Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow DownShiftMike

Old 07-10-2018, 06:45 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Kbb

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2019-acura-rdx-audio-road-test--els-studio-3d/2100005599/

2019 Acura RDX Audio Road Test: ELS Studio 3D

by Matt Degen | July 9, 2018 12:30 PM

If you’re even vaguely familiar with premium audio systems in cars, you’ve no doubt heard names like Bose, Harman/Kardon, and perhaps Bowers & Wilkins. But what about ELS? So far exclusive to the Acura brand, ELS doesn’t have the name recognition of other brands, but in sound quality it rivals some of the best. This is most pronounced in its newest system in Acura’s newest vehicle, the 2019 Acura RDX.

ELS is made by Panasonic, and it’s been featured in Acura luxury vehicles for over a decade, starting with the 2004 Acura TL sedan. The “ELS” brand is the nickname of the man who is the driving force behind the system: Elliot Scheiner. If you’ve never heard of this music producer and sound engineer extraordinaire, you’ve heard the artists he’s worked with. They range from the Eagles and Foo Fighters to Sting, Steely Dan, Eric Clapton and Beyoncé.

Scheiner is a legend in the music business. He’s been nominated for 26 Grammy Awards and has won eight. 2 of his biggest passions are where Acura’s ELS audio system are concerned: reproducing audio the way it’s heard in a studio, and doing so in 5.1-channel surround sound.

Sonic collaboration

It was these desires that led Scheiner to tie up with Panasonic and Acura over 15 years ago. Scheiner recounted the connection recently at Capitol Records in Hollywood. “I was doing surround work in my studio and asked myself, ‘Where will people hear this?’” Scheiner said. He realized if it were in a car, unlike say a living room, the driver/listener is in a fixed position in relation to the speakers. This was in the early 2000s, and Scheiner happened to be at a DVD industry event in New York. “I went to everyone and said, ‘We could play surround sound in cars.’ I said, ‘I make these records!’”

6 months passed before someone finally bit on the idea. That someone was Tom Dunn, now director of Panasonic’s automotive audio systems. At the time Panasonic and Acura were also looking to up their game in the automotive audio world. The goal was to bring studio sound quality to cars. Dunn said “Acura realized this could be a game changer. So, we worked with a guy who makes music daily.”

Fast-forward a couple of years and the ELS Premium Audio system debuted in the 2004 Acura TL, becoming the 1st automobile to feature a 5.1-channel surround-sound audio system.

“What was amazing was hearing sounds resonate like never before,” recalled Acura’s Jon Ikeda, now vice president and general manager of the division. Though he describes himself as not necessarily starting out as an audio aficionado, after hearing the system he thought, “Wow. This is what audio should be. Elliot was passionate about sharing what he heard. He wanted others to hear what he hears in the studio. A car is the perfect place to do that. It’s a controlled environment, unlike a living room.”

The latest and greatest from ELS

In the decade and a half since, the team has worked relentlessly to create advancements in the systems’ sonics, offering ELS premium audio across Acura’s lineup. Now comes ELS Studio 3D, debuting in the 2019 Acura RDX. The system comes standard in the 2 higher trims, A-Spec and Advance, starting at $44,495 and $46,395, respectively. (A lower-spec ELS system comes in the Technology trim.)

By the numbers, the ELS Studio 3D boasts 16 speakers and 710 watts of power. That’s impressive but by no means the most in a car. But numbers only tell part of the story. The ELS system is a lesson in working smarter, not harder. It’s not only a matter of the number of speakers, but where they are placed and how they have been tuned by Scheiner.

In addition to having speakers surrounding the cabin, 4 of them are placed in the ceiling. This provides a sound field that literally saturates passengers in sound. And wow does it sound good. It is 1 of the best automotive audio systems I’ve heard, ranking with Burmester, Bowers & Wilkins, and Bang & Olufsen. These are audio systems that can cost several thousand dollars alone in brands like Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Aston Martin.

While the ELS system absolutely excels at music mixed in 5.1-channel surround – such as custom demo tracks put together by Scheiner and the Panasonic team – the truth is such music is hard to find, and because unlike past Acura models with DVD-Audio players, you can’t just pop in a disc with the stuff (as with other new cars, there isn’t even a CD player in the RDX).

