2019 RDX marks the rise of Acura

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Plantman4
Folks,
Don't get too excited too quickly. Yes, the improvements in the 2019 RDX appear positive, however, I would wait for at least one production year before jumping in. Acura/Honda have had major problems building quality transmissions in many of their models. The transmission judder in the RDX it a good example. Acura made no effort to find a real fix for the problem. I had to get rid of my 2014 RDX. Don't become part of Acura's quality assurance/feedback program!
I mean, it's not like the RDX is doing anything revolutionary for Honda. I would hope the 2018 Accord has brought to light any transmission issues.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I mean, it's not like the RDX is doing anything revolutionary for Honda. I would hope the 2018 Accord has brought to light any transmission issues.
I have to say I agree with him. Furthermore the RDX is the first vehicle to mate the 10 speed (literally still can’t beleive this is a common thing nowadays) to SH-AWD so it is essentially doing something new for Acura and Honda. In terms of the other technologies, I would agree with you there because everything else is old, even the new generation SH-AWD has been on the MDX since 2016.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:23 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Comfy
So is this car not based on the CRV platform? That sounds too implausible for me to comprehend. Both cars are nearly the same size and have similar proportions and seating capabilities. I understand that no other body panels are shared either interior or exterior, but calling it a new platform is too much. Is there a good enough reason to spend on designing a different platform when there CRV is so newly launched. Someone please explain it to me. I would assume something like VW and Audi using same platforms to create different cars.
Motortrend said it is based off the CRV, but with a modified chassis and different powertrain.
The engine is shared with Civic & Accord.
The 10 speed transmission is shared with Odyssey and Accord.

Most of the uniqueness is in the exterior and interior design.

But this is fairly normal for all luxury brands, it's not a negative. If you buy a Porsche Macan, it's still based off an Audi.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mike7
Motortrend said it is based off the CRV, but with a modified chassis and different powertrain.
The engine is shared with Civic & Accord.
The 10 speed transmission is shared with Odyssey and Accord.

Most of the uniqueness is in the exterior and interior design.

But this is fairly normal for all luxury brands, it's not a negative. If you buy a Porsche Macan, it's still based off an Audi.
And the Audi has dipped into the VW parts bin too.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by russianDude
Non-sense! Honda knows how to build engines. I am original owner of 2008 RDX (turbo) with 160K miles. Powertrain has been flawless. There are nearly zero problems with Turbo in 1st gen.
Me too! I also still drive my bought-new 2008 RDX and there's never been a hint of an issue with the turbo. I think I read at the time that Acura/Honda had lab-tested the turbo to 400,000 miles. This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned (and more fun to drive than the second gen), which has made buying a replacement problematic. Hopefully this new RDX will be the answer, though I don't really want or need a car that's six inches longer than the 2008.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cheffip
Me too! I also still drive my bought-new 2008 RDX and there's never been a hint of an issue with the turbo. I think I read at the time that Acura/Honda had lab-tested the turbo to 400,000 miles. This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned (and more fun to drive than the second gen), which has made buying a replacement problematic. Hopefully this new RDX will be the answer, though I don't really want or need a car that's six inches longer than the 2008.
Which is why I loved the 1G, it was the perfect size. Now everything is getting so large! But in fairness the 1G’s trunk was on the small side and rear seat leg room was a little bit on the low side so I hope they put that extra 6 inches to really good use.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:14 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Which is why I loved the 1G, it was the perfect size. Now everything is getting so large! But in fairness the 1G’s trunk was on the small side and rear seat leg room was a little bit on the low side so I hope they put that extra 6 inches to really good use.
That's so true. The BMW 3 Series is the best example. If you want the true 3 series pedigree, you almost have to go with a 2 series now.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:04 PM
Instructor

That's so true. The BMW 3 Series is the best example. If you want the true 3 series pedigree, you almost have to go with a 2 series now.
Yesterday, I briefly dropped by the BMW dealership to check out their new third generation X-3. Very classy and beautiful and expensive! But also felt big which has me a little worried about all those extra inches moving up from the Gen 1 RDX to Gen 3. OTOH, I quickly checked out the X-1 which looked and felt like an econobox!
Old 01-21-2018, 07:17 PM
Instructor

As a trivia note, the X3 is now several inches longer than the first X5. The new RDX will likely be just an inch or two shorter than the first-gen MDX.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

The 2 series is the true three series, the new three series is way too large. I totally agree with you.

