2019 RDX vs. 2020 Telluride

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo
I'm new to Acura, the 2019 RDX is my first, so I have no long-term experience yet, and my Hyundai experience is a decade old, but I had a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. I loved it when I first got it, but they have a long warranty for a reason. I couldn't believe all the stupid things that happened with that car - power seat switch failed (would only go forward and wound up getting stuck in forward position and had to be towed), door arm rest replaced twice for cracking, plus a few other things. But the fuel tank sending unit failing just before the 60k warranty ran out was the final straw. Car always had a faint odor of gas after that was replaced. Maybe the quality has improved in the last decade, but to me, bang for the buck means nothing if the car is cheaply made.
Hyundai/Kia isn't the same company they were just a few years ago, let alone 12 years ago. Almost nothing from 2007 still applies today. They haven't inched up the reliability and customer satisfaction charts, they've skyrocketed. In other words, the exact opposite of Acura.

If Genesis gets their dealer network issues straightened out and GV80 is anywhere near as good as it looks on paper, they're going to start making a serious splash among luxury car buyers Sometime after the GV80 lands you can expect the RWD G70-based GV70 to launch, competing directly with the RDX. If the G70 is any indication of what we can expect, you can bet Acura managers are paying attention. I certainly am.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
I actually like the look of the new Telluride and the Hyundai Palisade
Old 03-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478
Other than the corporate Kia grill (which I don't hate, but getting tired of it), it looks to me like a Volvo XC 90. Kinda bland in my mind.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo
I'm new to Acura, the 2019 RDX is my first, so I have no long-term experience yet, and my Hyundai experience is a decade old, but I had a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. I loved it when I first got it, but they have a long warranty for a reason. I couldn't believe all the stupid things that happened with that car - power seat switch failed (would only go forward and wound up getting stuck in forward position and had to be towed), door arm rest replaced twice for cracking, plus a few other things. But the fuel tank sending unit failing just before the 60k warranty ran out was the final straw. Car always had a faint odor of gas after that was replaced. Maybe the quality has improved in the last decade, but to me, bang for the buck means nothing if the car is cheaply made.
We've owned both a 2007 Santa fe 3.3l limited AWD and a 2009 as well. Drove both to near 150k miles without a SINGLE problem. Nothing, nada. Fill gas, change tires/breaks/fluids and go. Not even a single rattle. Brother in law owns a 2009 Limited and same deal, not a single issue and he's sitting at 100k miles right now. Your experience is the exception IME not the standard.

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Hyundai/Kia isn't the same company they were just a few years ago, let alone 12 years ago. Almost nothing from 2007 still applies today. They haven't inched up the reliability and customer satisfaction charts, they've skyrocketed. In other words, the exact opposite of Acura.

If Genesis gets their dealer network issues straightened out and GV80 is anywhere near as good as it looks on paper, they're going to start making a serious splash among luxury car buyers Sometime after the GV80 lands you can expect the RWD G70-based GV70 to launch, competing directly with the RDX. If the G70 is any indication of what we can expect, you can bet Acura managers are paying attention. I certainly am.
It's not almost nothing, literally nothing from 2007 applies today. They've gone through 2 or 3 generations for their engines and transmissions since then, same with the platforms and infotainment setups. That's what is amazing about Kia and Hyundai. They keep making changes/improvements nearly every single year.

For example the 2011 Kia sorento debuted in 2010 and it was sitting on the 2007-2012 Hyundai santa fe platform. Then they refreshed it in 2014 and put it in a whole new platform with brand new engines. Then again in 2016 for the redesign they put it on a brand new platform, then in 2019 they gave it an 8 speed transmission up from the 6 speed. That's 3 platforms over the course of 8 years! Each one better than the last!

I can't wait to see what the actual GV80 and GV70 will look like. They're going to give Lexus at the least a big headache!

