3G RDX vs Mazda CX-5 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks everyone for your comments.
I unexpectedly did a test drive of the Signature Turbo CX-5 and spent a good length of time in the GT-R (GT AWD here in Canada).
It's a great value. Some things give a less luxurious feel than the RDX for sure, and with the size differences it's almost apples and oranges.
OTOH, I had recently checked out the BMW X-1 and I would undoubtedly go with the CX-5 and save the dollars over that.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:01 PM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...by-the-numbers

Performance/acceleration numbers are better than the RDX in every category except skidpad. Fuel economy as well.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ot-performance
Old 12-27-2018, 08:32 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
So today I took a RDX A-Spec out for 3 hours and I'm in the middle of an overnight test drive of a CX-5 Signature - the price difference after taxes is about $10-11K (~$49k vs $~59K) depending on colour choice with Mazda financing being a lot better at 1.65% vs 3.9% for 5 years. A few thoughts that I'll add to after I get more time in the CX-5 tomorrow:
  • The RDX generally feels like it's 10-20% better in most things (but it's 20% more expensive). It's a bit roomier, a bit nicer on the inside, handles a bit better etc. There is clearly a luxury brand chassis underneath the RDX funded by a big old megacorp (Honda) while the Mazda is a mainline product stepping up to the bigger leagues.
  • I'm pretty surprised that the RDX is slower than the CX-5 according to C/D (I respect their testing) as it doesn't feel that way. The RDX motor is classic Honda K-series, revs hard, sounds good. The CX-5's motor is like a diesel and less laggy. Power to weight ratios and gearing say that the RDX should be a lot faster than it tests - maybe the 20" wheels are just massive anchors?
  • The RDX responds better to a heavy hand, when I whip it it feels like a sports sedan (it sure handles and steers a lot better than my 2007 TSX). The CX-5 feels more like an Audi (more reserved).
  • Ride quality is pretty close but the RDX's dampers are more refined, you can feel the money in the tuning. There's a touch more bounciness in the CX-5.
  • The nearly flat rear floor makes the RDX a legit 5 passenger car while the CX-5 is a squeeze for it.
  • With an infant seat in the middle the RDX could comfortably hold both my in-laws in the back for a road trip while the CX-5 is best reserved for short trips in the same scenario.
  • While the CX-5's infotainment is older I found it easier to use than the RDX's. It sure takes a while for the RDX's to boot up though.
  • Sight lines out of the CX-5 are a lot better, I can easily tell where the nose ends whereas I had a hard time figuring out where the RDX ends. Good thing though b/c in Canada I can't get parking sensors or the 360 camera on the CX-5 (WTF Mazda Canada? Seriously WTF?!)
  • Both are about equally quiet and I bet tire choices will make all the difference. Both companies equip their cars with shitty tires though (also a WTF for me, seriously, an Eagle RS-A?!?)
So far it's really tough call between the two cars - if the extra $10K is NBD for you then I'd say the RDX is worth it but $10K is meaningful money for me so it's a tough call. The RDX had me going wow a few times while the CX-5 didn't but nowhere did the CX-5 fail to be a very, very good car. Compared to the XC60, X3 and Q5 which go for about $70K all in the CX-5 is a steal of a deal (as is the RDX). Mazda's going to steal a few thousand sales from each of the Euro brands and that's money they need to fund development of the next CX-5.

I'm really looking forward to the comparison test of the luxury compact SUVs with a guest invite of the CX-5 to it. I bet it'll beat a good half of the class (Definitely better than the XT4/XT5, QX50, NX300)

Last edited by supafamous; 12-27-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Nobody can say how much the cost difference is worth except you.

But as with most things, there is no linear relationship when it comes to the price of goods. A $70,000 car will almost never be twice as “good” as a $35,000 car. Better, yes. Twice as better, no.

Also, where you are in life makes a big difference. When I was raising a family, paying for a house, child rearing, saving for college, saving for retirement, and so on, my choices were different than they are now that we are empty nesters and are retired.

What is not worth it to me, is worth it to another guy, and both choices are valid. To me, $5K for the Advance over the Tech was not worth it. But $5K to get out of the NY winter and spend February in Florida is worth it.