As a trivia note, the X3 is now several inches longer than the first X5. The new RDX will likely be just an inch or two shorter than the first-gen MDX.
FWIW even the original 1G X3 had a larger interior space than the 1G X5 at the time. So BMW grew the X5 rather than fix the packaging downfalls. Yup you are correct, the original RDX was 180” long, I expect the new one to be 186”ish long. Which in today’s standards is still considered in the compact class. Let’s just hope it drives anything like the 1G did and NOTHING like the 2G does.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:16 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Personally, I'm hoping for 188-190", a similar length to my TLX. I'm giving the RDX a hard look when my TLX lease is done, and I want the extra space. The CDX should satiate the compact crowd whenever, of if ever it comes to our shores.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I get the feeling they're bumping the new RDX and eventual MDX up a notch, and making room for the CDX.

I mean, with what we believe the RDX will come with... it won't be cheap. Unless Acura found a way to do things that no other automaker can... and I don't think that's the case.

But, that's just a guess. I too am a bit surprised the CDX isn't sold in NA. Pretty sure that would sell like hot cakes. Kill off the ILX and have the CDX in it's place. It will sell like a true entry level vehicle would, in terms of volume numbers.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Personally, I'm hoping for 188-190", a similar length to my TLX. I'm giving the RDX a hard look when my TLX lease is done, and I want the extra space. The CDX should satiate the compact crowd whenever, of if ever it comes to our shores.
All a question of personal preferences and needs of course. My 1G RDX is nimble and fun to drive in a way the bigger MDX isn’t. If your priority is space, maybe the MDX or equivalent is a better choice.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:28 PM
There are four lights!