I like all angles and the interior of the Telluride except that front end, however I strongly dislike all angles and the interior of the Palisade. The only thing I think is cool about it is the neat faded taillight lines on the tailgate.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (03-26-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 12:17 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
We had a 2007 Kia Sportage fir almost 8 years and it remained mostly problem free. And as for the problems that we did encounter, they were avoidable.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Other than the corporate Kia grill (which I don't hate, but getting tired of it), it looks to me like a Volvo XC 90. Kinda bland in my mind.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I find the XC90 one of the best looking (if not the best looking) SUV's out there right now (it has been almost universally praised by every blog/review/test drive site as being one of the best looking SUV's on the road). Based on looks alone I'd have purchased an XC90 instead of my MDX, but there's much more to my equation then just looks. Reliability and all touchscreen infotainment (with no physical buttons, every function is buried in menus) were primary reasons why I decided to skip the XC90. That and ride quality, power and fuel economy weren't as good as the MDX.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:19 AM
Drifting

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I find the XC90 one of the best looking (if not the best looking) SUV's out there right now (it has been almost universally praised by every blog/review/test drive site as being one of the best looking SUV's on the road). Based on looks alone I'd have purchased an XC90 instead of my MDX, but there's much more to my equation then just looks. Reliability and all touchscreen infotainment (with no physical buttons, every function is buried in menus) were primary reasons why I decided to skip the XC90. That and ride quality, power and fuel economy weren't as good as the MDX.
Right! I think the XC90 is bland looking, as I said. I also didn't buy one for some of the other reasons that you mentioned. But like you, I generally don't base my buying decision on looks, unless it is sooo ugly. Even then, the features, reliability and other factors sway my buying decision. But ugly is ugly. Personally, I think the current Odyssey is ugly. I don't think the XC90 and Telluride are ugly, mostly bland, in my eye. But so is the current MDX. Kinda bland. No insult intended.

With that said, I haven't seen a Telluride in person, so my thoughts are based only on images I have seen. Additionally, after the really bad experience with the last (and only) Hyundai product I owned, it would take a lot for me to even go into a Kia/Hyundai dealership.

I am very happy with the RDX, and no, it isn't the best looking SUV, or the worst...but it isn't bland looking. And yet, my tastes do change over time....
Old 03-27-2019, 10:49 AM
Racer

Right! I think the XC90 is bland looking, as I said. I also didn't buy one for some of the other reasons that you mentioned. But like you, I generally don't base my buying decision on looks, unless it is sooo ugly. Even then, the features, reliability and other factors sway my buying decision. But ugly is ugly. Personally, I think the current Odyssey is ugly. I don't think the XC90 and Telluride are ugly, mostly bland, in my eye. But so is the current MDX. Kinda bland. No insult intended.

With that said, I haven't seen a Telluride in person, so my thoughts are based only on images I have seen. Additionally, after the really bad experience with the last (and only) Hyundai product I owned, it would take a lot for me to even go into a Kia/Hyundai dealership.

I am very happy with the RDX, and no, it isn't the best looking SUV, or the worst...but it isn't bland looking. And yet, my tastes do change over time....
For me I needed a 3 row SUV that had an overall premium (luxury) look and feel and that really limited my choices to the MDX, the Q7, the QX60, the XC90, the Enclave (RX350L was too small to consider). Most of those are bland frankly, no matter which option you choose. Out of that group I thought the XC90 looked the best, followed by the Q7 and MDX (both of which have certain angles they look ok while others they look bland). It was really between the Q7 and the MDX but the Q7 was much more expensive and repair cost far outpaced the MDX. The QX60 wasn't really an option because it lacks Android Auto and it's driving experience is lackluster. Plus concerns about how long the CVT would hold up paired with the power of the 3.5 long term.