Still, the system does a remarkable job with standard stereo-mixed music. This surround system is able to take that music and envelop you in clean, crisp sound. As with other systems, higher-quality in equals higher-quality out. That means songs I had ripped in the FLAC format and stored on a USB drive were literally music to my ears, but even lower-res files streamed via Bluetooth from my iPhone or transmitted via Apple CarPlay sounded excellent. Acura is known for bringing premium, quality-built vehicles at a price that’s a value compared to European competitors. With the new ELS Studio 3D system, the same can now be said for its audio system.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
MI-RDX (07-10-2018), Stew4HD (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
.......and now for the artificial engine sound.......
Old 07-10-2018, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisBesu
I have no idea why they felt the need to pipe that shit into the cabin as a default. I haven't found a way to turn it off either..
The following users liked this post:
Pearl77 (08-07-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisBesu
Has has anyone discovered if there is a way to disable it yet? I don’t think I’ve heard one person give the fake noise a thumbs up. Pretty hokey... kinda defeats the purpose of putting the extra sound proofing windows in the Advance model. There’s gotta be a way to disable it.

(Acura...are you listening to your customer base?)
The following 3 users liked this post by TxLady:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (07-10-2018), Pearl77 (08-07-2018), Stew4HD (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
It sounded pretty crappy to me too.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
In past models of Acura people have found ways to disable it.

I actually asked my dealer about this and he said he is pretty sure the service department can do it, but didnt say how,
TxLady (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:27 AM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by WPJoe
In past models of Acura people have found ways to disable it.

I actually asked my dealer about this and he said he is pretty sure the service department can do it, but didnt say how,
Well, that sounds promising.

Maybe we should make it a condition for the sell when we get ours
Old 07-10-2018, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
ELS 3D is truly understated. Most reviewers gloss over it, only pointing out ceiling speakers but make little or no comparison to Bose, B&O and HK...

This is the case where brand perception or namesake seems to just take over their opinion. Very much like folks assume BMW drives better because it’s the ultimate driving machine.

nobody associates Panasonic with high end fidelity that’s why the name ELS is used. From my experience, this system blows HK on the GLC and rivals even the $3000 option B&O on the xc60

as for the piped engine sound, until they give us the option to turn it off, drive in comfort model and sound is muted.

The following 3 users liked this post by acuraada:
birdonamission (07-10-2018), Colorado Guy AF Ret. (07-10-2018), Stew4HD (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
ELS 3D is truly understated. Most reviewers gloss over it, only pointing out ceiling speakers but make little or no comparison to Bose, B&O and HK...

This is the case where brand perception or namesake seems to just take over their opinion. Very much like folks assume BMW drives better because it’s the ultimate driving machine.

nobody associates Panasonic with high end fidelity that’s why the name ELS is used. From my experience, this system blows HK on the GLC and rivals even the $3000 option B&O on the xc60

as for the piped engine sound, until they give us the option to turn it off, drive in comfort model and sound is muted.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the...3d/2100005599/
Old 07-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acuraada

Maybe a lot of people don’t care that much? In the simplified range of terrible, to good, to great, many people only look for not terrible. I tested the Tech, which has the lesser ELS. I put it on, listened, said to myself, this sounds really good, and turned it off to focus on other things. I think that is the nature of road testing cars.

If you are the kind of person who would take the trouble to convert files to lossless so you can hear nuances, then you would notice the difference between the three kinds of sound in the RDX. If you run Pandora and only half listen to it, no. You can get a decent picture from your iPhone. Am I taking a real camera with me on my trip to Italy this summer? Yeah. Am I taking my Canon DSLR with long lenses? No. I’ll be taking a compact G16. If it was my wife on a solo trip, it would be her iPhone; my brother would take his full frame Canon and three or so lenses.

Same with music.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 07-10-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Cars.com

https://www.cars.com/articles/rdx-tasy-why-the-2019-acura-rdxs-sound-system-is-so-addictive-1420700666566/

RDX-tasy: Why the 2019 Acura RDX's Sound System Is So Addictive

By Brian Wong

July 13, 2018
Cars.com graphic by Paul Dolan
When I cover a vehicle for Cars.com, the sound system has typically been low on my list of my priorities. Thinking back on the reviews I've written, I don't know that I've mentioned a sound system beyond how many speakers it has or which options package it's a part of.

That's partly ignorance (I'm not an audiophile) and partly because I think that above a certain baseline, stereos all sound pretty much alike to me. Obviously, there's a difference in quality between a system found in a high-end luxury vehicle and one found in, say, a Nissan Versa, but at a certain point they all just sound "good" to me.

Related: 2019 Acura RDX 1st Drive: Finally, Not a Warmed-Over Honda However, exposure to the proverbial finer things has changed all that. Similar to how I used to like my wine out of a box until I learned there was a better way, the ELS Studio audio system found in the new 2019 Acura RDX is a car stereo of a finer vintage.

