Notices

3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews/Press

 
Old 01-07-2019, 07:00 PM
  #361  
Registered Member
 
B25Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA Central Coast
Age: 69
Posts: 105
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Nicole Wakelin of Boston.com is one of the few reviewers that understands the True Touchpad. After giving a glowing review of the rest of the RDX, she states:
"Touchpads are a tough proposition in cars with cursors that are hard to manage, but the touchpad in the RDX is different. It’s mapped one-to-one rather than having a floating cursor. If you want to select what’s in the top right of the screen, there’s no need to worry about a cursor. Simply touch the top right of the touchpad. There’s a brief learning curve, but it quickly becomes intuitive and easier than what other automakers offer."

https://www.boston.com/cars/car-revi...-sporty-update
B25Nut is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM
  #362  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roseville, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 248
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by B25Nut View Post
Nicole Wakelin of Boston.com is one of the few reviewers that understands the True Touchpad. After giving a glowing review of the rest of the RDX, she states:
"Touchpads are a tough proposition in cars with cursors that are hard to manage, but the touchpad in the RDX is different. It’s mapped one-to-one rather than having a floating cursor. If you want to select what’s in the top right of the screen, there’s no need to worry about a cursor. Simply touch the top right of the touchpad. There’s a brief learning curve, but it quickly becomes intuitive and easier than what other automakers offer."

https://www.boston.com/cars/car-revi...-sporty-update
I'm cool with the touchpad because I'm not a heavy user of it. Otherwise I don't think it's a cool thing.

Either you have to look at the screen, then at the touchpad, and only then can you get to the right place. Otherwise, you still have to do some hunting (resulting in highlighting of icons you didn't mean to click) to find the right part of the touchpad. The best UI IMO is still a clickable screen ala Volvo, JLR, and Tesla. Of course, as tons of smartphone OSes that preceded the iPhone's iOS, just because it's a touch screen, doesn't mean the UI will be user friendly...
anoop is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:48 PM
  #363  
Registered Member
 
B25Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA Central Coast
Age: 69
Posts: 105
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
AutoWeek semi-long term test. So far they like it.
https://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...st-impressions
B25Nut is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:09 PM
  #364  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roseville, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 248
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by B25Nut View Post
AutoWeek semi-long term test. So far they like it.
https://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...st-impressions
Funny he has an almost identical assessment of the touchpad as I did in the post right above yours.
I’m still getting used to the new “True Touchpad” infotainment system. The touchpad is supposedly matched 1 to 1 with the screen, but I still had to hunt around to get to the button I wanted while keeping my eyes on the road. Also it’s not just a tap -- you have to push with a little effort. We’ll see if it gets easier to use over time.
anoop is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 AM
  #365  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,085
Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts
I would say the first negative and biased review. These two clowns did not like anything about the RDX lol! But anyway, we have to respect their opinion. Definitely, after so many great reviews of RDX, Infiniti had to buy some good reviews hahah!

My favorite part was when the guy says why do we need two sports mode and criticizing the sportiness of the car.

2019 Acura RDX vs Infiniti QX50: What Luxury Crossover Deserves Your Dollars? | New and Used Cars for Sale near Clearfield, Pennsylvania ? TodaysWheels.com | theprogressnews.com
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:08 PM
  #366  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 574
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
it's funny really. I crossed the QX50 off my list right after a test drive. You think I complain about the RDX much? At least I care about it enough to be here, bouncing thoughts and reading others' because I genuinely think this is one of the most exciting model Acura has put out in a long time. I didn't even bother with the Infiniti, there are so much wrong there I don't even know where to begin.

Judging on the sales number, I'm probably not alone.
acuraada is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:27 PM
  #367  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,085
Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada View Post
it's funny really. I crossed the QX50 off my list right after a test drive. You think I complain about the RDX much? At least I care about it enough to be here, bouncing thoughts and reading others' because I genuinely think this is one of the most exciting model Acura has put out in a long time. I didn't even bother with the Infiniti, there are so much wrong there I don't even know where to begin.

Judging on the sales number, I'm probably not alone.
Infiniti got it wrong in a big way:
1. Infotainment
2. CVT
3. Nothing special about the engine
4. Outdated interior - might look luxurious but outdated
5. Handling and driving
6. Last but not least the resale value of Infiniti

If someone tells me Acura needs to work hard to get to GLC level, i won't disagree...but QX50 lol!

Tony Pac is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 03:21 PM
  #368  
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E
 
zroger73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 360
Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac View Post
Infiniti got it wrong in a big way:
1. Infotainment
2. CVT
3. Nothing special about the engine
4. Outdated interior - might look luxurious but outdated
5. Handling and driving
6. Last but not least the resale value of Infiniti

If someone tells me Acura needs to work hard to get to GLC level, i won't disagree...but QX50 lol!
I'll give you 1, 2, and 6.

Concerning 3, this is a very special engine. There's nothing else like it on the road - at least internally! I do think it's a bit overcomplicated relative to the benefits, though.

