3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews/Press

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by B25Nut
Autoweek long-term RDX report: Exceeding Expectations

https://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...g-expectations
That's probably the best and honest description of RDX's infotainment system thus far.

TTI did not turn out to be the revolutionary tech that Acura had hope but rest assured, it will be on every Acura before you know it
Old 05-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
That's probably the best and honest description of RDX's infotainment system thus far.

TTI did not turn out to be the revolutionary tech that Acura had hope but rest assured, it will be on every Acura before you know it
Some could argue it was too revolutionary. Although the technology is a radical departure (by definition, "revolutionary") from the old PC-like mouse / trackpad interface and takes some getting used to, I get the idea behind it and don't mind, even like it.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
For Business Insider, the $48K RDX beats the $64K Cadillac XT5.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cadi...ompared-2019-5
Old 05-20-2019, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Motor Trend update #5

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...date-5-review/

Old 05-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I’ve got a Canyon Bronze tech, and I still like the way it looks, and how easy it is to pick out in a crowded parking lot.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:18 PM
Instructor

MT's sixth long-term update https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...date-6-review/
Old 06-20-2019, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
I didn't know MT did these types of long-term reviews, so I may read some of the other reviews. But tbh, it seems like it's pretty superficial. Everything in it was something I was aware of basically on day one. I haven't really been surprised by anything. The glare off of the center stack isn't something I've ever experienced, but that would be one thing that I probably wouldn't have known right off the bat.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
I'm sure this has already been posted, but I just watched it yesterday and it's one of the best video reviews I've seen:

Old 06-24-2019, 10:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Sofiyan is a decent reviewer. I like his reviews. Definitely he is biased time to time but overall a good guy.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:59 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
What the absolute mouse positioning on the 2020 Acura RDX does to your brain

Can a car interface improve on a computer mouse?

https://www.techradar.com/news/what-...-to-your-brain
The following users liked this post:
B25Nut (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by zroger73
What the absolute mouse positioning on the 2020 Acura RDX does to your brain

Can a car interface improve on a computer mouse?

https://www.techradar.com/news/what-...-to-your-brain
Interesting to hear that there are plans to bring absolute positioning to carplay. I like the absolute positioning, but the real question about these improvements via update is WHEN?

We are supposed to get yearly map updates, and the car has been out for over a year, and no update.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Instructor

From this article. Someone finally gets it!

"As for what this will do to our brains, here’s my view; we will be far less stressed on the road. A jumpy cursor flying around the screen causes distraction and we have to think more about the cursor and the selections we’re making. Absolute positioning is a much smarter way to control the screen interface that’s also more immediate, which helps us relax."
Old 06-25-2019, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
From this article. Someone finally gets it!

"As for what this will do to our brains, here’s my view; we will be far less stressed on the road. A jumpy cursor flying around the screen causes distraction and we have to think more about the cursor and the selections we’re making. Absolute positioning is a much smarter way to control the screen interface that’s also more immediate, which helps us relax."
The concept is great, but the execution leaves some to be desired. I often find myself hunting for the right area on the touch pad in order to click a certain part on the screen -- the map zoom buttons come to mind.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:23 PM
Banned

Yeah, it gets worse the more buttons are on a screen and particularly if the buttons are not just uniformly dividing up the screen. For example, the Home screen is usually pretty easy to use. It's just 6 large buttons that equally divide the screen. That's when the True Touch really works. But then you go to the radio, for example, and suddenly there are small buttons all over the screen and it becomes more clumsy.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

The future of UI is touchscreen a la Tesla, JLR, Volvo, etc. No cursor, no touch pads.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Banned

Realistically, the future should be voice commands. I think Acura made the decision not to do touchscreens because they didn't want you to have to reach over to touch the screen. Some of the screens are located in positions where you really do need to lean forward to reach them because they're also trying to place them in places where they can be seen easily - basically, on top of the dashboard. To try to get around that, Lexus and Acura and other companies that have scroll wheels are trying to put UIs down where peoples' hands rest. The interface is obviously not as good as a direct touchscreen, but you don't have to move at all the access it. In the past, voice commands were sort of clumsy, but at this point they're pretty much down pat. I used the Acura voice command to search for an address and it was far easier than typing it in and it got it right on the first try.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anoop
The concept is great, but the execution leaves some to be desired. I often find myself hunting for the right area on the touch pad in order to click a certain part on the screen -- the map zoom buttons come to mind.
I’ve got that one down. About a half inch or so up and on the right edge gets me to the zoom out, two or three taps and I’m good.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:45 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I’ve got that one down. About a half inch or so up and on the right edge gets me to the zoom out, two or three taps and I’m good.
Agree. It would be nice if that zoom setting would be retained after a restart.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Agree. It would be nice if that zoom setting would be retained after a restart.
Yeah, general retention of prior settings would be good. It keeps the last radio or xm station, why not last zoom level? It even remembers if I left it on nav, but it always reverts to the zoom out level.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:45 AM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...over-showdown/

Q5 v RDX. Good read. I found the observations pretty much map with mine. Still waiting for a comparison that has all the competition included. Re: Noise levels - what a mistake to use the Eagle RS-As as the tires on the A-Spec. A higher quality tire would surely help significantly.
JustMe... (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous

Q5 v RDX. Good read. I found the observations pretty much map with mine. Still waiting for a comparison that has all the competition included. Re: Noise levels - what a mistake to use the Eagle RS-As as the tires on the A-Spec. A higher quality tire would surely help significantly.
I agree, this was spot on with my comparison between the two several months ago.