The ELS Studio 3D Premium Audio system (its full name) is found on RDX models with the A-Spec or Advance packages equipped. The A-Spec starts at $44,495, while the Advance starts at $46,395, both prices including a $995 destination charge. A 12-speaker ELS Studio system is found on Technology models, but that's not the one you want — you want the full ELS 3D Studio system with 16 speakers because it adds four high-range speakers into the ceiling, and those are what sets that system apart from others.

The Sounds of Science

2019 Acura RDX Advance
Cars.com photo by Brian Wong
The name ELS comes from Elliot Scheiner, a music producer who Acura has consulted with on its audio systems since the early 2000s in conjunction with Panasonic. According to Acura, much of the 2019 RDX's development was done with this very sound system in mind. This is evidenced by the ceiling speakers, which somehow find a way to fit despite a panoramic moonroof up there. Even the C-pillar, which houses one of the 16 speakers on either side of the RDX, was shaped to funnel sound to the passengers.

Sound engineers told me that those ceiling speakers are especially important because they're able to send sound directly to the passengers — no head restraints, seats or other trim pieces get in the way. From those speakers, the sound goes directly to your ears, and for that reason, they have a high dynamic range (a fancy way of saying that they can handle both high and low notes).
2019 Acura RDX Advance
Manufacturer image

The system also uses a technology called Acoustic Motion Control, which helps the system to sound clearer at high volumes. Often in sound systems, with the volume up, the sound can be muddled — especially bass notes — because a speaker behaves, in some ways, like a spring. After the sound stops, it can continue to vibrate, which causes what you're hearing to become distorted. In the ELS Studio system, it can detect when a speaker is still moving when it shouldn't be, and a countersignal is sent to the speaker to stop that motion.

I don't pretend to understand the science behind this, but it certainly makes the ELS system sound very clear even with the volume cranked up pretty high. This technology is utilized on 14 of the system's 16 speakers (minus the tweeters, which produce only high-frequency sounds).

A Setting for Every Source

2019 Acura RDX Advance
Manufacturer image
I also had a chance to hear the system's 5.1 surround-sound capability. Some audio tracks were remastered into surround sound, and it was fun to listen to Missy Elliott's "
,"
with her voice ringing in a circle around the RDX. Such surround-sound audio files aren't available to the general public, so this unfortunately isn't something that consumers can replicate. But the system does come with DTS Neural Surround, which can simulate surround sound from stereo tracks by highlighting layers in songs that you may not have known existed.

This also raised the question of sourcing and sound quality. Different sources offer a different quality of sound; for example, the quality is different with satellite radio, HD radio and audio coming from your phone via Bluetooth or a USB port. Fun fact: A good old-fashioned CD (I can't believe I said that) is often the best source for the highest sound quality. To fight this, the ELS system has 13 different equalizer profiles that the system can choose among for different sources even if the source has a lower-quality bitrate (a way of measuring the quality of the audio). For example, satellite radio has a lower sound quality, but the software for the system chooses a profile to use that Acura says enhances the signal to make it sound fuller and more spacious.

Your Own Zone

2019 Acura RDX Advance
Cars.com photo by Brian Wong
There was 1 final feature of the system that families especially will appreciate: It comes with four audio zones. This functions like an improved version of the faders and balancers found in most sound systems. The system uses the roof-mounted speakers to really isolate sound in one of the four zones (full vehicle, driver-only, front-only or rear only). While I was seated in the backseat, the audio was shifted to front-only and, while I could hear it vaguely, the sound didn't really bleed back at all. So if the kids don't want to listen to a podcast or talk radio, they can enjoy relative peace and quiet in the back while you catch up on current events.

While our impressions of the RDX's new multimedia system are
mixed, the sound system's prowess should not be controversial. This is a wonderful-sounding and well-thought-out system that matches the redesigned RDX's cabin quality and driving experience. It's icing on what is turning out to be a pretty yummy cake from Acura — one we can't wait to taste-test against the rest of this popular class.