About 4, it looks hardly different than the interior of the new G35 I bought almost 11 years ago. Not that that's a bad thing - I liked the ambiance then and I still do.

As far as 5 goes, I found the Infiniti to have a quieter, more comfortable ride. It felt like a heavier, more substantial vehicle - less "racey", more "luxurious" - you know, like a "luxury" car should be?
zroger73 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 03:57 PM
  #369  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Arizona
Age: 67
Posts: 490
Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
I'll give you 1, 2, and 6.

Concerning 3, this is a very special engine. There's nothing else like it on the road - at least internally! I do think it's a bit overcomplicated relative to the benefits, though.

About 4, it looks hardly different than the interior of the new G35 I bought almost 11 years ago. Not that that's a bad thing - I liked the ambiance then and I still do.

As far as 5 goes, I found the Infiniti to have a quieter, more comfortable ride. It felt like a heavier, more substantial vehicle - less "racey", more "luxurious" - you know, like a "luxury" car should be?
And this right here, is one thing I think I am looking for. However, after investigating the QX50, via many magazine and video reviews and road test reports, and having spend 30 minutes sitting in one with the sales rep, It is no longer on my list. The CVT isn't an issue for me, but the overly complicated variable compression engine, combined with the CVT is not a good idea, IMHO. Poor resale value, and NO Android Auto or Apple Car Play, AT ALL? Granted, Acura has promised AA, but when????
JB in AZ is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:08 PM
  #370  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 574
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac View Post
Infiniti got it wrong in a big way:
1. Infotainment
2. CVT
3. Nothing special about the engine
4. Outdated interior - might look luxurious but outdated
5. Handling and driving
6. Last but not least the resale value of Infiniti

If someone tells me Acura needs to work hard to get to GLC level, i won't disagree...but QX50 lol!

Tony Pac you know best, started that RDX vs QX50 thread! just looking at various VS threads, CX5 has twice many replies than the QX50. that tells you the amount of interest right there.
acuraada is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:08 PM
  #371  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,085
Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
I'll give you 1, 2, and 6.

Concerning 3, this is a very special engine. There's nothing else like it on the road - at least internally! I do think it's a bit overcomplicated relative to the benefits, though.

About 4, it looks hardly different than the interior of the new G35 I bought almost 11 years ago. Not that that's a bad thing - I liked the ambiance then and I still do.

As far as 5 goes, I found the Infiniti to have a quieter, more comfortable ride. It felt like a heavier, more substantial vehicle - less "racey", more "luxurious" - you know, like a "luxury" car should be?
I respect your opinion and luxury is subjective but engine is definitely not a plus at the moment. Brand new engine, the fuel economy isn’t drastically different . As result why should I take the risk and buy a new engine with CVT transmission.

Tony Pac is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:11 PM
  #372  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,085
Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada View Post
Tony Pac you know best, started that RDX vs QX50 thread! just looking at various VS threads, CX5 has twice many replies than the QX50. that tells you the amount of interest right there.
I still consider Infiniti a luxury brand but yes cx5 is more appealing than QX50.

Again, I won’t compare them as it’s unfair. But overall QX50 failed to impress the buyers and 90%+ reviewers.
Tony Pac is offline  
The following users liked this post:
acuraada (01-14-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 PM
  #373  
Registered Member
 
Marino Moutafis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Age: 48
Posts: 97
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Marino Moutafis is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 01:55 PM
  #374  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,845
Received 624 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Marino Moutafis View Post
Was that a typo? They mentioned that the A-Spec has ventilated seats, I thought that was only in Canada?
RDX10 is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 08:40 PM
  #375  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 40
Posts: 183
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Marino Moutafis View Post
"Multiple editors have complimented the RDX's engine note, which becomes louder as you move from Comfort to Sport and Sport+ modes."

"Engine note"....ha
ross7777 is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 11:49 PM
  #376  
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 9,014
Received 561 Likes on 380 Posts
The RDX gained quite a bit of speed in this update. First time seeing it in the 14's in the 1/4 mile at 95mph. That's more like it.
iforyou is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 01:38 AM
  #377  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 905
Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
The RDX gained quite a bit of speed in this update. First time seeing it in the 14's in the 1/4 mile at 95mph. That's more like it.
Maybe they splurged and filled it with Premium this time?
Wander is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 11:47 PM
  #378  
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 9,014
Received 561 Likes on 380 Posts
Hahah may be! But I do notice the change too in mine!
iforyou is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 08:18 PM
  #379  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 574
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Took the RDX for a test drive today, drove it really hard. The dealer was quiet the entire time except when suggesting directions. The engine "note" was very pronuced especially when it's over high rpm. The pipes sound seems to get louder as you get more aggressive. Something I haven't notice before.