Why doesn't Acura use dual-pane glass? Even Mazda's CX-5 comes standard with it. It makes a huge difference in masking outside noises.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:57 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
Why doesn't Acura use dual-pane glass? Even Mazda's CX-5 comes standard with it. It makes a huge difference in masking outside noises.
The RDX Advance trim uses "acoustic" ("dual pane") glass on the front side windows in addition to the windshield.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:15 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
I agree, this was spot on with my comparison between the two several months ago.

The 2019 Acura RDX comes standard with Acoustic Glass (your dual pane glass) for the windshield. If you get the Advance Trim they add the Acoustic Glass to the Driver and Passenger side windows.

https://hondanews.com/releases/2019-acura-rdx-press-kit
Old 07-09-2019, 07:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Amazing review:
Old 07-10-2019, 09:41 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
That was already linked 4 posts up from yours.
zroger73 (07-10-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Most recent review on Youtube:

I don't know the reviewer but might as well share for people are interested.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:15 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...arison-review/

Motor Trend with their latest update which compares the A-Spec to the Advance trim. The most embarrassing part is how the A-Spec with its super shitty 15 year old Eagle RS-A tires does the figure 8 SLOWER than the Advance trim with it's 19" touring tires (Continental). It's so disappointing to see Acura put 15+ year old tires on a car like this when Goodyear had better OEM alternatives. Heck, just use the stock Advance tire in 20" form on it.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I can’t believe I missed this whole thread...
Old 10-16-2019, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by supafamous
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...arison-review/

Motor Trend with their latest update which compares the A-Spec to the Advance trim. The most embarrassing part is how the A-Spec with its super shitty 15 year old Eagle RS-A tires does the figure 8 SLOWER than the Advance trim with it's 19" touring tires (Continental). It's so disappointing to see Acura put 15+ year old tires on a car like this when Goodyear had better OEM alternatives. Heck, just use the stock Advance tire in 20" form on it.
I had RSA tires come standard on the 535i I bought in 2007. About the best thing about them was they wore out quickly, and I replaced them with Michelin AS3s. I probably won’t go to that level of tire when I replace these, though. The RSAs and the bigger wheels were a major reason I stayed away from the A-Spec.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I had RSA tires come standard on the 535i I bought in 2007. About the best thing about them was they wore out quickly, and I replaced them with Michelin AS3s. I probably won’t go to that level of tire when I replace these, though. The RSAs and the bigger wheels were a major reason I stayed away from the A-Spec.
I stayed away from the A-spec and Advance because I wanted to slum it. I sometimes regret not getting the Advance because of the acoustic glass. I find the car very noisy on the highway, sometimes hard to follow phone calls. The OEM tires on my Tech aren't highly rated for noise, so that may also have something to do with it.

Anyway, hoping a hybrid drivetrain will show up soon which would provide the impetus to upgrade.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:08 PM
Gearhead

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I love this quote from the latest MT long term update "On the track, testing director Kim Reynolds commented on a "wall of software" getting in the way of his ability to explore the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system's limits."

Yes, that wall of software gets in the way off the line too. I have to say I have grown to appreciate the acoustic glass more than I thought I would especially after driving one with out it. Surprisingly I am starting the hate the look of the wheels on my Advance version less than I originally did. When I first got the car I loathed them and couldn't wait to replace them. Now I am up to merely 'strongly disliking' them.

If I do go with new wheels at some point I definitely won't go with 20's and might even go with 18's. There are some pretty bad roads around me and I've had some issues on other cars rolling on 20's. Also my partner can't drive worth a d@mn and parks even worse and a taller sidewall might reduce the curb rash our cars seem to endure... Not to mention a lighter weight wheel/tire combo will pay dividends in ride quality and acceleration.

All in all there is a lot to like about the car with some misgivings in a few area. I would like to know how they got such a quick time with the Aspec 0-60 time. Maybe they could get answers from Hondacura on the tranny nanny limiting the off the line acceleration.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wavshrdr
I love this quote from the latest MT long term update "On the track, testing director Kim Reynolds commented on a "wall of software" getting in the way of his ability to explore the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system's limits."

Yes, that wall of software gets in the way off the line too. I have to say I have grown to appreciate the acoustic glass more than I thought I would especially after driving one with out it. Surprisingly I am starting the hate the look of the wheels on my Advance version less than I originally did. When I first got the car I loathed them and couldn't wait to replace them. Now I am up to merely 'strongly disliking' them.

If I do go with new wheels at some point I definitely won't go with 20's and might even go with 18's. There are some pretty bad roads around me and I've had some issues on other cars rolling on 20's. Also my partner can't drive worth a d@mn and parks even worse and a taller sidewall might reduce the curb rash our cars seem to endure... Not to mention a lighter weight wheel/tire combo will pay dividends in ride quality and acceleration.