I can only suggest that you not buy more car than you can comfortably afford; there will always be a next car.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I personally have a hard time justifying ~50k cdn for the CX-9 let alone for the CX-5 based simply on the premise of it being a Mazda. I'd rather spend 50k and get a lower optioned Q5 or GLC, RDX...etc. I do think it is very very nice compared to the class but I still can't mentally justify it.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:33 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
I'm really looking forward to the comparison test of the luxury compact SUVs with a guest invite of the CX-5 to it. I bet it'll beat a good half of the class (Definitely better than the XT4/XT5, QX50, NX300)
Here's a recently published video from
Old 12-27-2018, 10:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX10
I personally have a hard time justifying ~50k cdn for the CX-9 let alone for the CX-5 based simply on the premise of it being a Mazda. I'd rather spend 50k and get a lower optioned Q5 or GLC, RDX...etc. I do think it is very very nice compared to the class but I still can't mentally justify it.
I still have trouble getting my head around a loaded Civic being $33K CAD but that's the going rate. A loaded CX-5 Signature is only $1-4K more money than the slower but loaded cars in its class like the Forester ($44K all-in), CR-V ($46K), and RAV4 ($48K w/ no leather). Even a loaded Ford Escape is $46K (closest car in terms of speed). In reality both the RDX and CX-5 are bargains in their respective classes.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:45 PM
Suzuka Master

I still have trouble getting my head around a loaded Civic being $33K CAD but that's the going rate. A loaded CX-5 Signature is only $1-4K more money than the slower but loaded cars in its class like the Forester ($44K all-in), CR-V ($46K), and RAV4 ($48K w/ no leather). Even a loaded Ford Escape is $46K (closest car in terms of speed). In reality both the RDX and CX-5 are bargains in their respective classes.
No you're absolutely right. The cost of cars in Canada is atrocious. A relative bargain was the Tucson. 40k and it came with every option and a sick 1.6T with 7 speed dual clutch. Now it no longer offers the 1.6T or 7DCT. 55k for a loaded edge last time I checked. Crazy.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:11 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
I will sound biased here but I can’t justify comparing CX-5 to RDX, Q5, X3 and etc.

I have a 2016 Mazda and it’s a great car. Love it for my daily driving but I can’t accept the fact that it’s a luxury car.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:39 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I will sound biased here but I can’t justify comparing CX-5 to RDX, Q5, X3 and etc.

I have a 2016 Mazda and it’s a great car. Love it for my daily driving but I can’t accept the fact that it’s a luxury car.

funny thing is...if Mazda came out with a "luxury" line and simply renamed the new and updated fully loaded CX5..people would be more than happy and spend more $$$$$$ on it,lol
Old 12-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Advanced

Wink

Yeah...I don't think a lot of folks can really classify it as a "luxury" brand per se.

Originally Posted by flames9
funny thing is...if Mazda came out with a "luxury" line and simply renamed the new and updated fully loaded CX5..people would be more than happy and spend more $$$$$$ on it,lol
Funny thing is....that's what they said with the older RDXs being luxury CR-Vs
Old 12-28-2018, 08:11 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
I owned a 2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring (top trim), which I really loved. It felt and looked upscale, had 3 rows, super roomy, quite comfy, plenty powerful, and drove like a much smaller car. It was also one of the more aesthetically attractive cars on the road compared to a lot of the crazy looking or utterly bland looking SUVs at the time. Crystal White Pearl Mica with Sand interior.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Mazda to anyone who wants an awesome car (e.g. the new CX-5 Turbo), but not quite ready to spend "luxury segment" money.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:13 AM
AZ Community Team

not true for me at least. If Mazda comes up with a luxury line like Hyundai. I won’t question their ability.
But i can’t justify the current cx5 as luxury. There are certain elements that won’t pass as luxury.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (09-23-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by knhellesky
Yeah...I don't think a lot of folks can really classify it as a "luxury" brand per se.

