3G RDX vs Mazda CX-5 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I’ve owned Acura’s since my 1996 Integra and had the Gen 1 RDX. I test drove the 2019 several times starting over a year ago and was wondering about what trim to buy when the CX-5 turbo Signature appeared. That’s what I got and have no regrets. 250 hp with premium and 310 torque so lots of pep and great handling (read the reviews).
I prefer the shifter to push buttons, I like the HUD and ventilated seats.
But above all I prefer the understated design language (less bling than the RDX) and the size. It’s 8” shorter than the RDX and is a much better fit in my garage. It’s not perfect and less luxurious than the RDX, but like MADD Dog noted, it just suits me better. That’s ultimately what should be the deciding factor in your choice of car.
The following 5 users liked this post by cheffip:
acuraada (09-16-2019), Comfy (09-23-2019), JustMe... (09-15-2019), Madd Dog (09-15-2019), supafamous (09-15-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:20 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cheffip
I’ve owned Acura’s since my 1996 Integra and had the Gen 1 RDX. I test drove the 2019 several times starting over a year ago and was wondering about what trim to buy when the CX-5 turbo Signature appeared. That’s what I got and have no regrets. 250 hp with premium and 310 torque so lots of pep and great handling (read the reviews).
I prefer the shifter to push buttons, I like the HUD and ventilated seats.
But above all I prefer the understated design language (less bling than the RDX) and the size. It’s 8” shorter than the RDX and is a much better fit in my garage. It’s not perfect and less luxurious than the RDX, but like MADD Dog noted, it just suits me better. That’s ultimately what should be the deciding factor in your choice of car.
I almost bought the CX-5 turbo (Reserve model), test drove many times. In my case, I wish it was a little bigger. I love the handling/nimble of the CX5 especially coming from a ND MX5. The Reserve came with all the features where my Base RDX AWD doesn't even have blind spot monitoring LOL!!.

Last edited by tntrac; 09-18-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
A word of advice from an older guy: screw what other people think about the car you drive. Drive the car that suits you and meets your needs. Who cares what strangers think, or what judgmental relatives think. I have owned and driven a stripped down Dodge Colt to a BMW 535, and I did it to suit the needs, desires, and budget of the day.
Well said !!
Old 09-23-2019, 07:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, newb here, I just got my RDX 3 months ago and it was a close decision with the Mazda, the deciding factor for me was not having choices for the seat colors.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:00 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by tntrac
In my case, I wish it was a little bigger..
I mean ... you have the CX-9. Similar styling, same engine, bigger dimensions ... all while still coming out cheaper than the RDX on most trims. This was actually my top choice over the RDX, but certain people in the buying process didn't want to go with a "small" company.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by leomio85
I mean ... you have the CX-9. Similar styling, same engine, bigger dimensions ... all while still coming out cheaper than the RDX on most trims. This was actually my top choice over the RDX, but certain people in the buying process didn't want to go with a "small" company.
I hear you. I didn't need the 3rd row. I actually test drove it too. Most of the time I am driving with no other passenger. The RDX was enough to sleep in during camping trip.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:58 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by tntrac
I hear you. I didn't need the 3rd row. I actually test drove it too. Most of the time I am driving with no other passenger. The RDX was enough to sleep in during camping trip.
Yea, if we had gone with the CX-9, that third row would live in the down position. I guess it would be annoying not having a completely level cargo area, but I'm sure we'd live, lol.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:19 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
I bought a 2020 CX-5 Signature last week. It reminds me a lot of my 2019 RDX Advance, but without the problems I had with mine. Performance, size, and fuel economy are reasonably close. Fit and finish are better on the Hiroshima-made CX-5. The RDX's ELS 3D Studio audio system had more bass and played louder, but the CX-5's Bose system impresses given it has 38% fewer speakers and the subwoofer is only 5.25" vs. 8". The graphics in the CX-5's infotainment system look dated, but it's stable and functional. The CX-5 has less road noise than the RDX. Engine noise is similar - both now use electronically-generated sound. The CX-5 has all the premium features I enjoyed in the RDX including a head-up display, ventilated seats, 360° camera view, radar cruise control, and full-LED interior lighting.

