2019 In For Service

Old 08-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
2019 In For Service

So, after taking a trip to Chicago from Kansas City and back, I have taken my vehicle in for an extended service.. Thought I would pass on what I have requested them to do as this was my laundry list to my dealer:

Infotainment system failed in a number of ways:

1. Could not ever get the AcuraLink App to send directions when the car was off (known problem with others)
2. When the car was started, when trying to send directions via AcuraLink app, on the first attempt it would always say "Route Calculation Failed". On the second try, it would properly send the directions.
3. USB Audio stopped working during a stretch after stopping to get gas on two occasions while driving home
4. Entered "Wrigley Field" into navigation system and it led me to an area that was about 10 blocks from the actual location and navigation stopped. Google maps continued on and took me exactly to the right area.
5. Particularly troubling is the area about the navigation map would say "Towards (a City)", but would not give you any more details about what lane to be in and where you should be going. For example, I was driving towards Springfield, Illinois and the system about the map said "Towards Springfield" with an arrow on the little map pointing towards the left. In actuality, the upcoming exit was to the right and never listed the exit. If not for the route color on the map, I would have gone the wrong way if I had just been looking at the HUD. This is a major problem and needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Two days into the trip, Google Maps scored 100%, but the in-car navigation was so far off that I stopped using while in town unless I was comparing the two.

Climate Control Issues
The climate control system still does not feel like it gets cold enough. In my Hyundai, the air on the lowest setting will practically give you frostbite if you keep your hand by the vent too long. I always have to run my system on LO and AUTO mode and the cabin area around me never gets very comfortable to where I can turn it down. This may be just me, but I never have to run the air at full blast all of the time in our Hyundai.

Fit and Finish
Interior weatherstripping inside driver's door is very flimsy and has torn open

If they can ever address the climate control and infotainment issues, then I will be a happy Acura owner, but right now, those issues are very troubling. I am right at 5000 miles, so I would like to see if we can schedule an oil change, tire rotation and have these other issues addressed.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
... I am right at 5000 miles,...
You certainly put on a lot of miles in a hurry.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:32 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Your 5,000 miles makes me feel better about my 3,382 miles lol. I have an appointment to drop my RDX off tomorrow; hoping to get the tailgate moan and front passenger door rattle fixed. If I remember, I’ll report the system failure bug that happens sometimes when trying to use the controls on the left side of the steering wheel, but I’m not sure that it’ll do anything if they can’t replicate the issue.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Racer

I bought mine on June 9th and have made a few road trips plus my daily commute to and from work. I am hoping with road trips over, I can get down to normal mileage use. I did report the other issue to Acura concerning the left steering wheel control and the system error. They told me it will be fixed in the first system update.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:03 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, after taking a trip to Chicago from Kansas City and back, I have taken my vehicle in for an extended service.. Thought I would pass on what I have requested them to do as this was my laundry list to my dealer:

Infotainment system failed in a number of ways:

1. Could not ever get the AcuraLink App to send directions when the car was off (known problem with others)
2. When the car was started, when trying to send directions via AcuraLink app, on the first attempt it would always say "Route Calculation Failed". On the second try, it would properly send the directions.
I reported isuues 1 and 2 to my dealer as well, so waiting for their response with the solution.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:31 AM
Racer

Just a quick update.. They have had my vehicle for 5 days now and have managed to replicate some of the issues and they have turned over all of their findings to Acura.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:49 AM
Racer