Cars.com's Editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. In line with Cars.com's long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don't accept gifts or free trips from automakers. The Editorial department is independent of Cars.com's advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
RDX vs. QX50

Acura RDX Vs. Infiniti QX50: The Best Of Their Brands

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/25307...infiniti-qx50/
TSX69 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 04:41 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DWG

Acura RDX Vs. Infiniti QX50: The Best Of Their Brands

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/25307...infiniti-qx50/
Spoiler alert: there is a cost difference in comparably equipped vehicles.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DWG
LOL. Yeah I got that point.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:02 AM
Instructor

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2019-acura-rdx/review/
The following 2 users liked this post by WPJoe:
quantum7 (07-20-2018), TSX69 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 AM
Instructor

Surprise surprise.
they hate the fake noise.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:34 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Cnet

2019 Acura RDX review: Left-brain luxury

By Manuel Carrillo III
Reviewed: July 20, 2018
The Good The new RDX is one of the more attractive vehicles in the small luxury SUV class, and it boasts 1 of the quietest, comfiest interiors, too.
The Bad Poor transmission tuning isn't great for around-town driving.
The Bottom Line While its European competitors might be a bit more buttoned-down on the road, Acura's RDX is a compelling, competent package, and arguably the best value in the compact luxury SUV segment.

4 *s
Roadshow Editors' Rating

8.1 Overall
  • Performance 7.5
  • Features 8.5
  • Design 9
  • Media 7.5
When Acura's US designers and engineers were tasked with bringing the all-new 2019 RDX to market, they studied the competition, strived to beat their segment opponents via every metric they could, and then decided to sell their finished product for thousands less.

That's an ambitious business plan, but on paper with this nearly loaded $45,500 RDX A-Spec, the new Acura delivers by offering more luxury, power, tech and space than the vaunted Europeans, which hover closer to the $50,000 mark, or substantially beyond, when comparably equipped.

As a result of the Acura RDX's mission to offer more SUV for less cash, my expectations were raised. Does the behind-the-wheel experience meet these goals?

Mixed 1st impressions

My week with the 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec begins with a quick jaunt around the block. But after just a few miuntes of driving the new SUV, I'm giving it a dollop of side-eye. The crossover's 10-speed automatic transmission is great, but because it shifts to about 6th gear by 35 miles per hour, you hear the sound of the engine rise and fall way too often during city driving.

Fortunately, thanks to the smooth, well-timed programming of the transmission, you never feel any jerkiness through those myriad shifts. But because Acura pipes artificial engine noise through the cabin's speakers to add a dash of sport to the drive, you are forced to hear the engine fluttering through gears. It's not a becoming noise, and it doesn't make a good first impression.

Those fake sounds are really pronounced because the RDX offers 1 of the quieter cabins I've experienced recently. To quell this disconcerting artificiality, I twist the large, center-stack-mounted, NSX-inspired drive-mode control knob counterclockwise to bring the RDX into its Comfort setting. In Comfort mode, the electric power steering becomes lighter, the throttle-response profile and optional torque-vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel Drive are given a light sedative, but most importantly for my sanity, the Active Sound Control's artificial noise-making steps into its quietest setting. The irritating fake noise is still there, but it's nothing that rolling down the windows or some medium-volume music can't solve. Funnily enough, the 272-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine itself sounds refined. Therefore, the Active Sound Control's existence is superfluous for everyday driving.

For this new 3rd-gen RDX, Acura was able to reduce the unibody's weight by 41 pounds, while increasing its rigidity by 38.3 percent. The structure's key dimensions are raised, too: length is up 2.4 inches, which goes mostly toward increasing max cargo volume, up this year by 2.9 cubic feet to 79.8. Width is also increased by 1.1 inches compared with last year's RDX, and with a 2.6-inch longer wheelbase, the front and rear overhangs are now shorter, but passenger volume is up half a cubic foot to 104.

As a result of all these dimensional shifts, the 2019 RDX's center of gravity has moved 3.1 inches aft, thus yielding a more athletic 57/43 front/rear weight distribution, compared with last year's 60/40. Despite these improvements, the BMW X3, which weighs 137 pounds (or an entire me) more, does a much better job of hiding its weight and elevated center of gravity. The RDX, in contrast, feels every bit of its high-riding 4,019 pounds.The RDX dives under braking, exhibits noticeable body roll with sudden course corrections, and even though its suspension does a great job of soaking up choppiness, the bumps that do filter through lend to a subtle bucking feeling in the cabin.

Born to run

The RDX may not be ashamed to show its faults around town, but get it cruising on the highway, and it becomes an A student. This has to be one of the quieter vehicles on sale today, which makes long-distance trips much more enjoyable. That serenity pairs well with some of the most comfortable seats in the industry. My current benchmark for seat comfort can be found with Nissan and Infiniti's NASA-inspired "Zero Gravity" technology, but the seats in the Acura RDX come pretty darn close. In-cabin enjoyment only gets better as soon as you crank the RDX's available 710-watt, 16-speaker, 16-channel ELS Studio 3D sound system.