Funny thing is....that's what they said with the older RDXs being luxury CR-Vs
Hop over to BMW or Audi forum now and they will say the same about Acura's.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by birdonamission

I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Mazda to anyone who wants an awesome car (e.g. the new CX-5 Turbo), but not quite ready to spend "luxury segment" money.
​​​​​​
but it's not luxury segment money is it? Here in the states, we can spend 38k (turbo signature cost) on a CRV or RAV4

It's 10k less than RDX, a car we know all too well here that is already a "value" luxury brand.

​​​​​​I don't think Mazda wants to compete with X3, Q5, or even the RDX. It's looking to compete with CRV and RAV4 ( or Hyundai)
Old 12-28-2018, 02:36 PM
Instructor

One thing that impressed me in the test drive yesterday was the technology (except the camera resolution). Folding mirrors, ventilated seats etc. Nice bright HUD even with polarized sunglasses. I especially liked the sign recognition feature which showed the posted speed then how much over the limit I was going LOL.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:41 PM
Racer

I asked on a Volvo forum.....Do you consider Volvo a Luxury brand? Some said yes, some said no.....Everyone has their own version of what is Luxury........Yes some would see paying $40000 usd for a fully loaded 2019 CX5 crazy as its just a mazda....others see it as having a lot to offer, but thousands less than a comparable RDX and a lot cheaper than a Comparable XC60. What I do find interesting.....lot of posters have had mazdas,,,,,,and were totally happy with them......Maybe they just need to work more on their image
Old 12-28-2018, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

This. Once you've gotten used to a certain level of vehicle it becomes very difficult to "step down" without noticing it. This isn't to say that most mainstream vehicles aren't really nice places to be in nowadays (especially in top trims). Just that almost nobody is looking at Mazdas and Audis at the same time. I'll elaborate on this in my reply to flames9.

Yes and no. Look at Genesis. You still have people complaining of their Hyundai heritage. It was the same with lexus and Infiniti back in the 80's and 90's. It's taken lexus a VERY long time to be considered proper luxury and arguably infiniti is still not considered there and to some people Lexus isn't either.

I'd wager that a majority of the reason people buy luxury branded cars is because of that badge on the front. That's why so many posers would rather drive a barebones stripper 3-series or CLA with halogen reflectors vs a top level Mazda 6, Accord, Camry...etc. That badge is worth way more than the car itself to some people. Hell I used to be those people to a degree.

I asked on a Volvo forum.....Do you consider Volvo a Luxury brand? Some said yes, some said no.....Everyone has their own version of what is Luxury........Yes some would see paying $40000 usd for a fully loaded 2019 CX5 crazy as its just a mazda....others see it as having a lot to offer, but thousands less than a comparable RDX and a lot cheaper than a Comparable XC60. What I do find interesting.....lot of posters have had mazdas,,,,,,and were totally happy with them......Maybe they just need to work more on their image
Absolutely agree. Everyone has their own definition of luxury. Some can even debate the meaning of luxury. For example, is a BMW X5 or Mercedes GLE considered luxury? Most people would say yes. But is rolls royce luxury? 99.9% of people would say yes without a doubt. Now how can a 300k car and a roughly 75k car both be luxury?

So all I'm getting at is that it's all relative to what you're accustomed to and to what you personally feel. Fwiw I do personally consider Volvo to be a luxury brand, that $120k XC90 excellence is no joke lol.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:26 PM
Racer

I was thinking that today on a drive when I passed a MB CLA...why would you buy a low end MB when u can have a fully loaded Honda/Acura//Toyota etc that prob has all the bells & whistles and less to fix? You are correct..people like badges...I guess u can say I am 1 of them,lol I wanted the RDX Advance model as it had everything I wanted....BUT that A-Spec has a nice flashy "A-spec" badge,lol And thats why We have Acuras...Lexus....Infinits...as Honda/Toyota/Nissan know people will pay more for a prestigious name I guess were all fortunate we can be on these forums and have a nice discussion about "luxury"
Old 12-28-2018, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Volvo? They worked hard to emphasize "not your father's Volvo"

Gone are the days of boxy ugly safe car image.

