3G RDX vs Mazda CX-5 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Master47

Part of where the Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura brands are trying to differentiate is in customer experience at the dealership as well. I own a Mercedes and the 2019 RDX. Either dealer will pick up my car, take it in for service, wash it and bring it back to me. As another option, a loaner car is available no matter the service. The Lexus dealer in my area will pick your car up at the airport while you are on a trip, (no service required). They keep your car at their dealership, wash it and return it to the airport before you arrive, charging you for one day of airport parking only. These things come at an extra cost of the vehicle and service. But back to the perception, what is exclusive about paying less , the whole reason luxury brands exist in my opinion, perceived value combined with status.
That's dealerships in your area. My MB never did that unless I especially ask for it. Even then, it would depend on the wait time of my service. I don't go into dealership enough times to consider that as part of the "luxury" experience, rather, I consider not dealing with the dealership a luxury.

Last edited by acuraada; 12-29-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
That's dealerships in your area. My MB never did that unless I especially ask for it. Even then, it would depend on the wait time of my service. I don't go into dealership enough times to consider that as part of the "luxury" experience, rather, I consider not dealing with the dealership a luxury.
Agree with you there on less dealing with the dealership is a luxury, but it’s undoubtedly an area they try to differentiate in customer experience over non-luxury brands, if for nothing else to uphold that badge perception and to justify higher prices. Dealers are mostly independently owned, so your mileage may vary in this regard.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Every car company offers luxury! What’s luxury to you???
I believe we should focus on badge more than luxury. Everyone thinks MB is luxury but did you ever sit in a CLA or 3 series base?

Mazda can offer a lot of great options for reasonable price but it will remain Mazda. That’s all!
If people question Infiniti and Acura’s positioning as luxury brands, then for sure Mazda has no chance.
The CLA is the biggest POS car ever. My friend had one for a few weeks and after the third time riding in it I told him I'd be driving from now on. My bag hurt so much in those tiny shitty seats!

Thanks for the photos! I too think internally the CX-5 is just a bit smaller although the exterior looks more than just a tad. The stroller comparison also help confirm my suspicion that Acura raised the floor so there are enough undercarriage storage bins. In terms of space, the biggest disadvantage is the center seating where CX-5 is still raised in the middle flooring. However, CX-5 does have a reclining backseat and 40/20/40 split seats! The only other "luxury" item it misses it's the pano sunroof...
I can't believe the RDX doesn't have reclining seats. They are power reclining in the NX for gods sake. Huge mistake not putting that in IMO.

Lol this is exactly how I look at it. Every forum I've ever been on you have a few threads about dealership experience. I personally could not care less about muffins and coffee and cake...etc. I value honesty, good service, and respect. They could have plastic lawn chairs for all I care.

I was merely comparing the luxury interior of XC60 since it was bought up. I mentioned before that CX-5's interior feels like the X3, definitely not luxury segment leader.
I agree that it won't embarrass itself pulling up next to NX, XT, or even a X3. I think most of us here researching and hunting RDX because it's a "value" luxury. Most of us would agree that RDX gives the German's a run for their money. I would argue that CX-5 gives the RDX a run for it's money.

We are in agreement here. In my earlier threads, I wholeheartedly endorse CX-5 as a car when cross-shopping RDX. The left brain "value" hunting that led us to RDX should also lead us to 2019 CX-5. To simply dismiss based on a "Mazda" brand would be acting the same as BMW/Audi folks dismissing Acura as a cross-shop.
I think what people are trying to say is that very few people look at Mazdas and Acuras or Mazdas and Audis...etc at the same time. It isn't that the CX-5 is a bad car, it's BY FAR the best car in its class. I can wholeheartedly say that. Just that people looking at premium cars tend to not consider mainstream brands.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I guess it’s all about where our own personal snob level and definition of luxury starts and stops. The BMW forums have traditionally been full of posts debating their X3 vs. the Mercedes, F-Pace etc. and hardly a mention of the RDX. Ours is almost always about the merits of the RDX compared to the BMW Lexus etc. I think this is the first thread where the Mazda is considered as a worthy option but it’s hard to accept it into the “club”.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cheffip
I guess it’s all about where our own personal snob level and definition of luxury starts and stops. The BMW forums have traditionally been full of posts debating their X3 vs. the Mercedes, F-Pace etc. and hardly a mention of the RDX. Ours is almost always about the merits of the RDX compared to the BMW Lexus etc. I think this is the first thread where the Mazda is considered as a worthy option but it’s hard to accept it into the “club”.
Lol pretty much. Nobody here is wrong, luxury is such a personal thing. Also as someone mentioned above, we're lucky that this is something we get to talk about with so many bigger problems in the world haha.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:43 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Thanks for the photos! I too think internally the CX-5 is just a bit smaller although the exterior looks more than just a tad. The stroller comparison also help confirm my suspicion that Acura raised the floor so there are enough undercarriage storage bins. In terms of space, the biggest disadvantage is the center seating where CX-5 is still raised in the middle flooring. However, CX-5 does have a reclining backseat and 40/20/40 split seats! The only other "luxury" item it misses it's the pano sunroof...
Oh man, we're thinking the same thing - the lack of a hump in the back for the RDX (and CR-V) which every other competitor has is a really nice advantage for anyone looking to carry 3 in the back. The reclining backseat is neat but I didn't find it that useful. The pano sunroof on the RDX really brightens the car up - it's a shame Mazda couldn't make that upgrade but I suspect the cost (and more likely the resources) to re-engineer the roof to support it was too costly for this generation. Re: Understorage - I believe Acura was sorta forced into that because they added a couple big support beams into the floor to make the car more rigid so they couldn't make the floor of the trunk any lower. I really love the under storage though - would be great for jumper cables, diaper bags etc.