My vehicle has been at the dealership for a week now and they still are working with the Acura Technology group on the Infotainment issues. I sincerely hope they find all of the issues I noted and force Acura to release an update based on the problems I have had with mine.
The following 4 users liked this post by Meto:
dukeh62 (08-28-2018), HillbillyInBC (08-28-2018), SandwichViking (08-31-2018), Wander (08-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I was afraid that with this being Precision Cockpit 1.0 we will be living through some teething pains. Might be a good move to,start with RDX as with th high volume of sales it will flush out the gremlins quickly, but likely piss off a bunch of customers.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I was afraid that with this being Precision Cockpit 1.0 we will be living through some teething pains. Might be a good move to,start with RDX as with th high volume of sales it will flush out the gremlins quickly, but likely piss off a bunch of customers.
Better off than on, I always say.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (08-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 10:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The infotainment stuff is not surprising. It's a new system and it will take some time to get things semi-stable. Not to make excuses, but this is par for the course and not unique to Acura. Navigation in particular has become a low priority for car companies since almost everyone is leveraging phone-based navigation. There's just no way car companies can compete with google/waze/apple maps, so they have pretty much given up on their own navigation and are enabling it through apple car play and android auto.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Better off than on, I always say.
This was brilliant. Well said.
Madd Dog (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 07:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This thread, on top of many others on this and other boards, is just about enough to get me to cancel my order. The 2019 RDX seems to have been rushed into production with many faults, all of which are now falling on dealers to fix and costing buyers lots of wasted time taking their cars in. Honda/Acura should have spent much more time getting the bugs out of the infotainment system before launch. Instead, they seem to think it is OK to inconvenience thousands of buyers and use them as Beta testers.
Fabvsix (10-02-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Pearl77
This thread, on top of many others on this and other boards, is just about enough to get me to cancel my order. The 2019 RDX seems to have been rushed into production with many faults, all of which are now falling on dealers to fix and costing buyers lots of wasted time taking their cars in. Honda/Acura should have spent much more time getting the bugs out of the infotainment system before launch. Instead, they seem to think it is OK to inconvenience thousands of buyers and use them as Beta testers.
I have 3100 miles on mine, not big issues at all. A couple of minor annoyances but overall, a great fricken SUV! I recommend it
Old 08-30-2018, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
If I could go back, I would not have purchased mine. Not trying to be a curmudgeon, but I've just had too many issues...the defective paint job being the hardest to swallow.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Smart man!
Old 08-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Racer

I am starting to regret my purchase and should have paid extra for the Volvo XC60
Old 08-30-2018, 11:55 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am starting to regret my purchase and should have paid extra for the Volvo XC60
Maybe not

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...only-11k-miles
Old 08-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by blutow
The infotainment stuff is not surprising. It's a new system and it will take some time to get things semi-stable. Not to make excuses, but this is par for the course and not unique to Acura.
While true, but Acura could have done a better job. The number issues seem troubling. My first year GLK had a sealer issue but nothing more.
Never had infotainment system go haywire. My neighbor also had first year XC90, no issue with infotainment systems nor much of anything else.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dreamerak
no where near the number of users reported similar problems on this forum. Looks like really got a lemon
Old 08-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by acuraada

no where near the number of users reported similar problems on this forum. Looks like really got a lemon
Oh? How many are reporting problems, the actual number? You seem to be making it seem like I am just one of only a handful without problems which I doubt seriously. What % of buyers does A-zines 19 RDX base represent? Oh well..

No amount love for a vehicle can overcome for 1-2 problems
Old 08-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Oh? How many are reporting problems, the actual number? You seem to be making it seem like I am just one of only a handful without problems which I doubt seriously. What % of buyers does A-zines 19 RDX base represent? Oh well..

No amount love for a vehicle can overcome for 1-2 problems
dude, chill, I am referring to the Volvo forum, people take their problems to the forum. I am making an observation that the Volvo thread cited do not have concurrences from others like we do here.

yes. If you want to talk about controls, number of forums, registered users, age of the users all matters to statistics. Even JD power can’t claim they have majority of owners reporting in. They based their ratings on owners who actually response to their request.