acuraada is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 11:37 PM
  #380  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roseville, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 248
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada View Post
Took the RDX for a test drive today, drove it really hard. The dealer was quiet the entire time except when suggesting directions. The engine "note" was very pronuced especially when it's over high rpm. The pipes sound seems to get louder as you get more aggressive. Something I haven't notice before.
You mean you yell at the car and it yells back at you?
anoop is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 12:08 AM
  #381  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 905
Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
Hahah may be! But I do notice the change too in mine!
You mean it's getting faster as it gets older? I wish I worked that way.
Wander is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 12:29 AM
  #382  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roseville, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 248
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
You mean it's getting faster as it gets older? I wish I worked that way.
I think iforyou meant 3rd gen vs 2nd.
anoop is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 01:08 AM
  #383  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,845
Received 624 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop View Post
I think iforyou meant 3rd gen vs 2nd.
No he's definitely talking about his 3G lol
RDX10 is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 06:13 AM
  #384  
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E
 
zroger73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 360
Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada View Post
Took the RDX for a test drive today, drove it really hard.
That's why I try to buy my new vehicles right off the transport truck before being test driven.

Originally Posted by acuraada View Post
The engine "note" was very pronuced especially when it's over high rpm. The pipes sound seems to get louder as you get more aggressive.
Naturally, the engine, intake, and exhaust get louder with engine speed and power, but you're also hearing the effects of ASC (Active Sound Control) which "enhances" the engine's existing sounds by playing electronically-generated sounds through the speakers.
zroger73 is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 10:49 PM
  #385  
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 9,014
Received 561 Likes on 380 Posts
Lol RDX10 knows me well. Yes I was talking about the 3rd gen RDX and how it seemed to gain power after gaining some mileage.
iforyou is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 10:57 PM
  #386  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roseville, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 248
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
Lol RDX10 knows me well. Yes I was talking about the 3rd gen RDX and how it seemed to gain power after gaining some mileage.
wow. hoocoodanode?
anoop is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 05:46 AM
  #387  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 574
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
That's why I try to buy my new vehicles right off the transport truck before being test driven.



Naturally, the engine, intake, and exhaust get louder with engine speed and power, but you're also hearing the effects of ASC (Active Sound Control) which "enhances" the engine's existing sounds by playing electronically-generated sounds through the speakers.
Well ya the piped in engine sound got significantlt louder near redline. It's fun at first but gets tiring after a while.

Acura really need to give us the choice to turn that off.
acuraada is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 08:51 PM
  #388  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 574
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
A very good and detail review of RDX. He clearly articulates the issue with Truetouch interface and pretty much summarized all the pros and cons that we often talk about here.


https://youtu.be/ra00fdMCnZA
acuraada is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 06:55 AM
  #389  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,845
Received 624 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada View Post
A very good and detail review of RDX. He clearly articulates the issue with Truetouch interface and pretty much summarized all the pros and cons that we often talk about here.


https://youtube/ra00fdMCnZA
Edited your link to see if it will work now.

Edit: Still no luck.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:11 AM
  #390  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 574
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks. I requested mod to delete. Stewie posted the same video in a separate thread already . Same video
acuraada is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:41 AM
  #391  
Registered Member
 
Madd Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,338
Received 335 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada View Post
Thanks. I requested mod to delete. Stewie posted the same video in a separate thread already . Same video

Stewie gets blamed for everything.
Madd Dog is online now  
Old 02-05-2019, 02:49 PM
  #392  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roseville, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 248
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada View Post
A very good and detail review of RDX. He clearly articulates the issue with Truetouch interface and pretty much summarized all the pros and cons that we often talk about here.


https://youtu.be/ra00fdMCnZA
Now the link will work.
anoop is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 12:03 PM
  #393  
Registered Member
 
mapleloaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 1,172
Received 545 Likes on 278 Posts
This might be the most thorough and detailed review of any vehicle I have ever watched.
mapleloaf is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 12:12 PM
  #394  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roseville, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 248
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf View Post
This might be the most thorough and detailed review of any vehicle I have ever watched.
He missed the issue I caught in my review -- which is that you can't see the trip computer or any of the car's status functions (tire pressure, miles to empty, etc.) when on the phone.
anoop is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 08:56 AM
  #395  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 62
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Reasonably fair take on the True Touchpad in Motor Trend's second long-term update. Not entirely positive, but not entirely missing the point like many of the early reviews.

Link
HillbillyInBC is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 06:43 PM
  #396  
Registered Member
 
B25Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA Central Coast
Age: 69
Posts: 105
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Motor Trend long-term update
"Consumers who want an infotainment system they can immediately understand may have difficulty with the RDX, but those who give it a chance may find—as I have—that the trade-offs are worth it when you consider the Acura's overall advantages."
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...date-2-review/
B25Nut is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 PM
  #397  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Age: 100
Posts: 332
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Sounds is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 08:23 PM
  #398  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 55
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
Odd that he complained about not enough engine noise in the cabin. It seems like most people wish they could turn off the fake sound.
GW208 is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 03:42 PM
  #399  
DWG
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ohio
Age: 55
Posts: 123
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
TestDriveNow review on YouTube

A very positive review with some concerns about the touch pad.

DWG is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 07:27 PM
  #400  
Registered Member
 
B25Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA Central Coast
Age: 69
Posts: 105
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
B25Nut is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews/Press


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.