Features the CX-5 Signature has that the RDX Advance didn't:
  • self-leveling headlights (to prevent blinding others while hauling cargo)
  • swiveling headlights (far more effective than the RDX's fixed adaptive headlights)
  • power folding side mirrors (never realized how convenient this was until now)
  • black headliner
  • spare tire (I feel much safer having a spare instead of a can of sealant)
  • windshield wiper de-icer
  • Android Auto (finally became available on the RDX)
Features the RDX had that the CX-5 doesn't:
  • 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot capability with telematics (I never use a hotspot and don't like paying for telematics)
  • idle stop (thank goodness the CX-5 doesn't have this)
  • adaptive dampers (I always left the RDX in "comfort" mode)
  • front LED turn signals
  • capless fuel filler (convenient - saves 5 seconds of my life at every fill-up)
  • 8 driver's seat adjustments vs. 5 (I never move a seat after the initial adjustment)
  • rear camera washer (this was very nice)
  • panoramic roof
Otherwise, the vehicles mostly match feature-for-feature when it comes to comfort, convenience, and safety. Looks are very subjective. I prefer the RDX's side and front views, but the CX-5's rear view. Mazda's AWD system isn't quite as capable as Honda's/Acura's in certain situations which most drivers will rarely, if ever, encounter.

Having owned both a CX-5 and RDX and dismissing the problems I had with the latter, I'd say the CX-5 is most of what an RDX is at only some of the price. Before Mazda added the 2.5T engine and two higher trim levels to the CX-5 for 2019, I might have chosen a CR-V over a CX-5. But now, I think the CX-5 is stepping on the RDX's toes. They're both quick, great-handling compact SUVs, but I wouldn't recommending buying an RDX without considering a CX-5 first - you might just save yourself ten grand.

The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 05:33 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
I bought a 2020 CX-5 Signature last week. It reminds me a lot of my 2019 RDX Advance, but without the problems I had with mine. Performance, size, and fuel economy are reasonably close. Fit and finish are better on the Hiroshima-made CX-5. The RDX's ELS 3D Studio audio system had more bass and played louder, but the CX-5's Bose system impresses given it has 38% fewer speakers and the subwoofer is only 5.25" vs. 8". The graphics in the CX-5's infotainment system look dated, but it's stable and functional. The CX-5 has less road noise than the RDX. Engine noise is similar - both now use electronically-generated sound. The CX-5 has all the premium features I enjoyed in the RDX including a head-up display, ventilated seats, 360° camera view, radar cruise control, and full-LED interior lighting.

Features the CX-5 Signature has that the RDX Advance didn't:
  • self-leveling headlights (to prevent blinding others while hauling cargo)
  • swiveling headlights (far more effective than the RDX's fixed adaptive headlights)
  • power folding side mirrors (never realized how convenient this was until now)
  • black headliner
  • spare tire (I feel much safer having a spare instead of a can of sealant)
  • windshield wiper de-icer
  • Android Auto (finally became available on the RDX)
Features the RDX had that the CX-5 doesn't:
  • 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot capability with telematics (I never use a hotspot and don't like paying for telematics)
  • idle stop (thank goodness the CX-5 doesn't have this)
  • adaptive dampers (I always left the RDX in "comfort" mode)
  • front LED turn signals
  • capless fuel filler (convenient - saves 5 seconds of my life at every fill-up)
  • 8 driver's seat adjustments vs. 5 (I never move a seat after the initial adjustment)
  • rear camera washer (this was very nice)
  • panoramic roof
Otherwise, the vehicles mostly match feature-for-feature when it comes to comfort, convenience, and safety. Looks are very subjective. I prefer the RDX's side and front views, but the CX-5's rear view. Mazda's AWD system isn't quite as capable as Honda's/Acura's in certain situations which most drivers will rarely, if ever, encounter.