So relax, enjoy your vehicle and don’t take criticism personally.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

I have said multiple times that I would personally wait a year or two before jumping in and got shut down by people saying "this is Acura". I don't think Acura rushed the production of the 2019 RDX, for all you know they could have been working on this since 2014. Just that no matter what brand, when you completely overhaul a car, you are going to have issues. What needs to happen though is Acura needs to come out with updates on a continuous basis. No matter what car, first year is a beta tester run.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:06 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

January thru July Acura RDX sales 33,106, Volvo XC 60, 17,257 nearly double the sales for RDX, I would expect more complaints for RDX
Old 08-30-2018, 09:58 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
You wont see post form the thousands of us that are not having issues. Why, because who wants to post about how they havent had any issues witht their new vehicle. No one will read that. If you are not comfortable, I can understand but do recognize that ALL manufacturers have issues on cars they have produced for years. Any car can have an issue at anytime.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:04 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
For better or worse, this vehicle is introducing an electronics package that will presumably be propagated throughout the Acura lineup. Those of us who for one reason or another were too impatient to wait out the beta-test phase are sacrificing our time and energy ( and patience ) for the greater good.

But leaving your new car at the dealer for a week for them to futz with the electronics? That's epic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
Pearl77 (08-31-2018), Stew4HD (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 03:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dreamerak
January thru July Acura RDX sales 33,106, Volvo XC 60, 17,257 nearly double the sales for RDX, I would expect more complaints for RDX
3G RDX sales did not begin until July in some places. So your 33,106 involves a majority of last generation models.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
We test drove the XC60 and while a nice car we have no regrets. The wife loves her RDX Adavance AWD. Yes it takes some getting used to all the new tech and it will likely be quirky. The XC60 is a very attractive car inside and out, but I think the RDX power-train feels a tad more refined. And At least with Acura my money is going to US and Japan vs. US and China.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDX10
3G RDX sales did not begin until July in some places. So your 33,106 involves a majority of last generation models.
This is unknown and may be unknowable by the consumer. I have yet to see Acura publish a breakdown of 2019 vs previous model year sales, and I'm not holding my breath.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
8,419 as of August 5th RDXOnePack_EP07
Old 08-31-2018, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
For better or worse, this vehicle is introducing an electronics package that will presumably be propagated throughout the Acura lineup. Those of us who for one reason or another were too impatient to wait out the beta-test phase are sacrificing our time and energy ( and patience ) for the greater good.

But leaving your new car at the dealer for a week for them to futz with the electronics? That's epic.
Agreed, I'd be really disappointed if mine was in that situation too.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:57 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeh62
Who cares about facts from Acura about sales?

Some of the early adopters only want to hear how great the car they paid a lot for is. Volvo's historically have terrible reliability, so comparing Acura to Volvo does not really tell you much.

Last edited by cruiserchuck; 08-31-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
It's really funny to read these messages.

No matter which brand of car you purchase, first year model will have some minor or major issues. Advantage: you drive a brand new car that no one has...disadvantage: some first year issue. My friend bought the first year Q50 and he went through hell with it. Now he has a terrible experience with Infiniti brand. But my father in law loves it and not a single issue (he bought his 2 years later.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (08-31-2018), Stew4HD (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Not sure why people are so insecure about their purchases. It is clear that 2019 RDX has common major issue (one pac videos will tell you what they are). They are also people who don’t take their complaints to this forum. Take one YouTube reviewer completely ignores the tailgate moan as he demos it. So you can’t assume either way.

the more we point out issues and surface them, the quicker Acura will acknowledge and fix (so we hope)

Some folks get defensive as if acknowledging issues will devalue their RDX. Really bizarre

Last edited by acuraada; 08-31-2018 at 01:08 PM.
nothome17 (09-04-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
It's really funny to read these messages.