All a question of personal preferences and needs of course. My 1G RDX is nimble and fun to drive in a way the bigger MDX isn’t. If your priority is space, maybe the MDX or equivalent is a better choice.
My wife gets to drive the bigger vehicle as we use that as the family hauler. We have a 2015 Outback that she really likes, but we aren't looking to replace anytime soon. But I did tell her that when time comes, we'll probably look at replacing the Outback with a MDX. Probably when the 4G MDX gets the MMC, we'll do an upgrade then. I prefer to stay in the mid size for now, and the only reason being that these damn car seats and strollers are so big and chunky. My vehicle is secondary anyway, but it would be nice to have a bit more space and a hatch at the back - the reason I'm looking at a crossover again. I had an X3 with the adaptive suspension and that thing handled GREAT. If Acura can even mimic 80% of that, I'd be pretty happy.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My current 2004 TSX was an early release for North America, purchased new in the spring of 2003. . 300,000 km on it now and still going strong with great reliability. Was looking to replace our 2005 Nissan Xtrail with a CRV this year but will closely monitor the RDX. I expect a tech version will be close to 8,000 CAD more than the CRV Touring and may just go for it if available by late summer and depending on the actual specs and reviews. Plusses are the Acura interior, the 10 speed automatic vs the CVT, the extra hp and torque even with the negative of requiring premium fuel, the center stack controls looks great and I prefer the styling over the CRV. There are so many CRVs on the road, nice to have a vehicle a bit different. We are planning a 2.5 month road trip around Canada and the US this fall...if undecided about the RDX, the TSX would still be up for it.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by nuke
My current 2004 TSX was an early release for North America, purchased new in the spring of 2003. . 300,000 km on it now and still going strong with great reliability. Was looking to replace our 2005 Nissan Xtrail with a CRV this year but will closely monitor the RDX. I expect a tech version will be close to 8,000 CAD more than the CRV Touring and may just go for it if available by late summer and depending on the actual specs and reviews. Plusses are the Acura interior, the 10 speed automatic vs the CVT, the extra hp and torque even with the negative of requiring premium fuel, the center stack controls looks great and I prefer the styling over the CRV. There are so many CRVs on the road, nice to have a vehicle a bit different. We are planning a 2.5 month road trip around Canada and the US this fall...if undecided about the RDX, the TSX would still be up for it.
Don't forget it also has SH-AWD instead of faux-wheel drive.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:25 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I too am a bit surprised the CDX isn't sold in NA. Pretty sure that would sell like hot cakes. Kill off the ILX and have the CDX in it's place. It will sell like a true entry level vehicle would, in terms of volume numbers.
Replacing the ILX with the CDX would make them even more of a truck company than they already are - not great for their new "performance" image. I say keep the ILX if they can drastically improve it, or better yet replace it with a 2 or 4-door coupe with a decent powertrain. This is why the CLA and 1-series sold decently despite being their brands' entry-level offerings.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by silverTL6
Replacing the ILX with the CDX would make them even more of a truck company than they already are - not great for their new "performance" image. I say keep the ILX if they can drastically improve it, or better yet replace it with a 2 or 4-door coupe with a decent powertrain. This is why the CLA and 1-series sold decently despite being their brands' entry-level offerings.
The CLA is a piece of Romanian junk. I would honestly take a Civic Touring over a CLA250 for the same money. The only reason it sells is because of the badge on the hood.
The following users liked this post:
MTD (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 12:20 PM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by silverTL6
We live in an age of crossovers. There's nothing wrong with crossovers IMO. Look at BMW. They have a X1 to X6, and soon to be, a new X7. If anything, BMW is more a truck company than Acura is at the moment. As mentioned in a previous thread, I say chop the RLX and ILX, and make the TLX the sole sedan in the lineup. Introduce a new RSX/Integra as the baby NSX coupe to replace the ILX. Some have said they should just Acura-ize the CTR as the bones for this baby NSX. Bring the CDX over from China. Acura doesn't need a huge lineup to be successful. They just need a more focused and fleshed out lineup.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fiatlux
The CLA is a piece of Romanian junk. I would honestly take a Civic Touring over a CLA250 for the same money. The only reason it sells is because of the badge on the hood.
Any suggestions for a great compact lux SUV? As I mentioned earlier, the X1 didn’t impress me and a major magazine said it handled comparably to the Ford Escape lol. I’m garage-challenged but I’m thinking I may have to squeeze in this new RDX (or possibly X3) to get the features, sportiness and sense of quality I’m looking for.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

Porsche is also an SUV company and no longer a sports car company. They have been since the Cayenne came out- and they sell more SUVs than anything else. The purists were/are pissed, but everyone else is quite alright with it, so it seems
Old 01-23-2018, 01:50 PM
There are four lights!

Any suggestions for a great compact lux SUV? As I mentioned earlier, the X1 didn’t impress me and a major magazine said it handled comparably to the Ford Escape lol. I’m garage-challenged but I’m thinking I may have to squeeze in this new RDX (or possibly X3) to get the features, sportiness and sense of quality I’m looking for.
If you're able to wait till summer, it wouldn't hurt to wait for the new RDX. If it ticks all the boxes on your list, you'll probably save a decent amount compared to a German lux.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Some more information from TOV.

The following 5 users liked this post by dzionny_dzionassi:
cairish77 (01-25-2018), GW208 (01-23-2018), ostrich (01-24-2018), tallLeRoy (01-25-2018), ZipSpeed (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 01:10 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
While I am encouraged that most of the RDX Prototype is production ready, I also heard from these interviews that:

1. The production vehicle wheels will be less than 21"
2. This beautiful red colour is NOT going to be available - instead, the RLX red will be

I am wondering why this beautiful red should not be available? It's the same situation with the TLX prototype.... as for the wheels, I surely hope that there will be a 21" wheel upgrade option.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ostrich
While I am encouraged that most of the RDX Prototype is production ready, I also heard from these interviews that:

1. The production vehicle wheels will be less than 21"
2. This beautiful red colour is NOT going to be available - instead, the RLX red will be

I am wondering why this beautiful red should not be available? It's the same situation with the TLX prototype.... as for the wheels, I surely hope that there will be a 21" wheel upgrade option.
That paint is a $6000 upgrade on the NSX. What I don’t understand is how hard is it to make that same color but for like a $500 upgrade? I really don’t understand it. Time and time again I hear how much people like that color but Acura won’t offer it. Sidenote: I LOVE the san marino red from the TLX, MDX, and RLX so BRING IT ON!!!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:22 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
I am as excited as many of you to see the new RDX with all the bells and whistles. But guys lets not forget one thing: Acura can't charge the same price as an X3. People won't but their cars. Acura and Infiniti need to remain somehow reasonable. I am not saying that Acura lineup shouldn't have pano, HUD, nice design and etc. But we cannot ask A-Z for $50K lol.