Having owned both a CX-5 and RDX and dismissing the problems I had with the latter, I'd say the CX-5 is most of what an RDX is at only some of the price. Before Mazda added the 2.5T engine and two higher trim levels to the CX-5 for 2019, I might have chosen a CR-V over a CX-5. But now, I think the CX-5 is stepping on the RDX's toes. They're both quick, great-handling compact SUVs, but I wouldn't recommending buying an RDX without considering a CX-5 first - you might just save yourself ten grand.
I agree with many of your observations. We also cross shopped the 2 vehicles and purchased a 2019 CX-5 Sig about a year and a half ago. While I put the RDX a bit above in class, Mazda is making up some ground in that area. The things I really wish we had is the pano roof and the way better sound system that's in the RDX. I have a huge collection of FLAC files that I'm SOL trying to play in the CX-5. I also have redundant copies on MP3, but not the same. It's my wife's daily, so those two options weren't deal breakers for me. I'm holding out for the RDX that appeared at SEMA a couple years ago.

The issues you had with the Acura seem to be rare and something every manufacture has to deal with. It's the luck of the draw. The odds are in you favor now.
zroger73 (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 06:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JustMe...
The issues you had with the Acura seem to be rare and something every manufacture has to deal with. It's the luck of the draw. The odds are in you favor now.
Although discouraging, I'll give Acura a pass on the RDX considering: 1) It was a new model at the time, 2) the nearest Acura dealer was a three-hour round trip for me, and 3) some of the problems could have been addressed or masked through software updates (brakes, vibration, infotainment).

The RDX alone did not drive me away from Honda - it was the increasing number of issues I began to experience with each new Honda I purchased starting in 2016 along with Honda's refusal to demonstrate any interest in retaining the business of a loyal, repeat buyer and brand advocate that did. I gave Honda multiple opportunities to provide trade assistance to get me out of the 2019 Ridgeline lemon and into a new 2020 Ridgeline, but they refused.

Most people don't trade every year on average like I do and having purchased 11 new Hondas over a 14-year period proved to me that quality was declining. I simply can't continue rewarding the automaker with my money for yet another chance of winning the lottery. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:54 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
We sat in a CX-5 at the car show when we were looking at new cars but it felt cramped to me. Especially for the drivers right leg with that center console that doesn't allow you to lean your knee over. I have a bad ankle and can't get comfortable like that so that was a deal breaker for me. The leg room in the RDX was a feature that really stood out for us. Other than that it seemed like it could be a very nice car and definitely worth a look.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:30 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by GW208
We sat in a CX-5 at the car show when we were looking at new cars but it felt cramped to me. Especially for the drivers right leg with that center console that doesn't allow you to lean your knee over. I have a bad ankle and can't get comfortable like that so that was a deal breaker for me. The leg room in the RDX was a feature that really stood out for us. Other than that it seemed like it could be a very nice car and definitely worth a look.
If Mazda still made the CX-7 in the US, I probably would have bought it. I really liked the 5's style, build quality and materials. The infotainment system is laughably dated, but it works. The 5 was just too small inside for me. The next gen will likely be another big leap for Mazda.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:47 AM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by DJA123
If Mazda still made the CX-7 in the US, I probably would have bought it. I really liked the 5's style, build quality and materials. The infotainment system is laughably dated, but it works. The 5 was just too small inside for me. The next gen will likely be another big leap for Mazda.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...es-143256.html

Rumour mill is that the next CX-5 might jump onto the new RWD platform that Mazda is working on that the CX-9 and 6 will be going onto. Allegedly the platform is being used by Lexus as well for the IS sedan so it could be pretty premium. Along with a 6 cylinder it would likely grow a half size to be like the RDX or X3.
zroger73 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:03 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by supafamous
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...es-143256.html