I couldn't afford to wait another 2 years where by that time there will be a whole host of competing options many of which will hopefully look more exciting visually. Just about all mid-sized luxury 3 row suv's right now look rather bland.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 AM
Drifting

For me I needed a 3 row SUV that had an overall premium (luxury) look and feel and that really limited my choices to the MDX, the Q7, the QX60, the XC90, the Enclave (RX350L was too small to consider). Most of those are bland frankly, no matter which option you choose. Out of that group I thought the XC90 looked the best, followed by the Q7 and MDX (both of which have certain angles they look ok while others they look bland). It was really between the Q7 and the MDX but the Q7 was much more expensive and repair cost far outpaced the MDX. The QX60 wasn't really an option because it lacks Android Auto and it's driving experience is lackluster. Plus concerns about how long the CVT would hold up paired with the power of the 3.5 long term.

I couldn't afford to wait another 2 years where by that time there will be a whole host of competing options many of which will hopefully look more exciting visually. Just about all mid-sized luxury 3 row suv's right now look rather bland.
AH! Third row. Gotcha. I have no need for a third row. It's all good! You have an Acura! :-)
Old 03-27-2019, 11:37 AM
Racer

AH! Third row. Gotcha. I have no need for a third row. It's all good! You have an Acura! :-)
Yeah overall I'm satisfied with my purchase thus far. While the infotainment on the 19 MDX leaves much to be desired, it lacks heads up display, driver legroom could be more, and overall luxury quotient of interior could be upgraded some, Acura has great value for the money. A similarly fully loaded Infiniti QX60 is pushing $66k-$67k and the Q7 is over $71k compared to $61k for the MDX.

The infotainment and Android Auto are functional and work fairly well once you get used to it, plus it gets great fuel economy for a vehicle it's size. The addition of the active dampers for 19 on the Advance is a huge plus as well. Hard to beat Acura with bang for the buck. Now if they could only get a better handle on initial quality and reliability especially as it pertains to new redesigns (to be fair they are no worse then most other players in the industry, although there are a few that do this very well and have minimal issues)

The new infotainment design and heads up display on the RDX look great (less any bugs with a brand new product)

Last edited by bobby2478; 03-27-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
wtf; acura has been shit for 10 years! lol

rephrased another way; Acura hasnt been relevant for a decade.
I see Acuras on the road every day, MDX, TLX, TL, MDX all over the place as was all RDX and a smattering of ILX..
Old 03-28-2019, 03:57 PM
CGO
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias1431
Lol, next let's compare a mini with a F150.
Now that would be a good read. The Mini could do circles around the F150 and then hop on the back of it for a ride home ...
Old 04-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Drifting

.... I find the XC90 one of the best looking (if not the best looking) SUV's out there right now (it has been almost universally praised by every blog/review/test drive site as being one of the best looking SUV's on the road). ....
Right! I think the XC90 is bland looking, as I said. I also didn't buy one for some of the other reasons that you mentioned. ....
Since I posted this, I have consciously paid more attention to the XC90s I have seen out and about, and have modified my opinion of the looks. While certainly not an aggressive looking SUV, I now admit it isn't as bland as I remembered. It's also much bigger than I wanted, so discounted it mostly based on that anyway, and Volvo's reliability.

I have yet to see a Telluride in person.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:45 PM
CGO
Advanced

Since I posted this, I have consciously paid more attention to the XC90s I have seen out and about, and have modified my opinion of the looks. While certainly not an aggressive looking SUV, I now admit it isn't as bland as I remembered. It's also much bigger than I wanted, so discounted it mostly based on that anyway, and Volvo's reliability.

KIA will eventually make some for them to sell and us to see ...
Old 04-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

The dealer near my house has some in stock. The rear end actually looks REALLY GOOD, but that front end is really ugly, even in person. Also the side view is ugly and stretched looking. Nope not for me.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
The tulluride looks like an amazing value but it drives and handles like a boat. They do not compete with the RDX.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Have you actually driven the Telluride?