Even Lexus struggles with pricing. Lexus IS is a great car but sales numbers are all time low. Why? Too expensive and people opt in for German cars for that price or they go for Q50 and TLX.

But overall, I am extremely happy with new Acura design and features that they are going to offer. The RDX is very well received by the public and now can't wait to test drive it
Old 01-24-2018, 09:25 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also excited with the new Acura RDX announcement and it ticks a lot of boxes, and I am more excited because hopefully we will see these changes on all of Acura's line up. I was so close to buying the MDX, but did not just because of the infotainment system and how dated it looked. I am not sure if the MDX will have any more added to it than all the new stuff added to the RDX.

Do we have any information on 360 degree camera on the new RDX and parking assist feature? Will there be any improvement in the Acura watch? How doe sit compare to Honda sensing, is the Acura watch superior and have more features than Honda sensing?
Old 01-24-2018, 09:28 AM
Team Owner

That paint is a $6000 upgrade on the NSX. What I don’t understand is how hard is it to make that same color but for like a $500 upgrade? I really don’t understand it. Time and time again I hear how much people like that color but Acura won’t offer it. Sidenote: I LOVE the san marino red from the TLX, MDX, and RLX so BRING IT ON!!!
It's a 3 stage painting process, vs a 2 stage for any normal car. I don't know the intricacies of it, but there's reason for the price tag.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
It's a 3 stage painting process, vs a 2 stage for any normal car. I don't know the intricacies of it, but there's reason for the price tag.
Iirc the RL had a 3 stage paint coat as well. But with that aside, I am not saying they need to do the same paint job as the NSX for $500, I am saying they should find a way to match the color and at least come close to that paint job for cheap. I also admit to not knowing the intricacies of the paint job either so possibly I am way out to lunch on expecting anything near as nice for a much lower price. With that said, it’s nice to see Acura embracing more bold colors with all models now offering a bright bold red color and that deep blue on the TLX and also that red leather interior on the TLX.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
If it comes in the new Brilliant Red Metallic that is offered on the 2018 RLX, I am all in. It is absolutely stunning in person. Its only a $400 option on the RLX for what its worth.

2018 Acura RLX in Brilliant Red at Jay Wolfe Acura
Old 01-24-2018, 08:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Acurafiend
If it comes in the new Brilliant Red Metallic that is offered on the 2018 RLX, I am all in. It is absolutely stunning in person. Its only a $400 option on the RLX for what its worth.

This car in this colour looks great! I wish the interior of it was more luxurious.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:35 PM
Drifting

From that video, the Acura guy did say that the new RDX will get this Brilliant Red that the RLX has! So there is hope.... :-)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Drifting

Oh really? It's that much of an upgrade!? Hmm.... kinda sad as it looks suspiciously like the Mazda Soul Red Crystal! LOL! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that Mazda red too... but it's not a $6,000 upgrade
Old 01-25-2018, 01:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Agreed! I absolutely love that new red color that is currently offered across the board except the RDX. So deep and bold. Remind me a lot of the BMW imola red color.

Originally Posted by ostrich
Oh really? It's that much of an upgrade!? Hmm.... kinda sad as it looks suspiciously like the Mazda Soul Red Crystal! LOL! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that Mazda red too... but it's not a $6,000 upgrade
Yeah it is, which is crazy. I totally agree, it’s so much like the mazda red, but I’m certain that when it really comes down to it, it is WAY higher quality. Though I would not be opposed to them offering the Mazda paint color either. Basque red just doesn’t do it for me.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:47 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take my money now, please. Just not tooooo much of it

2019 RDX for the win!
Old 01-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Agreed! I absolutely love that new red color that is currently offered across the board except the RDX. So deep and bold. Remind me a lot of the BMW imola red color.