The next 2 years will be really interesting in this space - Mazda has said they are working on a new 2 row SUV that's between the CX-5 and CX-9 which will be built in North America. That car will almost exactly mirror the RDX's size and performance and likely starts with a premium trim.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Minor additional details I discovered: CX-5 is missing heated/memory mirrors. But it does have Android Auto over the RDX.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam_68
Minor additional details I discovered: CX-5 is missing heated/memory mirrors. But it does have Android Auto over the RDX.
IMO that's advantage RDX.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:36 PM
Pro

That might be specific to US models? In Canada heated mirrors are standard for all trims.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Our CX-5 Signature has heated mirrors.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
Our CX-5 Signature has heated mirrors.
lets see some pics of that sharp car!! esp the interior
Old 12-30-2018, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by supafamous
That might be specific to US models? In Canada heated mirrors are standard for all trims.
Just looking at the Canadian spec sheet. Definitely heated mirrors in all trims like you said but 2-position memory seems to be only for the seats and only in the GT and up.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX10
Lol pretty much. Nobody here is wrong, luxury is such a personal thing. Also as someone mentioned above, we're lucky that this is something we get to talk about with so many bigger problems in the world haha.
You're so right! Very first-world discussion here. Or maybe in Ancient Greece they debated "What is luxury?" LOL.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
It is a bit ironic that Acura posters would have a bit of “snobbery” looking at Mazda as a below tier offering. Many if not the majority of people outside this forum look down upon Acura (many even with disdain). I’m not one of them but I can understand why. Most people do not consider Acura a luxury brand just a Honda with a beak. Just like many people consider Miatas to be a “hairdresser” car; neither stereotype being true.

I would just heed Acura owners from getting snooty as their is not much heritage or basis to stand upon given the lack of recent success outside of MDX/RDX.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:07 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmsanger
It is a bit ironic that Acura posters would have a bit of “snobbery” looking at Mazda as a below tier offering. Many if not the majority of people outside this forum look down upon Acura (many even with disdain). I’m not one of them but I can understand why. Most people do not consider Acura a luxury brand just a Honda with a beak. Just like many people consider Miatas to be a “hairdresser” car; neither stereotype being true.

I would just heed Acura owners from getting snooty as their is not much heritage or basis to stand upon given the lack of recent success outside of MDX/RDX.
I disagree with you. I have a Mazda and I think it’s a great car.
But mazda is not luxury.
Now when people say Acura is not luxury, they have a problem. Acura offers everything that a mainstream brand offers. As someone mentioned, the owners of a Mercedes S class will say: 3 series BMW isn’t luxury lol!

i am very happy the way Mazda is handling their lineup, they are making great cars but they need to separate their luxury and non luxury. Just like Hyundai did.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rmsanger

Acura definitely is not a luxury brand. Just a premium brand and if you were to look at other sub-forums on this forum you would see that many people don't even consider them premium and call them Honda + and for thr most part I agreed up until this RDX came out. This third generation RDX is the first competitive Acura within its class in a LONG time in terms of features and build quality...etc IMO.