Rumour mill is that the next CX-5 might jump onto the new RWD platform that Mazda is working on that the CX-9 and 6 will be going onto. Allegedly the platform is being used by Lexus as well for the IS sedan so it could be pretty premium. Along with a 6 cylinder it would likely grow a half size to be like the RDX or X3.
The latest information I've read was from Car and Driver (April 13, 2020) who suggests Mazda's new inline-6, RWD platform will first come to the Mazda6 and that the engine (not necessarily the platform) may be co-developed with and shared by Toyota/Lexus. There was no mention of the CX-5 or CX-9 in that particular story, Of course, there may be other information they didn't cover.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I bought a 2020 CX-5 Signature last week. It reminds me a lot of my 2019 RDX Advance, but without the problems I had with mine. Performance, size, and fuel economy are reasonably close. Fit and finish are better on the Hiroshima-made CX-5..
Congrats on the new ride. I also looked at the CX-5 Signature and it is a very nice vehicle. I wanted to move away from the turbo (I tend to keep my vehicles forever and was concerned with longterm, but also because I just like the smoothness of a V6).
I ended up doing the unexpected and picked up a Lexus RX 350 and am very satisfied.....local dealer was very willing to discount (pre Covid) so price was excellent.

I really like the look of the CX5. Enjoy!
zroger73 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:38 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Mazda clearly has a game plan for their move upmarket and the reports of RWD platforms and I6 engines are completely consistent with that. Looking at Acura and Mazda, I see two brands vying for the same space, and one showing clear commitment. I'm a longtime H/A buyer but my recent experience with Acura hasn't felt like a premium brand experience. Add the surging Genesis brand to the mix and Acura had better run faster or risk being a business case study.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
Mazda clearly has a game plan for their move upmarket and the reports of RWD platforms and I6 engines are completely consistent with that. Looking at Acura and Mazda, I see two brands vying for the same space, and one showing clear commitment. I'm a longtime H/A buyer but my recent experience with Acura hasn't felt like a premium brand experience. Add the surging Genesis brand to the mix and Acura had better run faster or risk being a business case study.
Mazda's getting there and the product is quite good (the exterior and interior designs for the CX-5 is definitely a premium grade). However, time will tell whether they (or anyone else for that matter) will be able to succeed in this no-mans land between mainstream and luxury. It's really tough because it's not an aspirational or terminal market space, so you need to constantly keep things fresh to generate renewed interest and continue pulling in new customers as your existing customers age out. That is, when your existing customers experience financial upward mobility, unless you were able to foster a high degree of brand loyalty, they'll tend to move further up-market. A generalization for sure, but in business school they teach that you want to either be at the low end or the high end of the market; the middle is where companies go to die.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by quantum7
Congrats on the new ride. I also looked at the CX-5 Signature and it is a very nice vehicle. I wanted to move away from the turbo (I tend to keep my vehicles forever and was concerned with longterm, but also because I just like the smoothness of a V6).
I ended up doing the unexpected and picked up a Lexus RX 350 and am very satisfied.....local dealer was very willing to discount (pre Covid) so price was excellent.

I really like the look of the CX5. Enjoy!
My budget allows for a Lexus (or other luxury brand), but I have a mental cutoff of about $45K for a new vehicle. I don't buy used vehicles as a personal preference. An RX 350 equipped to my liking would be well north of $50K. I appreciate the Lexus ride, quietness, smoothness, and reliability, though.

