AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   2019 RDX A-Spec Brakes Question (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/2019-rdx-spec-brakes-question-979361/)

Bryan Nguyen 05-07-2019 09:46 AM

2019 RDX A-Spec Brakes Question

Hello! I just purchased the 2019 RDX A-Spec and I absolutely love it!

One thing I am a bit paranoid about is the feel of the brakes. I'm sorry if this has been asked already as I am a new member however when I brake, there is an initial air feel before it really gets into braking my car. I don't know how to explain it but it's not a smooth brake from press of the pedal to complete stop.

The initial press of the brake pedal has an airy, hitch feel and then it smoothly brakes the car. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is it just how the brakes operate on the RDX A-Spec or is it something that will go away with normal use?

Thanks so much and looking forward to participating in this community!

Madd Dog 05-07-2019 10:43 AM

There have been a lot of comments about brake feel. If you are used to Honda brakes, these ain’t them. There is no Honda initial bite. You do have to press harder than you might be used to. However, they do feel a lot more like my BMW brakes did. When switching from her Accord to the BMW, and now to the RDX, my wife has sometimes been put off. Since we have had at least one Honda in the driveway since 1981, and the Bimmer and the RDX are my cars, I have not had an issue. Press harder, is all I can say.

I expect that because of the automatic braking capabilities, they might have toned down the initial bite and made it more progressive so as to avoid jerking.

Bryan Nguyen 05-07-2019 11:06 AM

Thanks for your response! I'm not sure if I should have it checked as I JUST drove it off the lot or just give it a few weeks and if it still bothers me, have it checked then or have them confirm that it's just how the brakes are and nothing wrong w/ my particular vehicle.

starlord 05-07-2019 11:17 AM

Acura designed this for a smoother linear braking. It was weird at first, but I got use to it.

Bryan Nguyen 05-07-2019 11:21 AM

Starlord, are you experiencing what I'm experiencing then? The initial press of the brake pedal is a bit hard and then it gets smooth. If so, Assuming that's how the brakes were designed?

acuraada 05-07-2019 11:58 AM

The feel is consistent with German counterparts. I have a glk now and the feel is about the same. Never had a Honda so I can't compare.

No issues with the brakes what so ever.

starlord 05-07-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan Nguyen (Post 16422745)
Starlord, are you experiencing what I'm experiencing then? The initial press of the brake pedal is a bit hard and then it gets smooth. If so, Assuming that's how the brakes were designed?

I did experience this at first which does feel a bit scary because it feels like the car will not brake on time. However, this went away as I think there was a "break in" period. I never felt this design with my civic and my A4 brakes were really grabby.

Bryan Nguyen 05-07-2019 12:34 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I will break it in a bit and report back after 500-1000 miles!

quantum7 05-07-2019 12:38 PM

See TSB 19-022 - Soft Brake Pedal or Excessive Brake Pedal Travel in the 2019 TSB thread.....if this is similar to what you are feeling.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...letins-970256/

Bryan Nguyen 05-07-2019 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by quantum7 (Post 16422804)
See TSB 19-022 - Soft Brake Pedal or Excessive Brake Pedal Travel in the 2019 TSB thread.....if this is similar to what you are feeling.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...letins-970256/

Thank you for responding, my vehicle is not included in recall.

Lalin 05-07-2019 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan Nguyen (Post 16422681)
Hello! I just purchased the 2019 RDX A-Spec and I absolutely love it!

One thing I am a bit paranoid about is the feel of the brakes. I'm sorry if this has been asked already as I am a new member however when I brake, there is an initial air feel before it really gets into braking my car. I don't know how to explain it but it's not a smooth brake from press of the pedal to complete stop.

The initial press of the brake pedal has an airy, hitch feel and then it smoothly brakes the car. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is it just how the brakes operate on the RDX A-Spec or is it something that will go away with normal use?

Thanks so much and looking forward to participating in this community!

I have a 2016 RDX and the brake action/feel is exceptional. Bites early and very linear.
I test drove a 2019 and immediately noticed how mushy the brake pedal was. Nothing happening during the first inch or so of travel, and then a big bite. I did not like it at all and found to be a big step back.