2019 RDX vs MDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 06:31 AM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 RDX vs MDX

Just wanted to share some impression of the 2 cars. MY GF and I are looking at replacing our 2016 Civic Touring for a new SUV and went to our local dealer for a test drive yesterday. I had high expectations for the MDX since I owned a 2012 and really liked it.

First impression after starting the test drive is how soft this car drives. It feels more like a luxury minivan than a luxury SUV. Ground clearance was also too low, we just got 40CM of snow last week and I'm not sure it would have cleared the snow banks.
Then the interior with the old Nav system was disappointing to say the least. Compared to the Civic, I felt like I was in a older vehicle. There was way too much alcantara on the seat, the kids would just destroy them. Every time you turn on the car, it defaults to sport mode, Weird for a family SUV.
The red interior is also weird looking with too many black sections, maybe deadpool would enjoy it ;o) My GF and I left the car on a big Meh

Then we jumped in a Platinum tester. Nav system was better but still preferred the Civic's Nav system/touch screen. The ventilated seats seemed to work better with less alcantara. Sound system was also better. The major difference for us was how it drives. You can really tell that this SUV is design to put a smile on your face every time you drive it. After like 3 minutes of driving, we told the sale rep to scratch the MDX, even if he was willing to give us a great deal. I was not a big fan of the piped in engine bay sound but I can live with that. Rear seat heater on aspec should also be included since I have them in my 25k civic... Finally, I told the rep I was buying the ASpec RDX, as soon as Android auto was available... HE jumped out of his seat and went see his GM, then came back and said they have no clue when it will be available. They said this year, dont know when. Other issue is color. My GF is set on white/red and I want blue. I guess acura/google will give us enough time to settle on the right color. BTW, 2020 year model RDX are set to arrive at my local dealer in April. MDX 2020 will remain the same apparently.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
It’s a little bit strange that as soon as you realized the MDX was designed to put a smile on your face, you immediately declared you wouldn’t want one.

Confused.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:13 AM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, the second part is about the RDX platinum. That the one that put a smile on my face ;o).
I hardly see how Acura can sell the MDX not that they have the superior product which is the RDX. Unless you need 3rd row or towing capacity, it is a no brainer to me.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Yes, the MDX is old and in dire need of a FMC. I was hoping it would happen this year but it doesn't look like it. If they don't announce it in New York in April then I'll focus my purchase on the RDX and maybe a few others that are set to launch new models this summer.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by rikee
Sorry for the confusion, the second part is about the RDX platinum. That the one that put a smile on my face ;o).
I hardly see how Acura can sell the MDX not that they have the superior product which is the RDX. Unless you need 3rd row or towing capacity, it is a no brainer to me.
Yeah, it’s no contest between these two. Happy shopping!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
Yes, the MDX is old and in dire need of a FMC. I was hoping it would happen this year but it doesn't look like it. If they don't announce it in New York in April then I'll focus my purchase on the RDX and maybe a few others that are set to launch new models this summer.
it's what happens when each vehicle is on their own schedule.
Acura chose to update the RDX over the MDX
Old 02-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
The RDX was last refreshed in 2013 and was still rocking the old beak through 2018 compared to 2014 for the MDX which got a new exterior for its MMC. RDX needed a refresh and they got it right. The MDX now has the new body but the old interior. They did some electronics updates so Android Auto was added and everything ran a little smoother but that is just a band-aid at this point. The few things the MDX has in its favor are that everything has gone through its growing pains. The V6 and ZF9 are refined to the point that they should be pretty reliable now. Who knows what potential issues we get with the new V6T and 10-speed.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:36 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by rikee
... Finally, I told the rep I was buying the ASpec RDX, as soon as Android auto was available... .
I find it amazing that this is the basis upon which someone makes a car-buying decision.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Haha to be fair to the MDX, it's actually one of the more fun to drive luxury mid size SUV. It's tuned at Nurburgring with Sh awd, and also why it would default to sport mode.

But as others mentioned, it's a design dates back to 2013. Acura since then has made big improvement as shown in the 2019 Rdx.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Sportiness aside, the default dynamic setting ( IDS ) for 3rd-gen MDX is an adjustable parameter. It is linked to the key fobs, like the memory seats and a gazillion other things.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:48 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I find it amazing that this is the basis upon which someone makes a car-buying decision.
True, but we all have our preferences and pet peeves. We recently didn't buy the Audi Q7 because the center console storage space was non-existent and the front cup holders too small. Both of those items my wife utilizes on a daily basis to make things comfortable for her.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottMDX
True, but we all have our preferences and pet peeves. We recently didn't buy the Audi Q7 because the center console storage space was non-existent and the front cup holders too small. Both of those items my wife utilizes on a daily basis to make things comfortable for her.
Hey, it's our own money and the right to do whatever TF we want with it. When I finally get my RDX, I assume there will be things about it that will really irk me. There are in every car.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey, it's our own money and the right to do whatever TF we want with it. When I finally get my RDX, I assume there will be things about it that will really irk me. There are in every car.
The compartment under the touchpad area is my pet peeve with the RDX.

It's so low that you have to lean over to grab whatever you put in it, so you can't get anything from there easily. There are some charging ports there, but the tray there is way too large and flat, a phone would just go sliding around.
Also the cables there would be pretty difficult to hide cause it's out in the open.

Honestly, I've thought of all the things I COULD put there that would work a bit better and it amounts to - an iPad (carplay?), work bag, SO's bag, tissue box?
Maybe a massive mirror to one-up the NX's puny mirror. /s
Old 02-26-2019, 03:41 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by al28
The compartment under the touchpad area is my pet peeve with the RDX.

It's so low that you have to lean over to grab whatever you put in it, so you can't get anything from there easily. There are some charging ports there, but the tray there is way too large and flat, a phone would just go sliding around.
Also the cables there would be pretty difficult to hide cause it's out in the open.

Honestly, I've thought of all the things I COULD put there that would work a bit better and it amounts to - an iPad (carplay?), work bag, SO's bag, tissue box?
Maybe a massive mirror to one-up the NX's puny mirror. /s

Your man purse goes there. Or fanny pack or whathaveyou.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i second that, I have had AA/CarPlay in my last 2 vehicles and I could count on 1 hand the amount of times I’ve used it.