Volvo is not German btw. In fact, it's not even Swedish anymore, own by Chinese.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuraada
Volvo? They worked hard to emphasize "not your father's Volvo"

Gone are the days of boxy ugly safe car image.

Volvo is not German btw. In fact, it's not even Swedish anymore, own by Chinese.
Dont recall anyone saying they were German......I was actually surprised my XC60 arriving next week was built in Sweden, as most are being built in China for the USA market. I still have time to go test drive the CX5,lol
Old 12-28-2018, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Dont recall anyone saying they were German......I was actually surprised my XC60 arriving next week was built in Sweden, as most are being built in China for the USA market. I still have time to go test drive the CX5,lol
​​​​​​That was quick. They only recently announced moving xc60 back to Sweden due to tarrif. Good to see they are back tho. I work with Swedes and they are just as good as following SOP as the German except with nicer personality

​​
Old 12-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Racer

​​​​​​That was quick. They only recently announced moving xc60 back to Sweden due to tarrif. Good to see they are back tho. I work with Swedes and they are just as good as following SOP as the German except with nicer personality

​​
No they are still making them in China.....but some do come from Sweden to the USA market. I was sort of hoping mine was coming from China as some reports I read online (could be fake news,lol) stated the ones built in China were actually better built as there were more people on the manufacturing line...thus could spot issues quicker and remedy them. 1 bonus for me..the ones from Sweden come into Baltimore ( 30 min from me).....Chinese ones arrive in San Francisco......But we should prob stick to the subject..... I am still tempted to go and test drive a 2019 cx 5 Signtaure model, actually though tof doing it today but the near by Mazda does not have 1 in stock. And dont want to waste a salesman time on a weekend to look at 1.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX10
Yes and no. Look at Genesis. You still have

I'd wager that a majority of the reason people buy luxury branded cars is because of that badge on the front. That's why so many posers would rather drive a barebones stripper 3-series or CLA with halogen reflectors vs a top level Mazda 6, Accord, Camry...etc. That badge is worth way more than the car itself to some people. Hell I used to be those people to a degree.

Absolutely agree. Everyone has their own definition of luxury. Some can even debate the meaning of luxury. For example, is a BMW X5 or Mercedes GLE considered luxury? Most people would say yes. But is rolls royce luxury? 99.9% of people would say yes without a doubt. Now how can a 300k car and a roughly 75k car both be luxury?

So all I'm getting at is that it's all relative to what you're accustomed to
Well said and totally agree. There are certain preceptions associated brands that people gravate towards That is the whole premise of maketing.

thats fine but some takes that preceptions to skewed facts and reality to others. Ultimate driving machine on a X1?
​​​​​​
Old 12-28-2018, 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

No they are still making them in China.....but some do come from Sweden to the USA market. I was sort of hoping mine was coming from China as some reports I read online (could be fake news,lol) stated the ones built in China were actually better built as there were more people on the manufacturing line...thus could spot issues quicker and remedy them. 1 bonus for me..the ones from Sweden come into Baltimore ( 30 min from me).....Chinese ones arrive in San Francisco......But we should prob stick to the subject..... I am still tempted to go and test drive a 2019 cx 5 Signtaure model, actually though tof doing it today but the near by Mazda does not have 1 in stock. And dont want to waste a salesman time on a weekend to look at 1.
CX-5 signature can't compete with Volvo interior luxury which bests Acura's imho.
CX-5 material is nice but the design is sort of dated. It works but not flashy like the RDX nor as Zen as the XC60

Since you already got a Volvo so I guess I won't inject my opinions on how it drives, I will leave that to your own judgements.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Racer

CX-5 signature can't compete with Volvo interior luxury which bests Acura's imho.
CX-5 material is nice but the design is sort of dated. It works but not flashy like the RDX nor as Zen as the XC60

Since you already got a Volvo so I guess I won't inject my opinions on how it drives, I will leave that to your own judgements.
No it arrives next week.,.....Everyone has their own feelings how a car handles....and thats all that matters,lol
Old 12-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Pro

Is the bar that a CX-5 Signature can't compete in the luxury class if it can't match the segment leader in a specific category? Cause the CX-5's interior clobbers the likes of the XT4, the E-Pace, the NX, and X1 (these are all priced at or above the CX-5). It's not a match for a Volvo XC60, Audi Q5 or Mercedes GLC but it not going to embarrass itself if it shows up next to a QX50, RDX, or X3.