With that being said, it doesn't matter how nice Mazdas have become Mazda is still a mainstream brand. That is a fact, no bias being added here. Thus it is a lower tier than Acura which is technically not a mainstream brand. Like I mentioned above, unfortunately a major part of car perception is the badge. It's why people drive base CLA's vs MUCH MUCH nicer fully loaded Mazda 6's for example.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
acuraada (12-31-2018), Tony Pac (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by supafamous
Oh man, we're thinking the same thing - the lack of a hump in the back for the RDX (and CR-V) which every other competitor has is a really nice advantage for anyone looking to carry 3 in the back. The reclining backseat is neat but I didn't find it that useful. The pano sunroof on the RDX really brightens the car up - it's a shame Mazda couldn't make that upgrade but I suspect the cost (and more likely the resources) to re-engineer the roof to support it was too costly for this generation. Re: Understorage - I believe Acura was sorta forced into that because they added a couple big support beams into the floor to make the car more rigid so they couldn't make the floor of the trunk any lower. I really love the under storage though - would be great for jumper cables, diaper bags etc.

The next 2 years will be really interesting in this space - Mazda has said they are working on a new 2 row SUV that's between the CX-5 and CX-9 which will be built in North America. That car will almost exactly mirror the RDX's size and performance and likely starts with a premium trim.
Yes, so Mazda has teamed with Toyota to build a plant in the US. The CX-5 does need a little growing up so I wouldn't be surprised a CX-7 or CX-5 LS coming off in the US plant.

However, CX-5 sold in the US are mostly made in Japan. That does speak quality of assembly line. I hate to say it but I think the 2019 RDX has too many initial issues, buying one now is like playing Russian roulette, unless you are leasing. Hopefully the new year will bring more maturity to the finish product.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:35 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
I hate to say it but I think the 2019 RDX has too many initial issues, buying one now is like playing Russian roulette, unless you are leasing. Hopefully the new year will bring more maturity to the finish product.
Russian roulette? That seems a little overstated to me. I'm not much of a gambler, and I bought (not leased) a new RDX. I understand a new model may have an issue or two, but I'm not overly concerned.
securityguy (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 09:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DWG
Russian roulette? That seems a little overstated to me. I'm not much of a gambler, and I bought (not leased) a new RDX. I understand a new model may have an issue or two, but I'm not overly concerned.
Besides all the issues reported here? Well it's almost a rule of thumb when a redesign is introduced, especially a total inside out redesign like this one. This is not a knock on Acura, this is almost always the case. True to even the most reliable brand

Old 01-01-2019, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I've got to disagree that a major re-design automatically brings problems. I bought a new 3rd generation Toyota 4-Runner in 1996, which was the first year for that design. I still have it and it has never been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance. And, everything works and it looks like new.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mgrody
I've got to disagree that a major re-design automatically brings problems. I bought a new 3rd generation Toyota 4-Runner in 1996, which was the first year for that design. I still have it and it has never been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance. And, everything works and it looks like new.
I have a feeling that the technology, drivetrain...etc in the 2019 RDX is just a little different than your 1996 4runner.....
Old 01-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I have a feeling that the technology, drivetrain...etc in the 2019 RDX is just a little different than your 1996 4runner.....
It certainly doesn't have all the gee-whiz electronics. But, it seems to have about the same number of moving parts.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mgrody
It certainly doesn't have all the gee-whiz electronics. But, it seems to have about the same number of moving parts.
A majority of the issues people are having are with the electronics and it certainly does have more moving parts than your 4runner. For starters it has more than double the gears, it has a turbo charger, it has torque vectoring AWD vs a simple 4×4 system. It's WAY more complex, cars have gotten really darn overcomplicated these days.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Mazda was going to roll out a premium brand in the 90's. Amati Cars. And they backtracked and marketed the first car that was going to be an Amati in the US as a Mazda: Mazda Millenia.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Mazda was going to roll out a premium brand in the 90's. Amati Cars. And they backtracked and marketed the first car that was going to be an Amati in the US as a Mazda: Mazda Millenia.
Ha, this post certainly jogged some memory! The Miller cycle engine!! So far by talking to past/recent owners of Mazdas (in RL) they seem to vouch for its reliability. Although few have moved on to more luxurious cars since, they did not hesitate to recommend the brand.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Great post and responses, finding myself in a similar comparison between RDX and CX-5 to replace the wife's 08 CRV she's not a "car person" by any means she just needs to have Apple Car Play and white exterior lol. I'm leaning towards the RDX but I like the value of the CX-5 she probably won't care either way. Will go test drive both when we are ready.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by cherplex
...she probably won't care either way...
If that's the case, and she's doing the driving, just let $$$$ talk - decision is easy then.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cherplex
Great post and responses, finding myself in a similar comparison between RDX and CX-5 to replace the wife's 08 CRV she's not a "car person" by any means she just needs to have Apple Car Play and white exterior lol. I'm leaning towards the RDX but I like the value of the CX-5 she probably won't care either way. Will go test drive both when we are ready.
The CX-5’s “Snowflake” white is nice and goes well with the nappa leather interior if you can spring for the Signature model.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:09 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
My wife is the same way towards car..could car eless about the "name" drives well..comfortable, she is happy....less $$$$ the better as she prefers to save $$$.....Im the spender,lol
Old 01-05-2019, 12:49 PM
Pro