Whether listening to 320-Kbps Spotify files from my USB-connected iPhone or 2,113-Kbps, 5.1-channel audio files like the ones Acura provided me on a thumb drive, the ELS system gives me hours of listening enjoyment, although I wish the four headliner-mounted "Highline" speakers did a better job of lifting the sound stage. Still, it's a respectable premium audio system that does of great job of making the RDX's cabin feel even more upscale.

I love how the interior is built to wrap around you while still feeling airy. The center console sits high, which makes you feel like you're nestled inside the car as opposed to sitting on top of it. Acura then adds a generous amount of storage space underneath the console. By my estimate, you could fit an entire air conditioning compressor or an alternator and a small bag of Flamin' Hot Cheetos under there, although most people will likely just lay down a passenger's cell phone or tablet right in front of the adjacent charging port.During my turnaround trip from Los Angeles to Palm Springs, most of my time behind the RDX's wheel is accompanied by a blissful smile. The quiet Milano leather-lined interior, supple highway ride and pleasing ELS audio combine to enrapture me into tranquility.

The RDX's impressive, class-leading suite of standard safety features also aids my peace of mind. The SUV is equipped with eight airbags, 2 of which protect the driver and front passenger's knees. Also standard on the RDX is forward collision warning and mitigation, lane-keep assist, multi-angle rearview camera and tire-pressure monitoring. This RDX A-Spec is also equipped with rear cross-traffic monitoring, parking sensors all around and blind-spot alert.

Commendable in corners

On the way back to Los Angeles, I interrupt my relaxed bliss with an exciting expedition into the San Gabriel Mountains for some canyon carving. I'm curious to see how the RDX's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive will react to being driven in anger.

On twisty canyon roads, the RDX still displays stilty heaviness, but I can feel the SH-AWD expertly managing the VTEC engine's 280 pound-feet of torque. I dive into a bend with just a little too much speed so I can hear the tires begin to mumble for mercy, and then I shut them up with a hint of throttle before the apex.

Once I pass the apex, I squeeze the accelerator for a full-blast exit, and a feeling of empowerment washes over me. "I just erased understeer," I giggle to myself. If the RDX were sentient, this is the moment I'd lock onto its bejewelled LED eyes, and with a seductive stare, utter, "Hey, girl. How you doin'?"

The RDX A-Spec is admirable for the sporty traits it exhibits on a back road, but it's no sports car, and neither is it supposed to be. However, my mind keeps going back to the BMW X3, and how that heavier SUV is able to trick me into thinking I'm driving a compact sports sedan. I never get that sense in the RDX, and that's a shame, because, at least in the dry, I prefer the fluidity of Acura's SH-AWD to BMW's xDrive.

But the Acura has some advantages over the BMW, namely in the powertrain department. The RDX's engine is 24 horsepower and 22 pound-feet of torque ahead of the BMW's turbocharged 4-cylinder, and the Acura feels much more urgent to build speed, as a result. The 10-speed, paddle-shift automatic transmission certainly helps with the immediacy, but also with efficiency. In top gear at 70 mph, the RDX is only turning about 1,800 rpm.

Oddly, the RDX is only rated at 26 miles per gallon for highway fuel economy. Ratings of 21 in the city and 23 combined are just average, but after a week and 396 miles with the RDX, I only managed 18.4 mpg. Even accounting for my spirited run through the San Gabriels, I would've been happy to see a number matching the EPA's city figure.

Beauty and brains

It's the climax of golden hour in the heavens overlooking Los Angeles, and I'm armed with a long camera lens. As the sun takes its final bow for the day, I'm captivated not only by the silence and beauty of the wilderness, but also by the RDX's visual allure. In full preparation for the hate comments this statement will generate, I must declare that the RDX (to my eyes and by a narrow margin) is better-looking than the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, thus making it the best-looking compact SUV on sale today.

Gone from the RDX's nose is the hideous shield grille, and in its place is Acura's new diamond-pentagon maw nestled between attractive Jewel Eye LED headlights that are some of the most effective I've experienced on any vehicle. My favorite part of the RDX's face lies in the wing-shaped air curtain openings that help to reduce drag. Overall, the RDX, even with its 8.2 inches of ground clearance, appears to be hugging the road.

The good looks translate to the interior, too. Not only does it wrap around you, but it looks good doing it. It's a pretty functional place to be, too. Acura's True Touchpad Interface is intuitive in that the touchpad on the center console acts like a touchscreen. In other words, if you need to click on something in the upper-right of the 10.2-inch HD screen, simply place your finger on the upper-right corner of the touchpad, and you're there.