Although I don't care for the delayed response of most turbocharged engines, I'm not seeing sufficient evidence to suggest that the turbochargers themselves in gasoline-powered passenger vehicles are a cause for concern in any brand. Turbochargers have been common in passenger vehicles for several years now and are found in virtually every heady duty vehicle made in the last several decades. Mazda uses a valve that alters the flow of exhaust gas to the turbo to improve response at low RPMs and it seems to work - there's little to no significant delay between pressing the accelerator pedal and getting power. What bothers me more than "turbo lag" is the typical 4-cylinder sound and lack of smoothness compared to a V6 or particularly a V8 or I6. Despite the relatively large displacement of Mazda's 2.5L and 2.5T engines, they are relatively smooth and quiet. However, the magic is in the isolation because if you pop the hood, you'll see the engine seemingly shaking itself to pieces at idle. Fortunately, this doesn't make its way into the cabin.

Last edited by zroger73; 05-28-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
My budget allows for a Lexus (or other luxury brand), but I have a mental cutoff of about $45K for a new vehicle. I don't buy used vehicles as a personal preference. An RX 350 equipped to my liking would be well north of $50K. I appreciate the Lexus ride, quietness, smoothness, and reliability, though.
My wife and I have been 30+ year Honda Acura owners but in 2010 she wanted a 4Runner. That vehicle has almost 200,000 miles and only has needed a new strut. It is just oil and gas....super reliable. I was all set for an RDX but dealers near me would not budge on price so I tossed Lexus dealer a lowball offer and he said sure....just slightly above your 45k cut off. Actually found another dealer who had exactly what I wanted at a great price (they can quickly balloon with options). I also buy only new and I put a ton of miles on per year (100 mile daily commute). Drives like a Lexus, very comfy but not very exciting....and CarPlay works perfectly with no issues. I am hoping for the expected reliability. Really hope that Acura gets it right with TLX and updated RDX Type S. I really wanted an RDX and who knows when the Type S comes out.

Last edited by quantum7; 05-28-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Brother n law just bought a 2020 Mazda Cx 5 Grand Touring Reserve (1 step down from Signature) Just over 34,000 Out the door. Lot of car for that price.....when i sat in it, felt very nice.. Mazda is 1 of those car companies who dont seem to hear a lot about, but the people I know that have them, all seem to talk highly of them.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:39 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Mazda's getting there and the product is quite good (the exterior and interior designs for the CX-5 is definitely a premium grade). However, time will tell whether they (or anyone else for that matter) will be able to succeed in this no-mans land between mainstream and luxury. It's really tough because it's not an aspirational or terminal market space, so you need to constantly keep things fresh to generate renewed interest and continue pulling in new customers as your existing customers age out. That is, when your existing customers experience financial upward mobility, unless you were able to foster a high degree of brand loyalty, they'll tend to move further up-market. A generalization for sure, but in business school they teach that you want to either be at the low end or the high end of the market; the middle is where companies go to die.
I'm not sure if Mazda's market aspirations stop at "near" or go all the way to "luxury". But regardless, they're acting like their existence depends on the move being successful. It may.

As a fan of their driver-centric approach to car development, I'm rooting for them.

Last edited by DJA123; 05-28-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:28 PM
Pro

I never paid much attention to Mazda, either. A cousin had a new 1990 MX-6 and I remember being impressed by the tightness, materials, and build quality (similar to Honda at that time). A couple of features that stood out were the oscillating center vents and the ability to manually shift the automatic transmission (one of the first applications of that I ever encountered). I bought a new 1995 Ford Probe that was essentially a Mazda MX-6 with a Ford interior and sheet metal. According to CARFAX, it's still on the road 25 years later. Otherwise, I never paid much attention to Mazda until I started driving some of their press loans a few years ago. That led to my purchase of a new MX-5 Miata last year and a CX-5 this year following another bad Honda experience with a 2019 Ridgeline that needed a new transmission at 14,000 miles, had a leaking rear window, and a host of other issues. I gave Honda several opportunities to help with the trade difference to get me into another Ridgeline, but they refused any and all assistance.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:16 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Zroger,
congrats on that CX-5 Signature. It is definitely one sweet ride, and easily the best value in its class. And they are a LOT of fun to drive. I did all the research and in the end the Mazda came out on top of the Acura until the test drives. I spent considerable time behind the wheel of a Signature on 3 separate test drives. It drove awesome, but I just couldn’t get comfortable in it. I needed just a little more room for myself. I spend a lot of time alone in my car, and the CX-5 just felt too cramped. I needed the extra space that the RDX provides. But I had to pay an extra $5k for it. I still want a Mazda someday, but for the foreseeable future I am very happy with my 2020 RDX Advance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cuzz:
acuraada (05-29-2020), zroger73 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 05:38 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