So wife and I have settled on getting a RDX A-Spec over the CX-5 Signature after extended drives of both. The CX-5 was great (for the money it's actually f****** awesome) but a few things that tipped it for us:

- The extra slice of space (particularly in the back seat) in the RDX mattered. The RDX is a couple inches wider in the back meaning it would be easy to cart my in-laws plus our baby around in the back and the extra legroom is valuable. The slightly longer trunk was deemed an advantage (about the same volume though). The RDX is a true 5 seater while the CX-5 is really a 4+1 seater (for those of us of more modest stature)
- The panoramic sunroof was awesome, totally killer feature.
- In Canada you can't get parking sensors on the CX-5 and while my wife thought the RDX was too big she felt she could navigate tight spots better with parking sensors on hand. My wife felt MUCH more comfortable steering the CX-5 around urban settings as the sight lines on the RDX just aren't as good.
- I liked the way the RDX hustled more than the CX-5. Both are lovely to drive and while the mountain of torque the CX-5 had down low was really nice in city driving I like my drivetrains to be really rev happy and the RDX's motor was simply more fun as was the effects of SH-AWD coming off the corners.
- The front seats in the RDX were a lot more comfortable for me. I'm a small guy (5'6") but I have "rugby" thighs and the narrower CX-5 seats squished me a bit too much and, oddly enough, gave me and my brother slight wedgies. I could never get the CX-5's seats adjusted in a way that didn't tug at my pants in the wrong way.

We don't plan on placing an order for several months (our baby doesn't arrive till Spring) but I'm looking forward to owning my 2nd Acura.

Thanks for the all the great discussion in this thread - really enjoyed how civil and thoughtful it's been here (it's been much nicer than talking in the CX-5 forum).
Old 01-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
If it would make you feel more welcome, we could hurl some internet invective at you if you want.
supafamous (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Your points are spot on. That's exactly how I feel. If it wasn't for the fear of redesign model reliability, I would probably have gone with RDX for the rear seats and pano. Although there is a lot to say about 40/20/40 split seats.

Like you, I can wait few more months and hopefully by the time we are ready, assembly would be a bit more mature.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
internet invective
Stop making me google stuff.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
If it would make you feel more welcome, we could hurl some internet invective at you if you want.
I do feel that this forum and Acura owners are far more engaging than Mazda's
There is definitely a more community feel amongst Acura owners!

Old 01-09-2019, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I do feel that this forum and Acura owners are far more engaging than Mazda's
There is definitely a more community feel amongst Acura owners!
LOL...there are some of the folks on that Mazda 247 forum that are just downright drinking that Mazda Kool-aid!

I just saw a thread were they were bashing Motor Trend because it picked the CR-V over the CX5....hahaha.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by knhellesky
LOL...there are some of the folks on that Mazda 247 forum that are just downright drinking that Mazda Kool-aid!

I just saw a thread were they were bashing Motor Trend because it picked the CR-V over the CX5....hahaha.
Believe me, we have some wack jobs like that on here too
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Subaru sells the most Koolaids
Old 01-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Subaru sells the most Koolaids
i have had 4 Subaru’s and still own 2. A 2017 Impreza Limited and a 2019 Forester Sport. They are awesome vehicles and I’m not drinking the koolaid...just stating from real experience😉
Old 01-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy

i have had 4 Subaru’s and still own 2. A 2017 Impreza Limited and a 2019 Forester Sport. They are awesome vehicles and I’m not drinking the koolaid...just stating from real experience��
I've had several Subarus as well - Legacy, Forester(s), and now frequently driving a relative's Crosstrek. They are not very luxurious or comfortable, but the one thing they all have that Acura/Honda simply cannot touch, is ride and handling. FWD based SH-AWD is still not up to par to Subaru's flat-four + symmetrical AWD layout. And Subaru suspensions just handle the roads with much more robustness and compliance than Honda. I still think my RDX is better overall, but some aspects are not.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by securityguy

i have had 4 Subaru’s and still own 2. A 2017 Impreza Limited and a 2019 Forester Sport. They are awesome vehicles and I’m not drinking the koolaid...just stating from real experience��
no doubt they are great vehicles, I agree but no vehicles are without flaws.
koolaids to me means you can't be objective, brand can do no wrong, refuse to be open minded and crucify anyone dares to say anything bad about it.

Quick Reply: 3G RDX vs Mazda CX-5 Turbo