No matter which brand of car you purchase, first year model will have some minor or major issues. Advantage: you drive a brand new car that no one has...disadvantage: some first year issue. My friend bought the first year Q50 and he went through hell with it. Now he has a terrible experience with Infiniti brand. But my father in law loves it and not a single issue (he bought his 2 years later.)
This has been proven to be true by Consumer Reports. Reliability drops on first year models FOR EVERY BRAND when it's a complete redesign. Cars are so complex theses days, and tech moves so fast, that this is just the way it is.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
This is unknown and may be unknowable by the consumer. I have yet to see Acura publish a breakdown of 2019 vs previous model year sales, and I'm not holding my breath.
As I expected, Thank you.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure why people are so insecure about their purchases. It is clear that 2019 RDX has common major issue (one pac videos will tell you what they are). They are also people who don’t take their complaints to this forum. Take one YouTube reviewer completely ignores the tailgate moan as he demos it. So you can’t assume either way.

the more we point out issues and surface them, the quicker Acura will acknowledge and fix (so we hope)

Some folks get defensive as if acknowledging issues will devalue their RDX. Really bizarre

While I don't disagree that people tend to get defensive about the quality of the car they bought, I haven't seen much evidence of "major issues" in the new RDX. Infotainment and a creaky tailgate? Some harsh shifting? "First year glitches" is a fair assessment, but nothing i'd consider major. Maybe I've been unlucky, but I've never had a infotainment system, phone, computer, etc. that didn't have bugs and wig out on a regular basis. It's just the reality of the more complex systems, particularly with major new releases.

I normally never by a first year model, but we had to get a replacement for my wife's 2017 VW that was bought back due to a lemon law claim (they couldn't fix the leaky pano roof after 6 attempts and 1.5 years). Acura folks should spend a little time with a VW/Audi/Ford/Chevy/BMW/Mercedes to reset your standards . All cars have issues, even the Honda and Toyota products these days. I've got my fingers crossed that the first year RDX is fairly reliable, no issues so far. None of the issues I've seen reported concern me, but time will tell. I was willing to take the chance on the first year RDX compared to the German options and the lower price was just a bonus. I just won't own another modern german car that isn't under warranty.
Stew4HD (09-01-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 09:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Agreed, I'd be really disappointed if mine was in that situation too.
They ordered a new infotainment system and it arrived today, but they could not get the install done by the end of the day. With labor day weekend here, the earliest I will get my vehicle back will be next Tuesday which will mark 14 days in service. Plus there are no guarantees that this new system will address any of the issues.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:55 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by blutow
Acura folks should spend a little time with a VW/Audi/Ford/Chevy/BMW/Mercedes to reset your standards . All cars have issues, even the Honda and Toyota products these days. I've got my fingers crossed that the first year RDX is fairly reliable, no issues so far. None of the issues I've seen reported concern me, but time will tell. I was willing to take the chance on the first year RDX compared to the German options and the lower price was just a bonus. I just won't own another modern german car that isn't under warranty.
I was a long time Honda/Acura owner (many were first year models), and had very few problems. For the first time, I now drive an Audi, and it has been trouble free, even though it was a first year model. I suspect long term reliability will not be as good as a Honda/Toyota, but I leased it, so I will not need to worry about being out of warranty. If Acura comes out with a new TLX that has an interior like the RDX, I will probably go back to Acura.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:48 AM
Drifting

Brain fart. I have watched those "intended for Acura internal use" videos, but I forgot they keep a running brag tally of 2019 RDX's sold, and the number in dealer inventory. Thanks for the reminder.

I guess we would have to compare that to the published ( intended for public consumption ) aggregate sales numbers to see how many prior-year RDXs are still being sold vs 2019 RDXs.

As for the original concern about sales numbers, there would appear to be enough 2019 RDXs "in the wild" for endemic problems to be getting reported. Hopefully some of those reports are going to dealer service or another Acura repository rather than just being echoed around on a forum.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:14 AM
Suzuka Master

All you missed was calling those defending our purchase because we are happy with it "fanboys". That is what you seem to be getting at. No one is trying to stop those with issues from posting about them, at all. You don't like seeing positive posts?

Fishing for trouble is never good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 In For Service