FYI... Mazda ranks high in CR lists. Not a CR promotion, I just received in as a customer.

https://www.mazdausa.com/consumer-re...CID=0017710451
zroger73 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Funny that's exactly what I think of Acura.... Bang for the buck, best value in it's class. Above the gen-pop segment like CRV, RAV4, CX5 but not quite expensive like the X3, GLC, Q5.... etc.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cuzz
Zroger,
congrats on that CX-5 Signature. It is definitely one sweet ride, and easily the best value in its class. And they are a LOT of fun to drive. I did all the research and in the end the Mazda came out on top of the Acura until the test drives. I spent considerable time behind the wheel of a Signature on 3 separate test drives. It drove awesome, but I just couldn’t get comfortable in it. I needed just a little more room for myself. I spend a lot of time alone in my car, and the CX-5 just felt too cramped. I needed the extra space that the RDX provides. But I had to pay an extra $5k for it. I still want a Mazda someday, but for the foreseeable future I am very happy with my 2020 RDX Advance.
ditto on the congrats to Zroger..... I also liked the CX-5 very much and I had the same exactly reasoning with Cuzz... I just wish CX-5 is a little bigger. For it's value, I can take the hit on lack of fun driving aspect (whatever happened to Zoom Zoom ?!) when compared to RDX. Space trumps performance at this point in my life.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:23 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
My Issue with the CX-5 is the dealer. We have only ONE Mazda dealer here, and it has the worst service department I have ever dealt with. Between myself and my son, we have had owned three new vehicles bought and serviced there, and all we have experienced is lies and total incompetence. This is roughly over a ten year period, and has kept me from even test-driving the new CX-5, or any other Mazda product. It is a real shame, but I am very happy with my decision to buy the RDX Advance, and after 18,000 miles and ~16 months, I still get a smile when I am behind the wheel. I am thrilled to own such a nice vehicle.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
My Issue with the CX-5 is the dealer. We have only ONE Mazda dealer here, and it has the worst service department I have ever dealt with. Between myself and my son, we have had owned three new vehicles bought and serviced there, and all we have experienced is lies and total incompetence. This is roughly over a ten year period, and has kept me from even test-driving the new CX-5, or any other Mazda product. It is a real shame, but I am very happy with my decision to buy the RDX Advance, and after 18,000 miles and ~16 months, I still get a smile when I am behind the wheel. I am thrilled to own such a nice vehicle.
Unfortunately, such dealer incompetence has become common to all brands. There's a shortage of good mechanics these days - the few that remain are spread so thin they can't keep up and end up getting burned out or end up being rushed into doing lower quality work. The technicians that replace them are inexperienced. Dealer profits have moved from sales to service - sell the vehicle near cost then make up for it in the service department.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:18 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
I'm kinda confused. Why does the cx-5 even get compared to the RDX. It doesnt nothing better than the RDX besides price.

Wouldnt the CRV be a more fair comparison?
Old 06-06-2020, 02:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ludepower
I'm kinda confused. Why does the cx-5 even get compared to the RDX. It doesnt nothing better than the RDX besides price.

Probably because the CX-5 is more upscale than a CR-V and closer to the RDX in terms of features, performance, and interior materials.

Some things the CX-5 does better than the RDX are acceleration, braking, fuel economy, rand cargo capacity by a small margin along with being more reliable.

