customers demographics at the same price points. What makes Dodge lower than Honda or Toyota (aside from build quality, reliability, etc etc)
Build quality, reliability...LOL

I seriously doubt a prospective Toyota buyer would ever consider a Dodge. IMHO
Old 02-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Safety Car

Build quality, reliability...LOL

I seriously doubt a prospective Toyota buyer would ever consider a Dodge. IMHO
Yeah, and I doubt a Dodge buyer would consider a Toyota. Point is that they both compete at the same price point. It doesn't matter that Toyotas are better built; fact is that both are mainstream brands that are at the lower end of the market. It's like arguing whether Folgers or Maxwell House are higher than one another; either way, they're both at the low end of the market. Quality (perceived or real) is immaterial; price is what dictates market placement.

Last edited by fiatlux; 02-25-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Exactly. The problem is that Acura's past focus on "smart/practical/value luxury" is really an oxymoron. Luxury is supposed to be something over-the-top that you have to pay a premium to get. It's not supposed to be good bang-for-the-buck, but you buy it anyways because it's the best and the cost is immaterial to you. That's the situation many people aspire to be in; I don't think I've heard of anyone aspiring to own an Acura (outside of maybe an NSX). The cars are priced to be premium but they're too practical, too left-brain, and what that translates to is poor brand equity; it can't deliver on true value for the masses like a commodity brand such as Honda can, but it also can't command the same price premium that an aspirational brand like Mercedes or BMW can. Is there a market segment for people who want cars like Acura? Yes, there is. However, it's a volatile segment because these "logical" customers are more likely to head downmarket if it makes financial sense, whereas customers in the segment that brands like Mercedes/Lexus/Audi/BMW live in are less likely to downgrade even if that's the logical choice. There's a shadow cost to giving up their product once you already have it, which is something only aspirational brands at the top of the market can command.
100% agree. It sums up well to Acura's problem.

I think Acura simply doesn't know what it wants to be. It has been a value near luxury brand for a very long time. Always comparing itself to the EU counterparts and proud of the fact that you don't have to pay the premium for the "same" car. It doesn't drive passion like BMW's ultimate driving machine. Hell it doesn't even drive a cult like experience like Honda Civic.

​​​​​
How many times have we heard on this forum that people are buying or considering because you get all the features of MB or BMW for a lot less dollar.

Last edited by acuraada; 02-25-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:52 PM
Pro

Based on their current marketing I’d say they are going for sporty near luxury for the RDX.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:18 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Acura's segment should be called Value Sport.

I consider Genesis a premium near luxury brand and they are way ahead of Acura on the vehicle itself (hell, even Kia/Hyundai is pretty much almost there). Dealership experience on Acura and Genesis can be pretty abysmal, except with the valet experience from Genesis. I think I've only found one Acura dealer that feels sort of premium so far. The rest are pretty much better dressed Honda dealers. But nothing is quite as slum as a regular Hyundai/Kia dealership... well except Mazda lol

Last edited by neoshi; 02-25-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by neoshi
Acura's segment should be called Value Sport.

I consider Genesis a premium near luxury brand and they are way ahead of Acura on the vehicle itself (hell, even Kia/Hyundai is pretty much almost there). Dealership experience on Acura and Genesis can be pretty abysmal, except with the valet experience from Genesis. I think I've only found one Acura dealer that feels sort of premium so far. The rest are pretty much better dressed Honda dealers. But nothing is quite as slum as a regular Hyundai/Kia dealership... well except Mazda lol
And where I am, we have a single Hyundai/Genesis/Mazda dealer. Their service dept. is the worst I have ever dealt with in years and years. This is why I will not buy another Hyundai/Genesis/Mazda. I can't imaging buying a "premium" vehicle like a Genesis, and having to work with this low quality dealership.

I don't have any experience with the Acura service dept, but it seems to have good reviews.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:28 PM
Pro

And where I am, we have a single Hyundai/Genesis/Mazda dealer. Their service dept. is the worst I have ever dealt with in years and years. This is why I will not buy another Hyundai/Genesis/Mazda. I can't imaging buying a "premium" vehicle like a Genesis, and having to work with this low quality dealership.

I don't have any experience with the Acura service dept, but it seems to have good reviews.
All three are combined? I have a Acura/Subaru dealer here. It sucks. Always crazy busy. Not a great experience.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Dealership experience matters I get it but they are also very individualized. Remember they are only a reseller, not corporate owned. Our Mazda dealership in NY metro area are very professional. The Acura dealership is meh and Volvo is just a dump.

​​​​​​I don't let that deter me cause we have choices here.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Drifting

All three are combined? I have a Acura/Subaru dealer here. It sucks. Always crazy busy. Not a great experience.
Yep!