All in all there is a lot to like about the car with some misgivings in a few area. I would like to know how they got such a quick time with the Aspec 0-60 time. Maybe they could get answers from Hondacura on the tranny nanny limiting the off the line acceleration.
The 19’s are hardly what I’d call low profile, so I doubt you will find much difference in comfort going to 18’s. It’s more likely to make the handling feel less sharp.

Do you have the suspension in sport or comfort? Not sure if it’s possible to adjust the throttle response and suspension separately in these cars.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:10 PM
Gearhead

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
For me I am more interested in the lighter weight. Less rolling mass can significantly improve acceleration. Unsprung mass to sprung mass ratio will improve this has a direct impact on ride quality. That extra inch of sidewall will save me a fortune in wheel repairs/replacements from when my partner drives the car.

A few years ago I quantified the difference on one car going from 16's (stock size) to plus 2 (18" wheels). I bought some lightweight 18's.. I put very sticky high performance summer tires on it. Overall diameter was almost exactly the same. I took a run with the car and they added almost .6 seconds to the 0-60 time. I was shocked. I ran a few more runs and got about the same results. I thought maybe something had broken in the car. I swapped back on the stock wheel size and ran 0-60 again. I got my original times back.

Around the racetrack or auto-x course the +2 size was better. In normal street driving I liked the stock size tires better and ride quality was obviously better. So my logic with going to 18's on the RDX is i can save a fair amount of weight. Saving rotating mass is more beneficial than saving weight somewhere else on the vehicle. It pays much bigger dividends especially with respect to acceleration. I can put on better tires than the crappy stock Contis and likely offset some of the crispness I might lose on turn in by going -1. It isn't like the Contis are crisp anyway. Can't say I was blown away when driving the Aspec version either.

So my hope is I'll have an even cushier car when in comfort for suspension and with better tires be better at the limit. Not to mention I should have a lot more tire options in 18" if past experience is any indicator and cheaper as well.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Let us know your experience if/when you make the switch.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:17 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by wavshrdr
For me I am more interested in the lighter weight. Less rolling mass can significantly improve acceleration. Unsprung mass to sprung mass ratio will improve this has a direct impact on ride quality. That extra inch of sidewall will save me a fortune in wheel repairs/replacements from when my partner drives the car.

A few years ago I quantified the difference on one car going from 16's (stock size) to plus 2 (18" wheels). I bought some lightweight 18's.. I put very sticky high performance summer tires on it. Overall diameter was almost exactly the same. I took a run with the car and they added almost .6 seconds to the 0-60 time. I was shocked. I ran a few more runs and got about the same results. I thought maybe something had broken in the car. I swapped back on the stock wheel size and ran 0-60 again. I got my original times back.

Around the racetrack or auto-x course the +2 size was better. In normal street driving I liked the stock size tires better and ride quality was obviously better. So my logic with going to 18's on the RDX is i can save a fair amount of weight. Saving rotating mass is more beneficial than saving weight somewhere else on the vehicle. It pays much bigger dividends especially with respect to acceleration. I can put on better tires than the crappy stock Contis and likely offset some of the crispness I might lose on turn in by going -1. It isn't like the Contis are crisp anyway. Can't say I was blown away when driving the Aspec version either.

So my hope is I'll have an even cushier car when in comfort for suspension and with better tires be better at the limit. Not to mention I should have a lot more tire options in 18" if past experience is any indicator and cheaper as well.
So you're saying my car is faster with the 18" winter tire/wheel package AND it looks better? Sweet.

Actually, about the only difference I notice is the added tire noise from the winter rubber. ( And less drama when winter declares itself, aside from the other cars on the road that try to play pinball with the guardrails ).

As for the stock Advance 19" wheels, after another few months of dealing with the crap infotainment system, you probably won't think about them at all. But if I'm wrong, 18" 2nd-gen RDX wheels fit fine.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:50 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Since I’ll be looking at an Advance in Modern Steel, I’d much prefer the wheels from the Tech package as they are almost a perfect match to the car color. I wonder if a dealer would consider swapping them for me?
Old 10-17-2019, 10:00 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
I'm sure a dealer would sell you some. Swapping would mean they'd have to put a set of those standard wheels on a Tech model. And those wheels look terrible IMO. One of the reasons I opted for the Tech package myself.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
I'm sure a dealer would sell you some. Swapping would mean they'd have to put a set of those standard wheels on a Tech model. And those wheels look terrible IMO. One of the reasons I opted for the Tech package myself.
I don’t think the wheel design should detract someone from getting an Advance over a tech. There’s a lot of other benefits the Advance has that the Tech lacks.

You can always swap the wheels out for a couple hundred more or paint it darker to make it look nicer.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 10-17-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Wheels.ca: These Seven 2019 Vehicles Have Shown Reliability Concerns, Oct 17, 2019

https://www.wheels.ca/top-ten/2019-v...lity-concerns/
Old 10-23-2019, 06:15 AM
AZ Community Team

what else is new? Lol!

Quick Reply: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews/Press