I returned the CX-5 to the dealer a few hours ago after my overnight with it (which was right after a 3 hour drive of the RDX) and the more I drove it the more I was impressed by it - I was certain I was going to get the RDX at first but there's tonne to like about the CX-5 as a premium product. It may not beat the all the compacts that the luxury brands are rolling but it sure as hell gives a beat down to the subcompacts that they are rolling out (XT4, E-Pace, X1, GLA, NX, QX30 etc). See: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...e-specs-page-7

IMO, in the subcompact and compact premium/luxury SUV segment the CX-5 Signature deserves to be part of the conversation regardless of price. It's competitive just on it's own merits - it has its flaws but there's no way that they are worse than stuff that Jaguar, Cadillac, Buick, Lexus (UX and NX), and Infiniti are putting out. A GLC, X3 and Q5 are mostly heads and shoulders better than a CX-5 but what else clearly is? I think the RDX is better but that wasn't Car and Driver's opinion and my wife wasn't sure it was better either.

In the end, I'm just glad I get to choose from two terrific SUVs that are reasonably priced, are attractive inside and out, will be really reliable, and will keep me comfortable for many years.
flames9 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 10:13 PM
Advanced

Is the bar that a CX-5 Signature can't compete in the luxury class if it can't match the segment leader in a specific category? Cause the CX-5's interior clobbers the likes of the XT4, the E-Pace, the NX, and X1 (these are all priced at or above the CX-5). It's not a match for a Volvo XC60, Audi Q5 or Mercedes GLC but it not going to embarrass itself if it shows up next to a QX50, RDX, or X3.

I returned the CX-5 to the dealer a few hours ago after my overnight with it (which was right after a 3 hour drive of the RDX) and the more I drove it the more I was impressed by it - I was certain I was going to get the RDX at first but there's tonne to like about the CX-5 as a premium product. It may not beat the all the compacts that the luxury brands are rolling but it sure as hell gives a beat down to the subcompacts that they are rolling out (XT4, E-Pace, X1, GLA, NX, QX30 etc). See: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...e-specs-page-7

IMO, in the subcompact and compact premium/luxury SUV segment the CX-5 Signature deserves to be part of the conversation regardless of price. It's competitive just on it's own merits - it has its flaws but there's no way that they are worse than stuff that Jaguar, Cadillac, Buick, Lexus (UX and NX), and Infiniti are putting out. A GLC, X3 and Q5 are mostly heads and shoulders better than a CX-5 but what else clearly is? I think the RDX is better but that wasn't Car and Driver's opinion and my wife wasn't sure it was better either.

In the end, I'm just glad I get to choose from two terrific SUVs that are reasonably priced, are attractive inside and out, will be really reliable, and will keep me comfortable for many years.
So..which trim did you end up getting for the CX-5?
Old 12-29-2018, 01:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Well said and totally agree. There are certain preceptions associated brands that people gravate towards That is the whole premise of maketing.

thats fine but some takes that preceptions to skewed facts and reality to others. Ultimate driving machine on a X1?
​​​​​​
That all has to do with the "halo car effect". Many manufacturers will make certain models or even certain trims so over the top as compared to what is expected for the brand or model that when buyers buy lesser trims or models they psychologically think it is better than it is.

Biggest example of this is the Kia K900. Very nice car but it costs way too damn much for a Kia. Very few sell but it's a running billboard of what the brand is capable of. Same reason why the S65 is 250k while the base model is 100k....massive jump and it makes the base models seem amazing too.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:44 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
The lines are very blurred on what is luxury and what is not, especially in the very crowded SUV/CUV market these days. The badge on the front certainly plays into perception for some people, which becomes reality. Looking closely, execution of the check mark features on paper differs, in my experience. I.e.- camera resolution, how “smart” the auto high beams are, infotainment execution, etc. are some nitpicks I have on our beloved Acura.