QUOTE=Rmsanger;16407214]The tulluride looks like an amazing value but it drives and handles like a boat. They do not compete with the RDX.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-04-2019, 01:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sportsguy
Have you actually driven the Telluride?

QUOTE=Rmsanger;16407214]The tulluride looks like an amazing value but it drives and handles like a boat. They do not compete with the RDX.
[/QUOTE]

i will but I trust savagegeese’s opnion over mine.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Advanced

"rolling couch on wheels" - savagegeese talking about the Telluride..... sounds pretty good to me!

i think most people do not buy an SUV expecting to get sports car handling.

i will but I trust savagegeese’s opnion over mine.

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-05-2019, 03:54 AM
Suzuka Master

"rolling couch on wheels" - savagegeese talking about the Telluride..... sounds pretty good to me!

i think most people do not buy an SUV expecting to get sports car handling.
I have to agree with you on this. I don't think a large 7/8 passenger family SUV being super soft and comfy is a bad thing. We recently took a road trip in our soft and squishy 2009 Hyundai Veracruz and 4 hours later we got out of the vehicle feeling refreshed and relaxed. It was the most comfortable road trip of my life! I almost fell asleep twice and I never fall asleep in a moving vehicle (thankfully I was not driving Haha).
Old 04-05-2019, 04:14 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at a Kia dealer. Don't buy it.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ninety2
Please expand upon your comment... why?
Old 04-05-2019, 05:22 PM
Null and proud of it

I bought a 2011 Kia Optima EX last year... Currently at 178K miles, is this bad???

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 04-05-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Ninjaboi
Old 04-05-2019, 05:55 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Rmsanger
Please expand upon your comment... why?
Its honestly too soon to say exactly why. We only just got our first batch on the lot. However, I've been with kia for several years and i can speak for the brand itself. We are loaded with recalls and warranty work and some days it feels like thats all we do around here.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:02 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I bought a 2011 Kia Optima EX last year... Currently at 178K miles, is this bad???
There is a engine recall on the 2011-2014 2.4 THETA non-hybrid engines (optima, sorento and sportage). Check if its been done already and check again in a few weeks because this recall is being revised with a newer engine.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Null and proud of it

There is a engine recall on the 2011-2014 2.4 THETA non-hybrid engines (optima, sorento and sportage). Check if its been done already and check again in a few weeks because this recall is being revised with a newer engine.

I had the recall done last summer with no report back so I assume all is well. However, I do burn oil. I'm not sure how much, but my oil light starts coming on every few months when I lurch forward. Just started again a minute ago so I will pour in a another quart or so. Will be going to dealer next week for an oil change, and may inquire about having the steering reset to something that may provide better feel and feedback because what I have now is just shy of horrific and causes me several close calls and destroyed a tire over it a couple of weeks ago.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Its honestly too soon to say exactly why. We only just got our first batch on the lot. However, I've been with kia for several years and i can speak for the brand itself. We are loaded with recalls and warranty work and some days it feels like thats all we do around here.
Are you in the service or sales side of the house? If service than likely your opinion may be skewed by it... I wonder if a Honda or Toyota service tech would feel similarly to a Kia tech.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The asymmetrical exhaust ruins the whole vehicle for me.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:28 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wilsel
The asymmetrical exhaust ruins the whole vehicle for me.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Advanced

several BMW and Acura owners now looking at Telluride in the Telluride forums........
I don't think too many will cross-shop the RDX and Telluride, so I won't bother attempting to compare the two. That said, the Telluride is an impressive package. On paper at least, it shits all over the Pilot. Possibly the MDX, too. If I were looking for something in that class, I'd have it very high on my list. Only the new Explorer offers more appeal in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:38 AM
Suzuka Master

several BMW and Acura owners now looking at Telluride in the Telluride forums........
So have you driven it yet? It's been out for a couple weeks now!
Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Yes, drove the Telluride SX 2 times over last 3 weeks. I would buy the Telluride today but do not want to wait 3-4 months to order one because teh SX Prestige is in very limited supply / color options (I want Black / Gray Nappa interior).