Yeah it is, which is crazy. I totally agree, it’s so much like the mazda red, but I’m certain that when it really comes down to it, it is WAY higher quality. Though I would not be opposed to them offering the Mazda paint color either. Basque red just doesn’t do it for me.
Not so sure about that. i am not impressed at all with the paint quality on my 16. No where near what my German cars exhibit.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by chickdr
Not so sure about that. i am not impressed at all with the paint quality on my 16. No where near what my German cars exhibit.
I think you’re misunderstanding what I was trying to say. I was saying I am sure the $6000 paint job on the NSX is much better quality than the Mazda soul red mica paint color even though they look somewhat similar. In terms of the standard Acura paint on the mainstream models, it is has been my experience that Acura uses very “soft” paint and this tends to show wear quite fast as opposed to the germans who tend to use very “hard” paint.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:46 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Pa

I think you’re misunderstanding what I was trying to say. I was saying I am sure the $6000 paint job on the NSX is much better quality than the Mazda soul red mica paint color even though they look somewhat similar. In terms of the standard Acura paint on the mainstream models, it is has been my experience that Acura uses very “soft” paint and this tends to show wear quite fast as opposed to the germans who tend to use very “hard” paint.
I get you. Agreed the NSX would hopefully use a better paint than the regular cars.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I think Acura should turn the ILX into a 5-door hatch or atleast offer that as an option. It is a toss up for me with the CDX or a 5-door ILX hatchback. I can't see the CDX with anything other than the 1.5L turbo from the CR-V with a 91 octane requirement (along with the same crappy CR-V awd system). Acura could do a ILX coupe, sedan, 5-door hatch with sh-awd, add a detuned version of the RDX 2.0L turbo, 306hp 2.0L Type-S Turbo, 10AT, or 6MT. I think the Civic 5-door hatch out performs and has more space than the HR-V in every single category. Why wouldn't an ILX 5-door hatch and CDX be any different? Acura isn't doing a good job at entry level vehicles to appeal to the younger generation to hook them early like they did in the Acura Integra days.

The 3rd Gen RDX is within my price range; but, I will still keep my 08 RDX because there is nothing wrong with it with +146,000 miles on her. I'm really holding out for the spec sheets and the first comparison tests on YouTube, on Motorweek, and from car magazines. I will be happy if Acura (and Infiniti) can start to get mentioned in the same breath as BMW, MB, Audi, Jag, Alfa Romeo, Lexus, and Caddy again.

Last edited by mrgold35; 01-26-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I think Acura should turn the ILX into a 5-door hatch or atleast offer that as an option. It is a toss up for me with the CDX or a 5-door ILX hatchback. I can't see the CDX with anything other than the 1.5L turbo from the CR-V with a 91 octane requirement (along with the same crappy CR-V awd system). Acura could do a ILX coupe, sedan, 5-door hatch with sh-awd, add a detuned version of the RDX 2.0L turbo, 306hp 2.0L Type-S Turbo, 10AT, or 6MT. I think the Civic 5-door hatch out performs and has more space than the HR-V in every single category. Why wouldn't an ILX 5-door hatch and CDX be any different? Acura isn't doing a good job at entry level vehicles to appeal to the younger generation to hook them early like they did in the Acura Integra days.

The 3rd Gen RDX is within my price range; but, I will still keep my 08 RDX because there is nothing wrong with it with +146,000 miles on her. I'm really holding out for the spec sheets and the first comparison tests on YouTube, on Motorweek, and from car magazines. I will be happy if Acura (and Infiniti) can start to get mentioned in the same breath as BMW, MB, Audi, Jag, Alfa Romeo, Lexus, and Caddy again.
Hatchbacks sell like whatever is the opposite of hotcakes in the US. No chance they'll offer one when all they have to do is give it a slight lift and add some plastic cladding to get them flying off the lots. See: QX30, GLA, HRV, Crosstrek, etc.

Quick Reply: 2019 RDX marks the rise of Acura