Part of where the Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura brands are trying to differentiate is in customer experience at the dealership as well. I own a Mercedes and the 2019 RDX. Either dealer will pick up my car, take it in for service, wash it and bring it back to me. As another option, a loaner car is available no matter the service. The Lexus dealer in my area will pick your car up at the airport while you are on a trip, (no service required). They keep your car at their dealership, wash it and return it to the airport before you arrive, charging you for one day of airport parking only. These things come at an extra cost of the vehicle and service. But back to the perception, what is exclusive about paying less , the whole reason luxury brands exist in my opinion, perceived value combined with status.
cheffip (01-12-2021)
Old 12-29-2018, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Master47
Part of where the Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura brands are trying to differentiate is in customer experience at the dealership as well. I own a Mercedes and the 2019 RDX. Either dealer will pick up my car, take it in for service, wash it and bring it back to me. As another option, a loaner car is available no matter the service. The Lexus dealer in my area will pick your car up at the airport while you are on a trip, (no service required). They keep your car at their dealership, wash it and return it to the airport before you arrive, charging you for one day of airport parking only. These things come at an extra cost of the vehicle and service. But back to the perception, what is exclusive about paying less , the whole reason luxury brands exist in my opinion, perceived value combined with status.
Well you’re dealerships certainly go beyond what mine are prepared to do. Enjoy! Meanwhile I’m comparing them on much smaller details. Friendliness of greeting, comfort of waiting room, wifi etc. I did notice the Mercedes dealership had its its own Mercedes-branded water bottles while the Mazda dealer had a water dispenser with paper cups LOL.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
The Lexus dealer in my area will pick your car up at the airport while you are on a trip, (no service required). They keep your car at their dealership, wash it and return it to the airport before you arrive, charging you for one day of airport parking only.
WOW...that's a bit hard to believe as there is absolutely nothing in it for the dealer to pick a car up at an airport and "store" it for you on their lot while you are away without having any services done to it. That scenario is certainly VERY extreme but if you say it happens than you have one amazing dealer with nothing better to do with their time.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by securityguy
WOW...that's a bit hard to believe as there is absolutely nothing in it for the dealer to pick a car up at an airport and "store" it for you on their lot while you are away without having any services done to it. That scenario is certainly VERY extreme but if you say it happens than you have one amazing dealer with nothing better to do with their time.
You made me curious to go dig further, I misspoke. They want to to have service done while they have it (could be a simple oil change, or tire rotation??), but the point is still the same, you may have had to spend $70-100 in parking while you were gone for a week. They are trying to add value over the non-luxury brands, and things buyers can point to as justification for premium prices they pay.

Last edited by Master47; 12-29-2018 at 11:44 AM.
securityguy (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Racer

Actually just noticed a CX-5 in my neighbor’s driveway with temp tag on it. It looks smaller than the RDX by a decent amount.

Last edited by Master47; 12-29-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Pro

Actually just noticed a CX-5 in my neighbor’s driveway with temp tag on it. It looks smaller than the RDX by a decent amount.
Externally the CX-5 is about 7 inches shorter and a couple inches narrower so about a half size smaller. Internally, the CX-5 is about a quarter size smaller than the RDX. Here's a few photos (https://imgur.com/gallery/mh6Ximx?) of the trunk with our stroller and the back seat's legroom with the seat set to how my wife would sit in the front (she's 5'3"). In the trunk the RDX has about 4 inches more depth and the legroom is about a couple inches more. Width wise the rear of the RDX was able to hold our infant seat plus my in-laws in pretty good comfort but the CX-5 was a bit squishy - I'd do a long road trip with the RDX but not the CX-5 if I had them in the back. Measured capacity for both cars is about the same - 30 cubic feet in the trunk and interior volume is 2 cubes bigger for the RDX but the RDX definitely lays it out in a more usable way (kudos for Honda packaging engineers).

The lines are very blurred on what is luxury and what is not, especially in the very crowded SUV/CUV market these days. The badge on the front certainly plays into perception for some people, which becomes reality. Looking closely, execution of the check mark features on paper differs, in my experience. I.e.- camera resolution, how “smart” the auto high beams are, infotainment execution, etc. are some nitpicks I have on our beloved Acura.