The RDX definitely handles better, but for me the interior and tech / driving features are much better in the Telluride, and having captains chairs and extra cargo space is a bonus.

I like the RDX but too many issues mentioned on this forum (Carplay, etc) and also wish they would make the 2020 RDX Advanced with the black trim/wheels (A-Spec exterior)

Originally Posted by RDX10
So have you driven it yet? It's been out for a couple weeks now!
Old 04-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Advanced

for what it is worth the Telluride forums seems to be a much more positive place as well. 99% of Telluride owners seems very happy and no major issues.

The amount of concerns and issues in the RDX forum scared me away.

Yes, drove the Telluride SX 2 times over last 3 weeks. I would buy the Telluride today but do not want to wait 3-4 months to order one because teh SX Prestige is in very limited supply / color options (I want Black / Gray Nappa interior).

The RDX definitely handles better, but for me the interior and tech / driving features are much better in the Telluride, and having captains chairs and extra cargo space is a bonus.

I like the RDX but too many issues mentioned on this forum (Carplay, etc) and also wish they would make the 2020 RDX Advanced with the black trim/wheels (A-Spec exterior)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

for what it is worth the Telluride forums seems to be a much more positive place as well. 99% of Telluride owners seems very happy and no major issues.

The Telluride is going to be on my list when my lase is up, for sure.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
It's on my radar, too, and I don't need three rows. But if I do go that large, the Explorer's powertrain options would likely trump the Telluride's nicer interior. It gives me hope for the next generation Sorento, however, especially if it keeps a V6 option or gets the new turbo four. But the GV80 is the one I'm really waiting for.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

It's on my radar, too, and I don't need three rows. But if I do go that large, the Explorer's powertrain options would likely trump the Telluride's nicer interior. It gives me hope for the next generation Sorento, however, especially if it keeps a V6 option or gets the new turbo four. But the GV80 is the one I'm really waiting for.
I wonder if/when the GV80 will actually be built. As far as I can tell, it's only a concept atm.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

I wonder if/when the GV80 will actually be built. As far as I can tell, it's only a concept atm.
It's been confirmed and should be launching later this year or early 2020 at the latest.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

It's been confirmed and should be launching later this year or early 2020 at the latest.
If they build it like the website.. HOLY SHIT! That thing looks awesome
Old 04-12-2019, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Ahhh gotcha! Yeah the RDX is a really nice vehicle but it most definitely isn't as spacious inside as the Telluride. I personally could never drive something as large as the Telluride but if I needed something big, it would be on my list for sure!

Make sure if you get one that you come back and post pics! We like seeing pics here hahah

In fairness, the only "new" thing in the Telluride is the engine. Everything else is borrowed from and has been perfected by other Kia and Hyundai models. The RDX is ALL NEW. Now that doesn't mean I think it's ok to push out a half assed product and make new and loyal customers your your beta testers.

Surprised to hear you say that, always took you as someone who would never drive a Kia to be honest.

I'm excited for the GV80, and it cannot come fast enough for the Genesis brand! If they weren't backed by Hyundai and Kia they would be dead already!

I'm just hoping it looks more like the G80/70 and NOT like the new G90. I'm excited about the RWD platform (Hyundai says it's going to be all new and much lighter than the current RWD platform) and I'm certain it will offer the twin turbo 6 and possibly even the 5.0 V8!! If it is ANYTHING like the Genesis models on the inside, it's going to be an amazing place to spend time.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

If they build it like the website.. HOLY SHIT! That thing looks awesome
Right? I mean, I don't personally care for the grille, but rest looks pretty darn good. And if it's too big, little brother GV70 will be along shortly after the GV80's launch. A GV70 mule wearing modified Tucson sheetmetal has already been caught by spy photogs.

Quick Reply: 2019 RDX vs. 2020 Telluride