The RDX is the 1st new Acura to get the new True Touchpad Interface, which, according to Acura, went through tens of thousands of testing hours at Ohio State University's Driving Simulation Laboratory. Within minutes, I'm comfortable navigating Acura's Android-based operating system as well as the integrated Apple CarPlay. The speed of my acclimation jibes with Ohio State's and Acura's R&D findings, which show that users typically become comfortable with the interface within minutes.

After a week with the vehicle, touchpad commands are edging on 2nd-nature for me, so I see promise in this new setup. It's easily better than Lexus' Remote Touch Interface, and if I spend more time with it, I think it's poised to beat industry leaders like Audi's MMI and BMW's iDrive.

Still missing the magic

Overall, the 2019 RDX is a good-looking, comfortable, sprightly and value-priced entry in the compact luxury SUV segment. If price is a primary consideration for you, then this is arguably the top pick in the class, but if you can afford to venture into the $50,000-plus range, I might choose something with a European badge instead.

If you're considering something with a Lexus or Infiniti badge, I'll save you time by saying that you can forget the Lexus NX 300. Its turbocharged 4-cylinder doesn't offer near the refinement or power that the Acura can, and while almost $1,000 less when comparably equipped, its 71.6 and 17.7 cubic feet of passenger and behind-2nd-row cargo volume pale in comparison to the Acura's 104 and 29.5 cubic feet.

The Infiniti QX50 is on par overall (especially when it comes to interior volumes) with the RDX. However, comparably equipped, it's still just over $4,000 dearer.

Pick the RDX, and your left brain can be satisfied in knowing that you drove off the lot in something that offers more power, luxury, tech and space than the competition, and you get to keep a load of cash in your pocket, too. But if you're right-brain dominant, the RDX may set you on a course of wondering what could have been with the pricier competition.

Do yourself a favor and tell your right brain to shut it. An extra $5,000 to $10,000 in your checking account can buy a lot of right-brain satisfaction. Sure, the RDX's priciest competitors -- the Audi Q5, BMW X3 and Mercedes-Benz GLC -- feel a little more special overall, but that added premium feel isn't worth the price. The RDX may feel a little out of sorts around town and in need of more chassis tuning, but for the price, it's the one you should get.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by WPJoe
Interesting and mostly a very positive review of the RDX.
The two associated videos were well done and he seemed very pleased with the intuitive True Touchpad Interface.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
" Do yourself a favor and tell your right brain to shut it. "
Old 07-20-2018, 12:37 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DWG
I think if Acura were targeting softer rides more focused on comfort, you would have seen their initial media launch compare the RDX to the Infiniti or the Lexus utes. Acura's pushing for performance over luxury hence why they targeted the BMW X3 and Audi Q5 for their benchmarks. I have a feeling more buyers will agree to go with the RDX over Infiniti as we continue to get more sales figures head to head.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:39 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb CatMan70

Old 07-24-2018, 07:56 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Thanks for sharing.

This is a very honest and simple review. Enjoyed watching it.

Today we have a huge issue with reviews. Most reviewers are biased or focus on only a few positive or negative aspects of a car. For example, if a car doesn't offer carplay - it's the end of the world and the car gets all kind of negative reviews. Or sometimes, you see a car doesn't have so many important features and the price tag is just wrong and the reviewers praise it just because it has beautiful LED tail lights lol. Even my all time favorite reviewers, Alex is biased sometimes...watch his Infiniti reviews and you will understand what I mean.

It's always good to watch reviews and see the car from someone else' view but go test drive and play around with the features that you need before putting your down payment
Old 07-24-2018, 08:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
...Today we have a huge issue with reviews. Most reviewers are biased or focus on only a few positive or negative aspects of a car...
Yeah, one of my favorites is how a reviewer will take a 30 second look at the infotainment system and decide that it's complicated/unusual/different/etc. and pan it because it has a bit of a learning curve.

I saw a recent Consumer Reports panel discussion that touched on the RDX 1-to-1 mapping of the touch pad to the screen. In that discussion they criticized it for not operating like a 'typical' mouse or laptop touch pad that 'everyone already knows how to use' - yet when they did a review of the Lexus which does have a 'typical' interface they (along with just about every other reviewer) panned it for being difficult to use, especially while driving. Some people like to make noise for the sake of making noise.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Yeah, one of my favorites is how a reviewer will take a 30 second look at the infotainment system and decide that it's complicated/unusual/different/etc. and pan it because it has a bit of a learning curve.