Last edited by zroger73; 06-06-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Cuzz (06-07-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 04:14 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Probably because the CX-5 is more upscale than a CR-V and closer to the RDX in terms of features, performance, and interior materials.

Some things the CX-5 does better than the RDX are acceleration, braking, fuel economy, rand cargo capacity by a small margin along with being more reliable.
I'm with you on most of that, but the RDX has more total cargo space.

Acura gives two measurements vs the one used by most other brands. The lower number, which often gets published, doesn't include the floor space between front and rear seats. And that number is indeed slightly less than CX-5 with the floor space included. When adding that additional space, as most manufacturers do (Inc Mazda) in their single rating, the RDX has about 20 cu ft more total cargo space. Apples to apples.

But, I agree, it's a better comparison than the CR-V overall.

Last edited by DJA123; 06-06-2020 at 04:24 PM.
zroger73 (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ludepower

Because Acura buyers tends to be value seeker with left brains. That logic inevitability leads to a closest lower tier competitor that exhibits even more value. Acura buyers also tend not to chase brand names like BMW, Audi or MB.... And many potential Acura buyers are stepping up from CRV/RAV4 so CX-5 is sort of an interesting option.

CX-5 has all of the base features you would want, safety tech, and a better luxury feel than CRV or RAV4. It doesn't have the performance or fun or luxury of RDX but for 10k? Many may choose to save that money, especially if you are leasing for 3 years.
quantum7 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:08 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by acuraada
[The CX-5] doesn't have the performance or fun or luxury of RDX...
I've seen a few others mention this as well and while the differences aren't dramatic (unless you're competing), the CX-5 accelerates and brakes faster in every metric than the RDX based on Car and Driver instrumented testing.

2019 Acura RDX A-Spec SH-AWD vs. 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature AWD

0-60 MPH: 6.6 vs. 6.1 seconds
5-60 MPH (rolling start): 7.0 vs. 6.7 seconds
0-100 MPH: 18.1 vs. 16.2 seconds
30-50 MPH (passing): 3.9 vs. 3.2 seconds
50-70 MPH (passing): 5.2 vs. 4.4 seconds
1/4-mile: 15.2 seconds @ 93 MPH vs. 14.6 seconds @ 95 MPH
Top speed (governer limited): 113 MPH vs. 130 MPH
70-0 MPH (braking): 177 vs. 175 feet

The CX-5 also has lower fuel costs. From Fuelly.com:

Based on data from 72 vehicles, 2,884 fuel-ups and 762,434 miles of driving, the 2019 Acura RDX gets a combined Avg MPG of 21.47 with a 0.13 MPG margin of error. Acura recommends premium and does not specify what the power output is when using regular. The ratings of 272 HP and 280 lb-ft of torque are based on the use of premium.

Based on data from 41 vehicles, 1,317 fuel-ups and 340,662 miles of driving, the 2019 Mazda CX-5 gets a combined Avg MPG of 24.73 with a 0.21 MPG margin of error. Mazda publishes power ratings for 87 and 93 octane so owners can make an informed decision. The engine produces 227 HP on regular, 250 HP on premium, and 320 lb-ft (2020 year model) on either.

The following 3 users liked this post by zroger73:
acuraada (06-07-2020), Cuzz (06-07-2020), DJA123 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Great points. I didn’t even know about the MPG.

I am a firm believer that CX5 should be on every RDX buyers short list.
and If Mazda really wants to target RDX’s segment, they will probably kill it.