Impressive! I recall that Genesis started off similarly as well, they come to your house or office etc and leave you with another Genesis while they service your car. The service/dealer experience is something I probably give short shrift to when considering if a brand is a "luxury" brand - the Mercedes dealer I visited treated me really well when I arrived while the Acura dealer was ok though the showroom was lovely (the Mazda dealer I visited was pretty middle class).

Originally Posted by knhellesky
So..which trim did you end up getting for the CX-5?
Haven't decided on whether to get the RDX or CX-5 yet - wife and I are in no rush (we aren't expecting till next year) so are making a list of all the pro's and con's first and when the time comes we'll ring the right dealer up and place an order.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Well, I just picked up my CX-5 Signature this morning for my wife. I started out the search using the RDX Advance as the low end baseline against similarly equipped Q5's and X3's. I was all in on the RDX after doing the "value" math. That came crashing down after seeing the new CX-5 on paper. I test drove a Grand Touring Reserve CX-5 with the same 2.5l Turbo and was impressed. The Signature trim just pushed it over the top. If pricing for the RDX Advance was within a couple grand, it would be a really tough choice. I'm guessing the price difference is around $8k. I paid $36k and I believe it would have been difficult getting the RDX for under $44k.

This is a very informative forum. I wish you all the best and thank you for all the help!

Last edited by JustMe...; 12-29-2018 at 04:16 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JustMe...:
acuraada (12-29-2018), flames9 (12-29-2018), HotRodW (12-29-2018), supafamous (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 04:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Enjoy your CX5 and may their new technology and engine treat you well.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Every car company offers luxury! What’s luxury to you???
I believe we should focus on badge more than luxury. Everyone thinks MB is luxury but did you ever sit in a CLA or 3 series base?

Mazda can offer a lot of great options for reasonable price but it will remain Mazda. That’s all!
If people question Infiniti and Acura’s positioning as luxury brands, then for sure Mazda has no chance.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I was merely comparing the luxury interior of XC60 since it was bought up. I mentioned before that CX-5's interior feels like the X3, definitely not luxury segment leader.
I agree that it won't embarrass itself pulling up next to NX, XT, or even a X3. I think most of us here researching and hunting RDX because it's a "value" luxury. Most of us would agree that RDX gives the German's a run for their money. I would argue that CX-5 gives the RDX a run for it's money.

We are in agreement here. In my earlier threads, I wholeheartedly endorse CX-5 as a car when cross-shopping RDX. The left brain "value" hunting that led us to RDX should also lead us to 2019 CX-5. To simply dismiss based on a "Mazda" brand would be acting the same as BMW/Audi folks dismissing Acura as a cross-shop.

Last edited by acuraada; 12-29-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Externally the CX-5 is about 7 inches shorter and a couple inches narrower so about a half size smaller. Internally, the CX-5 is about a quarter size smaller than the RDX. Here's a few photos (https://imgur.com/gallery/mh6Ximx?) of the trunk with our stroller and the back seat's legroom with the seat set to how my wife would sit in the front (she's 5'3"). In the trunk the RDX has about 4 inches more depth and the legroom is about a couple inches more. Width wise the rear of the RDX was able to hold our infant seat plus my in-laws in pretty good comfort but the CX-5 was a bit squishy - I'd do a long road trip with the RDX but not the CX-5 if I had them in the back. Measured capacity for both cars is about the same - 30 cubic feet in the trunk and interior volume is 2 cubes bigger for the RDX but the RDX definitely lays it out in a more usable way (kudos for Honda packaging engineers).

Thanks for the photos! I too think internally the CX-5 is just a bit smaller although the exterior looks more than just a tad. The stroller comparison also help confirm my suspicion that Acura raised the floor so there are enough undercarriage storage bins. In terms of space, the biggest disadvantage is the center seating where CX-5 is still raised in the middle flooring. However, CX-5 does have a reclining backseat and 40/20/40 split seats! The only other "luxury" item it misses it's the pano sunroof...

Quick Reply: 3G RDX vs Mazda CX-5 Turbo