I saw a recent Consumer Reports panel discussion that touched on the RDX 1-to-1 mapping of the touch pad to the screen. In that discussion they criticized it for not operating like a 'typical' mouse or laptop touch pad that 'everyone already knows how to use' - yet when they did a review of the Lexus which does have a 'typical' interface they (along with just about every other reviewer) panned it for being difficult to use, especially while driving. Some people like to make noise for the sake of making noise.
100%!

I watched that one too. I hate when they criticize the infotainment of RDX base don 2 min of their use time. If you use the new Acura infotainment for 1-2 days, you will be an expert. Everything needs some time to learn and get used to it. anyway,I am with you on the same page.

That's why I am saying due your own test drive and use the system instead of listening to someone who used the car for 30 min.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Agreed. I love the new infotainment system with the 1 to 1 mapping ratio. It is SO easy to use. It took both my wife and I no more than a few days to become pros with it. Such a huge improvement over the lexus system with the cursor!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by SK1124
Agreed. I love the new infotainment system with the 1 to 1 mapping ratio. It is SO easy to use. It took both my wife and I no more than a few days to become pros with it. Such a huge improvement over the lexus system with the cursor!
I believe you and thanks for sharing your experience with us. I am sure it will help new buyers.

Btw - your car looks great and enjoy!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
100%!

I watched that one too. I hate when they criticize the infotainment of RDX base don 2 min of their use time. If you use the new Acura infotainment for 1-2 days, you will be an expert. Everything needs some time to learn and get used to it. anyway,I am with you on the same page.

That's why I am saying due your own test drive and use the system instead of listening to someone who used the car for 30 min.
I went through that with iDive. The tester that had two hours with the car whined all over the place. As an owner, once I learned what it could do and how to make it do it, it was a revelation compared to the available few buttons on cars of that time.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:39 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Car Confections

Old 07-26-2018, 09:44 AM
AZ Community Team

2019 Acura RDX: High-tech and luxurious in all the right places [Quick Take] | KPIC
TSX69 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 02:11 PM
AZ Community Team

One of the best reviews so far! Enjoy folks:
TSX69 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 06:32 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Tfl

https://www.tflcar.com/2018/07/2019-...a-spec-review/

2019 Acura RDX A-Spec: How Does Acura’s 1st American-Born Crossover Stack Up? [Review]

Acura's all-new RDX brings a whole new attitude to the model and the brand.
July 25, 2018
[Photo: Acura]

OVERVIEW

The 2019 Acura RDX is the 1st Acura designed and developed totally in America. Designers created the new model at the company’s Design Studio in Los Angeles, while the new RDX is assembled in East Liberty, Ohio.

Acura continues the trim levels from its other models. That includes the base RDX, as well as the Technology and Advance Packages. All models are available with front- or all-wheel drive. However, the 2019 model brings 1 new addition: the sporty-looking A-Spec variant.

The 2019 Acura RDX went on sale nationwide June 1, 2018 with a starting MSRP of $37,300. Prices head upward from there, topping out at $47,400, excluding a $995 destination charge. The new model comes standard with an array of premium features and technologies. Better yet, it’s the same price as the outgoing model. However, you get more standard equipment, as it now comes equipped with AcuraWatch, a suite of safety and driver assistance technology.

Available new premium features in the Technology or Advance packages include 16-way power adjustable heated and ventilated front seats, a 10.5-inch full-color Head-Up Display and a 16-channel ELS Studio 3D premium audio, as well as a Surround View Camera System, Cross Traffic Monitor and blind spot monitoring.

NEW FOR 2019: RDX A-SPEC

The RDX is the 1st Acura SUV available with the A-Spec sport appearance package. The package includes 20-inch wheels and low-profile 245/45R20 tires, gloss black exterior accents, large-diameter exhaust finishers, A-Spec badging and exclusive interior upgrades including an available red or black leather interior with black Ultrasuede inserts.

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE

Moving into the interior, the new RDX provides luxurious interior appointments. Authentic brushed aluminum, stainless steel and Olive Ash wood accents make their appearance throughout the cabin. Acura fitted supportive sport seats, an ultra-wide panoramic moonroof and a high-deck floating center console that features a new touchpad interface and an NSX-inspired drive mode dial. The cabin space has expanded over the previous model, as well. Acura designed the 2019 RDX with more rear legroom and a larger (+3.4 cubic feet) cargo area. There’s also an additional 1.7 cubic feet of compartmented underfloor storage.