Last edited by acuraada; 06-07-2020 at 08:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by acuraada:
JustMe... (06-07-2020), zroger73 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 09:46 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

When Mazda builds the next gen CX-5, I'm expecting a big leap forward for that model. But the size difference will still separate the 5 from the RDX for many potential buyers. I wanted more space and that was the deciding factor for me. But keep your eye on Mazda, they are making compelling and well-made vehicles at prices that make them a great value. When I replace the RDX, Mazda will again be one of the places I look.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree. I love my RDX, but if the CX-5 had about another inch or two of driver’s compartment space I would have bought it over the RDX.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
When Mazda builds the next gen CX-5, I'm expecting a big leap forward for that model. But the size difference will still separate the 5 from the RDX for many potential buyers. I wanted more space and that was the deciding factor for me. But keep your eye on Mazda, they are making compelling and well-made vehicles at prices that make them a great value. When I replace the RDX, Mazda will again be one of the places I look.
From what I’ve read, the next CX-5 will be based on a new platform and expected to grow. As I said in an earlier post, I actually left Acura after 23 years in 2019 because the CX-5 Signature’s smaller size suited me better than the RDX, and I preferred the understated design language to the extra RDX bling. After 18 months, I’ve had no issues whatsoever and have only visited the dealership for routine service. It’s always a question of what you want and need, but it’s worth noting that the CX-5 always tops the major magazine’s reviews as the best driver’s car in its segment. (ie compared to RAV, CRV etc).
Cuzz (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
While shopping for a new vehicle last year I had an opportunity to test drive a CX5 Signature in January. Coming from a cold winter climate it's my preferred time to test drive vehicles to see if the HVAC is up to task.
My 4 takeaways were: dismal heat output, uncomfortable front seats, weak infotainment system and Bose still blows.
We don't use nearly as much salt on our roads as they do out east but Mazda vehicles seem to revert back to iron oxide the quickest compared to other brands.
Ludepower (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 09:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hand-filer
While shopping for a new vehicle last year I had an opportunity to test drive a CX5 Signature in January. Coming from a cold winter climate it's my preferred time to test drive vehicles to see if the HVAC is up to task.
My 4 takeaways were: dismal heat output, uncomfortable front seats, weak infotainment system and Bose still blows.
We don't use nearly as much salt on our roads as they do out east but Mazda vehicles seem to revert back to iron oxide the quickest compared to other brands.
Neither heat output nor rust is not a factor for me...because Texas.

The RDX has three more seat adjustments (thigh extension, side bolsters, lumber height), so the seats can accommodate a wider variety of occupants.

The CX-5's infotainment system graphics are dated, but it's stable. I like the CX-5's rotary knob better than a touch-screen while in motion, but the RDX's trackpad worked well for me, too.

Few factory systems best the RDX's 16-speaker ELS 3D Studio system. Sound is very subjective, though. Personally, I'm fond of the "Bose sound" and find the CX-5's system to be much more than adequate and quite enjoyable with a good quality source (that excludes SXM/HD/FM/AM).

Overall, I think the RDX is a better looking vehicle. I find the driving experience to be similar. Both handle and accelerate well. The CX-5 is a bit quieter. Reliability aside, if I were going for "class", I'd choose the RDX. If I were going for "value", I'd choose the CX-5. When it comes to reliability, I'd have to choose the CX-5.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Neither heat output nor rust is not a factor for me...because Texas.

The RDX has three more seat adjustments (thigh extension, side bolsters, lumber height), so the seats can accommodate a wider variety of occupants.

The CX-5's infotainment system graphics are dated, but it's stable. I like the CX-5's rotary knob better than a touch-screen while in motion, but the RDX's trackpad worked well for me, too.

Few factory systems best the RDX's 16-speaker ELS 3D Studio system. Sound is very subjective, though. Personally, I'm fond of the "Bose sound" and find the CX-5's system to be much more than adequate and quite enjoyable with a good quality source (that excludes SXM/HD/FM/AM).

Overall, I think the RDX is a better looking vehicle. I find the driving experience to be similar. Both handle and accelerate well. The CX-5 is a bit quieter. Reliability aside, if I were going for "class", I'd choose the RDX. If I were going for "value", I'd choose the CX-5. When it comes to reliability, I'd have to choose the CX-5.
Some people like that sound. Most prefer more than just midrange.

Quick Reply: 3G RDX vs Mazda CX-5 Turbo