2019 RDX rear hip room

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 RDX rear hip room

Hello,

I am looking to buy a 2019 Acrua RDX. I was hoping to fit 2 adults and one car seat in the back row. I was surprise to learn that the rear hip room for RDX was 50 inches, whereas for Mazda CX5 it is 55 inches. The rear shoulder rooms for the 2 cars are comparable (RDX = 56.6 vs 54.8). My parents are on the wider side (from the hips) and they will sit in the back seats. So, is the hip room or the shoulder room is a better measure of whether or not i can fit a car seat and 2 adults on the back comfortably.

Also, for folks who have an RDX - do you think it can fit 3 adults comfortably say for a 1-hr drive. Thank you for your help.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:07 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
My 2007 RDX is a bit narrow in the back seat, it has a "tear drop" shape to the body... It's not too bad and I'm sure the new one is much better!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Viral Mehta
Hello,

I am looking to buy a 2019 Acrua RDX. I was hoping to fit 2 adults and one car seat in the back row. I was surprise to learn that the rear hip room for RDX was 50 inches, whereas for Mazda CX5 it is 55 inches. The rear shoulder rooms for the 2 cars are comparable (RDX = 56.6 vs 54.8). My parents are on the wider side (from the hips) and they will sit in the back seats. So, is the hip room or the shoulder room is a better measure of whether or not i can fit a car seat and 2 adults on the back comfortably.

Also, for folks who have an RDX - do you think it can fit 3 adults comfortably say for a 1-hr drive. Thank you for your help.
I would suggest taking your parents and your car seat over to the Acura dealership and have a test drive with them in the back seat in both a RDX and MDX to get a comparison. Measurements are helpful, but actually sitting in the vehicle is even better. The MDX offers a third row which might be an option if the RDX back seat is too tight with the car seat and your parents seated.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:08 AM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by Viral Mehta
Hello,

I wouldn't give that much credence to the measurements - for reasons I don't understand they often don't represent reality, probably due to how it's measured.

I've sat in both the back seats of the RDX and CX-5 and there's no way the CX-5 can handle two adults and a car seat while the RDX might be able to. The RDX's flat floor helps a lot but it's also definitely wider than the CX-5. The RDX is about a half size bigger in the back seat than the CX-5. However, both cars, probably for side impact protection reasons like to place their passengers a bit more inboard than on most cars I've driven. It's not a lot but it does mean with two people and a car seat that it's going to be a bit awkward.

Next week I'm taking both the CX-5 and RDX out for an extended test drive to see how they both work with a car seat and my in-laws in the back - I suggest you go to the dealer with your car seat in hand and hook it up and see what happens.

Last edited by supafamous; 12-20-2018 at 09:14 AM.