Acura has also updated infotainment and connectivity equipment in the new RDX, with the 1st application of Acura’s True Touchpad Interface. It’s an approach that combines the features of a conventional touchscreen and a 1:1 touchpad control system. Acura mounted the 10.2-inch display high atop the center stack. Acura is also launching a new, 16-speaker ELS Studio 3D premium audio system with this model.

Other features include is the new natural language voice recognition system, the latest generation of AcuraLink connectivity with in-vehicle 4G LTE, available over-the-air software updates and a wide array of cloud-based services. Those services include emergency roadside assistance, remote locking/unlocking and engine start, stolen vehicle tracking, remote diagnostics, geofencing, speed tracking and more.

PERFORMANCE

The 2019 Acura RDX shifts along thanks to a 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder turbocharged engine. The new unit makes its peak output of 272 horsepower at 6,500 rpm, along with 280 lb-ft of torque. Motive force is geared to the driving wheels via an electronically-controlled 10-speed automatic transmission with sequential SportShift Paddle Shifters. The new RDX has bests its rivals, including the Audi Q5, BMW X3 and Mercedes-Benz GLC and Volvo XC60 on performance figures. In fact, the new RDX pumps out 40 percent more low-end torque than the outgoing 3.6-liter V6.

The acceleration and performance capability is a superlative improvement over that of the outgoing model. The 2019 Acura RDX The ride quality leans to the firm side of the scale without being harsh, and the handling attributes are nimble and responsive.

The next-generation of Acura’s SH-AWD features improved rear-wheel torque capacity over the previous generation system. It amplifying the capabilities of Acura’s dynamic torque vectoring technology with up to 70 percent of torque available to the rear wheels. Up to 100 percent of that torque is distributable to either the right-rear or left-rear wheel.

All RDX models are equipped with Acura’s Integrated Dynamics System. The system features Snow, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ modes. Each mode is designed to provide a wide range of dynamic experiences to suit the driving environment. The system works through the 10-speed transmission, electric power steering and the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system (if equipped) to provide a wider range of driving experiences and dynamic capabilities based on the needs of the driver and driving conditions.

TFLCAR’S TAKE

The 2019 Acura RDX proved itself to be a right-sized crossover for many consumers shopping in the class. It is luxurious and comfortable, but also delivers a sporty, fun-to-drive persona.

As with all other Acura models, the 2019 RDX is covered by a comprehensive 4-year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper limited warranty. Powertrain coverage extends to six years or 70,000 miles. Additional ownership benefits include Acura Total Luxury Care, which provides free 24-hour roadside assistance, concierge service and trip routing.

Check back to TFLcar.com for more news, views and real-world reviews! Subscribe to
The Fast Lane Car and TFLnow on YouTube for more videos published throughout the week.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Reads more like a marketing page than an actually review. Probably one of the worse review I have read. Zero personality and opinion.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I don’t remember seeing this here before. It focuses on the TTI. Doesn’t go as in depth as I would lik, but.....

billy
Old 07-30-2018, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I am not sure if this was posted yet, but US News & World Report now has completed it's ranking for the new RDX, and it's a good one. The RDX is the #1 Luxury Compact SUV beating out Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Infiniti. The current score of 9.0 does not factor in Safety and Reliability scores yet either, and assuming those are up to the prior RDX's standard, I could see the overall score for the new RDX moving up to 9.1 or 9.2.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/acura/rdx
The following 2 users liked this post by TLMDXRDX:
billyt1963 (07-30-2018), Tony Pac (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TLMDXRDX
I am not sure if this was posted yet, but US News & World Report now has completed it's ranking for the new RDX, and it's a good one. The RDX is the #1 Luxury Compact SUV beating out Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Infiniti. The current score of 9.0 does not factor in Safety and Reliability scores yet either, and assuming those are up to the prior RDX's standard, I could see the overall score for the new RDX moving up to 9.1 or 9.2.

Correct!

I saw that a few days ago. I love that website. Their ranking isn't random based on someone's opinion but based on ~15 reviews. Infiniti QX50 is low considering it's a brand new model. Far from the competition.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLMDXRDX

If you are not counting safety and reliability, Q5 beats or tie in the current 3 categories with an avg score that would put it above RDX. (Tie only on performance, Q5 beats RDX in critics rating and interior)

its reliability that dragged Q5 down.

Last edited by acuraada; 07-30-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

This video review/comparsion cracks me up. It is sponsored and published by Acura, the funniest line in the video is at 1:39 where he states, "If you drive a car with a dragon tail taillight, your days will automatically be better" .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews/Press